The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

Wilson and Brocolli shared: "We are devastated by the news of the passing of Sir Sean Connery. He was and shall always be remembered as the original James Bond whose indelible entrance into cinema history began when he announced those unforgettable words —

"The name’s Bond... James Bond” — he revolutionised the world with his gritty and witty portrayal of the sexy and charismatic secret agent. He is undoubtedly largely responsible for the success of the film series and we shall be forever grateful to him."
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Babs can admit those lines became iconic, now, for years she tried to avoid the original bond image having to use these lines in Craig’s movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Four more weeks of lockdown *and* Sir Sean is dead. Today has not been a good day.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Love how they nonchalantly tossed gritty in there got to keep the narrative going, Connery was certainly less cavalier than Moore but "gritty" I can't get there.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
acid
Commander
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia with Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only, A View To a Kill, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye

Post by acid »

bjmdds wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:44 pm the original James Bond whose indelible entrance into cinema history began when he announced those unforgettable words —

"The name’s Bond... James Bond”
It's probably a bad time to nitpick, but... I don't remember him saying "The name's Bond", wasn't it just "Bond. James Bond."?

And yeah, "gritty" wouldn't be my first choice of word to describe his portrayal either.
"Wonderful for poison pen letters..."
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

RIP Sean Connery. He had many memorable roles alongside his classic Bonds.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

bjmdds wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:44 pm Wilson and Brocolli shared: "We are devastated by the news of the passing of Sir Sean Connery. He was and shall always be remembered as the original James Bond whose indelible entrance into cinema history began when he announced those unforgettable words —

"The name’s Bond... James Bond” — he revolutionised the world with his gritty and witty portrayal of the sexy and charismatic secret agent. He is undoubtedly largely responsible for the success of the film series and we shall be forever grateful to him."

Barbara is shameless, out of the many ways to respond this one comes off as a carnival barker shilling tickets for her next show. For examples of how to do it look no further than how Disney handled Chadwick Boseman.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:40 pm Yes, Duncan Jones, Bowie's son and a successful filmmaker in his own right, found out and has publicly disavowed the film, including denying permission for the use of the music. That could be because he's working on his own project--not a biopic, but a animated musical based on his father's songs, written by Neil Gaiman and directed by one of the guys who did Into the Spider-Verse--which I'm sure will be much better than this travesty.
kater23 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:33 pm Neil Gaiman?Musical?I’m in.
Count me in as well. This project has the makings of being a real treat for Bowie fans.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote: Count me in as well. This project has the makings of being a real treat for Bowie fans.
It sounds like it's going to be a sort of Into The Bowie-Verse featuring Bowie's various alter egos like Ziggy Stardust, the Thin White Duke and so on. Which is a much better way of approaching his legacy than a conventional biopic.

Mexican Staring Frog
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
GoldenEye
Favorite Movies: 12 Angry Men
Midnight Cowboy
Rocky
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Hell or High Water

Post by Mexican Staring Frog »

Omega wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:33 pm Babs can admit those lines became iconic, now, for years she tried to avoid the original bond image having to use these lines in Craig’s movies.

To be fair, it was the same with Brosnan being featured more prominently during his tenure. Many of those ads on VHS/DVD promoting the Bond films seemed to be 50% Brosnan footage, with Dalts and Laz getting maybe a token clip or two. And it makes sense to promote your current Bond more than his predecessors as a way of keeping them relevant and not be overshadowed. I can guarantee when they select a new Bond he will get as much prominence in promotional material as Brosnan and Craig did in their tenures.

So of course when there's a Bond you don't like getting a lot of promotion, it just sticks out more unfavorably.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Mexican Staring Frog wrote:
Omega wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:33 pm Babs can admit those lines became iconic, now, for years she tried to avoid the original bond image having to use these lines in Craig’s movies.

To be fair, it was the same with Brosnan being featured more prominently during his tenure. Many of those ads on VHS/DVD promoting the Bond films seemed to be 50% Brosnan footage, with Dalts and Laz getting maybe a token clip or two. And it makes sense to promote your current Bond more than his predecessors as a way of keeping them relevant and not be overshadowed. I can guarantee when they select a new Bond he will get as much prominence in promotional material as Brosnan and Craig did in their tenures.

So of course when there's a Bond you don't like getting a lot of promotion, it just sticks out more unfavorably.
I meant from CR on it’s been a battle if Craig would say the lines or where the gun barrel would be.
Far as Craig in everything the only ones that bothered me is the remaster of Goldeneye 64, the racing game had another young actor cast as bond we put attention on the fact game companies were going to another actor by the time the game came out to flop it was remastered to be Craig and he voiced it. He seems to think in general video games are beneath his dignity. It was a event each movie and in between. Of course GE 64 was the best, FRWL was fun I don’t remember much of the others but my brothers always got whatever the new bond game was.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Here's a little bit of Connery trivia that I learned on Gallifrey Base; apparently he appeared with three-quarters of the original TARDIS crew in the pre-Doctor Who/Pre-Bond era, albeit in different productions. He was in Hell Drivers with William Hartnell, a film called Blood Money with Jacqueline Hill (Barbara), and a TV adaptation of a Terence Rattigan play with William Russell (Ian). Sadly, I don't think he ever appeared with Carole Anne Ford (Susan) to complete the set.

Mexican Staring Frog
Lieutenant
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
GoldenEye
Midnight Cowboy
Rocky
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Hell or High Water

Omega wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:54 pm
Mexican Staring Frog wrote:

I meant from CR on it’s been a battle if Craig would say the lines or where the gun barrel would be.
Far as Craig in everything the only ones that bothered me is the remaster of Goldeneye 64, the racing game had another young actor cast as bond we put attention on the fact game companies were going to another actor by the time the game came out to flop it was remastered to be Craig and he voiced it. He seems to think in general video games are beneath his dignity. It was a event each movie and in between. Of course GE 64 was the best, FRWL was fun I don’t remember much of the others but my brothers always got whatever the new bond game was.

Game developers have been trying to make the GoldenEye name a brand itself because that N64 game is so iconic. I remember there was a video of a focus group being asked "what if I told you that a new GoldenEye game was in development?". Not a "new James Bond game". That really put me off, because it implied Bond games were not noteworthy unless they were related to GE. That essentially devalued Bond games. But it makes sense why. All games after GE had been on a slow but steady decline, either trying to recapture the magic of GE and not match it or actually try to do something different and still not come close. LEGENDS was supposedly the last straw.

I haven't played BLOOD STONE, but I heard it's the best Craig game because it doesn't try to either be GE or another Call of Duty clone.
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Mexican Staring Frog wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:45 am I haven't played BLOOD STONE, but I heard it's the best Craig game because it doesn't try to either be GE or another Call of Duty clone.
I played it and it wasn't too bad, it was funny to see Craig in a somewhat traditional Bond story.

I also enjoyed Everything Or Nothing from 2004, Brosnan's last game and what I call the last true Bond film.
Mexican Staring Frog
Lieutenant
Diamonds Are Forever
The Spy Who Loved Me
GoldenEye
Midnight Cowboy
Rocky
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Hell or High Water

The only Bond games I ever actually finished were GE, TND, and TWINE (N64). With AOF, NF, EON, and QOS I would play the first few levels but lose interest in finishing, often to the point I simply forget about them.

Never bothered playing the GE remake. The idea of listening to a 75 year old Connery voice in a FRWL game put me off that (though I think it's actually cool that he participated at all, and during his retirement). Blood Stone I just simply never got around to. And Legends I simply avoided because of its awful reputation.

I do think Bond games as we knew from 1997-2012 are truly over. If Bond is ever to return to gaming, it needs to do for Bond games what GE did for Bond films.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I never bothered with GE: Rogue Agent either.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

dirtybenny wrote:
Mexican Staring Frog wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:45 am I haven't played BLOOD STONE, but I heard it's the best Craig game because it doesn't try to either be GE or another Call of Duty clone.
I played it and it wasn't too bad, it was funny to see Craig in a somewhat traditional Bond story.

I also enjoyed Everything Or Nothing from 2004, Brosnan's last game and what I call the last true Bond film.
I forgot about everything or nothing that was fun

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Mexican Staring Frog wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:07 am The only Bond games I ever actually finished were GE, TND, and TWINE (N64). With AOF, NF, EON, and QOS I would play the first few levels but lose interest in finishing, often to the point I simply forget about them.

Never bothered playing the GE remake. The idea of listening to a 75 year old Connery voice in a FRWL game put me off that (though I think it's actually cool that he participated at all, and during his retirement). Blood Stone I just simply never got around to. And Legends I simply avoided because of its awful reputation.

I do think Bond games as we knew from 1997-2012 are truly over. If Bond is ever to return to gaming, it needs to do for Bond games what GE did for Bond films.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I never bothered with GE: Rogue Agent either.
You didn't miss much Froggy (if I may call you that), EON was in my opinion the best of the bunch and if it didn't hold your attention the others don't have much of a chance. FRWL was ok, similar to EON, but obviously with a 60's style and starring Connery as you pointed out.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Haven't got a link yet, but I've just heard on Twitter that Geoffrey Palmer (Admiral Roebuck in TND, among many other roles) has died aged 93. RIP Geoffrey.

Edited to add link to his local newspaper: https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/1 ... 3/?ref=rss
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

In a new interview with Harper's Bazaar UK, Lynch has confirmed that she "will indeed" be the first Black woman to take on the title of 007 :!: Lynch told the magazine how she prepped herself emotionally for what would be the inevitable and horrible backlash. She unplugged from social media and reminded herself that the disgusting comments were not about her personally.----------the end of the franchise is now complete :!: First Connery this week, and now this disgrace, further deviating from Fleming's iconic character, as the rancid witch defiles the legacy even more :!:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Did anyone actually care? It sounds like a quote from 10 months ago when eon first tried to troll fans. I’m so disinterested and disinvested in the eon franchise I only see the lynch as 007 in nttd as light racism on eons part. They’ve cheapen the brand even more than they had earlier with Craig. I honestly think aside from the trolling of fans lynch would be better served as another 00 number, but the eon team is comfortable with token gestures rather than building real characters.
Their obsession with color goes back to Jinx in DAD being on of the better things about the movie. They were upset when mgm pulled the plug in a spin off 2003-4 and have been stuck trying to reinvent that moment.

I don’t think average movie goers know or care, about nttd or lynch. Fans care somewhat because it waters down the meaning of 007, perhaps more so than the code name theory would.
The problem I see is they want a hyper competent 007, which fly’s in the face of Craig’s screw up 007 literally from day one that m couldn’t trust who goes AWOL or quits ever other mission, I think it hurts the image they had of bond by showing him up so effortlessly.
What I can’t over look is to “shock” the audience eon wants to defy expectations by 007 being black and double whammy 007 is female, note to Babs it’s not 1968 anymore most of western world moved on.