The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by dirtybenny »

Jason wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:39 am
Kristatos wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:50 pm
bjmdds wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:41 pm When it comes to James Bond, it was a no-go for Liam Neeson. In a new interview with Rolling Stone, the action star cleared up rumors that he was slated to take on the role of 007 in the early '90s, and shared why his late wife, Natasha Richardson, changed his mind about playing Agent 007.

"I was not offered James Bond. I know the Broccolis. They looked at a bunch of actors. Schindler’s List had come out and Barbara [Broccoli] had called me a couple of times to ask if I was interested, and I said, 'Yes, I would be interested,'" Neeson recalls of being approached for 1995's Goldeneye. "And then my lovely wife [Natasha Richardson], God rest her soul, said to me while we were shooting Nell down in the Carolinas, 'Liam, I want to tell you something: If you play James Bond, we’re not getting married.'"
I know Neeson has done action films, but I've never really seen him as Bond, to be honest.
Martin Campbell has stated that it was Brosnan and there really was no other contenders. The studio basically said it's going be Pierce.
I'm inclined to agree Jason, especially considering he was all but announced in '87 when Moore left No reason to believe they wouldn't pick up where they left off. I'm sure they auditioned some back-up actors just in case but I'm sure they were thinking Pierce all the way.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:50 am I'm inclined to agree Jason, especially considering he was all but announced in '87 when Moore left No reason to believe they wouldn't pick up where they left off. I'm sure they auditioned some back-up actors just in case but I'm sure they were thinking Pierce all the way.
John Glen said the same thing in an interview. Did anyone ever believe that "Timothy Dalton was always our first choice" line that they span at the time?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:James Gunn has high praises for the upcoming The Flash movie. The superhero film was mostly completed before its star Ezra Miller made months of headlines for a string of alarming behavior that included erratic social media rants, arrests and court appearances. Now, the standalone action film is scheduled to hit theaters on June 16. Gunn (who, in October, was named as the new co-CEO of DC Studios at Warner Bros. along with producer Peter Safran) told reporters on Tuesday, according to Deadline: "I will say here that Flash is probably one of the greatest superhero movies ever made." He added that the film's storyline "resets everything" for the franchise.
I always found Ezra millers flash very creepy. The trailer he’s still creepy but old Michael Keaton kind of saves it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

An upcoming reprinting of Ian Fleming’s 1950’s James Bond books will contain rewritten passages to remove “racially insensitive” words and stereotypes.The announcement comes on the heels of outrage over news that Roald Dahl’s books will be edited to be more “inclusive.” The new prints of the books will also contain the disclaimer, “this book was written at a time when terms and attitudes which might be considered offensive by modern readers were commonplace. A number of updates have been made in this edition, while keeping as close as possible to the original text and the period in which it is set,” the disclaimer adds. Before his death, the author agreed to allow US publishers to tone down racial references in Live and Let Die. https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/0 ... tive-words
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I can understand it with the Dahl books, because they're aimed at children, but the Fleming books were written for adults. I suspect these bowdlerised editions won't sell many copies (and yes, I know the American edition of LALD changed *that* chapter title.)

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Cr-egg became Bond in 2005 when he was 37.................tomorrow, he turns 55!-------------on his birthday in 2023 he technically still is James Bond because the demented head of EON has no clue what she will do with the franchise now that he was SUPPOSEDLY killed off in NTTD. Maybe she wants to pull out all stops and use the opening scene from YOLT and have him return alive, after being presumed dead? Time is ticking and still no decisions on anything relating to the future of the franchise! Only 1 Bond film has been made since 2015! Unreal! Image
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

Am in Los Angeles.Went to the Barnes and Noble at the Grove(posh shopping center) and they had a few copies of Being Bond.
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

While speaking with Variety, Hugh Jackman went on to express his fear of getting typecast, and accepting the offer of playing James Bond would have lowered his chances of getting different roles in the future. Jackman explained that after playing Wolverine in the X-Men movies, it was getting difficult for him to get distinct roles, and was feeling stuck, and playing Bond would have only made it worse. He stated, “I always tried to do different things, but there was a time between ‘X-Men 3’ and the first Wolverine movie when I could see the roles getting smaller. People wanted me to play that kind of hero part exclusively. It felt a little bit claustrophobic.” But apart from his fear of not being able to get diverse roles in his career, Jackman also revealed that he had no say on the creative side of the project, which was another reason that made him decline the offer. https://fandomwire.com/they-needed-to-b ... ames-bond/ Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Well, what did he expect them to do, make him an executive producer?

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

While no official announcement of who the next actor to play the iconic spy James Bond will be, actor Taron Egerton believes the role has already been decided and cast. Speaking to Total Film magazine for its latest issue, Egerton — who has been linked to the role for a couple of months now — said that he actually had never been a part of any conversations, nor had he ever met with producer Barbara Broccoli. In fact, Egerton said, he thinks the role had already been figured out. “Yeah. I mean, I think they’ve already got someone, and it’s not me,” said Egerton. “Yeah. I mean, I’ve never been a part of the conversations. I’ve never met the Broccolis. They’ve never enquired about me. I’ve just never been one of the guys that they’re looking at. I just don’t think I’m the right person for that. I think there’s much, much, much better candidates for that role than me. But, you know, I’d be a very willing audience member. They’re brilliant films."
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

That does contradict what Broccoli herself said, though.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

She buried her daughter last month and will head to Chiller Theatre's convention so soon next month for questions? http://www.chillertheatre.com/priscilla.mp4
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

When Broccoli recently was quoted saying " No, we haven’t even started casting yet. There isn't even a script", what the hell is going on at EON in 2023? It is as if the franchise is now in a perpetual hibernation state with no awakening in sight! If someone ELSE was running the show there would most likely be a new Bond selected and another film out in 2024. Eight years and counting now and only ONE Bond film, and it ends with him being blown up! Broccoli is a sick individual for sure, and she is being enabled by her partners as they believe she is the only person on the planet who can be successful with the franchise, which is ridiculous.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Broccoli is a sick individual for sure, and she is being enabled by her partners as they believe she is the only person on the planet who can be successful with the franchise, which is ridiculous.
I'm not sure they actually believe that. I think they're more sort of stuck with it. Her dad and Harry Saltzman were shrewd businessmen who managed to negotiate a huge amount of control over the franchise back in the heyday of Bondmania, and she is merely the inheritor of that. Amazon are no doubt putting the pressure on for more content, but their bargaining position is weak.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Denise Richards confessed: “It was very hard when that movie came out because I did get a lot of flack for it and it was not easy for me with the magnitude of the press that I did. And to go out there knowing people were making fun of me, that was the first time in my career that I had to deal with something like that. “It was very, very difficult for me and I just had to put a smile on my face and go out and do talk shows and then travel the world. I would go to my hotel room and cry because the reviews were making fun of me and saying stuff. It was very, very difficult.” The 52-year-old also shared how The World Is Not Enough director Michael Apted, who died in 2021, apologized to her.........ah, she could not handle the role's attention? Then don't sign up for it! She was just fine going topless though in the Film Wild Things a year earlier which got her noticed in the first place.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Yes, bad reviews are an occupational hazard for anyone in the public eye, but they have to sting nonetheless. It's easy to forget that there's a human being behind the character. It's like when Ahmed Best was almost driven to suicide by the amount of hate that Jar Jar Binks received.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

From Tomorrow Never Dies to winning an Oscar. Michelle Yeoh.......From Short Round in Indy 2 to winning an Oscar. Ke Huy Quan.........From Encino Man to winning an Oscar. Brendan Fraser.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I've just seen a clickbait article (I won't post the link) which suggests that Henry Cavill is still in the running to play Bond, joining such legendary actors as Pierce Brosnan, Roger Moore and...Kevin Conroy Image

Surely "mistakes" like that have to be deliberate, designed to provoke comments on social media. I don't believe that anyone could genuinely confuse Kevin Conroy with Sean Connery, let alone someone purporting to be an entertainment journalist.

(Edited to add a photo of Cavill in a tuxedo, so that I don't have to look at that photo of a shirtless Craig every time there's a new post in this thread.)

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

I guess college does not mean much these days: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnmXgqDI ... DJmNzVkMjY
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Despite the jump in viewers, the Oscars still turned in their third smallest viewer total since Nielsen began tracking that statistic, ahead of only the past two years........my friend and his wife TRIED to watch the winning picture when it was on Showtime on cable tv and had to shut it off after 20 minutes. They said is was not watchable. I never heard of this film before. Did anyone here see it?