The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:
Kristatos wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:34 pm
bjmdds wrote:Safin's first named is LYUTSIFER. What kind of name is that?
Russian for Lucifer?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
You were correct it looks like:

Meaning of Lyutsifer: Russian form of Lucifer
Lyutsifer Origin: Russian
Lucky guess, though being Orthodox, I do know quite a few Russians and Russophiles.

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

Can you imagine having to spell “Lyutisfer” for people? :D
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

kater23 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:00 pm Can you imagine having to spell “Lyutisfer” for people? :D
Imagine his parents naming their kid Lucifer.
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

Maybe it’s a family name? LOL
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Rege-Jean Page to star in Saint reboot. I guess we can rule him out for Bond. For now, anyway.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... ssion=true

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

The world of English cricket is currently split like the bond world over Craig. There is a new short cricket tournament for "women and children" and traditionalists are moaning.

Will the new Saint be American?
Bring back Bond!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:39 pm Will the new Saint be American?
Page is British. Bristolian, IIRC.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:41 pm
carl stromberg wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:39 pm Will the new Saint be American?
Page is British. Bristolian, IIRC.
But they could still make him American. Reading the article they will probably make him English to cash in on his role in Bridgerton.
Bring back Bond!
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I see the Youtube function is working. BJ will be pleased!

Bring back Bond!
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

Omega wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:55 am Nu-Star Trek ruined their attempt to bring back Kahn. Bond has since QOS been trying to do the same thing bringing back Blowfeld, a lame attempt at Dr No would be the appropriate whimper for Craig’s era to go out on.
That's the trouble with remakes (or reboots reusing characters and scenes from the original) that your new movie will always be judged against the original, so you need to improve on the original for your movie not to look shoddy. So when they do it to such great and well-loved movies as Dr No or The Wrath of Khan, they're setting a really high standard that their movie needs to measure up against. More or less doomed to failure, I'd say, but I wish them luck with that.
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Rege-Jean Page to star in Saint reboot. I guess we can rule him out for Bond. For now, anyway.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... ssion=true

Hasn’t there been a number of Saint reboots? I think there was another tv series or movie on Netflix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

acid wrote:
Omega wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:55 am Nu-Star Trek ruined their attempt to bring back Kahn. Bond has since QOS been trying to do the same thing bringing back Blowfeld, a lame attempt at Dr No would be the appropriate whimper for Craig’s era to go out on.
That's the trouble with remakes (or reboots reusing characters and scenes from the original) that your new movie will always be judged against the original, so you need to improve on the original for your movie not to look shoddy. So when they do it to such great and well-loved movies as Dr No or The Wrath of Khan, they're setting a really high standard that their movie needs to measure up against. More or less doomed to failure, I'd say, but I wish them luck with that.
Good point.

Mini rant/
Without the history of Bond the Craig experiment would have never found a audience. The bond but not bond selling point was good enough for the critics to finally enjoy a bond movie.
But his movies are about fitting in homages of real bond film to build up Craig’s gravitas as bond. Which he shouldn’t need those crutches if he’s the real deal.

It’s not a reboot, Babs promised after Cr that Craig was just prequels to Sean’s bond, I remember her making some point about not touching the third rail as filmmakers revisiting their original movies, but she couldn’t actually make Craig stand on his own and carry the role without concocting various callbacks to previous movies help Craig’s image as being bond and not a bond variant (see what I did there? Loki season two! Long live the goddess of mischief!)

Still in the bond world Craig is a variant alligator version in the kiddie pool, he never owned the role on his own. Connery is the role, Moore lazenby Dalton brosnan all understood that and eventually made it their own.

There is no way to work Craig’s bond in to the rest of the franchise. There never was a real strong chronology so you could try whatever and still have some room to explain it. After skyfall and spectre there’s no way to explain it away. It was a reboot that never got to the good stories and picked out the same story themes pretty much established in CR to play again and again.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:"Safin is pulling all the strings... He’s controlling all of those megalomaniacs out there. He’s created them."
― Producer Barbara Broccoli on Safin's influence
Did they get joe don baker for a cameo? /JK

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

kater23 wrote:Y’all,I though we were never going to “see” each other again.That’s a scary thought.
When I tried the app and it didn’t work and then main page didn’t load in Safari I thought maybe this was it. Kind of hard to believe how long we all have been here online in one place.
I know people come and go as the news cycle brings up bond but it’s the same place it’s been since forever and it’s nice to come back to.

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

The video feature still does NOT work.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Omega wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:32 am
kater23 wrote:Y’all,I though we were never going to “see” each other again.That’s a scary thought.
When I tried the app and it didn’t work and then main page didn’t load in Safari I thought maybe this was it. Kind of hard to believe how long we all have been here online in one place.
I know people come and go as the news cycle brings up bond but it’s the same place it’s been since forever and it’s nice to come back to.

dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:24 am
acid wrote:
Good point.

Mini rant/
Without the history of Bond the Craig experiment would have never found a audience. The bond but not bond selling point was good enough for the critics to finally enjoy a bond movie.
But his movies are about fitting in homages of real bond film to build up Craig’s gravitas as bond. Which he shouldn’t need those crutches if he’s the real deal.

It’s not a reboot, Babs promised after Cr that Craig was just prequels to Sean’s bond, I remember her making some point about not touching the third rail as filmmakers revisiting their original movies, but she couldn’t actually make Craig stand on his own and carry the role without concocting various callbacks to previous movies help Craig’s image as being bond and not a bond variant (see what I did there? Loki season two! Long live the goddess of mischief!)

Still in the bond world Craig is a variant alligator version in the kiddie pool, he never owned the role on his own. Connery is the role, Moore lazenby Dalton brosnan all understood that and eventually made it their own.

There is no way to work Craig’s bond in to the rest of the franchise. There never was a real strong chronology so you could try whatever and still have some room to explain it. After skyfall and spectre there’s no way to explain it away. It was a reboot that never got to the good stories and picked out the same story themes pretty much established in CR to play again and again.

+1 on all of this, well said Big O!
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Trivia for Bond fans: The Covid-related delays made Donald Trump the first U.S. president whose term didn't contain a single 007 film since Dwight D. Eisenhower.
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

bjmdds wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:23 am Trivia for Bond fans: The Covid-related delays made Donald Trump the first U.S. president whose term didn't contain a single 007 film since Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Thus making the film tired, dated and worn-out if any of the supposed references to him "make it in" as promised by Craig.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Some one I respect their opinions on movies doesn’t dislike Craig but is not looking at as a fan of the series she judges it on moment it’s in the market place, she said she is really ready for a whole new bond and team behind it to refresh the series. Meaning Craig and the entire cast replaced and another direction.
Also that his best by date has expired. And they need something new. Again she’s not critical of Craig’s series or previous bonds, just as a movie fan she wants something fresh from bond.

My thought is if someone sympathetic towards the current series is disinterested or unenthusiastic how many more that bought tickets last two times out feel the same. Personally I thinks it’s also bonds held still by not being present in the movies so many other series are bringing fresh entertainment rapidly to the streaming , tv and movies.