The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote:"Written, produced and directed by Daniel Craig. Executive Producer: Daniel Craig. Director of Photography: Daniel Craig. Assistant to Daniel Craig: Daniel Craig."

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
You just reminded me of this. https://goo.gl/images/iJjueE
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

At last, the truth is revealed.Image

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote:The only thing Boyle means to me is that this film might be stalled again missing its start date for production. I’d think if Boyle is on board then the script he commissioned wouldn’t be acceptable either but with eon who knows.
Far as Boyle as a director I’m not sure what he’d bring to the project. Let’s just get a proxy director and let Craig direct and act with a director in name only relaying orders from Craig to the crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We're what a year away from release, that's par for the course with EON, I mean this Boyle fiasco only set them back a little more than 6 months. It was a year ago they announced triumphantly I might add that Purvis and Wade were hard at work on their new script. They'll just dust off OHMSS 2.0 and get right back at it continuing to write and rewrite and re-shoot up until October 2019. I do believe the production will get set back but that has more to do with the studio's financial situation than Boyle dropping out.

Kristatos wrote:"Written, produced and directed by Daniel Craig. Executive Producer: Daniel Craig. Director of Photography: Daniel Craig. Assistant to Daniel Craig: Daniel Craig."

Isn't that what we've been pretty much told since QOS?
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Patrick Smith: Independent.co.uk: 'Why not take this as an opportunity to jettison a jaded Craig (he said after Spectre he’d rather slit his own wrists than play 007 again), replace him with, say, Tom Hardy, and hire some dynamic new writers alongside Boyle’s successor? Now that would be a fresh start.'-----------------------why is Cr-egg included in any EON statement? He is NOT critical to it's future. He is part of their rancid past :!: Once again, Broccoli elevates her porcupine to the inner sanctum when he is yesterday's tired news :!: She still does not get it :!: No director with 15 months to go for release :!: Good riddance :!:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I wonder if Ron Howard is available.

Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:I wonder if Ron Howard is available.

hed be a perfect fit

............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I was joking. Not that I think he'd do a bad job, but bringing him in would be a sign of desperation, like it was with Solo.

dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Fat chance of Craig going anywhere now. No way is Babz going to put herself in the position of having to find a new actor as well as director. It'll be interesting who she finds to take Boyle's place, especially now that like a rabid lion who's developed a taste for human flesh, she now only craves esteemed directors.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:I was joking. Not that I think he'd do a bad job, but bringing him in would be a sign of desperation, like it was with Solo.

I was going along with your joke. Say
Ron Howard I immediately think solo scab director :)

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I was listing to someone who I guess is a Hollywood insider. She’s glad Boyle is gone said fans should be too. What was interesting is she praises Craig as one if not the most popular bond ever (based on BO alone) then said he was made a lot of bad bond movies and been running of fumes since CR. She also brought up he slashing wrists comment .

Most insightful thing she had to say was bond needs a new director who will excite audiences since they were already passing by bond 25 with more excitement and speculation about bond 26.

Also said craig really cares about the director since he’s getting a backend deal on top of his $25 million salary which if the film is big enough will net him close to $100 million. She’s talking Skyfall big or bigger with similar deals for Robert downy jr and Harrison ford and other actors getting big paydays from reaching BO goals.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Broccoli will look for a woman director now. :idea: Cr-egg is almost drowned now in his Bond future :Happy: .................George Simpson:express.co.uk: 'If EON productions were to go back to the Purvis and Wade script, it seems very likely that Bond 25 would be pushed back from its October 2019 cinematic release to 2020. This would mean a five year gap between Bond films, not to mention an even older Craig. With such difficulties now apparent, fans cannot be certain Craig won’t jump ship and let a reboot with another actor happen earlier than planned. Enter Christopher Nolan, who wants to helm a 007 “reinvention”? After all, Timothy Dalton was set to star in a third film, Goldeneye, but turned it down when production was stalled. No doubt decisions are currently underway at EON and another statement will be released in due course...................Richard Newby:Hollywood Reporter: 'Rushing a new script and another Bond into production to meet the release date next year seems ill-advised and an insult to all that Craig has put into his performance. And waiting another year or two for a 2020 or 2021 release date drains any momentum left in an arc that fans are already anxious to see conclude. Rather than force an entry that is apparently no longer there, Eon should go back to the drawing board and figure out who the next Bond is, who can write and direct it, and what the character can mean for the upcoming decade. Craig hasn’t left the role yet, but his Bond seems to be in the midst of death throes. While it may be premature, it seems for now that James Bond is dead. Long live James Bond.'......................The Sun:'It is thought that he and his co-producers clashed with Boyle once too often, leaving the Trainspotting director feeling there was no choice but to walk out.'

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I didn’t mention Nolan in my last post, on of the topic getting fans excited for bond 25 when so many were on to 26 and recasting and new direction Nolan came up as a fan favorite. The line of thought is Nolan needs a fresh hit since his running on fumes from dark knight, also mentioned Craig is running on fumes.
Thing I disagree with is I don’t think Nolan is ready to sell out to Craig s Bond universe. I think Nolan would like a trilogy to set up his bond universe and his own bond. I don’t think he wants shot at last call for a Star who is only making the movie for the money.
Campbell cane up as a good replacement choice, except I don’t think he is. Goes against conventional wisdom but he’s not a good under pressure director and wasn’t that great with CR, he wasn’t happy with that movie for a lot of reasons and the best pArts of that movie were second unit production.
He is competent in his own way but the movies helmed were in the planning stages for years and more ready to go than what looks like this emergency director hunt is going to be.

Maybe it’s all a insurance scam to get the payout for failed production.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Plus I don't think Campbell would even want to do another one.

John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Campbell won't be coming around if Craig is still Bond. They don't get along well.

I've heard from someone - who had a conversation with Campbell during the DGA screening for The Foreigner - that the reason Campbell wasn't invited back to direct Quantum of Solace was because of Craig. Apparently, he pushed Craig into doing his own stunts quite a lot in order to make the film look authentic, and Craig didn't like it.

Considering how much creative control and influence Craig has on the production, Campbell won't set a foot on the threshold of the 007 stage or Eon's offices.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Going back to GE there are stories about Campbell in between takes screaming at Brosnan not to F’ this up. I doubt a sensitive soul like Craig could deal well with the same treatment
Also for Cr Campbell thought he’d get to christen a young James Bond, I think his choice was Henry Cavill and he was not happy about Craig getting the role. Lots of stories about him not being happy with his treatment by eon during CR.
But he’s always a director fanboy list as a favorite. Just like Nolan is seen as a savior to the series, I think Nolan has been clear he is interested but wants the creative control that rests with Craig right now also I don’t think he likes the Craig bond universe. Nolan is always creating homages to iconic bond movies, but he’s never given a nod to Craig’s crap universe. Besides I’m not sure Nolan is a good fit for bond, bond fans love him but as I’ve said before really watch him movies and there are a lot of innovative and unconventional choices that might not play well in bond.

John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

You're definitely right about Campbell being overrated among Bond fans. Granted, he's a very competent director and can deliver a film to live up to its entertainment value. But, he's not as masterfully crafted a director that biased fans claim to be. Look, I love GoldenEye, and The Mask of Zorro even more so, but there's no film in particular out there that excites me when the first thing I see is Martin Campbell's name plastered upon it. Names like Guy RItchie, on the other hand? That's a different story, I tell you.

As for Nolan... Only pseudo-intellectual know-nothings find him ingeniously minded. Name any particular scene in any Nolan film, I can counter it and diminish its "value".
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Nolan is really good at pretending to have original and ingenius ideas. Good grief,Inception just has to be the most overrated movie of the 21st century.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

It has been reported that it was not so much the producers with whom the Trainspotting film-maker clashed but the film’s star Daniel Craig, who was convinced to return as 007 one more time and is understood to have a large say in casting. According to The Telegraph, the rift came down to whether or not Tomasz Kot should play the film’s lead villain. The 41-year-old Polish actor is the star of Cannes Film Festival 2018 darling Cold War, and was apparently viewed as a “left-field” choice, certainly being less well known than the franchise’s last two villains, Javier Bardem (Skyfall) and Christoph Waltz (Spectre). Kot was reportedly lined up to play a Russian in a new script that riffs on the recent real-world political tensions with Russia, imagining it developing into a “modern-day Cold War”. Boyle was on board with this – having insisted on bringing a new script in for his version of Bond 25 – and it is thought not to have been a clash precipitated by overarching narrative concerns but the comparatively minor issue of the supporting cast. “I have heard that they wanted to bring that Cold War element in but update it to the modern day. “Danny Boyle was in for that. That wasn’t the problem. The problem came in when they were making the final decisions about casting pre-production.” Boyle apparently insisted on bringing in his frequent collaborator John Hodge to pen a new script, the existing one by long-serving Bond writers Neal Purvis and Robert Wade being put on ice. According to another industry source speaking to The Telegraph, this “infuriated” producer Barbara Broccoli.
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

bjmdds wrote:Boyle apparently insisted on bringing in his frequent collaborator John Hodge to pen a new script, the existing one by long-serving Bond writers Neal Purvis and Robert Wade being put on ice. According to another industry source speaking to The Telegraph, this “infuriated” producer Barbara Broccoli.
Oh, if that's true, that's just marvelous! _.// :-x It means that even after Craig calls it a day, we'll still be stuck with the same tired old Purvis and Wade scripts for the next twenty to thirty years or so! :( :jack:
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I saw that story and almost posted it, but the overreliance on anonymous sources was a red flag for me. Plus, an argument over the casting of the villain seems like rather a small hill to die on.