300 Showed Butler Was Best Brosnan Successor

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
PeterFranks
New Recruit

300 Showed Butler Was Best Brosnan Successor

Post by PeterFranks »

Don't know how many of you caught 300 yet but I recommend you do see it, particularly in the IMAX.

I came away from the film without a shred of doubt that Gerard Butler would have been the perfect man to succeed Brosnan, assuming there was no way for Pierce to do one or two more films. Butler's looks, his physicality, ferocity and manner of speaking would have put Daniel Putin to shame, especially if they had filmed CR with a lighter hand with more humor, a more charismatic villain and a prettier Bond girl.

Don't get me wrong about Putin. He gave a competent perfomance in a decent film; it just wasn't a Bond film experience because he was too far from the type that should play Bond.
"Oh, is that who it was?"
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Re: 300 Showed Butler Was Best Brosnan Successor

Post by Captain Nash »

PeterFranks wrote:Don't know how many of you caught 300 yet but I recommend you do see it, particularly in the IMAX.

I came away from the film without a shred of doubt that Gerard Butler would have been the perfect man to succeed Brosnan, assuming there was no way for Pierce to do one or two more films. Butler's looks, his physicality, ferocity and manner of speaking would have put Daniel Putin to shame, especially if they had filmed CR with a lighter hand with more humor, a more charismatic villain and a prettier Bond girl.

Don't get me wrong about Putin. He gave a competent perfomance in a decent film; it just wasn't a Bond film experience because he was too far from the type that should play Bond.
Image Well opinons differ, but I don't agree with you. Gerard Butler isn't a potential Bond as far as I'm concerned. Voice is all wrong.
He's more of a thug than Craig.
As for a lighter Bond, dear god no, it got so stupid that it wasn't a Bond film 4 years ago. Thank the maker the producers saw sense.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Was going to see this one but the hunchback orgy made me think twice. (no doubt some of you will be rushing out to see it now :wink: )
we'll rent the dvd in 4 months.

Butler would still be a good choice.
Vesper couldnt hold a candle to Bond girls of the past. Green is pretty but lacked the hot factor of the other girls in CR (and 1962). :?
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

Care to embelish on your comments there Doc?
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Captain Nash wrote:Care to embelish on your comments there Doc?
Green didn't have the flare of past Bond Girls.
She is going to be compared to them if only because it's a "bond" movie.

Ursula Andress is the ultimate Bond Girl of all time. Image
IMO The two other CR girls were hotter.
Opps, wrong slide

In fairness I do know someone who loves Green that says she is "smokin hot" in other movies, but not CR.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Eva Green was cute, she wasn't hot but she is attractive and that is all that matters. Christ people, it's not like Eva Green is some fugly looking she-man. :roll:

As for using Gerard Butler's performance in 300 to prove he would have been a good Bond, find a better performance because his 300 role is NOTHING like Bond whatsoever. I don't remember Bond yelling in every sentence so much. I loved the movie and Gerard Butler was great, but that's a terrible example for a Bond candidate.

Name calling isn't appropriate either. :?
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:Eva Green was cute, she wasn't hot but she is attractive and that is all that matters. Christ people, it's not like Eva Green is some fugly looking she-man. :roll:
I'll go along with that. :)
Compared to some past Bond Girls she is a catch. Of course May Day (Grace Jones) was never quite my cup of tea.
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

Dr. No wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:Eva Green was cute, she wasn't hot but she is attractive and that is all that matters. Christ people, it's not like Eva Green is some fugly looking she-man. :roll:
Compared to some past Bond Girls she is a catch. Of course May Day (Grace Jones) was never quite my cup of tea.
I always thought May Day was an interesting character and Grace Jones was great, but as a Bond girl I thought she was bad. That's why I tend to think of her as rather a henchwoman baddie instead of a bad bond girl.

Roger Moore was pretty brave though... :shock:
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

stockslivevan wrote:
Dr. No wrote:
I always thought May Day was an interesting character and Grace Jones was great, but as a Bond girl I thought she was bad. That's why I tend to think of her as rather a henchwoman baddie instead of a bad bond girl.

Roger Moore was pretty brave though... :shock:
:lol:
Are you saying Sir Rog took one for the team?

:lol:
PeterFranks
New Recruit

Post by PeterFranks »

Sorry, but Eva Green looks like what she is: an underfed runway model with an overbite and the dark undereyes to show for it.

She was however a perfect match for Daniel Putin. Paired together, they looked like a couple of Eastern European factory workers who were given nice haircuts, makeup and expensive clothes.

Connery may have been a rough Scottish character underneath, but when he put the tux on he was all Bond. Daniel Putin will never look much more than the headwaiter at the Russian Tea Room, with a nice tan.

In CR, I could have easily seen Butler paired up with someone like interesting and hot-looking like Paz Vega.

"Oh, is that who it was?"
paco chaos
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by paco chaos »

I'm in agreement with Peter Franks. I thought Butler came off as a great leading man in 300. he reminded me of Connery in some ways.
and I think Eva Green has an overbite and way too much makeup. It's a toss up between her and Denise Richards for the worst Bond girl inmho.
Harvey Wallbanger
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Harvey Wallbanger »

during clean up this week caught Kurt Russell on some late night waste of time. He said Gerard Butler is going to be Snake Plissken in another Escape From New York.
-Bond was mention only in passing, -"I know how Sean Connery feels now" with another actor taking of an iconic role he created.
"I do think that character was quintessentially one thing. And that is, American, it's like James Bond being American."
-He did say maybe this would be the role that takes GB international. -and he did wish him well for what it's worth.

The 300 -great flick!!
Make them serious nudes!

I fear no evil because I walk with evil.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Captain Nash wrote:a prettier Bond girl.

I think Eva looks better in that photo than she did in CR - I agree that the film's make-up artist didn't do her any favours. I think she was wrong for Vesper, though. It's been a while since I read the book (or, more accurately, had it read to my by Alex Jennings on BBC Radio 4's A Book At Bedtime), so I can't remember how Fleming described her, but I seem to remember the picture in my head being more of an English rose type. Someone in the Rosamund Pike mould, but closer to Craig's age (wasn't Rosamund only in her early 20's when she made DAD?).
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:
Captain Nash wrote:a prettier Bond girl.

(wasn't Rosamund only in her early 20's when she made DAD?).
Rosamund was 23 in 2002.
Born 27 January 1979, London, England, UK

Eva Gaelle Green was 26, born 5 July 1980, Paris, France
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer