The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

Count_Lippe wrote:They say Lazenby was very cocky and self-confident though, I don't think he was nervous. He also handled himself well in the fight scenes and the filmmakers were impressed by this. But he didn't have the same screen presence as Connery and Moore.

Lazenby was sort of a poor man's version of 007, and the movie OHMSS is overrated. Some fans say it's their favourite Bond movie, but I believe it could have been a much better film. In broad terms it's a well-made film but there is a lot of stuff in it that don't quite work.
Ohmss has a reputation of being the “best eva!” in certain circles, EON for years would watch OHMSS before production begins to try to figure out how to recapture that magic, they use scenes from it to test actors. Similar to how scenes FRWL are used in testing.

If OHMSS had stared Sean Connery as it was originally intended it might of been one of the strongest bond movies ever. Connery was interested in making that movie and wanted a bigger partnership with cubby and saltzman. It was supposed to be a 1967 film but EON wasn’t ready to produce it making YOLT instead, probably trying to rush out a picture to combat CR , another movie Connery was interested in making but not without cubby and saltzman. But they weren’t interested in making Connery any better offer than he currently had and his performance shows his disinterest in YOLT.

Lazenby benefited from one of the rare times EON actually spent years prepping a film, with a story Connery was interested in marking, strangely a story lazenby himself doesn’t think was really any good even though many though years later his acting reputation was boosted by it.
Imho if Craig had quit 2007 he’d have the reputation of a acting god too good for bond, which he is in his own mind. And if he had left I think the production would not have become a vanity project for babs and Craig, so the movies might have become better without trying to retread old bond story points.

IMHO If some of those rabid fans in 2006 had known about bad Bourne rip off, mommy M and brofeld and remaking stories they would not be pleased to see Craig continue. They thought they were entering a new golden age of bond with thought out well produced films departing from the cubby mass market cannery churning out movies, instead what we got is movies without the preproduction foot work cubby had done rushing into production unprepared trying to steal edgy angles from other franchises except executing them poorly.
Craig era is going to be know for only one movie with the rest being unremarkable, basically wasting 13 years of possibly moving bond forward .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote: Lazenby benefited from one of the rare times EON actually spent years prepping a film, with a story Connery was interested in marking, strangely a story lazenby himself doesn’t think was really any good even though many though years later his acting reputation was boosted by it.
Imho if Craig had quit 2007 he’d have the reputation of a acting god too good for bond, which he is in his own mind. And if he had left I think the production would not have become a vanity project for babs and Craig, so the movies might have become better without trying to retread old bond story points.

I agree that had Craig quit after CR he would have been in the same category as Laz. The "what if" category, only more so. We ask "what if" about Laz but could you imagine all the "what if" Craig would have sparked? Had he walked away while being trumpeted as "best X, Y and Z to play Bond" the fan boy's collective heads would have exploded with speculation on how great it all would have been. Of course as we know all he's done is tarnish his reputation the longer he's stayed. As bad as it was had he left after QOS, CR would have been strong enough to gloss over the bad reputation. Had he left after SF, he still would have fared well leaving on a high, as "highest grossing Bond EVA!" However it was SP which did the most damage and it'll be interesting if his reputation can bounce back with 25. Considering the jumbled production and the audience having already moved on it's highly doubtable.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I feel like bond has been left behind. So much has happens cinematically since 2006 and bond is stuck there trying to find relevance it once had in 2005. We’ve gone place with a lot of movie series and bond is two films a decade series, holing the audience still cares about vesper and how bond became a bond.

dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote:I feel like bond has been left behind. So much has happens cinematically since 2006 and bond is stuck there trying to find relevance it once had in 2005. We’ve gone place with a lot of movie series and bond is two films a decade series, holing the audience still cares about vesper and how bond became a bond.

You're right O he has, 4 films and 4 origin stories with nearly a half decade between them. They're still chasing Bourne years after that series has fallen from relevance and struggling to tell the same basic story 15 different ways. This is how Bond started and it's personal, this time he's still becoming Bond and it's still personal, this is how Bond started in childhood and it's very personal and now some more of Bond's beginnings in childhood and it's all so very, very PERSONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

In total, brands have paid a whopping £75 million for Bond’s endorsements in the latest movie :!:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:In total, brands have paid a whopping £75 million for Bond’s endorsements in the latest movie :!:
Who needs box office revenues?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

The Saint 007 hasn't posted in a long while.
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

Greetings, gentlemen. How are things?
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Count_Lippe wrote:The Saint 007 hasn't posted in a long while.

I was just thinking the same thing, I hope all is well with him.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

John P. Drake wrote:Greetings, gentlemen. How are things?
And a good day to you John P.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

ABC tv announced that on Good Morning America this Thursday and Friday morning they will be discussing information on the Bond franchise and the new film :!:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

John P. Drake wrote:Greetings, gentlemen. How are things?
Five months AWOL Drakester? Been on a secret assignment tracking down FBF?
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Maybe John P. Drake does work for secret intelligence... :spy:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Saw a story about the guy who helped get the bond movies made in 1960’s just died. I was at work and couldn’t send my self a link

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The press conference announcing the title etc is apparently tomorrow. Because obviously everyone is going to want to talk about Bond on the day a f**king Avengers movie is released.

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:The press conference announcing the title etc is apparently tomorrow. Because obviously everyone is going to want to talk about Bond on the day a f**king Avengers movie is released.

Uh yeeeeaahhhh Kris, duh! I mean especially one so eagerly anticipated such as this! I mean they got that one director from that one t.v.show and well... I hear they'll be confirming the electric Aston rumor and... uh... Daniel Craig is coming back... again... but we already knew that... Oh wait we'll learn the title... which will be Eclipse... which we already know... but yeah exciting.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

On an unrelated note, I saw Captain Marvel the other day. No connection to Shatterclipse whatsoever, but isn't it amazing what they can do these days with digital de-aging technology?

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:On an unrelated note, I saw Captain Marvel the other day. No connection to Shatterclipse whatsoever, but isn't it amazing what they can do these days with digital de-aging technology?

Yes! And thank heavens for it! Now we can keep creaky old Dan around for another 15 years!
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Mr and Mrs Jaws.

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

I wonder what look Craig will have for the press conference?

Bring back Bond!