The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

Den of Geek has now seen a 30-minute preview of the film. Among other things, they confirm that John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch) is almost certainly not Khan, unless there's an extremely well-concealed twist later on in the film.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

The new Man of Steel trailer looks fairly good. I'm still not sold on the idea of no John Williams theme though, and IMO the first Superman movie is unbeatable.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The Sweeney wrote:The new Man of Steel trailer looks fairly good. I'm still not sold on the idea of no John Williams theme though, and IMO the first Superman movie is unbeatable.
I think they're trying to make a clean break with the Christopher Reeve films, because Superman Returns attempted to continue the existing franchise and the perception is that it bombed (though its box office take would have been considered respectable, if unspectacular, had it not been for the film's enormous budget).
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Kristatos wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:The new Man of Steel trailer looks fairly good. I'm still not sold on the idea of no John Williams theme though, and IMO the first Superman movie is unbeatable.
I think they're trying to make a clean break with the Christopher Reeve films, because Superman Returns attempted to continue the existing franchise and the perception is that it bombed (though its box office take would have been considered respectable, if unspectacular, had it not been for the film's enormous budget).
Yes, other than the opening credits and the appearance of Brando, there was very little I liked about Superman Returns.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Routh stunk in the role and was a soap opera reject before they dragged his career out of the scrap heap and gave him a shot at fame. Larry King said he would become huge after it. It tanked and his career went back to being nothing from a bit role on a CBS pilot show to a box office bomb as a supernatural hunter.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Oz The Great and Powerful, with a production budget of $215 million, debuted to a very strong $24.1 million on Friday, and is on pace for an opening weekend over twice as high as any other 2013 movie to date. Meanwhile, Dead Man Down became the latest violent thriller to bomb at the box office.

Oz's opening day is the strongest of the year so far, and is the fourth-highest ever for the month of March. Unfortunately, it is only about 59 percent of Alice in Wonderland's $40.8 million start in March 2010, which is slightly less than many were expecting. Alice opened on Oscar weekend, though, which meant the movie was very front-loaded on opening weekend. That won't be the case with Oz, which should draw big family audiences on Saturday and Sunday.

If Oz plays out like last March's John Carter, it will finish the weekend with over $74 million. With its PG rating and strong family appeal, though, it's likely to go much higher than that. For example, if it follows the pace of last year's The Lorax, it will wind up with around $95 million; instead, something between $80 and $85 million is a reasonable expectation. (Oz has a higher budget than Sk-Awful's $200 million, but it has a lot of CGI stuff I would presume. How does Eon explain their oversold budgets to the tax authorities? $200 million for what? Salaries?)
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

http://www.youtube.com/user/marvel?v=YLorLVa95Xo Iron Man 3 looks BETTER than 2, and it looks similar to Batman Begins' villain. It will go head to head 2 weeks after it opens with ST 2. BOTH look massive in box office potential here in the USA. FBF, it's all about OTHER franchises until Cr-egg vacates the role. Go see Iron 3 as well :!:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:FBF, it's all about OTHER franchises until Cr-egg vacates the role. Go see Iron 3 as well :!:
We can feed all of our money to other franchises from now on, but considering DC's Bond destroyed those vampires, Middle-Earth, and even the Bat at the box office, send in those WWE wrestlers or direct opposites as Bond for all I care. If DC is going to have all the fun in breaking records, forget that as Sheamus should be joining the fun once DC retires. It's not for us. It's for those minions.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

bjmdds wrote:Routh stunk in the role and was a soap opera reject before they dragged his career out of the scrap heap and gave him a shot at fame. Larry King said he would become huge after it. It tanked and his career went back to being nothing from a bit role on a CBS pilot show to a box office bomb as a supernatural hunter.
I believe it was the best reviewed superman film. The audience had a completely different reaction to it however WB had green lighted the sequel be fore letting it die slowly in the back lot.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Blowfeld wrote: I believe it was the best reviewed superman film.

I don't know about that, but it was certainly better-reviewed than Superman III & IV, and deservedly so.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:

I don't know about that, but it was certainly better-reviewed than Superman III & IV, and deservedly so.
Let's hope Snyder's Superman doesn't crash and burn like Reeve's Superman did.
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Kristatos wrote:

Let's hope Snyder's Superman doesn't crash and burn like Reeve's Superman did.
Superman IV was made by the infamous Cannon Films and although they got $36 million from Warners to make the film they apparently spent half the money on other projects and tried to do Superman on the cheap. I remember reading that the test screenings went so badly they cut about 50 minutes from the film until it didn't make any sense whatsoever. Christopher Reeve was furious at Cannon for years after. I was wary of getting my expectations up for Man of Steel but the last trailer was great and the buzz is good. I love the fact too that after being told more than once on other forums that Henry Cavill could never be Bond because he's such a pansy (which I never understood because he's a former rugby player and much bigger than Daniel Craig) he's now playing Superman.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Superman IV was terrible. When I saw it in the theater I almost walked out. What a rubbish film. OHMSS is on now. What a stupid voice dubbing of Bond imitating Sir Hillary. It was laughable. How come a secret agent such as Bond never wears a bullet proof vest and always gives his real name?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:How come a secret agent such as Bond never wears a bullet proof vest and always gives his real name?
Not always. He sometimes uses aliases (James Stock, Robert Stirling etc). And wouldn't a bulletproof vest under a tux be a bit of a giveaway?
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

Lazenby only found out he'd been dubbed when he saw the finished film and he wasn't very happy about it. It doesn't really affect my enjoyment. I still think it's the best James Bond film.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Radioactive wild boars turn up in Italy
4 hrs ago
Samples taken from 27 wild boars in northern Italy have revealed the animals to be radioactive: Traces of the radioactive isotope cesium-137 exceeded the legal limit by ten times. We have so many questions, the most pressing of which is: Is wild-boar testing a thing in Italy? Testing for what, freshness? Anyway, experts think the most likely cause for the contaminated boars is radioactive fallout from Chernobyl, and the Italian government will be expanding its testing to soil, water, deer and rabbits from the area.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

bjmdds wrote:Radioactive wild boars turn up in Italy
4 hrs ago
Samples taken from 27 wild boars in northern Italy have revealed the animals to be radioactive: Traces of the radioactive isotope cesium-137 exceeded the legal limit by ten times. We have so many questions, the most pressing of which is: Is wild-boar testing a thing in Italy? Testing for what, freshness? Anyway, experts think the most likely cause for the contaminated boars is radioactive fallout from Chernobyl, and the Italian government will be expanding its testing to soil, water, deer and rabbits from the area.
Perhaps the hogs were acting odd. Was there another story in last week or so about pigs drowning themselves?
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:
bjmdds wrote:How come a secret agent such as Bond never wears a bullet proof vest and always gives his real name?
Not always. He sometimes uses aliases (James Stock, Robert Stirling etc). And wouldn't a bulletproof vest under a tux be a bit of a giveaway?
Not when he is undercover as a club bouncer as Daniel perpetually is. ;)
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

James wrote:Lazenby only found out he'd been dubbed when he saw the finished film and he wasn't very happy about it. It doesn't really affect my enjoyment. I still think it's the best James Bond film.
First few times watching OHMSS I didn't notice he was dubbed which was quite common in the early films.
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Blowfeld wrote:
James wrote:Lazenby only found out he'd been dubbed when he saw the finished film and he wasn't very happy about it. It doesn't really affect my enjoyment. I still think it's the best James Bond film.
First few times watching OHMSS I didn't notice he was dubbed which was quite common in the early films.
George Baker might have been Bond himself according to this;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... -Bond.html
Bring back Bond!