The World Is Not Enough

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Re: The World Is Not Enough

Post by Veronica »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Veronica wrote:This one is definitely underrated.
I think Pierce's overall work after GE is underrated, especially those in his post-Bond profile.
I think that comes with the fact that he played James Bond.Every actor who plays James Bond will be known mostly for that.That's just the way it is.Connery wanted to get away from that.I read that when they were filming YOLT in Japan,the journalists didn't call him Sean but James Bond.When someone says "Pierce Brosnan" I bet that large majority of people(if not all of them) will immediately think "James Bond."Personally,I don't find that to be a bad thing-to be known as world's most famous and coolest spy. :mrgreen: But Pierce built a good career after Bond days.He made some really successful films like "The Thomas Crown Affair" or "After the Sunset".He was in "Mamma Mia" which was a huge hit.Before his Bond career there was Mrs.Doubtfire.He had a supporting role in "The Ghost Writer" which I watched only because he was in it.Let's not forget "The Matador" and "The Tailor of Panama".He had a supporting role in "Remember Me",and IMO he's the only good thing about that movie.But he will always be first and foremost James Bond.There's this aura he has.Incredible charisma,and this suave coolnes.He immediately draws you to something.So,the guy was voted sexiest man alive in 2001,has been on the list of 50 most beautiful people numerous times,and has made a pretty good career since Bond.About his Bond movies.TWINE is the one that is most underrated,IMO by far.I think people are somehow nautral to TND.The movie had a huge potential to be a truly great one but sadly,the whole production was in a mess.So the plot actually became secondary to action which is the problem.It still has some great moments.I'm not going to argue DAD is not silly and whatever because it is.But the first part of the movie is actually pretty good and everything somehow holds up until the Ice Palace.And I need to post this: "
I am going to ruin all my karmas by defending Die Another Day because of one scene that is the purest essence of Bond in the whole series. Bond escapes the medical boat and arrives at the posh yacht club, he is dirty, dripping wet, bearded like an extra from a redneck reality show, and everyone else is staring at him like he is a bum, but he walks like he's James f**king Bond. Watch just that scene and you will see exactly who Bond is; without the gun, gadgets, or girls, he's still a guy that would walk like his dick is solid gold. It makes the movie. It makes the series actually. If you had only one scene to show someone to make them understand who Bond is, that is it. Even as the plot gets more and more ridiculous that one scene was needed in the series, showing the audience that no matter what, Bond walks into a room like he owns it, because he's James Bond. " someone wrote this and it's absolutely true. :007:
ml94
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: GOLDFINGER, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, GOLDENEYE.
Favorite Movies: T2 & THE DARK KNIGHT.

Post by ml94 »

FANTASTIC BOND MOVIE.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Veronica wrote:Personally,I don't find that to be a bad thing-to be known as world's most famous and coolest spy. :mrgreen:
I never said that being known as James Bond is a bad thing. But because GE is the only classic Bond he has in the eyes of the majority, that is just wrong for someone who is the best and most popular since Sean.
But Pierce built a good career after Bond days.
That may be, but he's not getting the recognition he deserves.
He made some really successful films like "The Thomas Crown Affair" or "After the Sunset".
Even so, they don't get much notice though Thomas Crown does attract some of the mature audiences.
He was in "Mamma Mia" which was a huge hit.
It may be, but sadly Pierce's singing wasn't up to speed, not to mention him getting a Razzie.
He had a supporting role in "The Ghost Writer" which I watched only because he was in it.Let's not forget "The Matador" and "The Tailor of Panama".He had a supporting role in "Remember Me",and IMO he's the only good thing about that movie.But he will always be first and foremost James Bond.
Again, they don't get the recognition they deserve.
Last edited by FormerBondFan on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Yeah,I suppose you are right about "Mamma Mia".I don't really get why he got a Razzie.Well,basically,I think you are right about everything.And you are totally right about how it's wrong that he has only one classic Bond movie in the eyes of the majority and he definitely,besides Sean is the best and most popular.What he accomplished was something than no one besides Sean did.General public saw him and accepted him as Bond.Heck,the world craved for him in that role since the 80's.I think one of the reasons why he doesn't get enough recognition is because he does what he does with a passion and takes the roles in some movies that just aren't blockbuster material,since I don't think that most important thing to him is to be in a big budget movies.I think that he takes the role if he likes and wants it.The chances of a success aren't that important to him.That's the impression I got.And,yes,"Matador" and "The Tailor of Panama" should definitely get more recognition,especially since he is so bloody brilliant in both.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Also,these Craig fans always want to discredit Pierce so they bash his movies.Whatever the problem was with his movies it wasn't his fault.He always gave his all and was great.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

That's the impression I get too - he takes the roles that interest him, the box office be damned. It would be nice to see a movie that revived his career the way Pulp Fiction did for John Travolta and Bruce Willis, though.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote:That's the impression I get too - he takes the roles that interest him, the box office be damned. It would be nice to see a movie that revived his career the way Pulp Fiction did for John Travolta and Bruce Willis, though.
Well,"Remington Steele" made him famous and well,Bond for obvious reasons.But,yes,it would be great to see a movie that becomes a great hit with him in the lead role!Is he doing a thriller with Mila Jovovich?That could be good.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Veronica wrote:Well,"Remington Steele" made him famous and well,Bond for obvious reasons.
Pierce can't stay memorable as just Bond forever to the wider public, especially among the younger audience (those grew up in the 90s in particular). Look at Sir Patrick Stewart. Until X-Men, he was known as just Jean-Luc Picard in ST: TNG. Thanks to the 15 year old Marvel film series, it broaden his horizons as an actor to prove that he is not limited to being captain of the Enterprise. Additionally, his voice-work in American Dad boosted his profile ever further. Does Pierce need something like this in his career? No. But does he deserve it? Yes especially the fact that GE is his only classic Bond to the majority.
But,yes,it would be great to see a movie that becomes a great hit with him in the lead role!
NM could have that, but it got bombarded with bad reviews.
Is he doing a thriller with Mila Jovovich?That could be good.
I hope it's nothing like any of his work after GE where they either get no-so-great reviews or went under radar.

I just don't understand why it had to be so hard to give Pierce a highly rated movie (especially in the action realm) that appealed to the wider public since GE.
Last edited by FormerBondFan on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

I agree,NM was a great opportunity,I mean the title is incredibly cool!I don't think it deserves the bad reviews it got,it's a decent movie but it could have been a lot better.He deserves a great thriller/spy movie that would get great reviews and be a success.
here are Brosnan's top 10 movies according RT users' scores:
1. GoldenEye -- 83%
2. Evelyn -- 78%
3. The Thomas Crown Affair -- 77%
4. Mrs. Doubtfire -- 76%
5. The Ghost Writer -- 70%
6. Love Affair -- 69%
7. Remember Me -- 68%
8. Mister Johnson -- 68%
9. Mamma Mia! -- 66%
10. The Matador -- 66% according to this only 5 of his movies have 70% or higher rating and in "Mrs.Doubtfire" and "The Ghost Writer" he had small roles.Where are "After the Sunset" and "The Tailor of Panama"??And TND and TWINE definitely deserve higher ratings!Wow,definitely doesn't get the recognition he deserves.Also,I think that "Married life" was also pretty good.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The reviews for NM weren't terrible. Most of the ones I've read say that it was a solid enough spy thriller, but that it doesn't really stand out in a crowded field.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote:The reviews for NM weren't terrible. Most of the ones I've read say that it was a solid enough spy thriller, but that it doesn't really stand out in a crowded field.
I don't know I read somewhere else that there were bad reviews.I'll read a couple of them as well so I could get the picture.Yes,I agree that November Man doesn't really stand out.It doesn't really have that "WOW!" factor.Nothing about the film really threw me.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Veronica wrote:I agree,NM was a great opportunity,I mean the title is incredibly cool!I don't think it deserves the bad reviews it got,it's a decent movie but it could have been a lot better.He deserves a great thriller/spy movie that would get great reviews and be a success.
1. GoldenEye -- 83%
2. Evelyn -- 78%
4. Mrs. Doubtfire -- 76%
6. Love Affair -- 69%
7. Remember Me -- 68%
8. Mister Johnson -- 68%
9. Mamma Mia! -- 66%
10. The Matador -- 66% according to this only 5 of his movies have 70% or higher rating and in "Mrs.Doubtfire" and "The Ghost Writer" he had small roles.Where are "After the Sunset" and "The Tailor of Panama"??And TND and TWINE definitely deserve higher ratings!Wow,definitely doesn't get the recognition he deserves.Also,I think that "Married life" was also pretty good.
Is it just me or is GE by far the most overrated of everything he has ever done in his entire career?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote: Is it just me or is GE by far the most overrated of everything he has ever done in his entire career?
Not just you (I personally like TND the best of his Bond films), but to hear you say it is...surprising. And by surprising, I mean "a little like reading an article in the Vatican Observer entitled 'The Pope - who does he think he is?'"
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Veronica wrote:I agree,NM was a great opportunity,I mean the title is incredibly cool!I don't think it deserves the bad reviews it got,it's a decent movie but it could have been a lot better.He deserves a great thriller/spy movie that would get great reviews and be a success.
1. GoldenEye -- 83%
2. Evelyn -- 78%
4. Mrs. Doubtfire -- 76%
6. Love Affair -- 69%
7. Remember Me -- 68%
8. Mister Johnson -- 68%
9. Mamma Mia! -- 66%
Is it just me or is GE by far the most overrated of everything he has ever done in his entire career?
I don't think we can compare GE to any other non-Bond movies he ever done.Bond is a genre for itself.James Bond is a phenomenon and GE reinvented it.People were doubting that James Bond could survive in a post Cold War time for whatever reason and GE proofed them wrong.It was everything or nothing.None of the Bond movies since Moonraker were a huge success,not to mention LTK completely flopped on the boy office.So,I don't think GE is overrated in any sense.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote: Is it just me or is GE by far the most overrated of everything he has ever done in his entire career?
Not just you (I personally like TND the best of his Bond films), but to hear you say it is...surprising. And by surprising, I mean "a little like reading an article in the Vatican Observer entitled 'The Pope - who does he think he is?'"

Could you explain why you like TND best out of all his Bond movies?I am just curious.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Veronica wrote:
Kristatos wrote:

Could you explain why you like TND best out of all his Bond movies?I am just curious.
I'm not sure, really. It just seems the least pretentious and most fun of the modern (ie from Goldeneye onwards) Bond films. Plus, I like Jonathan Pryce.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote:
Veronica wrote:
Kristatos wrote:

I'm not sure, really. It just seems the least pretentious and most fun of the modern (ie from Goldeneye onwards) Bond films. Plus, I like Jonathan Pryce.
Well,I don't know.I think this might be the very first Bond film I ever watched.In my country,there was this Bond marathon every Friday night(now it's coming to an end) and they started with Craig films(who starts a Bond marathon with Craig :?: ) and when there was TND afterwards I somehow felt underwhelmed.It's like it didn't thrill me that time.I felt there was too much action.I don't know,I'll watch it again,maybe it gets better with each viewing.Of course,there are highlights of the movie.Dr.Kaufman scene,the remote control scene,Bond in a hotel room sipping vodka,Danish lesson :lol: But I agree it feels the least pretentious of all Brosnan films I have to say.I think that came with the fact that there were big problems with the whole production.Cubby just died,the script wasn't done when they started filming,the script was daily rewritten,Anthony Hopkins left the cast because of it.I think it deserves more credit because of the problems it faced.It could have been worse in this situation.I feel like the whole second part of the movie is pure action.Maybe I'm wrong.I definitely have to watch it again.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

And I sometimes think I actually prefer TWINE over GE despite the horribleness of Christmas Jones...If i forget the ending and Christmas Jones completely...
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Veronica wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:
1. GoldenEye -- 83%
2. Evelyn -- 78%
4. Mrs. Doubtfire -- 76%
6. Love Affair -- 69%
7. Remember Me -- 68%
8. Mister Johnson -- 68%
9. Mamma Mia! -- 66%
I don't think we can compare GE to any other non-Bond movies he ever done.Bond is a genre for itself.James Bond is a phenomenon and GE reinvented it.People were doubting that James Bond could survive in a post Cold War time for whatever reason and GE proofed them wrong.It was everything or nothing.None of the Bond movies since Moonraker were a huge success,not to mention LTK completely flopped on the boy office.So,I don't think GE is overrated in any sense.
We're talking Pierce's work overall here. We were supposed to get his 5th as proper send-off to his Bond career, but we didn't. But hey he still has his career, right? And there's so much he can do with the action realm. If not a 5th Bond to showcase his darker side like we wanted, we can only hope for not just a really great action film from him also a really great action film that would give him a new beginning. NM may have revealed Pierce's intention for his Bonds, but because of those bad reviews, we didn't get a new beginning from Pierce. My point is that GE is not only his only classic Bond but also his last great actioner (or even his best work overall) if we're talking about general public's viewpoint of Pierce's entire work onscreen.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Again, I don't think you can blame the reviews. Films with much worse reviews have done well at the box office {*cough*Fifty Shades of Grey*cough*). The problem was that hardly anybody knew it existed thanks to a crap marketing campaign. And who the hell thought it was a good idea to release in on only 12 screens in Pierce's home territory, the UK and Ireland? You and other DCINBers did our best to promote it, but we're just a small community on the internet. The film marked Pierce's return to the spy genre - a great marketing campaign would have persuaded great swathes of the cinemagoing public that there was nothing in the world that they wanted to see more than this.

I think our best hope now would be if Matthew Vaughn could be persuaded to give him a role in Kingsman 2. A substantial role, not just a cameo (though his cameo in The World's End seemed very well-received.)