The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Sandeep Jacobin
New Recruit
Favorite Bond Movie: Skyfall
Favorite Movies: An Inconvenient Truth, 1917

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Sandeep Jacobin »

bjmdds wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:24 am S J, you want all references to Fleming's creation done away with? He wrote the books and it is HIS franchise. You sound like a cancel culture lunatic now......or......Nash reincarnated here to confound and be mischievous. Image
Hi bjmdds. Sorry I did not reply sooner. I had trouble access for a while this forum. Looks like it work now. Yes I will like to see the Fleming reference removed. It is not just me, my colleagues like that style also. Call it anything, cancel or whatever, but it is not right for reference to him. There is one book where he refer to Korean people as lower than apes. I saw it, I was shock that kind of writing is in place. Then I look at other books, and critics also comment on this that original books have imperialistic attitude, like he is superior, so even CIA look stupid in those books like they cannot work without him, so he is the leader. It is more than not being politcally correct. It is racist, bigoted, imperialistic attitude. So it will not surpirse me if Bond film company will make changes. Consider this way, the world likes so much Daniel Craig. He is Bond for audiences. Craig define Bond and that is the Bond people understand. So I do not mind if Bond film company instead put in the titles “Daniel Craig's James Bond 007 in <and then display the title>. Look, Disney is now changing how it present there movies. It is natural progression for this modern age as we fight injustices. So Disney even renounced other old movies like Song of the South because it is racist. disney is correct to not foster injustice. Look now the Jungle Cruise movie. It will feature one character that will come out as gay. This is example of path to inclusivity and that is where I see Bond films going.
Sandeep Jacobin
New Recruit

Omega wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:24 am
There is no way to work Craig’s bond in to the rest of the franchise. There never was a real strong chronology so you could try whatever and still have some room to explain it. After skyfall and spectre there’s no way to explain it away. It was a reboot that never got to the good stories and picked out the same story themes pretty much established in CR to play again and again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I think the goal now is not try fitting into rest of franchise. Maybe that is goal of producers.I believe series will require great reset. Cut off completely from legacy of franchise. Daniel Craig bond films is the starting point, then continue from there. Next actor must play it like how Craig portray Bond. That is the established character now. Then new stories must reflect the sensibility and mood of today. Like what Marvel or Disney is doing in how they focus on social justice in new movies.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Black Widow is currently grossing $319 million globally—putting it on the path to end up being one of the lowest-grossing Marvel movies ever.
Johansson's attorney, John Berlinski of Kasowitz Benson Torres LLP, said in a statement: "It's no secret that Disney is releasing films like Black Widow directly onto Disney+ to increase subscribers and thereby boost the company's stock price—and that it's hiding behind COVID-19 as a pretext to do so. But ignoring the contracts of the artists responsible for the success of its films in furtherance of this short-sighted strategy violates their rights and we look forward to proving as much in court. This will surely not be the last case where Hollywood talent stands up to Disney and makes it clear that, whatever the company may pretend, it has a legal obligation to honor its contracts."-------The Walt Disney Co. has fired back at Scarlet Johansson’s lawsuit over the release of Black Widow, in a biting statement in which it said that the litigation showed a “callous disregard” to the Covid-19 pandemic and even revealed that she has so far received $20 million from the project-------poor Scarlett. She is suing Disney for more money because her filmed underperformed. Black Widow is a 'minor' character in the Marvel universe with NO special powers like the better real superheroes.
Last edited by bjmdds on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

I know I should resist feeding the trolls, but, Bond's a secret agent. That means his job involves attacking people, manipulating people and interrogating people. Spies by their very nature are not politically correct. That doesn't mean of course that issues of social justice or the political issues of the day can't be brought up in a Bond movie, but if they are they better fit well into the story in a subtle way rather than being shoehorned in for the sake of it. You're right Fleming occasionally wrote bigoted things that horrify some modern audiences. The fact is though we're talking about just a few sentences in hundreds of pages of prose, so they're easily dealt with by just ignoring them when making the movies. And in actual fact the classic Bond movies usually did a pretty good job of just avoiding political and socioeconomic issues altogether (I said usually. Bond's quip to Vijay when he hands him the cash in Octopussy wasn't great nor was probably the "junkie's welfare system" remark in LALD and I'm sure there are a few others, but again these are very brief moments in the classic movies).

There are of course the moments of obvious sexism in many of the movies but yet again these are generally brief moments. The classic Bond's character isn't dependent on that sexism for its survival, so we don't need to throw the character out and replace it. A small adjustment for modern audiences is fine. I'd argue they already got that about right with Pierce's Bond in GoldenEye. Craig's Bond's attitude to women does not seem like an improvement, I would argue.

You want inclusivity? Mr Wint and Mr Kidd were gay, albeit villains.
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

acid wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:01 pm I know I should resist feeding the trolls, but...
Save your breath Acid, I'm fairly certain this guy is a work of satire, the problem is he hasn't let everyone in on the joke, which makes this all rather tedious. I've never been one to advocate dropping the "ban hammer;" however, as this gent's little game is disingenuous, a massive distraction and doesn't add to the conversation perhaps it's time for him to go.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

dirtybenny wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:37 pm Save your breath Acid, I'm fairly certain this guy is a work of satire, the problem is he hasn't let everyone in on the joke, which makes this all rather tedious. I've never been one to advocate dropping the "ban hammer;" however, as this gent's little game is disingenuous, a massive distraction and doesn't add to the conversation perhaps it's time for him to go.
I'm sure you're right, DB. I gave it my 2 cents because the main issue he raises, even as an exaggerated caricature, comes up a lot these days when discussing movies. I've no intention of entering any extended discussion with the guy. ;)
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Regarding the ScarJo thing, it's easy to say "she's already richer than Croesus, why does she need another $35 million?" But a lot of people are making the point on social media that if Disney think they can casually toss aside a contractual agreement with an A-list movie star on a whim, imagine how they'll treat people lower down the food chain, who don't have nearly as much leverage.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Sandeep Jacobin
New Recruit

acid wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:01 pm And in actual fact the classic Bond movies usually did a pretty good job of just avoiding political and socioeconomic issues altogether (I said usually. Bond's quip to Vijay when he hands him the cash in Octopussy wasn't great nor was probably the "junkie's welfare system" remark in LALD and I'm sure there are a few others, but again these are very brief moments in the classic movies).

There are of course the moments of obvious sexism in many of the movies but yet again these are generally brief moments.

You want inclusivity? Mr Wint and Mr Kidd were gay, albeit villains.
Brief moments that should not have been put in movie in the first place.

For example of Wind and Kidd, I remember those characters. Yes they were gay but demonized as villains. So no improvement there.

Consider this way, Old Bond movies emphasized "traditional" hero but it is now outdated. They showed middle-aged white guy saving the world but movie industry has changed. World has changed. People and development of society has changed. Academic world is decolonizing curriculums. So we cannot go back to that style of Bond movie. It emphasize that kind of hero and give privilege to that style of hero and western values like heterosexuality, maleness, etc. and make women and other people of color inferior. That is why Bond movies now change. I believe Barbara Broccoli has understanding the world has changed, movie industry has changed. We cannot go back to that kind of Bond movie. She understands now how important to remove privilege in the character, and make more inclusive to voices of color and other characters that show diverse views. It's good there was a female M and a black Monneypenny. In new movie this fall we will see more black women and Latina actress. I think Rami Malek is the villain and I hope he bring some uniqueness to the character. In the trailer I also see Bond is in airplane with black woman but she is in charge of situation. That is also good. So this movie is showing potential for diversity. My only complaint is they still have white guy as M. I had hoped they go back to female M.
Sandeep Jacobin
New Recruit

dirtybenny wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:37 pm
acid wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:01 pm I know I should resist feeding the trolls, but...
Save your breath Acid, I'm fairly certain this guy is a work of satire, the problem is he hasn't let everyone in on the joke, which makes this all rather tedious. I've never been one to advocate dropping the "ban hammer;" however, as this gent's little game is disingenuous, a massive distraction and doesn't add to the conversation perhaps it's time for him to go.
I will not tolerate such accusations. I know you will never apologize. Always you attack me, suggest I am fraud, a liar. I have explained my situation and I will defend myself from such slander. Problem is with you. I realize now you attack like this because you fear me, you fear what I say, you cannot accept change. That movie industry has changed, and Bond series has changed. Change is difficult, I understand. But you are clinging to something that no longer work today. That is why you are frustrated and angry.

Really weird how this forum has over 1000 members but only like 5 people always post. I looked at other threads and that is what I am seeing. That is because I see now this forum is full of intolerance. You have problems with inclusion. Other members probably feel not belonging and not accepted for who they are. This forum is obsolete, I am sorry to announce. It is not dynamic and growing with active members. When I learn this forum is not how I expect, I was going to leave but I saw accusations I am fraud, I am liar. I will not let stand for something I am wrongly accused. That's why I reply to those other posts. I know you will never apologize you have been wrong calling me liar and fraud.
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

So anyway... You got a point there Kris, sometimes the "big fish" need to take one for the "little fish." As you say ScarJo can afford it, some others who come along next may not be able to. The Hollywood machine in 2021 same as it always was.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

dirtybenny wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:25 pm So anyway... You got a point there Kris, sometimes the "big fish" need to take one for the "little fish." As you say ScarJo can afford it, some others who come along next may not be able to. The Hollywood machine in 2021 same as it always was.
Hollywood is eating its own now it seems too.........justice?.......
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Sandeep Jacobin wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:27 pm
dirtybenny wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:37 pm
I will not tolerate such accusations. I know you will never apologize. Always you attack me, suggest I am fraud, a liar. I have explained my situation and I will defend myself from such slander. Problem is with you. I realize now you attack like this because you fear me, you fear what I say, you cannot accept change. That movie industry has changed, and Bond series has changed. Change is difficult, I understand. But you are clinging to something that no longer work today. That is why you are frustrated and angry.

Really weird how this forum has over 1000 members but only like 5 people always post. I looked at other threads and that is what I am seeing. That is because I see now this forum is full of intolerance. You have problems with inclusion. Other members probably feel not belonging and not accepted for who they are. This forum is obsolete, I am sorry to announce. It is not dynamic and growing with active members. When I learn this forum is not how I expect, I was going to leave but I saw accusations I am fraud, I am liar. I will not let stand for something I am wrongly accused. That's why I reply to those other posts. I know you will never apologize you have been wrong calling me liar and fraud.

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

This is an interesting video which looks into the "more realistic" James Bond delusion. It is interesting that he is making all the arguments that we have been making about Craig and the Bond series all these years! Have a watch.

Bring back Bond!
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Interesting video Carl, it's nice to see "the great one" getting some pushback.
acid
Commander

Post by acid »

carl stromberg wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:37 pm This is an interesting video which looks into the "more realistic" James Bond delusion. It is interesting that he is making all the arguments that we have been making about Craig and the Bond series all these years! Have a watch.
Thanks Carl, I enjoyed that. His video about Moonraker wasn't bad either. He makes a case it has more in common with 2001: A Space Odyssey than Star Wars. Also I hadn't noticed before that the space shuttle hadn't yet launched for real when Moonraker came out. Interesting stuff.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Saw the new suicide squad on HBO max it was fun. I bet Ho max gets the blame for bo performance no matter what happens

............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:Saw the new suicide squad on HBO max it was fun. I bet Ho max gets the blame for bo performance no matter what happens

It seems to be an across the board problem. Suicide Squad didn't do very well, but was still the number one film at the box office. Bad news for any film that needs to gross nearly a billion dollars in order to break even: https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/d ... money.html

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

The "L" they refer to with Cr-egg's legacy is for LOSER as a Bond actor, not so much a Losing economic measure. They consider the MI6 website the Bond "news" website? I guess Broccoli does have some input there, since it was redesigned years ago.
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

^ *bites tongue*

But fo reals..there is some reciprocation going on between the green veggie and the MI6 website.
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:37 pm The "L" they refer to with Cr-egg's legacy is for LOSER as a Bond actor, not so much a Losing economic measure. They consider the MI6 website the Bond "news" website? I guess Broccoli does have some input there, since it was redesigned years ago.
And let's not forget that QOS only just scraped into the black, way before the pandemic. SPECTRE was way down on Skyfall's total too, as I recall.