The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

Veronica wrote:I actually feel like Aaron Taylor Johnson could be... fine with the right look and style. Not my top pick by any stretch of imagination but not the worst either.
Welcome back, Veronica. That's pretty much my opinion too. There's at least one photo of him that makes me think he could pull it off. I prefer him to some of the other names that have been put forward, like James Norton or Tom Hardy.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:52 am
Veronica wrote:I actually feel like Aaron Taylor Johnson could be... fine with the right look and style. Not my top pick by any stretch of imagination but not the worst either.
Welcome back, Veronica. That's pretty much my opinion too. There's at least one photo of him that makes me think he could pull it off. I prefer him to some of the other names that have been put forward, like James Norton or Tom Hardy.

Thanks Kris! Yeah, Tom Hardy has always firmly been in a "no" category for me as well despite seemingly being a super popular choice.

And while I did like James Norton in the stuff I've seen him in so far (notably The Trial of Christine Keeler) I'm not sure he'd make a good Bond.

Theo James could potentially be a good choice IMO. Hiddleston was being hyped up around the time The Night Manager came out and I've heard there's going to be a second season (not sure if that's really needed though).
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Veronica wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:10 pm And while I did like James Norton in the stuff I've seen him in so far (notably The Trial of Christine Keeler) I'm not sure he'd make a good Bond.
I feel the same way about Craig. I've nothing against him in other roles (he was terrific in Knives Out), I just don't see him as Bond.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:27 pm
Veronica wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:10 pm And while I did like James Norton in the stuff I've seen him in so far (notably The Trial of Christine Keeler) I'm not sure he'd make a good Bond.
I feel the same way about Craig. I've nothing against him in other roles (he was terrific in Knives Out), I just don't see him as Bond.
I loved Knives Out even though I felt his accent was too over the top (although that was probably the intention anyhow). He seemed much more... engaged than in any of his Bond movies.

He was also quite good in Layer Cake.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

It was definitely intentional, Benoit Blanc is quite a flamboyant character, and his exaggerated accent reflects that.

Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Layer cake wasn’t all that good imho. It was a wanna be Guy Ritchie film, Matthew Vaughn grew a lot as a director, where as craig was miserably miscast as a leading man for decades. I’m thinking after cr and of all the potential franchises he was signed for, wasn’t right for and ruined.
Biggest difference between Craig and the other bonds is as people Connery, Moore, brosnan lazenby. Dalton didn’t need to have people acknowledge them as a big deal, where as Craig crave the attention and the Acclaim and his movies reflect that not just bond.

Well lazenby kind of did need attention and behaved like an ass off screen , but it wasn’t on screen. He was more likable dubbed in than he was talking for himself.

Craig approached on the franchise was it was making movies wrong and they couldn’t do that anymore. His movie had to make him the important factor, McGuffin, whatever.

And what was wrong with the bond movies? how many young artists, writers, filmmakers , directors , producers were inspired by those movies and the magical experience going to these movies.?

I don’t think in craig era they ever created a authentic iconic scene that wasn’t aping a earlier bond movie or another franchise.

The frustrating thing is in the last 15 years there were new directors and writers capable of creating or continuing the bond legacy , they were never considered but given a chance with other series. Where Babs kept bad mouthing Purvis and Wade , then rehiring them after her darling flash in the pan critics choice writers couldn’t pen one first act of a decent bond script.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Hey everyone, I know there is a dedicated tread for travel, but seeing as this is where everyone is congregating these days and time is somewhat of the essence I thought I'd post here.

I'm traveling to London for the first time this week and am looking for some tips from the many locals I know who frequent this board. Obviously I'll be hitting the major attractions Big Ben, Tower of London etc. but I'd also like to get some local flair and avoid scams or bad areas. I'll be staying in the Blackfriars neighborhood if that helps any.

Thanks in advance!
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I'm from Bristol, which is 120 miles from London, so I probably won't be as much help as an actual Londoner. I don't know of any particular areas to avoid, though as with any large city, it's always a good idea to keep your wits about you. What attractions to visit largely depends on your interests. Some Bond locations you might like to visit (from the outside, obviously) are the MI6 building in Vauxhall Cross, the College of Arms at 130 Queen Victoria Street (as featured in OHMSS), 30 Wellington Square (given as Bond's home address in John Pearson's authorised biography) and apparently there's a Bond Room at Planet Hollywood in the Haymarket.
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Thanks Kris! Very helpful, I'll add these to the list. I do also plan on visiting St. James Street where Duke's Bar and the St. James Club are located, two of Fleming's supposed haunts.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Oh, I just remembered, the area around King's Cross station is a notorious crime hotspot, so bear that in mind if you go there on a Harry Potter pilgrimage (they actually have a luggage trolley embedded into one of the arches there, so that you can take a photo of yourself and it looks like you're pushing it through to get to Platform 9¾).
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Thanks again Kris, I'll keep that in mind! Just got settled in to the hotel, tomorrow the exploration begins!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Review of a new documentary film about real people named James Bond, including the ornithologist from whom Ian Fleming took the character's name: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/m ... rd-moments

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Almost 1 year ago Broccoli said this: Broccoli told Deadline in June 2022 that filming on the next Bond movie "is at least two years away," suggesting it could be targeting a 2025 or 2026 release. "It's a reinvention of Bond," she noted. "We're reinventing who he is and that takes time." -------2026 is looking like a wishful year now for a release the way she is dragging her feet, which now appear to be locked into the cement of inaction.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:17 am Oh, I just remembered, the area around King's Cross station is a notorious crime hotspot, so bear that in mind if you go there on a Harry Potter pilgrimage (they actually have a luggage trolley embedded into one of the arches there, so that you can take a photo of yourself and it looks like you're pushing it through to get to Platform 9¾).
Maybe Broccoli should book a ride at platform 9 3/4 as well to relive her fantasies of Cr-egg over and over. She has become the VOLDEMORT of the franchise.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Broccoli, are you reading us here? Do you want to see what we want in a Bond film? Watch this!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Broccoli, are you reading us here? Do you want to see what we want in a Bond film? Watch this!
I saw this trailer and the one for Fast X when I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3, and remember thinking "nature abhors a vacuum".

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Lovely jubbly, you know it makes sense. Image

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

90GBP for a copy of the sock-rabbit that was down the pants of the Craig-Bond when he was blown to blazes? I'm sure David Zaritski already has one on order for his murder basement!
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

For those who care I posted a summation of my trip to London on the travel thread.