The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Disreputable British tabloid The Sun has a much more sensationalised version of the story here: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/9 ... explosion/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
pretty damning. Interesting how the wrist comment hasn’t been forgotten all these years later. The usual pr would whitewash it, ignoring it completely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:pretty damning. Interesting how the wrist comment hasn’t been forgotten all these years later. The usual pr would whitewash it, ignoring it completely
I'm sure EON would love to brush it under the carpet, but you can't unsay something like that. I occasionally see Craigskis getting exasperated, saying "why do people keep going on about that?"

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

357 thousand of pounds per minute? Let's say a movie will be 140 minutes long. That would be... Around 50 million in total. 50 bloody million just so he could stand there, scowl as usual with a bored "I am too good for this" expression on his face. This is a whole new level of bizarre. And some said how Brosnan was overpaid. In comparison to this he might as well have been working for free.
I know this comes from The Sun so we should take it with a grain of salt but still.. Yeesh.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
I'm sure EON would love to brush it under the carpet, but you can't unsay something like that. I occasionally see Craigskis getting exasperated, saying "why do people keep going on about that?"

until recently slash my wrists comment would be “forgotten” by any press and critic. Amazing how even in passing entertainment news it is repeated.

I think to average movie goers it’s unforgivable, maybe too strong a word but for working class people which is most of the world getting the spare $100-200 for a date/family trip to the movies is tough. Craig made flippant comments in the past about money, then he says he would rather kill himself than play a role 70-100 million people pay money to see, often getting a half finished movie that’s unsatisfying. I think Craig’s comments struck home in a way that was different this time, has to be strange experience for EON when most of what he says is ignored.
The narrative went from Craig being a darling actor who is too good and too sensitive for the role to a grumpy Bas***d who doesn’t appreciates the bond fans.
Also the length of time and delays also play in, plus all the babs generated drama about if wonder Craig would be back, she never noticed the public and press were ready to move on. Especially the press it seems, they are allowing the narrative of ungrateful actor and poor production to get roots.

Also the movie experience changed, babs things her 5-6 year release schedule with poorly planed production is ok. It worked somewhat when she had a formula to follow. But the series in movies since marvel, even lord of the rings and other book series, audiences are used to stories going someplace and at least feeling like they get an experience watching the series I don’t think Craig’s body of work holds up to this

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Guardian interview with Caroline Munro, which features a rather wonderful headline:
https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2019/j ... ssion=true

Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Judi Dench the most iconic Bond girl? Come on, Caroline.
A wonderful headline, I agree.
Moore seemed very content on all the pictures with Barbara and Caroline :lol:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

In 1977, Munro turned down the opportunity to play villainess Ursa in Superman in favour of Naomi in The Spy Who Loved Me.......mistake?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Veronica wrote:Judi Dench the most iconic Bond girl? Come on, Caroline. lol:
She's just being modest. As for whether it was a mistake to turn down the role of Ursa in Superman, it's hard to say. It's not like the role of Naomi exactly hurt her career.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Radio Times: The script is reportedly based on 1999 novel Never Dream of Dying by US writer Raymond Benson.

A plot leak in September 2017 saw US gossip publication Page Six report that Bond 25 will see notorious womaniser 007 get married to Dr Madeleine Swann (played by Lea Seydoux) after quitting MI6.

But his domestic bliss with Swann is short-lived after she is killed, seeing Bond come out of retirement to avenge her death – a plot not dissimilar to classic Bond caper On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

An insider claimed, “The film’s like ‘Taken’, but with Bond.” Image Image
Last edited by bjmdds on Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Well, that was nearly two years ago. Who knows how many drafts the script has gone through since then?

Meanwhile, this was on my news feed this morning: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/j ... ilm-cursed

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I don’t think the never dream of dying is real. That was a rumor before 2002 DAD, the strongest history is eon will never pay for movie rights to any author besides Ian Fleming’s original work.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:I don’t think the never dream of dying is real. That was a rumor before 2002 DAD, the strongest history is eon will never pay for movie rights to any author besides Ian Fleming’s original work.

That set off my bs detector too. For me, it's up there with former Bond actors returning as villains as a surefire indicator that a story is bogus.

Edit: and whilst I take the talk of "a Bond film for the Me Too era" with a bucket of salt after 40 years of "a different kind of Bond girl", I don't think they'd get away with fridging Madeleine Swann in this day and age.

dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: I don't think they'd get away with fridging Madeleine Swann in this day and age.
I can almost guarantee they will. First they need to motivate Bond out of retirement and I don't think Leiter politely asking will be enough. Plus let's not forget EON's current obsession with "this time it's personal." Not to mention the "intimacy coach" brought in to supervise Craig's love scenes with Ana De Armas. Craig can't be making love (or whatever passes for it in his films) to another woman while Swann the "love of his life" is in the next room. Also Pervis and Wade have on numerous occasions stated their infatuation with Tracy from OHMSS. Quite frankly I'd be shocked if she makes it through the opening credits.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

By "get away with" I mean that it will piss off a lot of people. Fridging women is seen as an outdated, sexist trope nowadays, and whilst Craig's films have received a remarkably easy ride from audiences and critics so far, the tide seems to be turning against him. I think this would be the final nail in Shatterclipse's coffin.

dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:By "get away with" I mean that it will piss off a lot of people. Fridging women is seen as an outdated, sexist trope nowadays, and whilst Craig's films have received a remarkably easy ride from audiences and critics so far, the tide seems to be turning against him. I think this would be the final nail in Shatterclipse's coffin.

I'm picking up what your putting down now Kris. I don't know how much blow back they'll get on this particular bit though. Everyone knows it's happening but no one has condemned it yet. More importantly they have the insurance policy of PWB in place as well as Babz' claims of being a devout feminist. Not to mention the critics will be watching for more egregious examples of sexism than simple "fridging." I guess we shall see.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

The world to Barbara Brocolli: Image---------"Fridging" (Short for "Women in Refrigerators") Refers to an act where the villain kills, maims, depowers, or rapes someone close to the hero in order to break the hero's spirit and attempt to make the hero chase him.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I’m still wondering if this isn’t going to be a true detective back and forth in time story arc, centered on new mrs bond SWLM style. Bring back a whole lot of former crew and bad guys if they did.

I agree is this is filmed as a normal bond film it obvious who’s kill in the opening sequence. Intimacy coach it’s obvious who is the next love interest is. Another thought on the intimacy coach is Craig is the one who supposedly had an actress hired to have sex with her, if that isn’t # me too I don’t know what is.

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote:I’m still wondering if this isn’t going to be a true detective back and forth in time story arc, centered on new mrs bond SWLM style. Bring back a whole lot of former crew and bad guys if they did.
That is a thought O, but I don't give the current crew at EON enough credit to come up with such a bold idea, especially while they're writing this on the fly. As to the scene filmed in Norway, I see it as a reverse Bourne Supremacy opening, with Swann having a PTSD type dream waking up in a cold sweat to show "they're both damaged goods living through their traumas."

Omega wrote:Intimacy coach it’s obvious who is the next love interest is. Another thought on the intimacy coach is Craig is the one who supposedly had an actress hired to have sex with her, if that isn’t # me too I don’t know what is.
Yeah if that rumor is true, it's more evidence of the hypocrisy prevalent among Hollywood and the rest of the cultural big shots.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Oh FFS: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/9 ... ami-malek/

Then again, it didn't stop Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder recording Ebony and Ivory.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

They could just recast bond and finish the film on time. Or is the Academy award winning actor the disposable one ?