The Man From U.N.C.L.E.: Film Adaptation

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The Man From U.N.C.L.E.: Film Adaptation

Post by Kristatos »

Yes, getting back on topic, the casting of Tom Cruise made me groan a bit. Another remake of a '60s spy TV series with Cruise in the lead?

And Robert Vaughn is a class act. I loved him in Hustle as well as UNCLE.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

bjmdds wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote:Splendid. I know Brit is not talkative, one of my facebook friends, a well-aged man, is a friend of one of her friends. And he said her youth was really destroyed by Peter Sellers' rudeness to her. Perhaps that's why she refuses to collect more friends? Who Knows? However, you are really lucky to meet such splendid people. Who are you meeting next?
We never know until we get there. Two years ago, of all people, Noel Neil of the original Superman tv series here was standing right next to us in the lobby when the band was playing. She was not that friendly. We stood next to and spoke with Maryam D'Abo last year at Chiller Theatre's convention and she was quite friendly. I spotted her immediately in the crowd. We have met the late Larry Hagman (J R) as well about 10 years ago at Chiller Theatre. He was the nicest person that you could meet. He actually approached my friend and inquired about his new camera and we spoke to him in the lobby for a good 10 minutes. We are quite sad to see him pass away.
Like I said, sir. You're lucky to meet such splendid people. Well, I myself hope I'll meet Robert Vaughn someday, because he's indeed one of my favourite actors. My uncle met Raquel Welch, once, it was a long ago, and he said she was indeed a great person and very caring. Well, I hope I'll drag myself into this kind of social life, because it's pretty entertaining and pleasant.
Mazer Rackham wrote:Can't take these things personally. I've gotten plenty of warnings usually for calling Benny an ignorant slut :twisted:

I'm not sure when Tommy Cruise is going to have time to do UNCLE, he's got several movies on the horizon. Sad but it may not see the light of day without him, it one of the titles Hollywood executive piss themselves over trying to get it right.
Naah, if they're going to make it boom-bang pointless action film in the mould of Tom Cruise formula, then, it won't be an UNCLE movie. I heard they were up to set the story in 1960s, again, which means they probably would get a decent director to do it? I really think The Artist director, Michel Hazanvicius should direct the film, he really can make an accurate reply to its own timeline, I've seen his French Eurospy film parody OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies. Perhaps Jean Dujardin should get the role of a new protagonist, a French hero perhaps? Well, UNCLE is an international espionage organization, Solo was American, Ilya was Russian, so why not have something else? I'd say include a different angle this time, centering on brand new characters. It should crossover with one of the UNCLE episodes, probably, featuring Solo (Vaughn) slightly appearing (captured from the old episodes), well they can do anything photoshop or computers these days. However, my thought is they should never ever modernize a classic, and specially leave those modern "rogue agent" thing out of the project, we've had enough of them, already. Each Hollywood movie nowadays has a story centered on a character who's been either blackmailed and accused for being a traitor, or betraying his country for his own pleasures. That doesn't work with a classic spy movie, let alone UNCLE. And also, they shouldn't re-cast Solo or Kuryakin. Not everything is James Bond-like. They could simply go on with the same canon and feature different characters, much like how it was with Charlie's Angels (discounting the 2004 movie and the 2011 rebooted series, which were both godawful).
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I like the idea of having different UNCLE agents, rather than recasting the roles of Napoleon Solo and Ilya Kuryakin. That's similar to the approach taken by the Charlie's Angels movies, where they cast new Angels rather than revive the old characters played by different actresses.
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Kristatos wrote:I like the idea of having different UNCLE agents, rather than recasting the roles of Napoleon Solo and Ilya Kuryakin. That's similar to the approach taken by the Charlie's Angels movies, where they cast new Angels rather than revive the old characters played by different actresses.
Precisely. Similar to what they've done with Charlie's Angels throughout the decades, or even with Mission: Impossible canon, the protagonist as far as I remember was Rollin Hand at first, but Phelps replaced him in the second season because Martin Landeau did quit the series for some reason, but however, they should never ever do something like what they've done to Jim Phelps with the first film. They could simply have made him retire instead of making him a villain, which shows how the writers are untalented. However, I would really love to see a UNCLE film set in the 1960s, with brand new characters, like I said. Has anyone seen Michel Hazanavicius' OSS 117 parody? Here's the trailer, if you want to check it out.

[video][/video]

A longer and cleaner trailer, more appropriate, but it's in French:
[video][/video]
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

JackJamesBond007 wrote:
Kristatos wrote:I like the idea of having different UNCLE agents, rather than recasting the roles of Napoleon Solo and Ilya Kuryakin. That's similar to the approach taken by the Charlie's Angels movies, where they cast new Angels rather than revive the old characters played by different actresses.
Precisely. Similar to what they've done with Charlie's Angels throughout the decades, or even with Mission: Impossible canon, the protagonist as far as I remember was Rollin Hand at first, but Phelps replaced him in the second season because Martin Landeau did quit the series for some reason, but however, they should never ever do something like what they've done to Jim Phelps with the first film. They could simply have made him retire instead of making him a villain, which shows how the writers are untalented.]
Actually, that's not quite correct. In the first season, the lead character was Dan Briggs played by Steven Hill (that's right, Old-Man Adam Schiff from the first ten seasons of Law & Order!). It was from Season Two until the very end that Peter Graves would play Team Leader Jim Phelps, while Martin Landau and then-wife Barbara Bain would be on the show from Seasons One to Three. The thing that was unique about that show what that it was all about THE TEAM and how each member complimented each other's abilities and totally functioned as a whole without the "Superstar" nonsense that the movies would be ruined by thanks to Tom Cruise's rampant egomania in making it ALL ABOUT HIM. That sure wasn't Mission: Impossible.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Barry Niven wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote:
Precisely. Similar to what they've done with Charlie's Angels throughout the decades, or even with Mission: Impossible canon, the protagonist as far as I remember was Rollin Hand at first, but Phelps replaced him in the second season because Martin Landeau did quit the series for some reason, but however, they should never ever do something like what they've done to Jim Phelps with the first film. They could simply have made him retire instead of making him a villain, which shows how the writers are untalented.]
Actually, that's not quite correct. In the first season, the lead character was Dan Briggs played by Steven Hill (that's right, Old-Man Adam Schiff from the first ten seasons of Law & Order!). It was from Season Two until the very end that Peter Graves would play Team Leader Jim Phelps, while Martin Landau and then-wife Barbara Bain would be on the show from Seasons One to Three. The thing that was unique about that show what that it was all about THE TEAM and how each member complimented each other's abilities and totally functioned as a whole without the "Superstar" nonsense that the movies would be ruined by thanks to Tom Cruise's rampant egomania in making it ALL ABOUT HIM. That sure wasn't Mission: Impossible.
Thanks for correcting me, BN. However, you got my point about M:I/Tom Cruise movies, just like you said, he's gonna make the film all about him, hope he'll be ruled out of the UNCLE project because we all know and most likely he does not belong to this world. I'll tell you that Steven Sodesburgh would have made the film worked, really, George Clooney also could have been a good choice for the universe, not as Solo nor as Kuryakin, though. Brand new character like I said, set in 1960s again. They both did pretty job well done in the Ocean trilogy, I loved those threesome heist movies. But, choosing someone like Channing Tatum or Tom Cruise for the role of Napoleon Solo? Come on!! Cruise; Action, CGI, Self-Centered-themed, stressful. Does not work for Solo at all. Tatum; yeah, Step Up and Magic Mike, go to hell. Like I said, George Clooney and Jean Dujardin probably the newest covert operatives would be really good. They both have what it takes to be UNCLE Agents.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

JackJamesBond007 wrote: Thanks for correcting me, BN. However, you got my point about M:I/Tom Cruise movies, just like you said, he's gonna make the film all about him, hope he'll be ruled out of the UNCLE project because we all know and most likely he does not belong to this world. I'll tell you that Steven Sodesburgh would have made the film worked, really, George Clooney also could have been a good choice for the universe, not as Solo nor as Kuryakin, though. Brand new character like I said, set in 1960s again. They both did pretty job well done in the Ocean trilogy, I loved those threesome heist movies. But, choosing someone like Channing Tatum or Tom Cruise for the role of Napoleon Solo? Come on!! Cruise; Action, CGI, Self-Centered-themed, stressful. Does not work for Solo at all. Tatum; yeah, Step Up and Magic Mike, go to hell. Like I said, George Clooney and Jean Dujardin probably the newest covert operatives would be really good. They both have what it takes to be UNCLE Agents.
Agree with most of this, but why does it need to be set in the '60s? If you're going to have new agents, I would rather have it set in the present day, with cameos from Robert Vaughn and David McCallum as retired versions of their original characters, giving advice to the newbies.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Kristatos wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote: Thanks for correcting me, BN. However, you got my point about M:I/Tom Cruise movies, just like you said, he's gonna make the film all about him, hope he'll be ruled out of the UNCLE project because we all know and most likely he does not belong to this world. I'll tell you that Steven Sodesburgh would have made the film worked, really, George Clooney also could have been a good choice for the universe, not as Solo nor as Kuryakin, though. Brand new character like I said, set in 1960s again. They both did pretty job well done in the Ocean trilogy, I loved those threesome heist movies. But, choosing someone like Channing Tatum or Tom Cruise for the role of Napoleon Solo? Come on!! Cruise; Action, CGI, Self-Centered-themed, stressful. Does not work for Solo at all. Tatum; yeah, Step Up and Magic Mike, go to hell. Like I said, George Clooney and Jean Dujardin probably the newest covert operatives would be really good. They both have what it takes to be UNCLE Agents.
Agree with most of this, but why does it need to be set in the '60s? If you're going to have new agents, I would rather have it set in the present day, with cameos from Robert Vaughn and David McCallum as retired versions of their original characters, giving advice to the newbies.
That could really work, as well. I just mentioned the 1960s because in the previous film adaptation attempts Steven Sodesburgh wanted to have set the film in that decade, and they gave him 60 Million USD budget at most, for which he thought was not a lot for the film sets he would make. Back to the timeline, I don't mind to see a UNCLE film having contemporary setting, but only if it would stay true and faithful to its original formula. Otherwise, I'll pass on it, just like today's general media are, and I don't want UNCLE to be part of the general media. See what they did to The Saint? God, I haven't seen the episode yet, but the trailer/preview has really put me off. Simon Templar a thief? Since when? I knew Moore's and Ogilvy's versions were WWII heroes and former MI6 agents. Sorry for getting out of the topic, again, if they would renew a classic, which is nearly impossible, at least they should do a faithful one to its source material. I also agree about Solo and Kuryakin reprising their roles, probably Solo as the head of UNCLE and Kuryakin as the head of security or perhaps the head of a specific station, Moscow perhaps? Just saying.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Actually, that would be faithful to the source material, or at least some of it. I'm not an expert on The Saint, but it's my understanding that Simon Templar started out as a Raffles-style gentleman thief, but this aspect of his character gradually became forgotten as the series progressed.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Kristatos wrote:Actually, that would be faithful to the source material, or at least some of it. I'm not an expert on The Saint, but it's my understanding that Simon Templar started out as a Raffles-style gentleman thief, but this aspect of his character gradually became forgotten as the series progressed.
If you're talking about the books, I'm not familiar with them, but what I mean is, this new Simon Templar is a girl-like cat burglar, with girly athletic skills, ohh and turning his adventures into personal matters instead of acting like a true Robin-Hood-type adventurer like he was in the very beginning of the original series, it's intolerable. His character is being too americanized, or more of a... hollywoodized!! Doing some fast unsuccessful dance moves on the screen making noobs think he can actually fight, Jason Bourne stunts, that kind of KATN in real life can get him killed, just like the way it's portrayed with Cr-egg's films. Modern General Media. Yes, Templar was a Robin Hood-esque character, but that doesn't mean he was a thief, a cat burglar.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

The Pilot

Filmed in color from late November to early December 1963 with locations at a Lever Brothers soap factory in California, the show was originally titled Ian Fleming's Solo and later just Solo. However, in February 1964 a law firm representing James Bond movie producers Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli sent a cease-and-desist letter demanding an immediate end to the use of Fleming’s name in connection with the planned Solo series, and an end to all use of the name and character "Solo", "Napoleon Solo" and "Mr. Solo". At that time filming was underway for the Bond movie Goldfinger, where Martin Benson was playing a supporting character named "Mr. Solo". The claim was the name "Solo" had already been sold to them by Fleming, and Fleming could not again use it. Within five days Fleming had signed an affidavit that nothing in the Solo pilot infringed on any of his Bond characters, but the threat of continued legal action resulted in a settlement where the character name of Napoleon Solo could be kept, but the title of the show had to change.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

bjmdds wrote: The Pilot

Filmed in color from late November to early December 1963 with locations at a Lever Brothers soap factory in California, the show was originally titled Ian Fleming's Solo and later just Solo. However, in February 1964 a law firm representing James Bond movie producers Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli sent a cease-and-desist letter demanding an immediate end to the use of Fleming’s name in connection with the planned Solo series, and an end to all use of the name and character "Solo", "Napoleon Solo" and "Mr. Solo". At that time filming was underway for the Bond movie Goldfinger, where Martin Benson was playing a supporting character named "Mr. Solo". The claim was the name "Solo" had already been sold to them by Fleming, and Fleming could not again use it. Within five days Fleming had signed an affidavit that nothing in the Solo pilot infringed on any of his Bond characters, but the threat of continued legal action resulted in a settlement where the character name of Napoleon Solo could be kept, but the title of the show had to change.
Exactly, Napoleon Solo was being created as a small-screen version of James Bond, by Fleming himself, who also helped some people to create the main protagonist of Avengers, yes, Fleming created John Steed, as well. But, due to conflicts with the EON Producers and the TV show producers, he sold the rights to the latter for only One Buck. And what BJMDDS said was very true. By the way, why is the new Bond novel entitled Solo? It looks like William Boyd knows nothing about the history let alone Bond.
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

A fanmade poster, don't think Clooney looks fine in there, but, I made it anyway.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

JackJamesBond007 wrote:

Exactly, Napoleon Solo was being created as a small-screen version of James Bond, by Fleming himself, who also helped some people to create the main protagonist of Avengers, yes, Fleming created John Steed, as well. But, due to conflicts with the EON Producers and the TV show producers, he sold the rights to the latter for only One Buck. And what BJMDDS said was very true. By the way, why is the new Bond novel entitled Solo? It looks like William Boyd knows nothing about the history let alone Bond.
Great points! :cheers:
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

JackJamesBond007 wrote:

William Boyd's new 007 novel to be titled, ironically, Solo:

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/04 ... ally-solo/

Open Channel D: William Boyd's Fleming research gap

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/04 ... earch-gap/

What if Fleming hadn't exited U.N.C.L.E.?
(answer: it would have been like Eric Ambler's Checkmate)

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/04 ... u-n-c-l-e/
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Napoleon Solo wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote:

William Boyd's new 007 novel to be titled, ironically, Solo:

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/04 ... ally-solo/

Open Channel D: William Boyd's Fleming research gap

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/04 ... earch-gap/

What if Fleming hadn't exited U.N.C.L.E.?
(answer: it would have been like Eric Ambler's Checkmate)

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/04 ... u-n-c-l-e/
I've read those articles, many many great points in there. Well, it seems the media has become nothing more than a joke itself now.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

GOOD GOD!!!! I knew it would be yet another crappy Hollywood movie. Armie Hammer as Ilya and Cruise as Solo? Yeah, right, that's the best you can do, Hollywood?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

JackJamesBond007 wrote:GOOD GOD!!!!
Don't mean to derail this thread, but did anyone else imagine that said in James Brown's voice?
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

Kristatos wrote:
JackJamesBond007 wrote:GOOD GOD!!!!
Don't mean to derail this thread, but did anyone else imagine that said in James Brown's voice?
I just did. :lol: