The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:Or more accurately, what P&W's Bond does. This business of describing him as an assassin started in the Brosnan era.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Once again, you're right!
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

License to kill may be the closest before the modern era of “assassin”. In the books and short stories he was sent to take care of drug dealers and such, he knew he was a killer but just watch TLD that’s how he was, where Craig his creepy and coldly indifferent when the women that get close to him die. Bond of the movie and books before were bothered by the death and he often put himself and mission in danger to save them. Craig is just short of pulling the trigger himself.
What’s weird is how after CR the fanboys wanted to hang detective title on Craig when he was one of the most ham fisted run through the wall pull a nail out of his shoulder muscle bound stunt men ever plus the bonus of his Mr grinch grin at the bomb on the fuel truck in another one of his botched assignments. Another thing that bothered me about CR, at that time we were supposed to believe bond went from bond a complete f’up to Connery . This was bond begins after all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote: Another thing that bothered me about CR, at that time we were supposed to believe bond went from bond a complete f’up to Connery . This was bond begins after all
So true, it's one thing to be a bit unpolished, but another altogether to be a complete moron. Plus you have to figure one doesn't just walk in to MI6 and become a 00, you'd start off at a lower level then work your way up. On top of all that, we're meant to believe Bond had no idea of his true self at this stage, he's just discovering his tastes and connoisseur-ship, putting together his likes and dislikes at the ripe old age of 40?!
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

dirtybenny wrote: So true, it's one thing to be a bit unpolished, but another altogether to be a complete moron. Plus you have to figure one doesn't just walk in to MI6 and become a 00, you'd start off at a lower level then work your way up. On top of all that, we're meant to believe Bond had no idea of his true self at this stage, he's just discovering his tastes and connoisseur-ship, putting together his likes and dislikes at the ripe old age of 40?!
It was like he retired from the post office and decided to try out spying. Aside from everything wrong with Craig, bond as written in CR can not go from f’ing up every mission to one of the top agents, ever. If he were SAS he would have been the guy who accidentally fragged the captain and got everyone else killed by giving away their position (reboot had him as SAS until studio got scared about changing the navy service)

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Crap, my new phone is not liking this app at all.
Anyway if CR has been a young actor as bond I think it might have been more believable, but the anti-bond who is Bond theme they had ( do I look like I give a d**n) was a real problem. We’ve had more original and better “origin” stories in the last 10 or so years that figured out how to play into well know characters as younger versions of themselves, all done with a lot of consideration for the original actors and sometimes source material . Craig doesn’t even try to be anyone’s version of Bond, the only nods to true bond we got are for nostalgia homages.

At this point I truly believe he is running out the clock just to get to say he was the longest running bond to kind of snub the ones who dared point out he sucks and displace roger Moore. Whichever he hates more I guess.

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

[video][/video] Typical Matt Helm film. I recorded and watched all 4 this week. A fifth was never made, The Ravagers, because Dean Martin wanted Sharon Tate back in the film but Manson did her in and he refused to do his 5th. He supposedly received a percentage of the gross of his films vs. Connery's deal with Saltzman and Broccoli. This was Chuck Norris' film debut too.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Some excellent points Big O, he's as if Gomer Pyle decided to join the CIA. The whole origin aspect of CR was so half baked as if EON were afraid to go all the way with it, I believe that's why we've had to put up with that motif over the past 4 films, they just can't let it go because they keep cocking it up!

As to Craig sticking around I think you have a point but I would ascribe that to EON specifically Babzy and her fetish for rough and bumpy albinos and perhaps as an F.U. to the classic fans and maybe even her father. Craig on the other hand was made an offer he couldn't refuse and as he said in the "slash my wrists" interview coming back for the payday.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Does anyone know if the CR origin story lines up with John Pearson's authorised biography of Bond? I have read it, but it was many years ago, and I don't remember many of the details.

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Just...no: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... l_facebook

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Ok, let’s give a sexual predator a platform to be a predator again with studio backing and a way to subtly put it out there he is unjustly accused victims be damned. Yay good old Hollywood!
Place the Picard facepalm emoji here.

Last edited by Omega on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

It's quite serendipitous how Polanski's story is now mentioned here just after I posted his murdered wife Sharon Tate's video in Matt Helm above :!:
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

“Everyone is trying to back this movement, mainly out of fear,” said Polanski. “I think it’s total hypocrisy.”

Says the man who confessed to having sex with a 13 year old! Yes Hollywood is full of child molesting hypocrites, going back to the inception of the film industry, but that doesn't excuse your behavior! "Yeah I molested a girl but everybody's doing it."

She was 13, had she been 17 maybe, just maybe you'd have half a leg to stand on, but 13 is still a child, barely even out of puberty, this is just sick!
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Just looked at my signature and realized today is my 5 year anniversary here! Thank you all for the stimulating conversation and especially for putting up with my long form rants no matter how mediocre! :cheers: :007:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

You said it DB :!: :martini:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:“Everyone is trying to back this movement, mainly out of fear,” said Polanski. “I think it’s total hypocrisy.”
Or maybe, y'know, they actually believe that sexual assault and paedophilia are wrong?

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

That’s not been the case in Roman Polansky‘s experience.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:That’s not been the case in Roman Polansky‘s experience.

I think the tide is finally turning. Better late than never.

Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

dirtybenny wrote:Just looked at my signature and realized today is my 5 year anniversary here! Thank you all for the stimulating conversation and especially for putting up with my long form rants no matter how mediocre! :cheers: :007:
I'd say your rants are anything but mediocre. :cheers:
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Thank you very much for the kind words V, you don't know how much they mean to me! :cheers:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Kristatos wrote:Does anyone know if the CR origin story lines up with John Pearson's authorised biography of Bond? I have read it, but it was many years ago, and I don't remember many of the details.

I had a look at The Bond Files by Andy Lane and Paul Simpson. It says that the Pearson book has Bond born in 1920, joining the SIS in 1937, leaving between 1947-50 to work for a French bank. The OO section was founded by M in 1950.

I don't know how this corresponds with Craig's bizarre movie Bond character.