The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

David Cassidy Reveals Dementia Diagnosis, Says He Was 'In Denial' Yet 'Always Knew This Was Coming' :cry: [video][/video] [video][/video]
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

bjmdds wrote:David Cassidy Reveals Dementia Diagnosis, Says He Was 'In Denial' Yet 'Always Knew This Was Coming' :cry: [video][/video] [video][/video]
Sad. David Cassidy is so young.
Terry Jones of Monty Python fame revealed last year he has a crippling dementia which affects his speech. Saddened me tremendously because he had such a wit, a icon I looked up to. Also greatly enjoyed his history programs.

Tremendous loss of two very talented people. Their bravery in facing such terrifying sicknesses is astounding.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Veronica wrote:
Blowfeld wrote:
Veronica wrote:Naomi Harris interview

Here's another one that cried during CR. Wow,what a load of bulls**t in this interview.
My problem with Ms Naomi goes back to her wingeing about Pierce and Salma Hayek not rushing to Naomi's hospital bed to wish her well after being involved in a serious accident, long long after she had finished filming with them. She had some sick expectation of being "besties" with Pierce and Salma.
My other issue is her Moneypenny cash in with a all paid vacation for her family at some resort which published the advertising before she was officially revealed as the new the Moneypenny. I can't think of an interview she has given where she does not come off self-aggrandising or sycophantically kissing the collective butt of her betters.
She's a yes woman who has not an inkling who Moneypenny is supposed to be, not a clue who James Bond is supposed to be either. I get the feeling she is desperate to stay relevant to the production of Bond, I believe she knows when Daniel departs her days are done.
Didn't know about this story with Brosnan and Salma. Why would one expect a one-time co-stars to instantly rush over to your side with flowers and candy? I also think she knows that Craig's time in the role is crucial for her. Everything she says in interviews seems to be the exact kind of thing Barbara would want to hear.
"Craig is the best,he brought something no other actor did." True,in a way. If you are thinking about Craig's charmless,thuggish presentation of the character.
Yes. The original story of the car crash was from when Salma and Pierce's stars were still on the assent. It bothered me because Naomi smeared the names of two good people to garner sympathy for herself. Bothers me the same as when Dougray Bloody Scott came forward to complain Pierce 'coming back' for Die Another Day back stole the Bond role from Dougray. Rubbish. Even if Dougray was signed as a backup actor in-case-of-emergency.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Spectre review

Gotta love the article where it says QOS seems like a film that was trying to be interesting...
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

bjmdds wrote:David Cassidy Reveals Dementia Diagnosis, Says He Was 'In Denial' Yet 'Always Knew This Was Coming' :cry: [video][/video] [video][/video]
Sad...My dad worries about dementia because he got several concussions while playing football in high school.He's been lucky so far, 76 years old and pretty darned healthy!
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Let him get a routine non-contrast head MRI to be sure MP. It only takes 20 minutes.
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Veronica wrote:Spectre review

Gotta love the article where it says QOS seems like a film that was trying to be interesting...

Another article written by an anti-Bond "Bond fan".

The author starts off proclaiming their love for Connery as so many fake fans do, then inadvertently tips his hand by describing Bond films as; "...silly, sexist, pointless and mindless action flicks..." Which in a sense is the definition of a Bond film really, more to the point though, if you think Bond is "sexist" and that particular brand of "sexism" is distasteful to you, then Connery easily the most "sexist" of all the Bonds, should be absolutely unpalatable to you. But I've come to expect this sort of nonsense from "film" bloggers.

More importantly the author states a few things about Craig's Bond:

1. "...there’s no doubt that, during Craig’s tenure, everything around 007 has been significantly upgraded."

2. His films are"...smart, stylish action movies with believable characters and compelling relationships, and a real sense that something is at stake, that James Bond lives in a world worth saving."

3. "He’s had a great run..."

Also this statement: "I didn’t like “Quantum of Solace...”

Now let's do the math here. Craig has done 4 films to date, according to this reviewer one was absolute trash (SP) another was crap but at least they tried (QOS) and only two were "smart, stylish action movies" (CR,SF). I don't know if I'd call 2 out of 4 "a great run" or "significantly upgraded" but hey that's just me.

And By the By what the hell does he mean by "(Craig's) Bond lives in a world worth saving"? Everyone in the previous films should just sod off and die? We should have been rooting for Goldfinger and Hugo Drax all along?
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Mission: Impossible 6 will feature a few familiar faces and a different look at Tom Cruise's Ethan Hunt, according to the film's writer and director, Christopher McQuarrie. "It's a very different Ethan Hunt, I can promise you that," McQuarrie told Empire, also noting that filming will begin in Paris on April 10. The director went on to tease that a few returning characters from prior films in the franchise will return, "including people you would not expect to be back." We already know Rebecca Ferguson will return for Mission: Impossible 6, reprising her role as Ilsa from the fifth film, Rogue Nation. McQuarrie also discussed the film's opening moments, saying, "it starts in a very unconventional way." In fact, he went so far as to confirm it won't be a big action scene, noting that this "was the hardest pitch of this movie." Mission: Impossible 6 will dive deeper into the character :hair: :shock: of Ethan Hunt, something McQuarrie said wasn't really explored in the first five films. Acknowledging Mission: Impossible III, McQuarrie noted, "One movie sort of dealt with his personal life; the other movies are about people speculating what’s really going on in Ethan's head. :down: I want to know who Ethan is in this movie, I want an emotional journey for this character, and Tom really embraced it."
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

dirtybenny wrote:
Veronica wrote:Spectre review

Another article written by an anti-Bond "Bond fan".

The author starts off proclaiming their love for Connery as so many fake fans do, then inadvertently tips his hand by describing Bond films as; "...silly, sexist, pointless and mindless action flicks..." Which in a sense is the definition of a Bond film really, more to the point though, if you think Bond is "sexist" and that particular brand of "sexism" is distasteful to you, then Connery easily the most "sexist" of all the Bonds, should be absolutely unpalatable to you. But I've come to expect this sort of nonsense from "film" bloggers.

More importantly the author states a few things about Craig's Bond:

1. "...there’s no doubt that, during Craig’s tenure, everything around 007 has been significantly upgraded."

2. His films are"...smart, stylish action movies with believable characters and compelling relationships, and a real sense that something is at stake, that James Bond lives in a world worth saving."

3. "He’s had a great run..."

Also this statement: "I didn’t like “Quantum of Solace...”

Now let's do the math here. Craig has done 4 films to date, according to this reviewer one was absolute trash (SP) another was crap but at least they tried (QOS) and only two were "smart, stylish action movies" (CR,SF). I don't know if I'd call 2 out of 4 "a great run" or "significantly upgraded" but hey that's just me.

And By the By what the hell does he mean by "(Craig's) Bond lives in a world worth saving"? Everyone in the previous films should just sod off and die? We should have been rooting for Goldfinger and Hugo Drax all along?

This anti-Bond "Bond" fan,as you put it Benny,said Connery is the best out of pure obligation. I mean,even this "fan" knows if he said Connery wasn't good everyone would be asking themselves what the hell did they just read.
This blogger says how all the other non-Craig Bond movies are mindless pointless action flicks. Sounds just like QOS and SP to me.

SPECTRE is an especially pointless movie. By the time Waltz's exposition comes you would have to be brain dead not to know what he's going to say next.
We all knew where the film was heading right from the start. Not to mention we all knew it months before because of the Sony leaks.
But the notion that all the previous Bond films are embarassing gets the cake as the most stupid thing said in this blog.

You know what is embarassing Mr.Blogger? Blofeld going from a charming super-villian to being a pathetic man child with way too much time on his hands. Asking us to accept Blofeld is now Bond's brother who is "the author of all Craig's pain". Now,THAT is embarassing. It's also embarassing how far the producers have come from knowing what made Bond so great in the first place.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Veronica wrote:You know what is embarassing Mr.Blogger? Blofeld going from a charming super-villian to being a pathetic man child with way too much time on his hands. Asking us to accept Blofeld is now Bond's brother who is "the author of all Craig's pain". Now,THAT is embarassing. It's also embarassing how far the producers have come from knowing what made Bond so great in the first place.
No matter how some fans will try to excuse this by saying it was just hinted at and only a small part of the film, the Blofeld plot twist is the most embarrassing low point of the series, in my opinion. A film that took three years to make, has four writers and an absurd budget, there is no way this kind of crap can be excused. But worst of all, they copied Austin Powers after they made such a fuss about how those films tarnished the Bond series.

If this was done in a Moore Bond film, there would be fans raging about it until the end of time. But with Craig, from what I've mostly been seeing, pretty much just gets a slap on the wrist.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

The Saint 007 wrote:
Veronica wrote:You know what is embarassing Mr.Blogger? Blofeld going from a charming super-villian to being a pathetic man child with way too much time on his hands. Asking us to accept Blofeld is now Bond's brother who is "the author of all Craig's pain". Now,THAT is embarassing. It's also embarassing how far the producers have come from knowing what made Bond so great in the first place.
No matter how some fans will try to excuse this by saying it was just hinted at and only a small part of the film, the Blofeld plot twist is the most embarrassing low point of the series, in my opinion. A film that took three years to make, has four writers and an absurd budget, there is no way this kind of crap can be excused. But worst of all, they copied Austin Powers after they made such a fuss about how those films tarnished the Bond series.

If this was done in a Moore Bond film, there would be fans raging about it until the end of time. But with Craig, from what I've mostly been seeing, pretty much just gets a slap on the wrist.
true. So many things in the Craig series get a pass. I wonder if it's that the "fans" write it off because Craig is not really playing Bond in their minds. Personally I think there is a click in the Craig fan base who are EON supporters no matter what, that seems to make more sense than the new movies are so much better than any of the previous 20 that they forgive blatant ripoff from better series, including Austin powers. I cant imagine how any one forgives the Brofeld author of all your pain story, when they condemn Roger Moore as too camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

The Saint 007 wrote:

Blowfeld plot twist(even though it's so weak and means absolutely nothing to no one and is treated with either shrug(in the movie),eyeroll or epic facepalm it couldn't possibly even be called a twist) is not just an embarrassing low for this franchise but for a film-making as a whole.

All those bland action scenes and bland conversations between M and Moriarty are just killing time until Waltz explains he created the most powerful criminal organisation on the planet because he was suffering from sibling jelaousy.
:picard:
I am hoping in time that the faults of the Craig era will be recognized more for what they are. Actual faults that pre-Craig movies didn't make. It would also be nice if those Craig fans that need to bash other Bond actors and their fans stopped. People really shouldn't be called stupid for liking Moore and Brosnan.
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Some very good points by all. To elaborate on what Omega said, I see a few different cliques within "Craig fandom". There are those who lap up anything "Bond" no matter how crap it may be just because they've claimed the label of "Bond Fan" and therefore must like each and every morsel tossed their way by EON, there is also the fan who didn't like Bond until Craig (I imagine the author of that article falls into this category despite their obligatory words about Connery) who talk about the Craig era as the greatest thing to happen to Bond, despite the fact that even they admit 2 of the 4 films are trash, and the incidental "Bond fan" who hasn't seen all the films and doesn't really care to, they're just passive participants not caught up in the details, they just go to the cinema to spend a lazy afternoon and to them a film, is a film, is a film.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Veronica wrote:
Blowfeld plot twist(even though it's so weak and means absolutely nothing to no one and is treated with either shrug(in the movie),eyeroll or epic facepalm it couldn't possibly even be called a twist) is not just an embarrassing low for this franchise but for a film-making as a whole.

All those bland action scenes and bland conversations between M and Moriarty are just killing time until Waltz explains he created the most powerful criminal organisation on the planet because he was suffering from sibling jelaousy.
:picard:
I am hoping in time that the faults of the Craig era will be recognized more for what they are. Actual faults that pre-Craig movies didn't make. It would also be nice if those Craig fans that need to bash other Bond actors and their fans stopped. People really shouldn't be called stupid for liking Moore and Brosnan.
I think as soon as Craig is no longer bond at least half the fan base will crucify him. If Craig bad mouths bond or causes a fuss like brosnan did then no holds barred the full strength of Bond fandom will go after him like they did brosnan.

All the stupid crap they put in these scripts since CR has to some back to bite them some time. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Omega wrote: I am hoping in time that the faults of the Craig era will be recognized more for what they are. Actual faults that pre-Craig movies didn't make. It would also be nice if those Craig fans that need to bash other Bond actors and their fans stopped. People really shouldn't be called stupid for liking Moore and Brosnan.
I think as soon as Craig is no longer bond at least half the fan base will crucify him. If Craig bad mouths bond or causes a fuss like brosnan did then no holds barred the full strength of Bond fandom will go after him like they did brosnan. [/quote]

Imagine if the fanbase crucify Craig and praise the Bond actor who looks far less Bondian than Craig himself is.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Omega wrote: I think as soon as Craig is no longer bond at least half the fan base will crucify him. If Craig bad mouths bond or causes a fuss like brosnan did then no holds barred the full strength of Bond fandom will go after him like they did brosnan.

All the stupid crap they put in these scripts since CR has to some back to bite them some time. Right?
Although the Bond cycle will bring some backlash towards the Craig era once he's retired, I'm not sure if it will be to the extent that we hope for because Craig may benefit from portraying Bond in a more "serious" fashion. All too often I've seen people excusing poorly written crap of the Craig era as being more believable and less silly compared to various moments in the Moore era because the films have a serious tone. Craig is praised for being closer to Fleming's Bond, whereas Moore is constantly criticized for being too light-hearted, and therefore having little respect for the Bond character.

You can argue that, for example, certain audio gags in the Moore era were out of place. But I don't think they were as offensive as some of the things done in the Craig era, and it can be easily edited out. In fact, there are fan edits of Moore's Bond films that do this.

I hope that I'm wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Craig era gets away with little punishment due to presenting itself as more serious and arty.
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

The Saint 007 wrote:Craig era more arty-farty.
[video][/video]
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

"Batman v Superman" won "four" Razzies: "Worst screen combo" for Ben Affleck & Henry Cavill; Jesse Eiesenberg was crowned the "Worst Supporting Actor" of the year for his portrayal of Lex Luthor; "Worst Screenplay"; and the worst "remake, rip-off or sequel." :clap: :clap: I predicted this once it was announced to be made, even before production commenced, and our former poster ALE contradicted me declaring it would be a hit :!: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: Cavill's career by the way is tanking fast. His Superman portrayal is stale and his other films have lost money with minimal box office support. I no longer want nor expect him to be the 7th 007. Aidan Turner is the man :!:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

[video][/video] This will be the next hit. FBF, 5 times for you?
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Dirty Benny has a thoughtful piece for the front page in his thread. In my opinion it is very on target, anyone interested should take a peek.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3675&p=99381#p99378/