The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

Deadline.com: Fantastic Beasts and the Crimes of Grindelwald came in much higher last night with $9.1M. Note that’s not an exact like-for-like with the $8.75M Thursday night previews of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them‘s from two years ago at this time. The figure includes Tuesday sneaks at 600 locations which minted around $1.8M we hear (hence last night was $7.3M). The David Yates-directed movie is off to a great start. Showtimes began at 5PM and played at roughly 3,300 locations. The J.K. Rowling-penned movie from Warner Bros. is expected to clear $70M in U.S./Canada and not be shackled by its lackluster 45% Rotten Tomatoes score.---------Depp however, is not being received that well, and rightly so, as this twitter posting illustrates: rachel leishman @RachelLeishman:
Here's my thing about Johnny Depp in #CrimesOfGrindelwald: He legitimately wasn't anything special so the fact that that's the hill they chose to die on is wild like I've seen better performances in high school productions of Les Misérables. All it shows is that Yates and Rowling would rather focus on their “vision” for Grindelwald, rather than listen to what fans of this series are saying to them. Depp, whether or not he did what he has been accused of, represents a dark part of this series that many relate to. Victims of abuse turned to Harry Potter because he grew up in an abusive household. Depp’s track record makes it so those fans feel like Rowling doesn’t care about their voice.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

President Donald Trump awarded the Medal of Freedom to seven people Friday, including the late rock 'n’ roll star "Elvis Presley." The nation's highest civilian honor, the Medal of Freedom is awarded to individuals who have made significant contributions to the United States' national interests and security, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Paramount Pictures is dancing with Chris Pratt to star in a relaunch of its action franchise The Saint. :shock: Sources cautioned this is early days, but that the hope is to build the film around the Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World franchise star. Lorenzo di Bonaventura is aboard to produce.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

If beasts two make the predictions it will be a major rush to see if. From what I can see out of major cities the play times are few and limited. Not like the other big movies this year with early showtimes and plenty of screens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

The "audience" score for FB:Grindelwald on RottenTomatoes comes in at a decent 71% vs. the 40% that the so-called critics had.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

ODDS SLASHED ON NEXT BOND update: apparently, this week it's Richard Madden again.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:The "audience" score for FB:Grindelwald on RottenTomatoes comes in at a decent 71% vs. the 40% that the so-called critics had.
still got a B cinema score.
Anecdotally people who I know that saw it enjoyed it but felt there were big parts of the story missing.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:
bjmdds wrote:The "audience" score for FB:Grindelwald on RottenTomatoes comes in at a decent 71% vs. the 40% that the so-called critics had.
still got a B cinema score.
B+, to be accurate. Cinemascore is harder to rig than Rotten Tomatoes, where people can organise campaigns to drive a film's rating up or down. I'm still planning to see it, but thanks to the reviews, I know to adjust my expectations. You won't find me complaining about dangling plot threads, because I know about them in advance.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

McQuarrie says that if he did make Bond 26, he’d want to add a bit of levity hinting that he’d welcome a return to the lighter tone of the Brosnan Bond era :!: :up: “I think Daniel Craig is a fantastic Bond,” explains McQuarrie, “but I’d love to see a Bond who enjoys being Bond, I miss that.” :clap: :up:

“My first Bond was Connery, he was the gold standard. :up: I’m actually a fan of Pierce Brosnan’s Bond. :up: He had these little moments, these little grace notes where he was really having fun with the character, that were quite surprising, I really enjoyed that. But I like them all.” One of the most unifying elements of the brilliant Mission: Impossible – Fallout amongst critics was how Bond-like it all felt..............this guy knows his Bond onions and actually gets it :!: :!: I want McQuarrie to direct Bond 26 with Aidan Turner in the lead and Broccoli, somehow, reduced in her role in the franchise. After 16 years of wasting precious time with this current nightmare since 2002, we finally have an action based director we would be pleased with :!: :!: :!: The bigger question that remains is why doesn't Broccoli realize this? :!:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

[video][/video] From "Q" to now a Mary Poppins remake. It will be interesting to see if this film succeeds and Dick Van Dyke is back as well 50 years later.
Last edited by bjmdds on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

According to a new leak reported by Express about Luke: 'Luke Skywalker in front of Rey on a jungle world. In the background are ancient stone steps that lead to some rooms which appear to be a Jedi Temple of some kind. Luke appears to be in his physical form as if he is not dead, but he may be a Force ghost and more solid this time. No blue hue is described in the sequence. Luke holds his iconic green lightsaber hilt in his hand but not ignited as Rey examines it. This could be one of Luke’s lessons to Rey, teaching her how to develop a lightsaber like his own. Luke’s face has no beard and shorter hair - shorter than his hair on Crait. He wears a brown robe with white sleeves.'
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:[video][/video] From "Q" to now a Mary Poppins remake. It will be interesting to see if this film succeeds and Dick Van Dyk is back as well 50 years later.
It's a sequel rather than a remake. I too wonder how successful it will be, but then I didn't think that there would be any appetite for live-action remakes of their animated classics, and I was spectacularly wrong about that.

John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

bjmdds wrote:McQuarrie says that if he did make Bond 26, he’d want to add a bit of levity hinting that he’d welcome a return to the lighter tone of the Brosnan Bond era :!: :up: “I think Daniel Craig is a fantastic Bond,” explains McQuarrie, “but I’d love to see a Bond who enjoys being Bond, I miss that.” :clap: :up:

“My first Bond was Connery, he was the gold standard. :up: I’m actually a fan of Pierce Brosnan’s Bond. :up: He had these little moments, these little grace notes where he was really having fun with the character, that were quite surprising, I really enjoyed that. But I like them all.” One of the most unifying elements of the brilliant Mission: Impossible – Fallout amongst critics was how Bond-like it all felt..............this guy knows his Bond onions and actually gets it :!: :!: I want McQuarrie to direct Bond 26 with Aidan Turner in the lead and Broccoli, somehow, reduced in her role in the franchise. After 16 years of wasting precious time with this current nightmare since 2002, we finally have an action based director we would be pleased with :!: :!: :!: The bigger question that remains is why doesn't Broccoli realize this? :!:
Fourteen years of that abomination is enough for me to want to bail out on the franchise. It's the same mourning, brooding and moaning schoolboy who's always miserable because his one week old girlfriend died over a decade ago. What they call "character development" is what I call "kitchen sink drama," and a very bad one at that.

I'm really hoping Broccoli (or as my friend calls her "McBitchilli") is left with no choice but hire McQuarrie for a multiple picture deal, enlisting Henry Cavill as James Bond in the vein of Connery, Moore and Brosnan. Time to make Bond great again.
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

John P. Drake wrote: It's the same mourning, brooding and moaning schoolboy who's always miserable because his one week old girlfriend died over a decade ago. What they call "character development" is what I call "kitchen sink drama," and a very bad one at that.

I'd never heard the term "kitchen sink drama" but after looking it up, fit's Craig's interpretation to a T.

From Wikipedia: Kitchen sink realism (or kitchen sink drama) is a British cultural movement that developed in the late 1950s and early 1960s in theatre, art, novels, film, and television plays, whose protagonists usually could be described as "angry young men" who were disillusioned with modern society. It used a style of social realism, which depicted the domestic situations of working class Britons, living in cramped rented accommodation and spending their off-hours drinking in grimy pubs, to explore controversial social and political issues...
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Robert De Niro and his wife, Grace Hightower, split after 2 decades :!: His own wife cannot stand this low-life loudmouthed moron :!:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

Birthday alert! Mads Mikkelsen [s]Hannibal[/s] Le Chiffre’s birthday is tomorrow! :martini:
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Big new opinion poll about Bond published by the Hollywood Reporter. There's a summary in this article, which links to the full report: https://io9.gizmodo.com/people-have-no- ... 1830590090

Too much information to summarise here, though I was pleasantly surprised to see that Pierce is viewed more favourably than the killer with the crag-like face by a margin of 10 percentage points (81% and 71% respectively).

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Big new opinion poll about Bond published by the Hollywood Reporter. There's a summary in this article, which links to the full report: https://io9.gizmodo.com/people-have-no- ... 1830590090

Too much information to summarise here, though I was pleasantly surprised to see that Pierce is viewed more favourably than the killer with the crag-like face by a margin of 10 percentage points (81% and 71% respectively).

I’d love to see the bond movie name recognition results. Only 18% remember skyfall is a bond movie,, but, but, that was the revival of bondmania ;)

I’m not surprised Brosnan is rising in retrospect. He had a overall well balanced bond combining better elements of all four. There was a interview before goldeneye (I think) where MGW said some people were upset with them for going back to the Connery mold casting brosnan, I can’t think of anybody who say that besides his sister

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

bjmdds wrote:Image

Is it that time of the year again! :cheers: