Which Bond actor benefited most from Bond?

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Which Bond actor benefited most from Bond?

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Which actor do you think benefited most from playing James Bond?

I think it was Sir Sean who became a cinematic icon due to being the original and the best 007.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: Which Bond actor benefited most from Bond?

Post by carl stromberg »

Daniel Craig had a profile boost. He needs some big films in the future.

Brosnan made some interesting things after he became Bond. He may have made all those films without Bond but i think his popular Bond meant he had a big career boost.
Bring back Bond!
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

carl stromberg wrote:Daniel Craig had a profile boost. He needs some big films in the future.

Brosnan made some interesting things after he became Bond. He may have made all those films without Bond but i think his popular Bond meant he had a big career boost.
Brosnan can boost his career without Bond, and he can still do it today just like Sean did after Bond.
katied

Post by katied »

Connery. As Carl said, Craig's career has gotten a bit of a boost from Bond, but that's about it.Unless he can find a breakout non-Bond role, that is.
Mr. Big
Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Big »

Daniel Craig. He was virtually unknown before he was cast as James Bond.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Craig. He was a nobody before he was Jason Bond. Moore, Connery, Dalton, Brosnan all were known quantities and making names for themselves. Person who got the least form their Bond stint was Lazenby.
............ :007:
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Connery. Obviously.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

I see why you said Connery but I think it could be the other way around Bond got the most from him, his career was starting and he was getting noticed by the right people but it is hard to separate him from Bond so I truly don't know. Maybe he did get the most but then he also gave Bond franchise the most as well.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Dr. No wrote:I see why you said Connery but I think it could be the other way around Bond got the most from him, his career was starting and he was getting noticed by the right people but it is hard to separate him from Bond so I truly don't know. Maybe he did get the most but then he also gave Bond franchise the most as well.
I don't think he'd be the legend he is without Bond.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:
Dr. No wrote:I see why you said Connery but I think it could be the other way around Bond got the most from him, his career was starting and he was getting noticed by the right people but it is hard to separate him from Bond so I truly don't know. Maybe he did get the most but then he also gave Bond franchise the most as well.
I don't think he'd be the legend he is without Bond.
When Sean passes on the obituaries will have a picture of him as Bond, probably a still of him on the beach in Dr No.
Bring back Bond!
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Connery is so identified with the character I don't see how to separate them although for him getting the most for the role it think that could be debated until the end of time. Would we be talking about James Bond if Carry Grant had made Dr No under the same conditions? I think it might be a good movie but not sensational. If Roger Moore had done the role first would there have been a recast when he left? Not to put down any of the actors that played Bond but Connery made Bond, I don't think Bond made Connery. Bond Helped him to a point but also hurt him when he tried to find other roles. Bottom line is Connery is just so damned likable people would pay to see him in just about anything and IMHO that is part of what helped make Bond a Legend.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.
Favorite Movies: Jaws, Die hard series,Independance day,The matrix trilogy

Post by Thunderpussy »

Have to agree with Many here Craig's career has gotten a huge boost from Bond,but No other movie he has done has given him a stand alone hit.And I don't think the up comming "Cowboys v Aliens " is going to be it either.
katied

Post by katied »

Thunderpussy wrote:Have to agree with Many here Craig's career has gotten a huge boost from Bond,but No other movie he has done has given him a stand alone hit.And I don't think the up comming "Cowboys v Aliens " is going to be it either.
Maybe. It depends on the advertising. I liked the first trailer I saw..but any future ones... they have to be very careful.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

Connery obviously benefited greatly from it because he was the original. BUT given the movie taste of the time, I think he would have become a star regardless.

I think the one who benefited from it the most was Daniel Craig, no doubt. While Connery would STILL have become a star because he absolutely covered the taste and requirements for a leading man back then, the same can NOT be said about Craig. Craig would still be an absolute nobody if it wasn't for James Bond. He wasn't about to have a big break or to become a big star. And I also think he will very quickly be forgotten after Bond, seen as none of his other movies are doing anything sensational (and he isn't doing many of them either). In short, Craig is popular JUST AND ONLY for Bond. Nobody outside the UK knew who he was and still wouldn't if it wasn't for Bond. And no way would he ever have had a chance otherwise. He doesn't have the requirements of the average leading man at all, in fact he wasn't getting any leading man offers in serious big productions at all. So while I can see the Connery argument, I think that's not comparable to Craig. Connery WAS leading man material and would have become one regardless. He was making his way to it. Craig wasn't and still isn't. But with Bond he gained a notoriety he NEVER would have had otherwise.

Both Brosnan and Dalton as well as Roger Moore were already well known for other reasons. Moore was a big star already, Bond was just a value added. Brosnan was very well known on TV already AND he would have had a movie career regardless, since he's big time leading man material for romantic comedies as well (in fact he did quite a few of those too and successfully). Dalton was very well known in theater and Bond was a different thing for him, I don't see how it impacted his career much at all other than those few years of bigger popularity. And poor Lazenby well, I think he probably thought he should never have done it!
"Are we on coms?"
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.
Favorite Movies: Jaws, Die hard series,Independance day,The matrix trilogy

Post by Thunderpussy »

Mabey my dislike of craig is Clouding my Judgement But "cowboys v Aliens" Just isin't rocking my Boat, and I love si-fi.Having H Ford as the Villain I think he has played heros for too long to be accepted as a Villain. I for one will always think of him as Indy
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Thunderpussy wrote:Mabey my dislike of craig is Clouding my Judgement But "cowboys v Aliens" Just isin't rocking my Boat, and I love si-fi.Having H Ford as the Villain I think he has played heros for too long to be accepted as a Villain. I for one will always think of him as Indy
I'll be seeing the 2nd half of Harry Potter 7 instead not because I dislike DC as Bond but because Potter is coming to an end and deserves the SUPER gold of 2011.