The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by The Sweeney »

Omega wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
Omega wrote:We have to see if He is part of a big movie franchise first. Sequels and justice league spin offs hang in the balance.

Unknowns are the way they usually go but Brosnan, Dalton, and Moore were pretty well know at the time unlike Lazenby. What should we consider unknown ? Hollywood seems to be Turing out "stars" faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Out of all the Bonds, I'd say Moore and Brozza were the most well known before taking the part - both having decent success in the TV world.
Connery and Lazenby were unknown, and Dalton and Craig had small roles in bigger movies, but still not very well known. When Craig was chosen the only thing I'd seen him in was Road to Perdition and Layer Cake, and as for Dalton, the only thing I had seen him in was Flash Gordon.

None of the actors were big stars before Bond. The producers definitely wouldn't go with an actor that was already famous in another starring role like Superman or Batman - which is why Bale was ruled out of the running from the very beginning.

And with Superman being a Nolan franchise, I'm fairly sure Cavill will be doing more than one movie as Kal-El.
What I kind of saying what is unknown today? Even tv stars are well known more IMO than they were a few years ago.

I would say unknown is a youngish upcoming actor who is playing small roles in bigger films, or perhaps had one break as a main role on an Indie film (Layer Cake being a good example).
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

The way social media is used Changed how unknown unknowns were ;)

Star Wars 7 casting ought to be interesting. Maybe not except for the three main Jedi the prequels had poor casting.

............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Sweeney wrote: I think for the first Bond in 1962, Cubby and Harry only ever really had one guy in mind - and they got him.
No, Connery was far from their first choice. Most of the options, people like Cary Grant and James Mason, were never realistic choices. According to a Connery biography I read, it was down to him, Roger Moore or Patrick McGoohan, but McGoohan turned it down and Moore couldn't get out of his Saint contract. leaving Connery the last man standing.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

The heck with Cr-egg's Bond. It's off now to celebrate the life of Davy Jones tonight in New Jersey. http://www.monkeeconvention.com/Special-Guests.html
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

bjmdds wrote:The heck with Cr-egg's Bond. It's off now to celebrate the life of Davy Jones tonight in New Jersey. http://www.monkeeconvention.com/Special-Guests.html

Wow..there are some great guests .I wish they had more of those type conventions than the huge scale cons like ComiCon here in San Diego.
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love

Post by stockslivevan »

FormerBondFan wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:Cavill won't get the gig. That boat sailed for him a long time ago.
The same can be said with Michael Fassbender.
Which is a shame, but that's how it is.
Blowfeld wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:
stockslivevan wrote:Cavill won't get the gig. That boat sailed for him a long time ago.
I agree. I am 100% positive he won't be the next Bond.

The next actor will be someone relatively unknown, not associated with any franchise role. For that I am absolutely certain.
I might be too except he almost had the role in 2005 if history shows us one thing it's that close contenders get a second chance. Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan all got a second chance after missing out the first time.
Except Moore, Dalton and Brosnan never starred as the leads of big franchise films before James Bond. Two out of the three final candidates have now become associated with leading franchises (Worthington and now Cavill). Of the three candiates, Alex O'Loughlin probably has the best shot, as he's currently a TV star much like Moore and Brosnan was.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Alex has NO shot.......not a chance in hell......no way. The big Micky Dolenz closed out the concert tonight with Peter Tork. About 1000 people were at the hotel's show tonight. Even the 1910 Fruit Gum Company was part of the show. Next month is the annual Beatles fest in New Jersey featuring the king of all Hermits, Peter Noone as the special guest. http://www.thefest.com/fest/Current/NewYork/ny.php
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

I don't think he does either, but of the three 2005 candidates he has a better chance.
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

Interesting, since you were one of the people who was so keen on Fassbender(to the point of hype) not too long ago. :?

He is a great actor, but wrong for Bond.
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
stockslivevan
SPECTRE 02

Post by stockslivevan »

kater23 wrote:Interesting, since you were one of the people who was so keen on Fassbender(to the point of hype) not too long ago. :?

He is a great actor, but wrong for Bond.
I started championing him for the role after Inglourious Basterds came out in 2009, by that point in his career he had only been doing supporting roles in a few films and at the time he seemed like a good possibility for a Bond candidate. Four years later he's come a long way, not only getting lead parts but is currently in two major franchises. Hate to admit it, but he''s gotten too big for Bond.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

He'd do a better job than Craig that for sure.

Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Please please tell me if anything happens to the queen Prince Charles doesn't become king!

Diana's son William should inherit the throne IMO.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Dr. No wrote:Please please tell me if anything happens to the queen Prince Charles doesn't become king!

Yes - old Charlie will finally get his chance! Maybe the British monarchy should be like the Dutch where the King/Queen abdicates after 30 years.
Bring back Bond!
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Dr. No wrote:Please please tell me if anything happens to the queen Prince Charles doesn't become king!

Broccoli has Cr-egg next in line for the throne now that he is Britain's national treasure since the Olympics and Skyfall. Why do you think Rachel married him? Certainly not for his good looks and charm.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

Jet Set Sweeney any reports of DVD/BR sales figures?

Yes, I've seen the number one ranks but I'm looking for actual numbers ever since Wal-mart joined up its been hard to get real numbers except in studio PR.
Breaking Dawn Part 2 sold an estimated 3.86 million units in its debut weekend

This is what I was expecting and this is what we get.
Argo bowed at No. 1 on the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart, which tracks overall disc sales.

Argo ended a brief stay at the top of the chart by Skyfall

Still, demand for Skyfall remained strong in week two, with the film selling 83 percent as many units its second week in stores as Argo in its debut week.

And on Nielsen’s dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart, Skyfall remained in the No. 1 position for the second consecutive week, with HBO’s Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season bowing at No. 2 and Argo debuting at No. 3.
I am aware what some of those number are, not as big as you would think to claim a top rank.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I hate to break it to you, but you don't have any say in the matter. What do you think this is, a 21st century democracy?
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:

I hate to break it to you, but you don't have any say in the matter. What do you think this is, a 21st century democracy?
Who died and made you king ? :lol;

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Kristatos wrote:

Would you turn down the chance to be King of an independent Wessex? :D
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:
Kristatos wrote:

Would you turn down the chance to be King of an independent Wessex? :D
I don't want to be king of anything. Or president for that matter. I have enough stress in my life as it is.