The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by John P. Drake »

No matter what the fans chant, Disney/LucasFilm are pretty much set in their belief that Rian Johnson's vision is the direction they want to go with. They won't remake Episode VIII.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Count_Lippe wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Count, you like the Bruce Lee films?
I prefer Chinese Hercules. :lol:

[video][/video]
I love the old Kung Fu films, and it's pretty much all I watch these days. I've seen a review of Chinese Hercules that said the film was bad, but I still want to see it anyway as most of the Kung Fu films I watch are mixed in quality. The most ridiculous one I've seen so far has to be Taoism Drunkard also known as Drunken Wu Tang.

[video][/video]
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

John P. Drake wrote:No matter what the fans chant, Disney/LucasFilm are pretty much set in their belief that Rian Johnson's vision is the direction they want to go with. They won't remake Episode VIII.
great so he is their Zack Snyder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

The Saint 007 wrote: I love the old Kung Fu films, and it's pretty much all I watch these days. I've seen a review of Chinese Hercules that said the film was bad, but I still want to see it anyway as most of the Kung Fu films I watch are mixed in quality. The most ridiculous one I've seen so far has to be Taoism Drunkard also known as Drunken Wu Tang.
That's great. I only like the old ones from the 1970s, like old Bonds they have a certain atmosphere not found in newer films, both newer kung fu films and other films.

Re Chinese Hercules, it's not a classic but not bad though, definitely worth watching.

Another alternative to newer boring films is of course the 1960s Eurospy genre, great movies if you're a fan of the early Bonds, only a bit simpler and with smaller budgets.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:The Last Jedi's user rating on Rotten Tomatoes is now down to 54%. It does better on IMDb, with 7.8 out of 10 (or 78% if you prefer), but there's no reason to believe that the RT results are fixed. It does seem to have been pretty polarising, with some fans slamming it for not matching their own personal headcanon.
IMDb is always lopsided towards the movie, just like the vudu user metrics usually are much more favorable than the reviews.
guess the RT metric is legit after all. Not sure if it head cannon of just a departure in tone, or essentially remaking rogue one. I know a big star wars fan girl, she might be a Disney fan girl too, she was very disappointed by Last Jedi. Losing her is a bad sign but I guess for only those of us who know her and how devoted she is to the saga.

Oh And Last Jedi the toys aren’t selling well either, but neither did the American Indian massacre play sets. No kids wants to play as the Indians as the federal government rides down in a wave after wave of genocide where the lucky survivors get to live in prison camps called reservations. Essentially the same bright cheery world brought to Star Wars by Rian Craig Johnson. I don’t know how Disney let this guy have such a free hand with the story, he killed off main characters just to get them out of the way, never bothered properly explaining important plot points carefully left left dangling by TFA, or last Jedi, he used star trek login in Star Wars.

I’m half joking about some of my criticisms, only comparing the plight of American Indians to the fictional rebels to point out the trouble in Johnson’s storing telling and departure in tone, guess the siege of Masada would of worked just as well. Star Wars has to have some flicker of hope, not just straggling through.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:
Kristatos wrote: I’m half joking about some of my criticisms, only comparing the plight of American Indians to the fictional rebels to point out the trouble in Johnson’s storing telling and departure in tone, guess the siege of Masada would of worked just as well. Star Wars has to have some flicker of hope, not just straggling through.
Well, I'd say he achieved that with the final scene, where
Spoiler
the children get woke concerning the rebellion, and one of them uses the Force to pick up his broom
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Spoiler
children get woke concerning the rebellion, and one of them uses the Force to pick up his broom
A postage stamp size sene meant as a payoff to 2 and a 1/2 hours of story telling dead ends? I do like that scene and I don’t hate the movie on its own, but as part of the skywalker saga? Where skywalker was almost a after thought?

I don’t think there are too many rules for making a Star Wars movie, bad guys can turn good and good guys can lose their way, scoundrels can make the best heroes and win or lose nothing should be futile like so much of the rebels and Rey’s stories were.

I don’t have a problem with rebels losing its what they do best but the protracted slaughter of everybody and nonsensical Star Trek technology as a MacGuffin is a issue I can’t forget.
Empire strikes nothing was pointless, sure they can lose but it was on a personal level a small group of heroes fighting on a small scale but there always was a payoff and I don’t feel there was in Last Jedi which may be its biggest sin. But I don’t feel it’s necessarily a bad movie either. Unsatisfying perhaps is the best way to explain how I feel right now.

Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

[video][/video]
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I liked it better than you did, Omega. I agree with some of the criticisms, like that the Canto Bight sequence was fairly irrelevant and could have done with some major trimming. But I applaud the willingness to subvert expectations, which is precisely what most of the film's detractors object to.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:I liked it better than you did, Omega. I agree with some of the criticisms, like that the Canto Bight sequence was fairly irrelevant and could have done with some major trimming. But I applaud the willingness to subvert expectations, which is precisely what most of the film's detractors object to.
I think this is 90% of the motivation, subverting the expectations where TFA reinforced them.
Worked for Bond so why not. Although they haven’t thrown away 40 years of history so Star Wars is in a much better place going forward.
Far as my expectations I’m ok where most of the characters end up however the story of how they get there is not up to standard, I think the directors (or Disney’s )intention of keeping the audience on edge by subverting expectation problem was Johnson didn’t have the story to pull it off. Also rogue one was so similar it’s stupid to follow that movie up with this.

BTW Last Jedi held @ $20 million for Tuesday not sure if that supposed to be good or not.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I still haven't seen Rogue One, maybe that's partly why I have a higher opinion of The Last Jedi than you do.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

It looks like Star Wars is heading in the wrong direction. We await the official verdict from our FBF, the greatest critic of our time, who saw it 3 times I believe.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

All righty finally got the front page moved to the new server. Looks to be running correctly, if you all could check it out and let me know if it has got any errors I would appreciate it. Email for the forum and index page is probably down and will take some time to set up the new mail servers. Not really worried about email for the moment.
danielcraigisnotbond.com
Also testing new forum banner let m know what you think.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Image Image Image [video][/video]
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Rian Johnson has heard the fans’ complaints about The Last Jedi — and it turns out it doesn’t bother him that his film is sparking so many conversations. In response to a fan asking whether he thought it was a good thing The Last Jedi has been so polarizing among audiences, Johnson wrote in a tweet, “The goal is never to divide or make people upset, but I do think the conversations that are happening were going to have to happen at some point if sw is going to grow, move forward, and stay vital.” Still, in spite of that, the film has proved divisive online among fans, with many railing against the film’s depiction of Luke Skywalker, aspects of the Force, and other subplots. Many have chalked up the polarizing response to internet trolls, particularly racism and sexism against a film that displays a wide range of female leadership and heroic actions from a diverse cast.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

He may have multiple Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes and even two Tony Awards, but Al Pacino's newest movie, "The Hangman," has received the rare 0 percent critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes, TheWrap has learned. Pacino's latest bomb joins Adam Sandler's "The Ridiculous 6" in the zero percent club along with Elle Fanning's "The Nutcracker in 3D," and the "Saturday Night Fever" sequel "Staying Alive."
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

That's a shame. I was looking forward to The Hangman.
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Goldeneye wrote:All righty finally got the front page moved to the new server. Looks to be running correctly, if you all could check it out and let me know if it has got any errors I would appreciate it. Email for the forum and index page is probably down and will take some time to set up the new mail servers. Not really worried about email for the moment.
danielcraigisnotbond.com
It's not bad, but I think the photos and "Classic Bond Forum" should be a bit larger in relation to the 007 on each side.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:Rian Johnson has heard the fans’ complaints about The Last Jedi — and it turns out it doesn’t bother him that his film is sparking so many conversations. In response to a fan asking whether he thought it was a good thing The Last Jedi has been so polarizing among audiences, Johnson wrote in a tweet, “The goal is never to divide or make people upset, but I do think the conversations that are happening were going to have to happen at some point if sw is going to grow, move forward, and stay vital.” Still, in spite of that, the film has proved divisive online among fans, with many railing against the film’s depiction of Luke Skywalker, aspects of the Force, and other subplots. Many have chalked up the polarizing response to internet trolls, particularly racism and sexism against a film that displays a wide range of female leadership and heroic actions from a diverse cast.
Johnson’s reaction is complete crap. If he were George Lucas he could say that crap he’s not he’s someone who screwed up the story. He doesn’t have a grip on what made star wars work as a story, if he weren’t dealing with the Jedi and Skywalker saga he’d be fine, but he remade rogue one which had a ton of problems but again not a bad movie, although how it treats the Force was better than the crap Johnson decided to change. Mark Hamill says it’s not his luke skywalker and Disney isn’t following Lucas story.
Also the reaction Disney or maybe it’s just the entertainment press has that any bad reaction is internet trolls has been proven wrong by RT, they say the accounts voting were real. I doubted it at first too, the proof will be in the BO office if the reaction is real they will not hit two billion, but some snarky entertainment media like saying it’s making mad money and will make over a billon and like bond Spectre that had bad reactions too the series will be in a good spot financially, this kind of arrogant BS is why the BO numbers are falling year after year with only dwindling number big movie series keeping studios going.

Star Wars fans aren’t racist or sexist we’d follow a green puppet in to hell, some of the most popular characters are female, why the studio/ or just reporters feels they need to dismiss real criticism as just bigots that should be ignored is infuriating.

The answer is simple Disney screwed up, Kathleen Kennedy and their stifling studio system Meant to stop misfires at the BO wasn’t working for the last two years where they had to had to fire star wars universe directors and reshoot movies, which honestly they should have done for last Jedi too. Especially after Fisher died.
Rian Johnson didn’t have the chops to pull off a skywalker saga movie, he didn’t get the help from the people who helped Lucas make the original trilogy like JJ Abrams got, if he did he ignored it and people like Mark Hamill who know a thing or two about the saga.
As much crap TFA gets for rehashing A New Hope, which it did, it’s basically what the original Revenge of the Jedi story was.

My guess is that Rian Johnson’s smug tweet is going to land him in a s**t storm of epic proportion. He’d probably would be fine if he had kept his mouth shut.
He’s right that eventually Star Wars fans would have to have this kind of discussion it’d have to happen some time, but his arrogance is not going to go over well.

It’s not about expectations being challenged, it’s about a guy who wasn’t ready to write a script for a saga he didn’t understand. He’s fine as a director, it’s his story telling short cuts which sucks.

IMO the backlash will only grow after the initial euphoria of seeing a new Star Wars dies down. How many times do we get someone here who loves the new bond movie only to come back in a month or two admitting it was disappointing for some reason?

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Count_Lippe wrote:
Goldeneye wrote:All righty finally got the front page moved to the new server. Looks to be running correctly, if you all could check it out and let me know if it has got any errors I would appreciate it. Email for the forum and index page is probably down and will take some time to set up the new mail servers. Not really worried about email for the moment.
danielcraigisnotbond.com
It's not bad, but I think the photos and "Classic Bond Forum" should be a bit larger in relation to the 007 on each side.
I can’t see it guess I’ll need to look on the lap top.