The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

I didn’t hate Suicide Squad, although will Smith, Affleck and Leto took away from the movie and I can see the dark tone not being to everyone’s taste

Man of steel was a ok reintroduction of Superman but the story Introduced of Zod too early on and the early go to of big worldwide destruction was just too early without Superman establishing himself I had a lot of hope for the sequel which WB crapped all over trying to just start avengers box office.

BvS was complete waste of time. I’ve heard the extended cut works better but havent watched it yet.

For the most part I agree about age of altron, cap 3 was a much better hero collaboration movie on about the same concept . Not perfect just a better entry and much better than BvS in my book.

Arrowverse has some good stories but it goes too soap opera too often. One flash show he’s in an alternate world and his foster father is injured and he will not leave him , WTF first he kidnaps and drugs the real Barry Allen of that world then feels some emotional bs reason to keep impersonating his doppelgänger . Makes no f’ing sense if anyone thinks about it for more than a moment yet two shows are dedicated to this drama. Now arrow had a good first season where he actually killed people, still emo but not as sappy.
I haven’t bothered with marvels tv universe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

I watched Man of Steel a week ago for the first time. I found myself enjoying the film but that's mainly due to lowering my expectations a lot as well as awaiting nothing remotely in relation to the spirit of the Christopher Reeve films. The first hour was actually decent, but once we got to exploiting Krypton and the heavy sci-fi stuff along with the appearance of Zod pushed the film down to the ground. For his first day as the full superhero, I think Cavill both in and out of character as Superman did a magnificent job.

Contrary to the more common opinion, I loved Batman v Superman. And yes, you'll enjoy the extended cut more as it makes more sense in regards to the plot. People would also be against this idea and all, but I liked that Batman didn't hesitate to kill when he had to, especially when the story takes place after the death of Jason Todd (The famous Death of Robin storyline), I can imagine him going berserk. I personally find Affleck's iteration of Batman the best screen adaptation of the superhero (what I think of the actor, though, is an entirely different matter).

I was let down by Captain America: Civil War because the title was quite misleading and didn't live up to its comic book namesake in the slightest. We only had one scene where the two factions clash, but more like sparring rather than fighting. It's a film I wouldn't revisit at all. Same goes for Age of Ultron. Give me Justice League over those two any day of the week.

The one casting and characterization in the DCEU I find abysmally upsetting is Jared Leto as The Joker. There's nothing right about him, everything is completely wrong from head to toe. From appearance down to persona. Suicide Squad was okay, but nothing groundbreaking. The film adaptation of the eponymous comic in my opinion was unnecessary, it didn't have to come along at all.

The Arrowverse shows however got under my skin rather quickly. There are too many things that bother me in that universe and the political agenda enforced by its showrunners. And the lesser is said about Supergirl the better. The franchise has fully become a liberal propaganda and rubbing it in your face.

It's a good thing about Justice League that resorted more to the lighter tone and the characters started transitioning into their traditional selves from the source material. Cavill's last scene as Clark Kent rushing out of his double-breasted suit and trench-coat to his Superman guise gave me the chills, it felt like a throwback to Christopher Reeve, adding to that the film's composer, Danny Elfman, brought back to the classic themes to both Batman (from the 1989 film) and Superman (John Williams' work).

People overpraise Wonder Woman and Gal Gadot in general. I mean, I love both the film and Gal immensely. But, she's not some sort of a messiah to the DCEU film franchise. Not even close. She's as good as everybody else on the front row.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Oh forgot to add Amy Adams as Lois completely wrong.

I think they killed Superman off too early, that’s a great story arc that was rushed. Like the rushed the Bane Batman story and messed up Ras al Ghul.

Also Batman being the guy to get the league together is wrong to me, Superman or somebody else would be a better choice. I like the Batman stories where he didn’t like being a joiner, Batman beyond had a good story with the new Batman having to fight a controlled Superman and the new justice league.
Oddly the DC animated movies are great. WW animated a few years ago was a better story IMHO.
Gadot is an OK WW not great and not brilliant. In some ways the actress from the 70s tv show is a better WW.

I think cavill is a good Clark Kent and Superman, I hear he finally gets to play a proper superman in JL.

Affleck as Batman just doesn’t work for me at all. He does too many unbatman like things. I got no problem with a Batman ready to kill, I really would like then to do a series leading to Azbat and maybe a Batman beyond. I’d love Someone like Clint Eastwood to be a old Bruce Wayne having to break in a new Batman and take over Alfred’s role.

John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

True. Especially how she was reintroduced as an entirely different Lois Laine. But, I do like her somehow. She's got more chemistry with Cavill than Kate Bosworth did with Brandon Routh. Lois was completely miscast in Superman Returns, anyway.

I also agree about Superman's death coming off too soon. The fault of Batman v Superman doesn't come from its tone, but the story arcs they forced into one film to make it seem epic in order to try and catch up with Marvel. The Doomsday storyline was unwarranted, especially when the film was sub-titled "Dawn of Justice", you'd expect Batman and Superman putting their differences aside and be the founders of something greater good. And what you say about Batman being the outsider in the League is very true. Batman never really considered himself to be part of JL and he was quite vocal about it in the comics, as well as in the animated media.

But, what I found great about Batman and his formation of the Justice League as well as resurrecting Superman was because the world needed a face that sprung hope, adding to that - in his own words - "Clark is more human at heart" than he'll ever be, which is why he wanted Superman to be actually leading it.

The lesser is said about Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, the better, in my opinion. It tore down every great aspect of Batman and made him a struggling failure in the face of danger, forcing the heavyweight emotional dilemma and darkness with convoluted puzzle of storylines that hardly made sense. Batman Begins was great and perhaps the greatest Batman film ever made. But, when Nolan started trying to be clever after the success of the first Batman film he made, he went down the hill in my eyes, single-handedly ruining Batman's legacy by misinterpreting him. Something not different from what the Craig era did to the James Bond film franchise.

I'd love to see DCEU obtain influence and inspirations from DCAU (The Batman: The Animated Series universe). I'd love to see a film adaptation of Beyond in the future. If not Eastwood, why not bring in Peter Weller for old man Bruce Wayne? He already voiced the character in the animated film adaptation of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, and would be quite suited for the live action role, in my opinion.
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

There is a 1966 Filipino movie called James Batman, it's on Youtube actually. :lol:
James Batman is a 1966 Filipino Batman/James Bond cinematic spoof produced by Jose O. Vera and released by Sampaguita Pictures.
Wikipedia James Batman

[video][/video]
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Peter Weller great choice for old Bruce Wayne. BTW that dark knight series (DC animated) was pretty d**n good, ties into the conversation about artiest scared to death of Reagan trying to go counter culture and accidentally make something that was actually good. Just that scene with Reagan bossing Superman around telling him to break the Batman in like a pony in the corral was priceless. Authentic 80s fear mongering at its best. Guy who wrote it probably believed there was some kind of hidden truth about Reagan he was sharing.

I do think the Batman sentiment acknowledging Clark’s humanity is well placed and correct. Too bad the DCEU didn’t give us to see it on our own with a movie or two with Superman being Superman. BTW DC For the love of god tone down the Superman Jesus Christ comparisons. Maybe this was Snyder’s obsession.

Atticus
Lieutenant

Post by Atticus »

bjmdds wrote:Drakester, this is Ale's typical supporter and unfortunately they have become a cult as Kris said, not a protest movement. It truly has morphed into derangement. I dealt with 8 years of Clinton, 8 years of Bush, and 8 years of Oh-bama. Nobody ever acted out their obsessions like they do now. A warning, there are curse words in this brief video: [video][/video]
Laughable, in one sense, this video. But pitiful, even disturbing in another sense. Note her entitlement mentality when she says, “Somebody better fix this [expletive, meaning the election result].” Yeah, baby, forget free elections, let's just cater to your tantrums. This bizarre act is the result of the indoctrination from all those progressives running the academic world. Now we have young people turned into metrosexual delicate daffodils crying and needing to be consoled by kittens and coloring books in their protective safe spaces after losing the 2016 election. It's easy to imagine jihadists just laughing themselves into hysteria. If these cry babies are representative of what the snowflake generation has to offer, then our enemies won't need to use weapons of mass destruction to bring down the West. Nah, they just need to say “boo” to send these snowflakes scurrying to safe spaces. What's even more pitiful is this a nation that once produced brave young soldiers who fought in WWII, for example, and we're talking twenty-somethings even flying B-17 bombers through fields of flak and battling enemy fighters. Now we get tantrums on YouTube and bull crap coloring books and safe spaces.

To tie this in with the discussion about the next Bond movie, I don't see much hope right now. Craig's Bond is catered to appeal to these snowflakes. Just look at how he kept crying and screaming loud in Spectre. In Skyfall, or Brokeback Skyfall as one reviewer called it, the guy kept calling M like he had no independence. The guy has zero leadership skills, none of that commanding trait that Connery and the others had. The guy's a friggin' wimp. Then we saw that coming-out-of-the-closet scene like he's a repressed gay dude. And toss in those emotional scars from that BS angle about his dead parents and orphaned years. I don't know, maybe we'll see safe spaces in the MI6 HQ for these delicate flowers. Babs Broccoli, who's all caught up in this progressivism, isn't done with this characterization.
Atticus
Lieutenant

Post by Atticus »

Omega wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
John P. Drake wrote:That's unfortunate.
Not just hating Trump. She has gone into full Hillary cultist mode, posting endlessly about how if it wasn't for Russia, and Comey, and the Electoral College, and Bernie, and Susan Sarandon, and other parties, Hillary would have won. Not to mention patiently awaiting her second and glorious coming again, which Robert Mueller is going to deliver any day now, just you watch. Apparently, there is an audience for this stuff, as she seems to have a lot more followers on Twitter than she did when she was just an entertainment reporter, so it was probably a good career move for her.
I liked Ale a lot. But how she treated me and BJ still ticks me off. The BvS eating crow thing, which was a propaganda being pushed by WB halfway through BvS theatrical run. Now it’s out that final profit for BvS is maybe $100 million not sure if total run sales with Home video counted or if it is pure theatrical run with China’s 25% contribution correctly tabulated. But nobody today would try to spin BvS as a success. Hell if WB has listened seriously to the fan upset at the time it would have saved them 2 big flops. Although maybe they did listen and that why WW is so well thought of.

But about Ale I had truly thought the world of her. I’m fine with whatever her politics are. Although I don’t know many young women (millennial or younger )who are rabid Hillary supported they are more Bernie Sanders girls or more to the right than anything I’d be comfortable with. (Don’t want to say republican or Democrat not sure those to titles are really meaningful talking about the younger generation of voters)but if Ale is rabidly refighting the last election I wouldn’t have any cause for thinking of her differently because of it.

Thing is she is such a skilled communicator that I don’t know that she’s not hired to say the things she says or if she just so passionate about what she believes she has a scorched earth policy toward anything else.

I remember her. She always had insightful comments about the production of Spectre. She was also anti-Craig, which is surprising considering how the predominately leftist media is always fawning the guy.
Atticus
Lieutenant

Post by Atticus »

Omega wrote:
Atticus wrote:
dirtybenny wrote:Like Kris and John P. I'm skeptical of the story, however it does make a bit of sense when you consider that as far as I know EON hasn't officially announced Craig's return.
That's been my feeling too. You'd think that Broccoli and Eon, drowned in their over-hyped idolatry for Craig, would jam into everyone's faces a world-wide media event kind of thing to announce Craig's return. Instead, it's all been subtle, blurbs here and there from interviews. Then there's Craig's announcement on that late night show, which is kind of questionable in its own way. At that time, he was promoting the Logan Loser movie or whatever that work of garbage was called, but did he bring up his Bond return just to take advantage of the free PR and stir up attention for his new film? Then there's the loony tune Broccoli herself. Officially, until the Bond role is recast, Craig is the incumbent, so Broccoli sticks to her tagline of Daniel is my beloved Bond? I'm old enough to remember the timeline leading up to Dalton's exit. Cubby was basically insisting that Dalton was still Bond right up until the actor stated, during the filming of Scarlett, he was done with the role.
There was also that tabloid lawsuit where Dalton sued them for saying he was fired from bond after LTK, I dunno if Cubby push him to do it because he was is his own legal fights over bond or if dalton was so hopping mad he had to get justice from the court system.
I kind of think Cubby pushed him to do it cause it damaged the brand not to have a current bond. But we learned years later that LTK didn’t make a profit until 1997 after Brosnan had revitalized the series, and there were internal memos from partners saying they were not going to fund another Dalton movie and sought Brosnan for a replacement , this was again during the fallout over LTK do 1990-1.
Scarlett was what 1994? Brosnan was announced as bond June 1994, again I think Dalton may be doing cubby’s bidding at the timing of his announcement to start speculation about recasting, by 1992-3 his contract had expired and we know now the people funding the movie wanted a new bond. They say Cubby still wanted dalton back, maybe he did or maybe Dalton had to be seen as walking away because of that tabloid lawsuit.

BTW people alway talk about how classy Moore was, I believe Dalton was every bit the class act if not more so because of the trying situation he was placed in.

Oh when I looked up the year Brosnan was announce as bond found it on the official 007 Twitter this day in bond from 2015. first reply as someone saying Brosnan was a great bond who was treated so terribly by the producers. I’m sure eon didn’t expect that kind of reply to be first

Omega, your timeline is accurate. I remember seeing Dalton interviewed on an entertainment news show about a day after he announced he was done with Bond. Right around April 1994. In the book about the making of GoldenEye, it's stated that April 12, 1994 was when Dalton made his official announcement. It's also stated that secret meetings were held between Brosnan and Eon, primarily Cubby, Dana, MG Wilson, and Barbara in that spring time frame. Supposedly, all those polls about who would be the next Bond were inaccurate. Sounds like Brosnan was the only one truly in the Eon crosshairs. He got the official offer on June 1. Then, on June 8, he did the formal press conference in London. I agree that Dalton was also a class act.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Costco has a great deal in movie pass, $90 for a year of service

You can see one movie a day, and no repeats I think unless they’ve changed it.

They lowered prices to try to push the service teaming up data mining company trying to build new statistics on movie going habits.

There’s also a streaming service fandor that comes for free with this deal. I don’t know about them

I paid under $95 for a year pass and I’m not a Costco member, if you are a member it’s $89.99
IMO it’s a Great deal

https://m.costco.com/MoviePass-and-Fand ... reId=10301

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

TOMATOMETER: Star Wars:
94%
Average Rating: 8.3/10
Reviews Counted: 160
Fresh: 150
Rotten: 10-------- Star Wars: The Last Jedi, is poised to clear between $424 million-$440 million worldwide by the end of its first frame. In the U.S. and Canada, industry projections have had The Last Jedi around $200M---------I think it will top $200 easily.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

When you said that it would gross a billion domestically, I wondered if that was even possible. But then I looked at Box Office Mojo and saw that The Force Awakens almost managed it, so with ticket price inflation, I don't see why not. The only thing that might count against it is its 151-minute running time, meaning fewer showings per day.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Omega wrote:Oh forgot to add Amy Adams as Lois completely wrong.

I think they killed Superman off too early, that’s a great story arc that was rushed. Like the rushed the Bane Batman story and messed up Ras al Ghul.

Also Batman being the guy to get the league together is wrong to me, Superman or somebody else would be a better choice. I like the Batman stories where he didn’t like being a joiner, Batman beyond had a good story with the new Batman having to fight a controlled Superman and the new justice league.
Oddly the DC animated movies are great. WW animated a few years ago was a better story IMHO.
Gadot is an OK WW not great and not brilliant. In some ways the actress from the 70s tv show is a better WW.

I think cavill is a good Clark Kent and Superman, I hear he finally gets to play a proper superman in JL.

Affleck as Batman just doesn’t work for me at all. He does too many unbatman like things. I got no problem with a Batman ready to kill, I really would like then to do a series leading to Azbat and maybe a Batman beyond. I’d love Someone like Clint Eastwood to be a old Bruce Wayne having to break in a new Batman and take over Alfred’s role.

I've read somewhere Rosamund Pike was offered the role of Lois Lane. Would've loved to see how that would turn out.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I’m not sure about her as Lois either.
I’m sure there’s a good Lois Lane out there but it’s part of the prestige wannabe dc casting. Fishburn, adams, Affleck, will Smith, esienberg, Leto, Costner, crow, all actor we are supposed to admire more than characters they play, were supposed to be impressed WB got such a talented crew together. Unlike the no name hacks marvel hired.

WB dceu is the same train of thought poisoning bond.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Total Lifetime Gross Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Runtime: 2 hrs. 16 min
Domestic: $936,662,225 45.3%
+ Foreign: $1,131,561,399 54.7%
= Worldwide: $2,068,223,624-----The last Jedi is 15 minutes longer-----I don't think the extra 15 minutes will prevent the $1 billion mark, but we shall see. Carrie Fisher's death will add to the totals too.
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

And my mother in law is back in the hospital. Had a good thanksgiving, last night was good, early this morning was good, then she took her morning pills either forgot if she took them earlier and took too much or is having a very bad reaction. One of us was with her all day trying to get her though closely watching all her stats after 12 hours we finally decided she had to get more help than we could provide at home, she is bitterly angry at us right now for calling EMT. Hates being forced to go to the hospital.
It is one thing to know in our heads we are doing the right thing in our hearts it feels like we are at the bottom of the ocean.
It has been a trying few years always feels like something always hits us at the holidays.Good news if she responds well she could be home in 24 hours
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Good luck GE :!: It's hard raising parents. I did that for many years. Hang in there :!:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Allegations of sexual misconduct against television host Tavis Smiley surfaced Wednesday, and PBS since has “suspended distribution” of his self-titled talk show, Variety reported. His nightly program has aired on PBS since 2004. PBS does not produce, fund, or employ Smiley or his staff, but it does distribute the “Tavis Smiley” program, according to the outlet. :clap: :happy spin: :cheers: “Effective today, PBS has indefinitely suspended distribution of ‘Tavis Smiley,’ produced by TS Media, an independent production company,” an announcement from PBS said. The company made the decision after an investigation into Smiley’s behavior “uncovered multiple, credible allegations of conduct that is inconsistent with the values and standards of PBS,” the statement said. Smiley allegedly had sexual relationships with multiple staff members, some of which reportedly felt that their relationship with the TV host was connected to their employment status. Some said Smiley’s behavior generated a hostile work setting, Variety reported.---------I emailed this liberal SOB's show on PBS a few times with, of course, no response :!: He came across mocking Trump nightly and now is guilty of the very thing he attacked Trump on :!: :cuss: First the bum Charlie Rose, and now the 'marbles in his mouth' politically illiterate Smiley are both gone from PBS, which should be shut down and defunded at once :!: Stephanopoulos is next on ABC :!: Image
Last edited by bjmdds on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

bjmdds wrote:Total Lifetime Gross Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Runtime: 2 hrs. 16 min
Domestic: $936,662,225 45.3%
+ Foreign: $1,131,561,399 54.7%
= Worldwide: $2,068,223,624-----The last Jedi is 15 minutes longer-----I don't think the extra 15 minutes will prevent the $1 billion mark, but we shall see. Carrie Fisher's death will add to the totals too.
To compensate for run time more screens are added. Anyhow that was the case for Awakens.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
John P. Drake
Agent

Post by John P. Drake »

I've got a friend who has seen the film telling me it was total utter garbage. The new Star Wars film, that is.