If Pierce is well fit in as Bond........................

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

If Pierce is well fit in as Bond........................

Post by FormerBondFan »

If Pierce is well fit in as Bond then why the hell EON didn't gave him a tough and gritty Bond like he wanted in the first place? Why gave him weak scripts?
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Any answers, anyone?
Dcbn
Lieutenant

Post by Dcbn »

I don't think tough and gritty is the style of Pierce. He's tried it and didn't work.

If he tried to be tough and gritty it would just be horrible. It's like asking Moore to act like Sean Connery.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Pierce's 007 had some very dark moments. He was his best when serious. He didn't ham it up the writers and producers did.
After all he for the franchise he should have been allowed him make the character his own. A darker Bond movie as his swan song would have paved the road for future changes.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

He did said that he wanted to do a gritty Bond.
Harvey Wallbanger
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Harvey Wallbanger »

Dcbn wrote:I don't think tough and gritty is the style of Pierce. He's tried it and didn't work.

If he tried to be tough and gritty it would just be horrible. It's like asking Moore to act like Sean Connery.
Moore had a few cold blooded scenes. Like kicking the car over the cliff.
Don’t think Brosnan is capable of real dark, tough and gritty. He did do some good cold blooded kills.
He might just pull it of --if it was written for him.
Harvey Wallbanger
Lieutenant-Commander

Harvey Wallbanger wrote:
Dcbn wrote:I don't think tough and gritty is the style of Pierce. He's tried it and didn't work.

Moore had a few cold blooded scenes. Like kicking the car over the cliff.
Don’t think Brosnan is capable of real dark, tough and gritty. He did do some good cold blooded kills.
He might just pull it of --if it was written for him.
On second thought
forgot about The Matador. he did ok in that film . He was very believable as a killer when he was demo-ing the kill for the talk soup guy.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Tailor of Panama is a perfect example of Pierce being tough and gritty.
Harvey Wallbanger
Lieutenant-Commander

I'll check the tailor out then. Thanks! :)
Jack Wade
Lieutenant

Post by Jack Wade »

I'd say because he was getting too old. There were some points in DAD where he looked terrible, like the close-ups in the PTS.

Honestly, I really don't think Pierce is capable of doing a darker, gritty Bond as well as Craig. Sure PB had his moments where Bond was actually humanized but it was never the whole movie.

Shame he never got his chance, but I can sleep well at night knowing that Craig did a near flawless job replacing Pierce and playing the first faithful screen adaptation of Fleming's Bond in quite some time.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Haven't you seen The Tailor of Panama or The Matador?
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

The Taylor of Panama and The Matador were surprisingly different roles for PB. He did them for himself to prove he was capable of more and boy did he do it in spades.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

If Pierce can play tough, gritty and darker roles then he can definitely do a darker Bond. You may disagree all you want about this, but this is just my opinion.
Jack Wade
Lieutenant

Post by Jack Wade »

I'm not entirely sold on Pierce doing a darker Bond. He had his moments (beginning of DAD) but was never able to expand upon it.

Even if he was able to do a darker Bond, I'm perfectly happy with what Craig has done with it.
Blowfeld

Post by Blowfeld »

Jack Wade wrote: I'm not entirely sold on Pierce doing a darker Bond. He had his moments (beginning of DAD) but was never able to expand upon it.
PB should have been allowed to expand on it. The poor guy was willing to pouring everything he was in the role and his requests were denied. DAD was a anniversary special on steroids.still an enjoyable outing.
PB did as he was asked and we got the movie that the producers intended not the ones he wanted to make. That be the way of all actors.

Considering all he did a fifth move should have been a departing courtesy.
With the Broccolis unsure of the next movies direction after DAD why not let PB run with it and end friends. We all would have seen the Bond he wanted to portray. I think given the strength of his performances elsewhere we all would have been in for a treat.
Jack Wade
Lieutenant

Post by Jack Wade »

I do think it was unfair to let go of Pierce like that and not give him a chance to really get inside the character of Bond like he wanted.

However, his age was a problem and it was showing in DAD. I do think it was time for him to go but it should've been on better terms.

Still though, I still think DC's Bond is better equipped to get into the darker aspects of the character. I think Craig is a better actor and his abilities allow for him to go into this side of Bond that Fleming wrote about moreso than PB.
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Re: If Pierce is well fit in as Bond........................

Post by Captain Nash »

FormerBondFan wrote:If Pierce is well fit in as Bond then why the hell EON didn't gave him a tough and gritty Bond like he wanted in the first place? Why gave him weak scripts?
Because he has a limited acting range. His age was catching up with him in TheWorldIsNotEnough and even more so in DieAnotherDay.
His knee injury on the latter must've caused Eon concerns, and may have promted there idea to replace him. Why have a mid fifties actor with injuries?
Brosnan just isn't that good an actor, he kept the Bond series alive through the mid-nineties and early noughties without making any real ground. Thanks for your time Pierce, but it was time to go, and he knew it deep down.
TheManWithNoName
Lieutenant

Post by TheManWithNoName »

Something for you guys to think about: If Pierce was allegedly a good actor, then why not just stick him in any of the 5 Ian Fleming short stories to give him Fleming material to work with? Or if he had a problem with the scripts, then why didn't he just walk like Sean Connery? The thing with Pierce was, he was an okay actor at the most. If Timothy Dalton had stayed on for Goldeneye like he was supposed too, then I doubt Pierce would've been hired in the first place.