The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by dirtybenny »

All that you say is true Big O, and I certainly don't discount Babz' infatuation with Craig as some sort of indispensable demigod. While Cubby held on to Moore too long, Moore was more than willing and gracious about the whole thing. Craig on the other hand has voiced his displeasure from the beginning and the more he bitches the more he's compensated! She seems to have forgotten how the 40 years and 5 actors preceding Craig have proven no one man is bigger than the role! Also don't forget in 1990 it was the studio's health that was affecting Bond more than anything. I also agree Bond has lost his uniqueness becoming nothing more than a primer on the pop culture zeitgeist, aping whatever films are popular at the time tempered with winks, nods, and homages to previous Bond entries.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

In a way, I don't blame them. I think if I was a movie producer, I would probably put off recasting as long as possible too. But then, I wouldn't have cast Craig in the first place. If I was in charge in 2006, the question on everybody's lips now would be "is James Purefoy too old to play Bond again?"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:In a way, I don't blame them. I think if I was a movie producer, I would probably put off recasting as long as possible too. But then, I wouldn't have cast Craig in the first place. If I was in charge in 2006, the question on everybody's lips now would be "is James Purefoy too old to play Bond again?"

the answer is yes he is. However if you were producing the movies there would be a movie with Brosnan in 2004, and purefoy would be wrapping up his seventh bond movie right now. The movies also wouldn’t suck.

I think people forget how none existent the bond production team has become. It shouldn’t take two decades to make 6 movies. If it weren’t for the last two decades being full of book to movie series (LotR, hobbit, Harry Potter, hunger games, twilight, divergent, maze runner, fifty shades, marvel and dc comics) I think people might accept the premise that it’s too hard to produce a movie once every four years. Cubby made bond a success realizing not being out in the market place is worse than offering a half baked product. He didn’t want the audience to forget why they paid to see his movies by being away too long.
The one big thing bond fans need to wrap their minds around is mgm is not a healthy studio hasn’t been since the DAD DVD made them rich enough to make a bunch of duds. Craig’s movies are not in the same league as Brosnan’s were for helping the studio if only because the money is split too many ways even if it’s successful at breaking even.
Mgm needed a profitable bond movie last year, and without a doubt needs a profitable bond movie next year to help keep their door open. If things drag on and on with Babs just waiting for inspiration to make a movie it become more likely mgm will be unable to afford to make the movie or afford a bad return on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Screenrant.com: The August 30, 2018 issue of Production Weekly lists Bond 25 as being developed under the working title Shatterhand, so Eon presumably wants Vallée (or another director, if those talks fall through) to bring Purvis and Wade's story to the big screen, rather than coming up with a story of his own. According to the rumor from last year, the Shatterhand script draws not only on Never Dream of Dying (In that novel, Bond is tangling with a criminal group called the Union and trying to track down their leader, a blind supervillain called Le Gérant), but also on the earlier films You Only Live Twice and On Her Majesty's Secret Service, which featured Blofeld as the villain. In Ian Fleming's novel You Only Live Twice, Blofeld uses the alias Dr. Guntram Shatterhand, which would explain the movie's working title. It certainly makes sense that a movie based on Never Dream of Dying wouldn't exactly follow the novel, since the novel is the third in a trilogy and begins with Bond already having faced off against the Union twice. It's possible that, for simplicity's sake and to continue the plot threads set up in the previous movie, the Union has been substituted with SPECTRE in Shatterhand, and that the villain will be Blofeld rather than Le Gérant. The real clues about Shatterhand's story likely won't begin to emerge until the film begins casting. If Bond 25 really is based on Never Dream of Dying, our next Bond girl will be Tylyn Mignonne, a French actress who is married to a film director with connections to the Union, so look out for news of the movie casting an up-and-coming French star. It also wouldn't be surprising if we learned that Waltz will be returning after all, along with Bautista (whose schedule has recently been cleared due to Guardians of the Galaxy 3 being delayed indefinitely). :roll: :roll: :jack:
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Vallee already turned down the offer.

I think the one I suspect they'll go for is the latest known unknown director Yann Demange. A newcomer working man drama director.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

From what I can see on the internet, Demange has only three films to his name. Can't actually see EON hiring that kind of newbie.
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Veronica wrote:From what I can see on the internet, Demange has only three films to his name. Can't actually see EON hiring that kind of newbie.
Two films, one of which is yet to be released for the public, but it's getting bad reviews.

At this point, with Babs shoehorning her idea of hiring a "drama" director, they've build a lot of sets based on Boyle and Hodge's groundwork, so they'll hire a Yes Man director to complete the job. Demange, at this point, is perfect for them, especially when he's an unknown and would make a name for himself out of it. His name was coming up in the shortlist for two years, now. They're into pre-production now so they can't back away from the sets they've built and I doubt they'll be delaying the film's release date. Universal will lose millions, otherwise.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Metro.co.uk: 007 may be given another lifeline with claims that Bond 25 producers are keen to leave an open-ending so that Daniel Craig has the opportunity to reprise the character – and that may also mean that director Danny Boyle, who reportedly quit the movie over plans to kill Bond, may be enticed to return :!: :shock: Bond producer Barbara Broccoli is said to be taking inspiration from Ian Fleming’s novel, From Russia With Love, which ambiguously ended with the iconic British spy being poisoned by a Russian agent and fighting for his life. Teasing the cliffhanger ending for Bond 25, a source told The Mirror: ‘Daniel now has a huge role on the film along with Barbara, and she doesn’t want to kill his character off completely. She thinks Daniel could be encouraged to come back for another film. :hair: And since Danny quit as director, Barbara has taken on a new motto: When in doubt, go back to the original Fleming material. So that is what they are doing now after the chaos.’---------------------what kind of hodgepodge way is this to run a franchise? These dolts are clueless idiots who happened to inherit a masterpiece and are turning it into amateurish art :!: Broccoli is such an arrogant and pathetic producer of these films. MGW has definitely retired from the scene.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Um the never dream of dying story is complete bs eon will never pay for the book rights of the extended bin novel series.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:Metro.co.uk: 007 may be given another lifeline with claims that Bond 25 producers are keen to leave an open-ending so that Daniel Craig has the opportunity to reprise the character – and that may also mean that director Danny Boyle, who reportedly quit the movie over plans to kill Bond, may be enticed to return :!: :shock: Bond producer Barbara Broccoli is said to be taking inspiration from Ian Fleming’s novel, From Russia With Love, which ambiguously ended with the iconic British spy being poisoned by a Russian agent and fighting for his life. Teasing the cliffhanger ending for Bond 25, a source told The Mirror: ‘Daniel now has a huge role on the film along with Barbara, and she doesn’t want to kill his character off completely. She thinks Daniel could be encouraged to come back for another film. :hair: And since Danny quit as director, Barbara has taken on a new motto: When in doubt, go back to the original Fleming material. So that is what they are doing now after the chaos.’---------------------what kind of hodgepodge way is this to run a franchise? These dolts are clueless idiots who happened to inherit a masterpiece and are turning it into amateurish art :!: Broccoli is such an arrogant and pathetic producer of these films. MGW has definitely retired from the scene.
I don’t believe any of this (except for Babs being nuts about Craig) because you don’t fire a director and throw pre-production in to free fall just over a minor matter that can be agreed on a week later. I also don’t believe there’s been a lot of work by the crew building sets or anything more than vacations looking for filming locations.

I think Babs might have cold feet about killing bond because it might kill her franchise in the long run. But she’s kind of already done that.

dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

I'm going to call shenanigans on the Screenrant Shatterhand rumor. That title has been kicked around the rumor mill for years now and it's inclusion here while fitting if EON goes the obvious route with a OHMSS ripoff raises a red flag. All that nonsense about adapting a continuation novel as already pointed out is a farce and a second red flag.

As for the Metro rumor I call B.S. there too the telling point is the bit where they say "Barbara has taken on a new motto: When in doubt, go back to the original Fleming material." She's always said that, never done it, but always said it.

I'd call these two stories a bit of educated guessing/wishful thinking.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

John P. Drake wrote: I doubt they'll be delaying the film's release date. Universal will lose millions, otherwise.

I think they can put out any old rubbish and it will do well at the box office. It's a Bond movie and the first for four years.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
John P. Drake wrote: I doubt they'll be delaying the film's release date. Universal will lose millions, otherwise.

I think they can put out any old rubbish and it will do well at the box office. It's a Bond movie and the first for four years.
. There is some truth to this, only thing that changes things is Star Wars and the DCU f’ing up and the new notion audiences might punish studios for bad story telling. If it applies to bond who knows. They gotten by with some crappy stories never repenting at most acknowledging it wasn’t great and glad the audiences rewarded them for it.

I think the lower bo were result but not enough to stun EON. If I remember the number correctly CR in the same ball park attendance wise as DAD, QOS went back wards, Skyfall is the only huge bo success Craig has to point to, but the movie didn’t age well and is not considered the best of the Craig era, spectre did a lot less than SF. Out of the four movie SF was the only real money maker, QOS and SP were big budget little return films with the Home video market a trickle compared to where it used to be.

Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

All in all,one thing needs to be said. Craig has certainly become Calvin Harris of cinema. No one in the history of movie making has done so much with so little. I know a man who never passed the stage of a theatre he worked for and in comparison to Craig he comes off as Alain Delon.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

RIP Jacqueline Pearce, best known as Servalan in Blake's Seven.

ETA link to obituary: https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ssion=true
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Marvel's version of Wonder Woman: Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I've seen two reports that Daniel Craig is signed up for non-Bond movies. One is a Rian Johnson Star Wars film, and the other is an unnamed murder mystery. Dunno how much credence to give these reports, but I thought I'd at least mention them. People have been saying that it raises the possibility of him not appearing in Bond 25, but I've had my hopes raised and then dashed too many times.

John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

I think the mystery film is the one to be directed by Rian Johnson.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

TMZ reports that the woman who famously played Mary Ann Summers in Giligan's Island is about $200,000 in debt. A friend has now launched a GoFundMe so that the former TV star can move to an assisted care facility, "hopefully in the motion picture home that she likes," the GoFundMe page says.

It seems that Dawn Wells has had some difficult health battles of late. She was recovering from a major surgery last year that "came close to killing her," the page says, she also broke her knee earlier this year.

According to the GoFundMe page, Dawn said, "I just don't know what happened! I thought I would be just fine, but apparently I'm not. I've found myself with no home, husband or kids. I thank god everyday that I have friends and fans who care or this whole thing would be too overwhelming!" The fundraising page noted that Dawn got hit hard during the recession and lost almost all of her savings. :Bonk:

"Dawn needs $194,000 to help her move and pay her hospital costs as well as future expenses," the GoFundMe says.

A fundraising goal of $180,000 has been set, but after eight days, less than $2,000 has been raised. :shock:
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote:I've seen two reports that Daniel Craig is signed up for non-Bond movies. One is a Rian Johnson Star Wars film, and the other is an unnamed murder mystery. Dunno how much credence to give these reports, but I thought I'd at least mention them. People have been saying that it raises the possibility of him not appearing in Bond 25, but I've had my hopes raised and then dashed too many times.

The day I'll raise my hopes up is the day when Craig is finally replaced with, I hope, someone suitable for the part.