The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Veronica »

Omega wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:10 am
Veronica wrote:
dirtybenny wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:29 pm
bjmdds wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:31 pm Brosnan was disappointed when he found out that he wouldn’t be returning after 2002’s Die Another Day. “I was in the Bahamas, working on a movie called After the Sunset, and my agents called me up and said, ‘Negotiations have stopped,’” Brosnan recalled. “‘[Producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson] are not quite sure what they want to do. They’ll call you next Thursday.’ I sat in Richard Harris’ house in the Bahamas, and Barbara and Michael were on the line — ‘We’re so sorry.’ She was crying, Michael was stoic and he said, ‘You were a great James Bond. Thank you very much,’ and I said, ‘Thank you very much. Goodbye.’ That was it. I was utterly shocked and just kicked to the curb with the way it went down.” https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/pie ... ond-movies
I've heard this story before but got to say, Babz crying, now that's rich! Isn't she the one who demanded Brozza be canned so she could give her boy toy Dan the role? Look I get you don't want to be cold and just say "Duces, catch you on the flippity flop!" But come on turning on the waterworks and sobbing crocodile tears just makes you out to be a sociopath.
"I am giving you the boot because I want to but am craying over it" is just an odd scenario all around. Can't imagine it myself.
This has been retold so many times. Knowing what we know now Babs was the only driving factor firing brosnan and was already promising the role to Craig.
Obviously the pr machine polished this up, changed cackling like a maniac to was crying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If I recall correctly even after the whole phone call debacle the studio was trying to patch things up with Brosnan?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Veronica wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:40 pm I am wondering, what's the performance that made Craig unanimously thought of as "the best actor to play Bond"?
Supposedly, it was Layer Cake. I've seen Layer Cake, and quite enjoyed it, but it didn't scream "potential James Bond" to me, even though Craig gave basically the same performance that he did in his "Bond" films.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Kristatos wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:50 pm
Veronica wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:40 pm I am wondering, what's the performance that made Craig unanimously thought of as "the best actor to play Bond"?
Supposedly, it was Layer Cake. I've seen Layer Cake, and quite enjoyed it, but it didn't scream "potential James Bond" to me, even though Craig gave basically the same performance that he did in his "Bond" films.
I'd say that's the reason it didn't scream "potential James Bond" to you :lol:

But in general, even critics who didn't really like Craig as Bond tuted him as "by far the most talented actor to play the character" which always made me think I must be missing something. Although I guess they could have just been going with the flow since for a time it was a sacrilege to say anything less than 100% positive about either his acting or his Bond movies.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

A local radio station today discussed new Broadway shows and when they mentioned Macbecccccccccch, they started laughing with the theatre critic. He gave it only "1" star and said he cannot believe anyone would spend $300 a ticket to see such a mess and said Cr-egg reminded him of Al Bundy's character on the old sitcom Married With Children!
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Speaking at the opening night of Craig's Broadway production of Macbeth, Broccoli told Variety that "it's going to take some time" for a new Bond! :shock: :hair: "It's a big decision," Broccoli said. "It's not just casting a role. It's about a whole rethink about where we're going. I'm just here celebrating one of the greatest actors on the planet, Daniel Craig." :hair: :hair: :hair: :hair: :hair: “He has an amazing range and he can do anything,” Broccoli said of Craig. “He’s just the greatest actor ever, and I think audiences will be thrilled by this portrayal because he’s funny, he’s dangerous, he’s all the things you would want. Together — he and Ruth — it’s just sexy… The chemistry between the two of them, the volatility, it’s like fireworks and it’s fun and sexy and there’s lots of blood.”------ This woman is a mentally unstable psychotic! CR-EGG is on her mind now, not Bond? :!: She is in need of serious psychological counseling and an intervention by her family. Bezos will have issues with her refusal to let the cabbage head go already and move on! https://variety.com/2022/film/news/barb ... 235254646/
Last edited by bjmdds on Wed May 04, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Speaking at the opening night of Craig's Broadway production of Macbeth, Broccoli told Variety that "it's going to take some time" for a new Bond! :shock: :hair: "It's a big decision," Broccoli said. "It's not just casting a role. It's about a whole rethink about where we're going. I'm just here celebrating one of the greatest actors on the planet, Daniel Craig." :hair: :hair: :hair: :hair: :hair:
Not the first time she's said this. In fact, I suspect they're quoting from the same interview.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

RIP Ric Parnell, who played drummer Mick Shrimpton in This Is Spinal Tap. In a case of life imitating art, a cause of death has not been established. I'm going to go with "bizarre gardening accident":

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... SApp_Other

dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

bjmdds wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:24 pm I'm just here celebrating one of the greatest actors on the planet, Daniel Craig." :hair: :hair: :hair: :hair: :hair: “He has an amazing range and he can do anything,” Broccoli said of Craig. “He’s just the greatest actor ever...
Wow! Talk about deranged, hyperbole much? Such range, from disinterested to palpably bored! Reading these statements after hearing the reviews of this turkey of a production is just plain hilarious.

BJ, of course she's dragging her feet on casting a new Bond, it took her the 4 years between SP to NTTD just to get started writing the film and that was only because they had to start shooting! How fast do you think she's going to move forward in replacing her big crush?
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Bezos cannot allow Broccoli's obsession with the reject from the Addams Family to affect HIS takeover of the company. Even the famous Sigmund Freud, after evaluating Broccoli's sanity, would have written on her chart, LUNATIC, and would have had her committed, with a straitjacket, and heavy medications, to cure this 'obsessive-compulsive Cr-egg disorder'. (OCCD)
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Martin Campbell told CinemaBlend the reason why Henry Cavill apparently didn’t make the cut: "I did test him for Bond, as you know. He did a very good test, [but] he was too young, and also he wasn’t as experienced as Daniel … Daniel just fitted the part from being a superb actor, and probably the best actor amongst them all." https://www.cinemablend.com/interviews/ ... s-director
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Here is an exclusive look at Barbara's work on casting the next James Bond:

Bring back Bond!
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

bjmdds wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:44 pm Martin Campbell told CinemaBlend the reason why Henry Cavill apparently didn’t make the cut: "I did test him for Bond, as you know. He did a very good test, [but] he was too young, and also he wasn’t as experienced as Daniel … Daniel just fitted the part from being a superb actor, and probably the best actor amongst them all" https://www.cinemablend.com/interviews/ ... s-director
If I had a nickle for every time I've heard this... I'd be in the Maldives right now.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Veronica wrote:
Omega wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:10 am
Veronica wrote:
dirtybenny wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:29 pm
bjmdds wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:31 pm Brosnan was disappointed when he found out that he wouldn’t be returning after 2002’s Die Another Day. “I was in the Bahamas, working on a movie called After the Sunset, and my agents called me up and said, ‘Negotiations have stopped,’” Brosnan recalled. “‘[Producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson] are not quite sure what they want to do. They’ll call you next Thursday.’ I sat in Richard Harris’ house in the Bahamas, and Barbara and Michael were on the line — ‘We’re so sorry.’ She was crying, Michael was stoic and he said, ‘You were a great James Bond. Thank you very much,’ and I said, ‘Thank you very much. Goodbye.’ That was it. I was utterly shocked and just kicked to the curb with the way it went down.” https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/pie ... ond-movies
I've heard this story before but got to say, Babz crying, now that's rich! Isn't she the one who demanded Brozza be canned so she could give her boy toy Dan the role? Look I get you don't want to be cold and just say "Duces, catch you on the flippity flop!" But come on turning on the waterworks and sobbing crocodile tears just makes you out to be a sociopath.
"I am giving you the boot because I want to but am craying over it" is just an odd scenario all around. Can't imagine it myself.
This has been retold so many times. Knowing what we know now Babs was the only driving factor firing brosnan and was already promising the role to Craig.
Obviously the pr machine polished this up, changed cackling like a maniac to was crying.

If I recall correctly even after the whole phone call debacle the studio was trying to patch things up with Brosnan?
Well Sony was talking to brosnan right before Craig was officially announced. Mgw wasn’t sold on Craig. It was pretty much Babs all the way from the moment she got control of eon when her mother died 2004.
They did emergency reimagining of Craig’s looks to find anything that works ending up take on a Steve McQueen look.
Early test photos released to the press didn’t go over well. Look at the evolution of the boat launch sea sick introduction then a few months later the cast photos where he just looks awkward , then right before filming the spray tan and scowling face trying to look like McQueen.

............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Veronica wrote:
Kristatos wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:50 pm
I'd say that's the reason it didn't scream "potential James Bond" to you :lol:

But in general, even critics who didn't really like Craig as Bond tuted him as "by far the most talented actor to play the character" which always made me think I must be missing something. Although I guess they could have just been going with the flow since for a time it was a sacrilege to say anything less than 100% positive about either his acting or his Bond movies.
I think it was required to use that bit of pr in critical reviews to get legitimacy. Best most talented of the group, I think Craig’s career speaks against it.
Pure acting chops it would be Dalton who has proved it on stage and in movies before and after bond. Connery would possibly be underrated because
he created who James Bond is in the mind of the public to this day it’s his imagining of Bond that people recognize. Maybe it looked so easy I think people assume it was just Connery being Connery.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

carl stromberg wrote:Here is an exclusive look at Barbara's work on casting the next James Bond:

No, it’s not blank she scribbled Mrs. Daniel Craig all over the page, flows with blushing bride on her honeymoon

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

dirtybenny wrote:
bjmdds wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:24 pm I'm just here celebrating one of the greatest actors on the planet, Daniel Craig." :hair: :hair: :hair: :hair: :hair: “He has an amazing range and he can do anything,” Broccoli said of Craig. “He’s just the greatest actor ever...
Wow! Talk about deranged, hyperbole much? Such range, from disinterested to palpably bored! Reading these statements after hearing the reviews of this turkey of a production is just plain hilarious.

BJ, of course she's dragging her feet on casting a new Bond, it took her the 4 years between SP to NTTD just to get started writing the film and that was only because they had to start shooting! How fast do you think she's going to move forward in replacing her big crush?
I think she actually is surprised the industry in the form of awards didn’t just nominate Craig for every category then have a moment of silence for his outing as bond.
Fans too had enough of Craig and her take on bond except for a chosen few the average movie goer and fans were ready for something fresh from eon.

I think like lazenby and Dalton, had Craig cut his run short with either exiting on CR or skyfall their would be room to mythologize his time as bond. the fact he lingered on so long submitting mediocre film after mediocre film, directly flying in the face of the original bond myth, ruined any chance of having a lasting impact on the series or Hollywood. Hell the rewrites to the reason behind them ruined his previous films

dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:07 pm
I think she actually is surprised the industry in the form of awards didn’t just nominate Craig for every category then have a moment of silence for his outing as bond.
Fans too had enough of Craig and her take on bond except for a chosen few the average movie goer and fans were ready for something fresh from eon.

I think like lazenby and Dalton, had Craig cut his run short with either exiting on CR or skyfall their would be room to mythologize his time as bond. the fact he lingered on so long submitting mediocre film after mediocre film, directly flying in the face of the original bond myth, ruined any chance of having a lasting impact on the series or Hollywood. Hell the rewrites to the reason behind them ruined his previous films
Spot on big O, had Craig walked away after SF we wouldn't hear the end of "what if's" from the Craigskis, instead the gang at EON decided to prove the failings of QOS were no fluke. What's the old saying? "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt." And as you say, the retconning in the last two films destroys what little magic the previous 2 "good" movies had to offer.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Or as cubby like to say always leave them wanting more. Which I think his series did, there were a few low spots but nothing the ruined the previous movies with new revelations.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

RIP Kenneth Tsang, who played General Moon in DAD.

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/article ... g?id=05047

kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

Not Bond related but Dennis Waterman, too.
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol: