The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote:no doubt she’ll be the better 007 of the two.
Again, this is just an educated guess based on the modern Bond era (which I define as being from Goldeneye onwards, though it's a tad scary to think that Goldeneye will be 25 years old next year), but I think there will be some initial needling of Bond based on his being "pale, male and stale", but that he will emerge top dog in the end. It's his film, after all, and whilst EON can't simply ignore changes in attitude among audiences, they can't afford to completely trash their own brand.
They are playing this up big here, pop radio stations are teasing this, then adding Craig is still bond. Well nobody gave a crap about Craig supposedly being bond ten years ago it not going to allay anyone’s fears, yep same crap actor doing the same crap performance as “bond”
Hell eon could end with lynch as 007, Craig giving her a heard handshake saying he knows the empire is in good hands.

All that is happening is eon had leaked and leaked nothing got any clicks because nobody cared, but give false hope these a new 007 and now there’s genuine interest. That’ll be disappointed no matter what happens. Even if lynch stays 007 until closing credits she cannot be 007 on the schedule it should be made, a once every 5-6 years she might could work around marvels needs. Truth is she’ll probably be fridged in the opening credits or midway in the movie.
If eon takes the bold step of keeping Craig retired and out side HMSS then they kill their series. Babs has been killing the series’s since 2004 when she got control because she didn’t want to make James Bond movies and truthfully she hasn’t .

Only thing fans can do to stop this s**t show is not pay to see it, that will 86 Craig and this bs babsverse bond.

Still lynch will be a better 007 than Craig no matter what happens, even if her character is a screw up she’ll be less of a screw up than Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:It does not have to be another James Bond. Just calling her 007 is blasphemous enough and if Fleming was alive he would sue Broccoli over what she is doing :!:
I don't think Fleming would give a toss as long as he got paid on time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
bjmdds wrote:It does not have to be another James Bond. Just calling her 007 is blasphemous enough and if Fleming was alive he would sue Broccoli over what she is doing :!:
I don't think Fleming would give a toss as long as he got paid on time.

part of me thinks as long as he got paid he’d be happy. Another part thinks the author who raised objections to how uncouth Connery is would be upset Babs hires a stuntman then makes a soap opera out of his alter ego 007.
I don’t know he’d be JK Rowling hyper concerned about every detail, but this is the guy who spent years crafting with cubby and young who this character is for the movies and it worked. Then again we’re worried about a guy who’d be over 100 years old and thought steam engines keen. ;)

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Fleming was hard to pin down. Like most of us, he was a mess of internal contradictions. But I see nothing in his life or work that suggests he regarded the number 007 as particularly sacrosanct. If he was going to sue, he'd have to sue his own estate, as at least one of the continuation novels (the one by Anthony Horowitz) apparently mentions another agent being 007 before Bond.

dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

I can't remember which novel it was but Fleming explains the number system a little. The double 0 prefix is attached to whatever your number is before promotion. Bond was simply agent 7 when he was performing standard intelligence duties, there's no mention of how many agents there was or how high the numbers go, but there could have been a 0014 or 00264. So there wasn't nine super spies getting rotated through the digits as each is retired or killed.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I think he was 7777 the first time his license to kill was revoked, in the novel of YOLT. But certainly in the films, we know that numbers are reassigned - how many 009s have there been?

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I think YOLT has the 00 explanation and number meaning. Like 7777 , maybe I’m thinking of CR

dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:I think he was 7777 the first time his license to kill was revoked, in the novel of YOLT. But certainly in the films, we know that numbers are reassigned - how many 009s have there been?

Your absolutely right Kris, the films are a different animal, but since we were on the subject of Fleming and what his opinion on the number system might be, I thought...
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:
Kristatos wrote:I think he was 7777 the first time his license to kill was revoked, in the novel of YOLT. But certainly in the films, we know that numbers are reassigned - how many 009s have there been?

Your absolutely right Kris, the films are a different animal, but since we were on the subject of Fleming and what his opinion on the number system might be, I thought...
The Bond Files by Andy Lane and Paul Simpson has an appendix on this. Sadly, very few of the examples are from Fleming. There's a 002 in TMWTGG, and we are told in Moonraker that there are just two 00 agents besides Bond. So it's hard to discern "word of God" on this.

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

00 Agents from Ian Fleming's Bond stories:
00-agent/ Name/ Description
002 Unnamed 002, KIA on Gibraltar Rock The Living Daylights.
004 Unnamed 004, KIA on Gibraltar Rock The Living Daylights.
006 Andy Renton 006, a Royal Marine commando, is mentioned in the novel On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
007 James Bond James Bond is the only agent 007. In the novel You Only Live Twice, Bond was transferred into another branch and given the number 7777, suggesting there was no active agent 007 in that time; he is later reinstated as 007 in the novel The Man with the Golden Gun.
008 Bill In the novel Moonraker, 008 (called "Bill" by Bond) is mentioned as being on recuperative leave after returning from a mission behind the Iron Curtain.
In the novel Goldfinger, Bond thinks to himself that 008 would likely avenge Bond by killing Goldfinger. As Bond thinks this, he ruminates that 008 is "a good man, more careful than Bond."

009 Unnamed Referred to in the novel Thunderball, Referred to in the movie Octopussy, Referred to in the movie Spectre.
0011 Cederic Mentioned in the novel Moonraker as vanishing while on assignment in Singapore.
Nirego
New Recruit

Post by Nirego »

So, has anybody here considered the possibility the Barbara Broccoli might have decided to kill off James Bond at the end, I mean I know everyone here thinks that would be a terrible idea, but remember she has made it clear Craig is the only Bond to her and if he's not returning then the character of Bond should go with him, right? And the series should continue as the adventures of whatever agent holds the title of 007, but only if he dies is the series is locked in and had no choice but to go in that direction with the new agent we all got to meet and get used to in this upcoming film.

Would you all really put it past Barbara to do this?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Rumour has it that Danny Boyle wanted to do this, but Babbzy wouldn't let him. I don't think she (or rather, her investors) would do it for commercial reasons. Films about another agent labelled 007 are unlikely to be as successful as Bond films. The most I could see is some sort of spin-off series to fill in the gaps between Bond films, like Disney releasing the Star Wars stories in between episodes. But the fact that series was discontinued after Solo flopped might act as a deterrent.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Boyle seemed to deny that the reason he left was he wanted to kill Bond.

Now there were rumors very early on that Craig was the one who wanted to off bond. Might even be before Boyle was on board.
I can see Craig wanting to do this, I think Jackman’s Wolverine series has a influence on Craig.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:Boyle seemed to deny that the reason he left was he wanted to kill Bond.

Now there were rumors very early on that Craig was the one who wanted to off bond. Might even be before Boyle was on board.
I can see Craig wanting to do this, I think Jackman’s Wolverine series has a influence on Craig.
If they do kill off Craig's Bond, it'd be to pave the way for another reboot. I still don't think they'd have someone else take over as 007, for the reasons given in my previous post.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote:Boyle seemed to deny that the reason he left was he wanted to kill Bond.

If they do kill off Craig's Bond, it'd be to pave the way for another reboot. I still don't think they'd have someone else take over as 007, for the reasons given in my previous post.

no I don’t doubt your reasoning. I still think there are factions in eon, babs Craig , then mgw’s sons. I think his sons want to reboot it back to the original version or their interpretation possibly letting Nolan has a trilogy to set it up ( I assume it’s them leaking how hard Craig is to work with). Babs has no idea what to do and is stuck mentally in the 2004-05-06 fight she had to get Craig and reboot. So she not moving her position

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I've just seen a story that Bond 25 is shooting in Aviemore, Scotland. I went there on holiday many years ago, so that'll be interesting to see, if I ever get around to watching the film.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Nirego wrote:So, has anybody here considered the possibility the Barbara Broccoli might have decided to kill off James Bond at the end, I mean I know everyone here thinks that would be a terrible idea, but remember she has made it clear Craig is the only Bond to her and if he's not returning then the character of Bond should go with him, right? And the series should continue as the adventures of whatever agent holds the title of 007, but only if he dies is the series is locked in and had no choice but to go in that direction with the new agent we all got to meet and get used to in this upcoming film.

Would you all really put it past Barbara to do this?
Nirego, it's been 5 years :!: Where have you been hiding? Has Broccoli kept you captive?
Nirego
New Recruit

Post by Nirego »

Honestly, between a crap load of life stuff, it was hard to keep interested in Bond films, I actually like stuff some stuff in Skyfall but then holy crap did Spectre piss any goodwill I had away. So it was easier to not really care, at least until Craig's time was near the end and I could begin to hope thing might get corrected.
And now this possibility is giving me the same ugly pit in my stomach I got when i first heard about Craig getting cast. Everyone is poo-pooing the idea they might kill off Bond in favor of a more 'diverse' 007 series, and I sure hope that's the case, but the way this film seems to be getting set up makes me think it isn't an impossibility. Until something gets confirmed one way or the other I'm gonna remain suspicious.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Nirego, we need more and more recruits here to do internet battles with EON :!: Its been 14 years of Cr-egg and Broccoli now and 17 years since the last real Bond actor was in the role :!: Stop by more often with your thoughtful insight and someday we might all rejoice when Broccoli vacates her role and slinks off into oblivion with her Cr-egg fantasies confined to her own subconscious :!: Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Nirego, we need more and more recruits here to do internet battles with EON :!:
Here's the paradox. Given the expectation that this will be Craig's last sort-of-Bond film, the only way we'll get any new recruits now is if he changes his mind and decides to stay on. And surely none of us wants that.