The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:56 pm No Time to Die‘s $6.3 million number yesterday in the USA is lower than last Thursday’s $11.6M charted by Venom: Let There Be Carnage (the second-best preview night during the pandemic after Black Widow‘s $13.2M). NTTD did only HALF of the other two films :!: :clap: Watch them spin it as a great thing. The end of Cr-egg is finally upon us so spread the word throughout the land and to all the inhabitants thereof...........NO MORE DANIEL CR-EGG :!: FORK TIME :!: DONE :!: :happy spin:
I shall be very interested to see the weekend actuals on Monday evening. Is it too much to hope that it comes in behind Venom's second week? I'll be even more interested to see its second weekend drop here in the UK. I think UK weekend charts are published on Tuesdays, at least that used to be the case.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Spitting Image PWB/Bond sketch is now up: https://fb.watch/8xhYUQfHMx/

Contains adult humour, as they say.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Deadline.com: Saturday AM: 'The wait is over as the 25th Bond finally hit U.S. movie screens yesterday grossing $23.3M, including $6.3M previews, on its way to a weekend of $60M :Happy: at 4,407 theaters. ( Sony’s “Venom: Let There Be Carnage,” is estimated at $32 million its 2nd weekend after opening at $90 million last week.) This is where tracking spotted Daniel Craig’s swan song as 007, and as we continually wrote, if Bond was going to overperform, it would mean that an overabundance of older moviegoers (45+) came out. Bond inherently is a property that skews older, :lol: and not younger like the Marvel properties. CNBC brazenly, and incorrectly, declared that No Time to Die was poised to make $100M at the domestic B.O., and that number was never in any rival studio or MGM/United Artist Releasing’s calculations. Even though advance ticket sales were outpacing Venom: Let There Be Carnage, in the pandemic era all box office forecasting has been thrown off course. Comscore/Screen Engine shows that 37% of No Time to Die‘s ticket buyers were over 45, :up: proportionally a higher share than Spectre‘s 29%. Males came out at 64%, with 57% over 35. Fifty-two percent were Caucasian, 17% Latino and Hispanic, 13% Black, and 18% Asian/other'..........it seems that a LARGE segment of a potential Bond audience IS relevant to these Eye-lash woke films, and these directors and producers did everything they could to appease those who stay home and alienate those that desire to see a 'proper' Bond film :!: How can you have a disturbed and psychologically ruined, teenage misfit sing the title song, and write such a moronic plot, to an audience that will overall reject it, based on these demographics? :!:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

This guy's video review with spoilers nailed it and it summed up the 15 year mission of this website:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Collider.com's comments: 'No Time to Die' Leads Saturday Box Office With $60 Million Domestic Opening: No time to celebrate, either; this is the fourth-best (or second-worst) opening for a Daniel Craig James Bond film. The $60 million debut from 4,407 theaters falls short of the opening weekends of other Craig Bonds such as Quantum of Solace, Skyfall, and Spectre, which opened at $67.5, $88.4, and $70 million, respectively. That’s not great, if you note that Quantum of Solace opened 13 years ago. The pandemic can no longer be blamed either, especially considering Venom: Let There be Carnage’s unexpectedly strong $90 million debut just last week and the fact that No Time to Die has been released exclusively in theaters. It should be noted that the film was outpacing Venom 2 in advance ticket sales leading up to its release. :Happy:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Interesting one of my friends was touring the preticket sales in big cities as a sign of how it’s opening weekend would be. So now it’s falling hard opening weekend,they did expect it to best venom, because it was better known and a proven track record. People fat venom, fast and furious, black widow, or open season with bonds return.

This also make the digital release day of opening argument, they were pointing at the movies not getting day of digital release as preforming better, if Craig stalls like it looks like he will it could be read as a missed opportunity for day of or Amazon special release.

To me the truth if it plays out like this $60 million or under is the audience didn’t care about Craig’s emo journey and wanted fun escapism. Also other franchises have cobbled together more than five movies the tell coherent stories. Audience expectations are high and they didn’t forgive spectre. Which was their warning like WB had on dc with audiences suddenly lacking interest on their properties while careing about off shoots like Aquaman and wonder one which were supposed to be any good in the BO, and the Marvel movies which even their lesser ones are still bigger hits, like Ant-man and wasp, black widow, Doctor Strange,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

David Mitchell on NTTD: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tertain-me

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:David Mitchell on NTTD: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tertain-me

Wow. Is DB writing at the guardian ?
Three United got my attention and the may be bitched in their order since I’m trying to do this on my phone

If Craig played Buttons, would he turn him into a man so tortured by unrequited love for Cinderella that he self-harms or attempts suicide?

But the job of playing James Bond is to remain watchable despite not being believable. That’s harder than acting – it requires magnetic star power. Only Sean Connery ever really mastered it, but all of the others, except Craig, at least tried.

The current film-makers are wantonly expending emotional capital the vast majority of which was earned by other people. A precious resource has been squandered in one attention-grabbing and ultimately miserable moment.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

The other funny thing is the positive spin about “aiming for $60 million”, what a joke every movie group I know of expected $80-100 million since venom did so well. All the indicator from Twitter and Facebook as well as pre sales in major cities had the industry believing it was a slam dunk.
Now they have headlines of aiming for $60 million which would be fewer tickets from when Craig battled happy feet for first place.

IMHO if this low bo proves to be the case, Craig damaged the bond franchise fatally probably by the time of skyfall. Certainly by spectre. The audience 007 janes bond had expected certain things from bond they haven’t gotten from Babs or Craig in decades.
The job for whatever comes next is not just to reboot but redefine a character that had been well established for 40 years prior. That character only existed in the movies, the books were inspirations and source but James bond was Sean Connery this is what the people expect from the movies, a Hitchcock adventure film with a charismatic leading actor taking them on a fun romp. Also the atmosphere in Ms office and with the familiarity of characters. René Mathis, Felix Leiter, Bill Tanner weren’t meant to be used as Babs did in Craig era.

Before when I heard about bonds daughter I had a thought I bet Babs would like to do a James bond jr series with a Jane bond. Now I don’t think she had an plans other than her obsession with Craig and not being cubby.

I guess they could reverse this in classic tv fashion with brosnan waking up from a coma after the events in DAD or after he was captured by mi6

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

MGM’s “No Time to Die” has grossed only "$56 million" from 4,407 theaters this weekend :!: More optimistic hopes from analysts and theater owners were that Cr-egg's final Bond film could perform similar to “Skyfall” ($88M) or “Spectre” ($70M) and weren’t realized :!: :clap: Overseas, No Time to Die saw its early total climb to $250 million-plus over the weekend for a worldwide cume north of $300 million. It earned another $89.5 million over the weekend from 66 markets for a foreign tally of $257.4 million — that is without China — and $313.3 million worldwide. In many regions it held well or was even up, such as in parts of Latin America..............so it has been out for 2 weekends overseas and 1 weekend in North America and these totals are NOT great at all :!: They claim they need over $800 million to break even. Word of mouth on this will NOT be good, so its legs should be cut off before they even attempt to run for weeks. If it drops off over 76% next weekend here as Venom did, EON will be in big trouble and Amazon will be in panic mode most likely. The advertisers will lower their payments for the next film as well if this turkey bombs even more. Broccoli has been served notice by the very audience she detests :!: Image These 2 losers and their love story killed Bond.......but will they kill the franchise? ....as Elaine says on Seinfeld to the soup lunatic-----NEXT :!: Relatable dialogue of Broccoli vs. the true Bond fans:
Last edited by bjmdds on Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

What will be telling is the CinemaScore. Kris what was it in the uk?

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

A- here big O. It means nothing now. These are the die-hard Cr-egg fans who won't be running back several times to watch this depressing batch of celluloid drivel. Deadline, Variety, Yahoo, and all the the other paid off media outlets are desperately trying to, as we say, put lipstick on this pig :!: Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:02 pm What will be telling is the CinemaScore. Kris what was it in the uk?
I don't think they survey outside the US. It's A- there.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:02 pm What will be telling is the CinemaScore. Kris what was it in the uk?
I don't think they survey outside the US. It's A- there.
I read that but for some reason I thought there was another more in-depth report coming out

A- isn’t bad about what you’d expect for any franchise except for the 62% would recommend it. I’m not sure how that relates when compared to other movies. To me it seems like pretty big number who’d say they wouldn’t recommend the movie, but it could be standard for these scores.

Irony-Man2
Lieutenant

Post by Irony-Man2 »

Well, I just saw it last night with my son. General thoughts ( with some mild spoilers):

1. It was fine. Just fine. Not top tier Bond, but good enough;
2. Craig actually seems for the first time to be enjoying playing Bond - he even smiles (18 minutes in as my son commented)
3. It could have easily have been edited to a shorter run time. I think it was Cubby Broccoli who always insisted (with the exception of OHMSS) that a Bond film should be no more than 2 hours. This film has lots of slow paced dialogue. The middle third of the film could have been accomplished in half the time
4. The action - again part of the editing issue - with the exception of the opening car chase, it was pretty generic. There was an atmospheric set piece in a forest and a one-shot fight up a stairway that were well done, but nothing groundbreaking
5. The gadgets - the watch was fun although its use gave rise to a cringeworthy "joke" by Bond, and there was this dropship airplane/submarine thingy that was used for about 2 minutes. What a waste!
6. Music - Was good enough. Zimmer referenced previous Bond films (especially OHMSS) and there were hints of his Dark Knight score in some of the action beats
7. The Regulars - For once, like Craig, they all seemed to be enjoying themselves (with the exception of Ralph Fiennes M, whose motivations and character seemed to switch to whatever the story demanded), but Moneypenny, Q and Leiter were reliable and professional - I actually really enjoyed Ben Whishaw's Q, and could seem him developing into a worthy foil for Bond (except for ... you know)
8. The ending: It ends the 5 film Craigology in a generic way (without really having earned the supposedly emotional climax). At the very least it will allow for a restart of the series although its probably too much to hope that they might try something daring (like a film arc set in the 60's), but we can hope

My biggest criticism with all of the Craig films is that they promised more than they delivered and they never understood a few things that I feel were central to the Bond mythology

1. Blofeld was never Bond's nemesis, Bond was Blofeld's nemesis - that changes the whole dynamic of their relationship ( and was better portrayed in the original films and books) Bond is Blofeld's nemesis, Blofeld retaliates on Bond, Bond seeks vengeance on Blofeld - to the point of obsession
2. Bond also had the respect and friendship of the people he worked with, and was not the subject of the cheap jokes and animosity as portrayed in the Craig films (which I think goes to the pathology of the producers not really liking the character). And in this film the end of Felix Leiter was another supposed emotional highlight that felt unearned - we never really saw the friendship between Bond and Leiter in the other films
3. Finally, Bond was supposed to enjoy life - or the smaller things in it - good food, a well made drink, good friends and satisfying though usually short-lived relationships with women. Craig's Bond was perpetually cranky and angry and didn't really seem to enjoy these things - although we saw a little of that in this filM.

That's it for me this time. I honestly can't be bothered to get too worked up over decisions made by franchises that meant so much to me in the past. I can enjoy them for what they were and even what they are.

Now I'm going to make myself a Vesper martini and settle down for Thanksgiving Dinner with a limited number of family and friends.

PS, its nice to be back on the forum. I am the sequel to the original Irony-man as I couldn't log back in and had to re-register as I originally registered 3 email addresses ago!
Irony-Man2
Lieutenant

Post by Irony-Man2 »

And inevitably, here's a bit of reconsideration of the value Pierce Brosnan brought to the series:

https://www.avclub.com/how-the-pierce-b ... 1847807054

Cheers
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

EVERY media outlet stated the obvious, that Bond films skew towards OLDER AND MALE audiences :!: Knowing this, why would Broccoli hire a deluded teenager to sing the title song and have a script dealing with paternal and matrimonial issues :?: :!: :hair: Broccoli does not get it and she never will. I hope this film is done in 2 weeks at the box office, in terms of real numbers, which sets the stage for an ultimate showdown of EON and Amazon.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Someone breaking down the bo in the USA had some interesting take aways.
She loved nttd thought it was one of Craig’s best but broke down the numbers
1. Hollywood can’t runaway from their wrong headlines last week and hyped expectations because it out tracked venom which did great. They need to own this mistake.

2. Barbra broccoli needs to pay attention. Make bond fun again. Bring back what the audience likes.

3. Craig’s negative attitude about the series. Now he acts like he never felt that way or said what he said but his attitude my have turned off fans years ago.

4. It took to long to get to theater

5. Audience was older not in the demographic venom has.

6. Bond is not big in China, the should expect $50 to $100 million at best.

7. Over all worldwide is not bad if if holds. $600 million to save face. $800 million to be a success. Traditionally Domestic bo is maybe 30% of bond so it still has a chance depending on how well it holds, but overall this is a warning to the franchise and should be taken seriously. [\i]

What got my attention is this was the first to see this as a business problem not something spin. Second is it recognizes these movies were not fun.
I don’t get how they can admit eon got away from the bonds they made for 40 years, then defend it as the best or following the formula.
Babs and Craig trashed the franchise, a lot of these people sat back praising the changes then denied bond had changed.
If worldwide bo dips as it should and closes under $600 million I think Amazon and eon will be careful restarting the franchise.
If they had a plan in place they could recast before New Years and start shooting so we get a new bond for the 60th. I doubt eon has made any plans or will move forward with any urgency.
Amazon I don’t think owns mgm yet they just signed an agreement and FTC has to sign off. I’m not sure how long all this takes, maybe it’ll be done by New Years

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:EVERY media outlet stated the obvious, that Bond films skew towards OLDER AND MALE audiences :!: Knowing this, why would Broccoli hire a deluded teenager to sing the title song and have a script dealing with paternal and matrimonial issues :?: :!: :hair: Broccoli does not get it and she never will. I hope this film is done in 2 weeks at the box office, in terms of real numbers, which sets the stage for an ultimate showdown of EON and Amazon.
Well, the holy grail of Hollywood blockbusters is the so-called "four quadrant movie." The conventional wisdom is that you need to be able to appeal to men under 25, men over 25, women under 25, and women over 25. Billie Eilish and the soap opera stuff are presumably a bid for the latter two groups respectively.

dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:39 am
What got my attention is this was the first to see this as a business problem not something spin. Second is it recognizes these movies were not fun.
I don’t get how they can admit eon got away from the bonds they made for 40 years, then defend it as the best or following the formula.
Babs and Craig trashed the franchise, a lot of these people sat back praising the changes then denied bond had changed.
If worldwide bo dips as it should and closes under $600 million I think Amazon and eon will be careful restarting the franchise.
If they had a plan in place they could recast before New Years and start shooting so we get a new bond for the 60th. I doubt eon has made any plans or will move forward with any urgency.
These "journalists" practice what I call "Reddit journalism," they maybe saw a handful of Bonds start to finish, but do a quick Reddit search to gleam the "universal truths" on the matter "Craig bestest Bond eva" etc. to give themselves street cred then "report" on it. Babz and Co. may have a new Bond picked out by New Years 2024, but I wouldn't go banco on it.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image