The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by James »

tbp82 wrote:

Is Ross King someone who is considered a credible source or is this something else to be taking with a grain of salt?
Ross King is a veteran presenter/showbiz correspondent who does the moronic 'entertainment news' segments on a breakfast television show in Britain. No one picked up on his story (as far as I know) and I'm not aware of him ever being a film scooper (unlike Baz B of the Daily Mail). I think his prediction that Craig is coming back just feels like an obvious punt. Most of us expect that Barbara will get him back for another. The part about shooting this year sounds dodgy. I thought Craig was doing a TV show.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
tbp82
Commander

Post by tbp82 »

Baz B of the mail is usally legit huh?

Isn't he the one who reported Barbara was in favor of Jack Huston taking the role? I know some here aren't a fan of Huston but I think he checks all the boxes. He looks the part, he can play charming, he can play dangerous, not sure how he'd be at the one liners but I can think of a lot worse choices.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Baz Bamigboye used to have a terrible reputation. He was always reporting that each new Bond film would be called Avatar (before James Cameron finally beat them to it), that Anthony Hopkins was going to play the villain etc. But he scooped the story that Moneypenny would appear in Skyfall, and I think couple of others, so his stock has gone up in recent years.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
tbp82
Commander

Post by tbp82 »

Kristatos wrote:Baz Bamigboye used to have a terrible reputation. He was always reporting that each new Bond film would be called Avatar (before James Cameron finally beat them to it), that Anthony Hopkins was going to play the villain etc. But he scooped the story that Moneypenny would appear in Skyfall, and I think couple of others, so his stock has gone up in recent years.
Gotcha so he's hit or miss as well. Do you think it's possible with Babs relationship with Huston and Craig that they want Craig first but Huston is the backup if he falls through?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

tbp82 wrote:
Gotcha so he's hit or miss as well. Do you think it's possible with Babs relationship with Huston and Craig that they want Craig first but Huston is the backup if he falls through?
No idea. Like everyone else here, all I have to go on is rumour and speculation.
tbp82
Commander

Post by tbp82 »

If it's Craig or Huston? Im guessing you prefer Huston.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Deborah Watling, who played the companion to the second Doctor on BBC’s long-running Doctor Who, has died after a brief battle with cancer, the BBC reports. She was 69. According to The Telegraph, Watling was diagnosed with lung cancer six weeks earlier.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Deborah Watling, who played the companion to the second Doctor on BBC’s long-running Doctor Who, has died after a brief battle with cancer, the BBC reports. She was 69. According to The Telegraph, Watling was diagnosed with lung cancer six weeks earlier.
Only 69? She must have been very young when she appeared in the show.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Rumors are swirling that Ben Affleck may be out as Batman. The Hollywood Reporter, citing sources, claims Warner Bros. is working to move the 44-year-old actor out of the role, possibly in favor a younger actor, for 'The Batman' film. :up: A rep for Affleck declined to comment. Reps for Warner Bros. did not immediately return Fox News' request for comment. It was revealed last week that the new director, Matt Reeves, had thrown away the script Affleck had penned. When he was asked by MTV if he was using Affleck's work he replied, "No, it’s a new story. It’s just starting again. I’m excited about it. I think it’s going to be really cool." Reeves said he planned on a "noir" take of Batman for his script, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Reeves also has acknowledged that he has a Batman 'trilogy' rolling around in his head, and given his success making two-thirds of a trilogy out of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and War for the Planet of the Apes, it seems fair to anticipate that Warner will want him to realize his vision..........where is The FBF? Another Bat trilogy and without Nolan? Your thoughts. :idea:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

That's a good sign for the D.C. Universe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Kristatos wrote:Baz Bamigboye used to have a terrible reputation. He was always reporting that each new Bond film would be called Avatar (before James Cameron finally beat them to it), that Anthony Hopkins was going to play the villain etc. But he scooped the story that Moneypenny would appear in Skyfall, and I think couple of others, so his stock has gone up in recent years.
He reported:

Skyfall
--Ralph Fiennes was in the cast.
--Albert Finney was in the cast.
--Naomie Harris was playing Moneypenny.

SPECTRE
--Naomie Harris' Moneypenny would be more of a sidekick. Perhaps an exaggeration, but she wasn't desk-bound.
--Neal Purvis and Robert Wade were hired to rewrite John Logan's drafts. Turned out to be the case.
--An earlier plan to make Bond 24 and Bond 25 a two-film arc had been scrapped. (Mendes confirmed in a U.S. television interview)

FOOTNOTE: The Mail on Sunday (but not Bamigboye) wrote that Waltz was playing Blofeld but that he was going by the name Oberhauser.
tbp82
Commander

Post by tbp82 »

bjmdds wrote:Rumors are swirling that Ben Affleck may be out as Batman. The Hollywood Reporter, citing sources, claims Warner Bros. is working to move the 44-year-old actor out of the role, possibly in favor a younger actor, for 'The Batman' film. :up: A rep for Affleck declined to comment. Reps for Warner Bros. did not immediately return Fox News' request for comment. It was revealed last week that the new director, Matt Reeves, had thrown away the script Affleck had penned. When he was asked by MTV if he was using Affleck's work he replied, "No, it’s a new story. It’s just starting again. I’m excited about it. I think it’s going to be really cool." Reeves said he planned on a "noir" take of Batman for his script, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Reeves also has acknowledged that he has a Batman 'trilogy' rolling around in his head, and given his success making two-thirds of a trilogy out of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and War for the Planet of the Apes, it seems fair to anticipate that Warner will want him to realize his vision..........where is The FBF? Another Bat trilogy and without Nolan? Your thoughts. :idea:
I saw that yesterday. I think that letting Reeves make a movie without being tied into the DCU would be a good thing. I know multiple story arcs are in vogue right now but I don't think it's necessary. One of the things I've always loved about Bond movies are until the Craig era you really didn't have to see one to understand what was going on in the others. I think that's one of the reasons Bond has lasted so long as a franchise.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

What the hell was Valerian? Only heard about it because the headline are it's a sci-fi bomb. Never heard about it before now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I've seen the trailer and I was vaguely aware of the French comic it is based on. It's the new SF film from Luc Besson. The Fifth Element was a bit of a curate's egg, IMO, and I'm sure that this will be no different.

Oh, and Affleck has denied the rumours, for what it's worth.
tbp82
Commander

Post by tbp82 »

Affleck denying the rumuor could be a PR move as the reports state WB wants to phase him out after JL.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

tbp82 wrote:Affleck denying the rumuor could be a PR move as the reports state WB wants to phase him out after JL.
Or maybe he just doesn't know. If you'd asked Pierce if he was going to be in CR this far from release, he'd have said yes too.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:I've seen the trailer and I was vaguely aware of the French comic it is based on. It's the new SF film from Luc Besson. The Fifth Element was a bit of a curate's egg, IMO, and I'm sure that this will be no different.
I know the series as Valerian and Laureline. It was a very cool Doctor Who meets MIB kind of vibe, written in the 60s as well. As I recall the original plot was a time agent is assigning to go in time back to witness events in medieval Earth, think Laureline was a travelling singer who turned down a lords sexual advance, a social faux pas in medieval France. Maybe this part is wrong,I'm sure she was going to be executed for next to nothing by today's standard. She and the musician she is travelling with are going to be killed by a mob, she noticed the time traveller just watching and involves him, they both have to run away form the villagers with pitchforks, he tries to ditch her and get to his ship, she will not let him leave without her, so she ends up on the ship and leaving for the future. Valerian figures it is no big deal after all because Laureline was a nobody about to be killed over all fate of humanity should be safe. When they got home to the future it is a different place, the alliance that monitors time and the galactic civilisation with earth as major part of it are gone, they never existed. Nobody has seen their species before. Not long before both of them are on the run with no money and no resources beside their ship. As I recall the earth disappears about the time of the moon landing in the 1969, never existing for first contact a hundred years later. Valerian and Laureline run from dangerous situation to dangerous situation trying to find our what happened to earth. It's not a simple story because the Laureline was not the cause of change in the timeline and never could be.Valerian's superior may have given him the mission to keep him safe and may have left hidden clues through out time for Valerian to find. This is how I remember it. I never finished the series because it is so voluminous, there also may be different retellings of the story.

I always like the character of Laureline there was no one like her in scifi far a very long time.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Deborah Watling, who played the companion to the second Doctor on BBC’s long-running Doctor Who, has died after a brief battle with cancer, the BBC reports. She was 69. According to The Telegraph, Watling was diagnosed with lung cancer six weeks earlier.
Only 69? She must have been very young when she appeared in the show.
I thought she was older, Victoria was a young character never accrued to me she was 18-19 in those shows. In my defence anybody over ten was an adult.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Sony's Spider-Man: Homecoming dropped 50% in its third weekend, finishing in third position with an estimated $22 million, bringing its domestic cume to $251.7 million. Spider-Man added another $33.2 million internationally bringing its overseas cume to $320 million, pushing its global tally over $570 million.

Fox's War for the Planet of the Apes finished in fourth position, and like the massive 62% drops for both Spider-Man and Transformers: The Last Night in their second weekends, War of the Apes is the latest franchise feature to experience a steep decline in its sophomore session. Apes finished with an estimated $20.4 million, a nearly 64% drop from its opening weekend. The film's domestic cume now stands at $97.7 million.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I just noticed...Sony's Spiderman: Homecoming? I thought Homecoming was supposed to be the movie that brought Spidey into the MCU, and that the rights had reverted to Disney Marvel Studios.