Who was James Bond when you were born?

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Re: Who was James Bond when you were born?

Post by Veronica »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:Moore, 1985. Though by the time that I was born (Dec), Moore would have already announced his departure.

About DAD, the first part, that is minus the title track and up to cuba is underrated. But once Jinx* shows up the cracks begin to show, before the film crumbles and more or less, never recovers (post Cuba, the only good bit is how Bond disposes of Zao). Though it made a lot of money, so did Skyfall, so that is no indication of quality.

* I feel the need to point out that I think Halle Berry can be a fantastic actress (Things We Lost In The Fire, Monster's Ball, The Rich Man's Wife and Face Of An Angel are four examples), she is one of my favourites, but she has also had her off days (DAD, Catwoman, Dark Tide and Movie 43).
Oh,yeah JINX.She was one of the jinxes of that movie.I mean that dialogue when her and Bond first meet(actually the whole dialogue they have) is just like it came out of some trashy C grade movie starring Denise Richards(that would explain why her lines in TWINE sounded so trashy).
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

As bad as the dialogue was in DAD, it hasn't improved. What was all that armour nonsense in CR?
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.
Favorite Movies: T2 & THE DARK KNIGHT.

Post by ml94 »

Veronica wrote:
ml94 wrote:DAD is UNDERRATED movie (BETTER than cr, qos, skyfall). :007:
Well,I don't think about those last three movies to be Bond movies but...I would say that the first half of DAD is underrated.When I watched for the first(and I have to say,only time,but I'm going to watch it soon again to remind myself) my mum at one point commented(the point where Bond came to Cuba) how this is one of the better Bond movies she watched and I agreed with her.The second half just went too far.I mean,what is it with that video game where Bond saves M?Or that imagined scene with Bond and Moneypenny?The invisible car?And Madonna cameo and song.The whole plot is just indredibly...I don't know what the plot really was and why that guy wanted to destroy the West.On the positive side Brosnan gives incredibly relaxed and cool performance.There are a good one-liners.The fencing scene was cool.And there are still moments that somehow explore Bond's character.For example the banter by the villian."We only met one time but you left permanent effect on me..." and also Miranda Frosts's("the palace of ice,you must be right at home" :lol: ) thought's on Bond in M'S office.But it seems like they completely forgot the first half of the movie.I mean,Bond is tortured in Korea for 14 months but later we see no effect.Such a shame,they could have make something out of it.But I agree that DAD doesn't deserve the bashing and hate it gets.There are still some great moments in the movie and the first part is not bad.Whether it was good or not,the movie mad a huge amount of money and that's precisely why Brosnan deserved to get at least one more movie.I mean,they even told him that he's going to do at least another one and then...urgh.. :evil: I mean,the second part is completely ridiculous but Brosnan always gave his all in the movies.But at least I can laugh at how ridiculous the movie is in the second half.At least it's fun.And what was with that megamen suit??Lord.Oh,and someone posted this and I wholehartedly agree:"I am going to ruin all my karmas by defending Die Another Day because of one scene that is the purest essence of Bond in the whole series. Bond escapes the medical boat and arrives at the posh yacht club, he is dirty, dripping wet, bearded like an extra from a redneck reality show, and everyone else is staring at him like he is a bum, but he walks like he's James f**king Bond. Watch just that scene and you will see exactly who Bond is; without the gun, gadgets, or girls, he's still a guy that would walk like his dick is solid gold. It makes the movie. It makes the series actually. If you had only one scene to show someone to make them understand who Bond is, that is it. Even as the plot gets more and more ridiculous that one scene was needed in the series, showing the audience that no matter what, Bond walks into a room like he owns it, because he's James Bond."
P.S. DAD is not the only movie that has a completely ridiculous plot.I mean,DAF?Moonraker?Even TSWLM which is called a classic.And I have to say YOLT is pretty campy and silly to me.But DAD just took it too far.I mean,when Sir Rog says that something is ridiculous then it just is. :mrgreen:
Yeah, btw Pierce was 49 back in 02 & he looked 8-10 younger than he was...
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

I wouldn't got that far. In DAD, Brosnan was starting to look a little weathered. Considering Bond was supposed to have been locked away in a NK prison for 14 months, he was looking like they must have force fed him pies, buns and cakes.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:As bad as the dialogue was in DAD, it hasn't improved. What was all that armour nonsense in CR?

The only dialogue that sticked me as bad in DAD is the one between Jinx and Bond.Oh,don't get me started on that nonsense,crappy soap opera dialogue.How can anyone call that a good Bond movie let alone the best one is beyond me.I mean the whole thing about critics praising both CR and Skyfall as the best Bonds ever?Seriously?They didn't do that with any of the Moore outings,or Dalton's debute,GoldenEye I feel,came closest to that but still no one called(as far as I know) the best Bond ever.IMO,the only logical explanation is that they were paid huge money.IMO,nothing will ever beat FRWL.A classic spy thriller and it has that Bond feel. :007:
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:I wouldn't got that far. In DAD, Brosnan was starting to look a little weathered. Considering Bond was supposed to have been locked away in a NK prison for 14 months, he was looking like they must have force fed him pies, buns and cakes.
Maybe not 10 years younger but he always did look younger than he really is. :)
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O

Veronica wrote:
Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:I wouldn't got that far. In DAD, Brosnan was starting to look a little weathered. Considering Bond was supposed to have been locked away in a NK prison for 14 months, he was looking like they must have force fed him pies, buns and cakes.
I'd agree in his first 3 Bonds, and at his best in Tomorrow Never Dies, my favourite of Brosnans four, and one of my favourite films in the series.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:
Veronica wrote:
I'd agree in his first 3 Bonds, and at his best in Tomorrow Never Dies, my favourite of Brosnans four, and one of my favourite films in the series.
Brosnan looked great in all of them(as he always looks fantastic) but in GE he was so ridiculously good-looking that I had to watch the movie 2 times to even care about the plot.Although,yes,he looks better in his first three films than in his last but in DAD he still looks great.
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.
Favorite Movies: T2 & THE DARK KNIGHT.

Post by ml94 »

Veronica wrote:
Veronica wrote:
Brosnan looked great in all of them(as he always looks fantastic) but in GE he was so ridiculously good-looking that I had to watch the movie 2 times to even care about the plot.Although,yes,he looks better in his first three films than in his last but in DAD he still looks great.
He still looks younger than he is (62). :up:
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Yeah,still looks great :up: :up:
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

Moore was bond when i was born (1982) and as a teen or even just before it was Brosnan.
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
jorgem007
New Recruit

Post by jorgem007 »

It's been exactly 10 years when Daniel Craig was announced to fill in the role of James Bond! - Oct. 14, 2005. And It even coincides with Roger Moore's birthday! ajb007/confused
Those who were born in that day are now 10 years old. ajb007/smile
jorgem007
New Recruit

Post by jorgem007 »

It's been exactly 10 years when Daniel Craig was announced to fill in the role of James Bond! - Oct. 14, 2005. And It even coincides with Roger Moore's birthday!

Those who were born in that day are now 10 years old.
TROLLY
Lieutenant

Post by TROLLY »

A Crag-like face wrote:
CaptainLewis wrote:I was born in 1991, I guess that makes me a Bondless baby.
Nah, Timothy Dalton was still the official Bond at that point (I think the plans were still to have him in GE until he quit about 1994) so you belong to the Dalton era!
There was a 3rd Bond movie for Timothy Dalton, scheduled for release in the summer/fall of 1991. This would have fulfilled his three-film contract. However, it wasn't what eventually became GoldenEye, years later. Albert R. Broccoli's stepson Michael G. Wilson contributed a script, and Wiseguy (American TV series)co-producer Alfonse Ruggiero Jr. was hired to rewrite.

The film was deferred indefinitely, because of legal entanglements between Danjaq and MGM, that started in 1990, which reached a conclusion in 1992. At some point, between then and 1993, Dalton's contract with Danjaq expired. His intention's were to remain in the role, until April 1994, when he changed his mind and publicly announced that he was quitting.

Whilst, the producer's had to search for a suitable leading actor to play Bond, they also had to find a director. The screenplay was also getting drafted, with an entirely different story to what was originally intended for the film in 1991. Michael France delivered the original screenplay, Jeffrey Caine was brought in to rewrite it. Caine kept many of France's ideas but added the prologue prior to the credits. Kevin Wade polished the script and Bruce Feirstein added the finishing touches.

Several plot details on the original drafts have been revealed about Bond 17's plot before the subsequent re-writes that would culminate with GoldenEye. Here is one:

After terrorists target a Scottish nuclear facility, James Bond is deployed to the Far East to investigate the prolific businessman Sir Henry Lee Ching. In Hong Kong, Bond rendezvous with retiring spy Denholm Crisp who was a mentor to Bond early in his career. He crosses paths with the Chinese Secret Service and teams up with jewel-smuggler Connie Webb to get to the bottom of Ching's shady past and prevent global pandemonium that could spark World War Three.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

TROLLY wrote: There was a 3rd Bond movie for Timothy Dalton, scheduled for release in the summer/fall of 1991. This would have fulfilled his three-film contract. However, it wasn't what eventually became GoldenEye, years later.
Well, according to some sources, The Property of a Lady evolved into Goldeneye through a series of incremental steps, like one of those puzzles where you have to turn one word into another, one letter at a time.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
TROLLY
Lieutenant

Who was James Bond when you were born?

Post by TROLLY »

It's a d**n shame, it didn't happen. I'm convinced it would have been more enjoyable than GoldenEye.

Dr. No to Licence to Kill was the era I liked. I'm not so fond of the ones they've made since (1995-present).

But, maybe, Spectre might be the nearest thing to the classic Bond films, since Dalton.

M being played by a man, in the retro-like designed office, featuring the leather padded doors. We've not seen that since 1989!

Fingers crossed that the gun-barrel sequence opens the movie this time!
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Veronica wrote:
Veronica wrote:
Pierce looks he was a young spy starting out in GE.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Veronica wrote:
Veronica wrote:
Pierce looks he was a young spy starting out in GE.
He definitely looked younger than 42 or how much he had then anyway.
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

He looked like Remington Steele in the first film, and in subsequent films he looked a bit more mature and had shorter hair also.
commander0077again
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS YOLT GOLDFINGER LALD FYEO GOLDENEYE
Favorite Movies: OUR MAN FLINT THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/ERROL FLYNN CASABLANCA ZORRO FILMS / TV SHOW

Post by commander0077again »

TSWLM, which has the song Bond '77, which is why there is a Commanderagain0077 :happybd: Of course, it would be many years before I knew who Bond was, TLD was my first Film Bond; OHMSS was my first Bond book. My uncle is a Double-O and has many stories; and of course the complete collection, so by my 'teens I had seen all the films and read all the books, of course a double-0-edged sword, as you know. :cake:
You move very well for a dead man, Mister Bond

Kill him!
Kill Bond! Now!!!