The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Alessandra »

Superman's Swagger, Cary Grant's accent

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I haven't managed to get a demo of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. unfortunately which means I have to wait until bloody SEPTEMBER here to see it (WHAT ON EARTH!) but I have a couple of friends who did see it and said it's one of the most enjoyable spy movies they've seen over the past decade, and that it is and I quote "James Bond as it should be and used to be".
I CANNOT wait!
And... they used the most perfect actor to ever walk the planet, Cary Grant, as reference for Henry's American accent (that's why it sounds good!). Can't ask for anything better. The actor Fleming originally chose as Bond used as reference for Solo's accent. YES!!
"Are we on coms?"
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

The Saint 007 wrote:The Moore era isn't perfect, but the combination of Moore's charming and humorous nature along with qualities like cool soundtracks, characters, action/stunts, set pieces, etc., all just seemed to work and made his films very enjoyable and entertaining, in my opinion.
The Bond soundtracks definitely were weaker in the Moore era than in the 1960s, I think most people would agree on this.

The stunts and set pieces were fantastic though, especially the stunts were far more spectacular than in the 60s.

Characters were mostly variations of the villains and henchmen in the 60s, but that's ok of course, that's what Bond villains are supposed to be like.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

The Saint 007 wrote:
Omega wrote:I think there could be a point about Moore making weaker scripts work.

I think Dalton and brosnan did too but Moore got some particularity weak scripts that he pulled off. Moore didn't get a frwl, ohmss, ltk, ge. Each of the bonds got at least one movie that they shine in, even their detractor s say is ok . Moore has a few people who like his bond point out but those movie do not seem to be as accepted as the other bonds.
I'm not trying to put Moore down I think he didn't have a fair chance judging by daf, the fact he enjoyed as much success is a testament to his ability to pull it off despite the handicap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only are Moore's most highly rated Bond films, although Live And Let Die also seems to get a decent amount of praise from fans as well. While his other Bond films get mixed reviews, there's still plenty of people who appreciate them. The Moore era isn't perfect, but the combination of Moore's charming and humorous nature along with qualities like cool soundtracks, characters, action/stunts, set pieces, etc., all just seemed to work and made his films very enjoyable and entertaining, in my opinion.
I'm really not dissing Moore as a actor or his Bond,
His problem was the producers were not taking bond seriously, they hired pretty but apparently dumb girls who could not act. ( it's like Moore kept getting denise Richards cast as his leading lady each movie.) And that jail bait skater girl in fyeo,

It may be that I'm of a generation who had Dalton and brosnan movies as my introduction to bond .

Imo Moore had some
Bad ass scenes that were as serious and cold blooded as anything bond would ever do. But he never got the full package like the others bonds got at least once because the producers were too obsessed with 70s culture and other popular culture to bother about getting bond just right.

Maybe to people my age his movies seem tied to a time we don't know much about, imo even though all the movies are a product of their time it's more of a backdrop thing, yes that's a joke of a cell phone brosnan had in today's standard but it didn't distract from the story . It was not so front and center that it can't be ignored, for me it's hard to separate the girls who can't act and 70s trappings and poor technology .

Imp Moore was screwed over because he didn't get a fair chance to show what he could do. With out the producers getting in the way. Maybe I'm wrong about that .

............ :007:
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Count_Lippe wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:The Moore era isn't perfect, but the combination of Moore's charming and humorous nature along with qualities like cool soundtracks, characters, action/stunts, set pieces, etc., all just seemed to work and made his films very enjoyable and entertaining, in my opinion.
The Bond soundtracks definitely were weaker in the Moore era than in the 1960s, I think most people would agree on this.

The stunts and set pieces were fantastic though, especially the stunts were far more spectacular than in the 60s.

Characters were mostly variations of the villains and henchmen in the 60s, but that's ok of course, that's what Bond villains are supposed to be like.
The soundtracks for A View To A Kill and Moonraker are my two personal favourites, and in my opinion, are alongside some of the 60s soundtracks as John Barry's better efforts. As I've mentioned before, it's a shame both scores weren't fully released, not even on the so-called Remastered Edition CDs. Moore didn't have the benefit of having John Barry do all the scores for his Bond films, but I still get some enjoyment out of the non-Barry scores even if they are a bit dated. Always loved the Bond 77 theme by Marvin Hamlisch, and Bill Conti's cool variation of the James Bond theme.

I also think the Moore era had some of the nicest locations, with Egypt being one of my favourites.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Omega wrote:I'm really not dissing Moore as a actor or his Bond,
His problem was the producers were not taking bond seriously, they hired pretty but apparently dumb girls who could not act. ( it's like Moore kept getting denise Richards cast as his leading lady each movie.) And that jail bait skater girl in fyeo,

It may be that I'm of a generation who had Dalton and brosnan movies as my introduction to bond .

Imo Moore had some
Bad ass scenes that were as serious and cold blooded as anything bond would ever do. But he never got the full package like the others bonds got at least once because the producers were too obsessed with 70s culture and other popular culture to bother about getting bond just right.

Maybe to people my age his movies seem tied to a time we don't know much about, imo even though all the movies are a product of their time it's more of a backdrop thing, yes that's a joke of a cell phone brosnan had in today's standard but it didn't distract from the story . It was not so front and center that it can't be ignored, for me it's hard to separate the girls who can't act and 70s trappings and poor technology .

Imp Moore was screwed over because he didn't get a fair chance to show what he could do. With out the producers getting in the way. Maybe I'm wrong about that .

Fair enough, and I wasn't implying that you're dissing Moore if that's what you thought. Some stronger content would have certainly made the Moore era even better, but it still isn't all that bad overall even as it is. Moore always did his best with the content he was given. Perhaps I'm bit biased, since Moore along with Connery are the Bonds that introduced me to the series, and I grew up with watching the most. Dalton and Brosnan aren't bad, but I could never get into their Bond films as much.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Alessandra wrote:Superman's Swagger, Cary Grant's accent

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I haven't managed to get a demo of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. unfortunately which means I have to wait until bloody SEPTEMBER here to see it (WHAT ON EARTH!) but I have a couple of friends who did see it and said it's one of the most enjoyable spy movies they've seen over the past decade, and that it is and I quote "James Bond as it should be and used to be".
I CANNOT wait!
And... they used the most perfect actor to ever walk the planet, Cary Grant, as reference for Henry's American accent (that's why it sounds good!). Can't ask for anything better. The actor Fleming originally chose as Bond used as reference for Solo's accent. YES!!

It's a good article when Cary Grant and Don Draper are mentioned. :mrgreen: anyway I am looking foward to the movie. :up:
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Omega wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:
Omega wrote:I think there could be a point about Moore making weaker scripts work.

I think Dalton and brosnan did too but Moore got some particularity weak scripts that he pulled off. Moore didn't get a frwl, ohmss, ltk, ge. Each of the bonds got at least one movie that they shine in, even their detractor s say is ok . Moore has a few people who like his bond point out but those movie do not seem to be as accepted as the other bonds.
I'm not trying to put Moore down I think he didn't have a fair chance judging by daf, the fact he enjoyed as much success is a testament to his ability to pull it off despite the handicap.

The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only are Moore's most highly rated Bond films, although Live And Let Die also seems to get a decent amount of praise from fans as well. While his other Bond films get mixed reviews, there's still plenty of people who appreciate them. The Moore era isn't perfect, but the combination of Moore's charming and humorous nature along with qualities like cool soundtracks, characters, action/stunts, set pieces, etc., all just seemed to work and made his films very enjoyable and entertaining, in my opinion.
I'm really not dissing Moore as a actor or his Bond,

Imo Moore had some

Even though his movies may be a mixed bag I think his performance was always great.
Moore played it for laughs with his charm and humor so I think he showed what he can do. And he wasn't half bad in some more serious scenes either.
He always looked like he was putting no effort at all and that's what I always liked the most about him.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Boxofficemojo: Forecast (July 31 - Aug. 2)
1. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - $48.7 million
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Wrestling legend “Rowdy” Roddy Piper has died at age 61, TMZ reports.

Piper died of cardiac arrest in his Hollywood home, according to the website. Piper was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2006, but said last year that he was free of the disease. Image
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:Wrestling legend “Rowdy” Roddy Piper has died at age 61, TMZ reports.

Piper died of cardiac arrest in his Hollywood home, according to the website. Piper was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2006, but said last year that he was free of the disease. Image
I wonder what would be like if he was Bond.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

bjmdds wrote:Wrestling legend “Rowdy” Roddy Piper has died at age 61, TMZ reports.

R.I.P.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I now want to watch They Live again as a tribute.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

Do Americans just EVER realize how much doping is allowed (CONTRARY to what happens in the rest of the civilized world) in US sports and how they don't control it? All these wrestlers dying so young and having horrible illnesses to their lymphatic system... do people think it's a freaking coincidence???
"Are we on coms?"
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I was just thinking about how many have died young and with cancer related illnesses .

............ :007:
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Alessandra wrote:Do Americans just EVER realize how much doping is allowed (CONTRARY to what happens in the rest of the civilized world) in US sports and how they don't control it? All these wrestlers dying so young and having horrible illnesses to their lymphatic system... do people think it's a freaking coincidence???
Most Americans don't consider professional wrestling a sport, because it's scripted theater. Americans do get worked up over doping in Major League Baseball, American football, etc.

That said, what's going on in professional wrestling with these participants dying at a young age is tragic.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Alessandra wrote:Do Americans just EVER realize how much doping is allowed (CONTRARY to what happens in the rest of the civilized world) in US sports and how they don't control it? All these wrestlers dying so young and having horrible illnesses to their lymphatic system... do people think it's a freaking coincidence???
Vince McMahon is responsible for all of this by rewarding the bigger wrestlers with huge contracts. So many are gone young in the wrestling game, and TOP named performers at that. It's all steroids. It rots out their bodies over time and no human looks like they do unless they bulk up with steroids. http://www.chron.com/entertainment/arti ... to-6140541
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

RIP Roddy. They Live is a great movie and it was enhanced by Piper being in it.

I believe the WWE rebranded wrestling as "sports entertainment" so they would not b regulated/taxed by the US state sports boards. Unfortunately sports people such as those in athletics (track and field) take performance enhancing drugs to be better to earn more money. It would be a shock but not a surprise if Usain Bolt was caught taking drugs.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Saturday Update: Paramount reports that Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation earned a solid $20.3 million on opening day Friday, including Thursday night's $4 million start. Yesterday's bow was almost 4 percent stronger than 2011's Rise of the Planet of the Apes ($19.5 million), which also opened in early August. Rogue's first day take is also 22 percent higher than Mission: Impossible III's $16.6 million bow in May 2006, which adjusts to a comparable $20.6 million using 2015 ticket prices. Early word of mouth for the fifth installment in the series is excellent as the pic boasts an "A-" CinemaScore and a 93 percent Flixster user score, one of the three best day-after-release scores among all 2015 releases -- and that's on top of its excellent 93 percent rating from critics. Beyond the film's strong reviews, goodwill from the previous blockbuster installment (Ghost Protocol) is carrying over here. We fully expect long legs throughout the remainder of summer. BoxOffice is projecting an opening weekend around $55 million for the Tom Cruise vehicle.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

How long we will have to wait until we have a billion dollar M:I?
Fakhrul
New Recruit
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, Goldfinger, From Russia With Love, The Spy Who Loved Me, The World Is Not Enough, Tomorrow Never Dies,
Favorite Movies: Kung Pow, Every Batman films, Superman I, Spiderman I and II

Post by Fakhrul »

Too many legends from different entertainment kind die this year. RIP Rowdy. :(
And regarding steroids, Wrestling used to be HUGE on steroids. 80s had practically everyone on steroids and some on coke, too. Steroids's usage died down in early 90s with McMahon's steroids trial, but came back strong in late 90s. Now, they were banned with Benoit + Eddie's death, but some were still pretty suspect (Ryback, Big E). You can see when Hogan bulked down and slimed down and estimated when steroids were rampant.