The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

[video][/video] The more things change, the more they stay the same :!: Hollywood never learns :!: I guess they realize that movie plots of the past are far better than the current barrage of trash being churned out. What politics will they inject into Mary Poppins :?: :!: Just wait and see :!:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Full list of winners: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/osca ... ign=buffer

Nice to see Blade Runner 2049 snag a couple.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Omega wrote:But is there really a point to the oscars anymore? Hand picked art house films nobody cares about and mainstream films ignored. Although they might try to make a big deal about black panther next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Oscars got worse and worse after 2004 (where LOTR3 won everything).
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Full list of winners: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/osca ... ign=buffer

Nice to see Blade Runner 2049 snag a couple.
I think it deserved some recognition, although I thought War for the Planet of the Apes might have better visuals.

I’m surprised Oldman won, I do think he deserves it, he has consistently been a great character actor for decades and decades.
I’m just surprised he won for Churchill, thought the PC police would never allow it. How did the Darkest Hour do in the UK awards?

Some are trying to smear oldman because of supposed abuse, I don’t disbelieve it I just don’t assume it wasn’t posturing for a divorce settlement. If oldman has a history of abuse it’ll come out from another wife (he has many former wives) sooner or later.
Hell fall down drunk Depp has JK Rowling defending him keeping him working. It’s the problem with the #metoo movement, some of these allegations are not meant to be part of it, they were private battles over money. Some starlets might have to find a new angle to get favorable terms because their once wealthy ex’s might be blackballed because of their false allegations making them
Unable to pay the alimony, or worse she’ll have to support him.

I doubt in this atmosphere Connery will ever be honored. I have mixed feeling about it, he did what he did and said what he said. But he was not like a lot of his peers who abused everyone around them just because.

Back to the awards, I didn’t think Dunkirk deserved the sound editing and mixing Oscar. The sound didn’t impress me more than any other war movie. Editing yes, but not the usual credit for editing since it’s actually a huge directing challenge because the story is out of sync telling several different stories at the same time with each main character/group getting their own time line. I’m not sure the voting members get the difference. Also why is this Nolan’s first directing nomination?

I’m glad Last Jedi didn’t win anything because it was no better in the categories it was nominated for than any other Star Wars movie.

Shape of water? I can’t tell what the hell its supposed to be about. Del Toro is a great director who usually be snubbed for his low brow movies like pacific rim, blade 2, hellboy, although I remember Pans labyrinth being celebrated.

............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Maybe. I’m not sure when it became meaningless. It may be just with the invention of campaigning for the awards, although it might not be a new a idea as I think it is. My impression is since the late 90s campaigning for the award became common place and Buying influence with the voters was the way to get them.

Return of the king was one of the rare times a popular film was recognized for the complexity and effort that went into making it.

How the hell did Hurt Locker beat out Avatar? looking back only Avatar is going to be watched over and over in the next 100 years.
Kind of weird thinking about it now, Avatar was the big savior of the movie industry, big BO, big Blu-ray sales, and it made 3D movies important. Except 9 years later and nobody cares about 3D, and we are still waiting on the sequels which will be a big deal if they release them on UHD 4k blu-ray. I do admit the 3D Avatar is an experience but it’s almost like a special feature for that film. Hobbit and pacific rim are also cool in 3D but not mind blowing like Avatar was.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Last night’s ceremony drew a 18.9 Live+Same Day rating in the metered market households. That was off 16% from last year’s 22.4 rating, which was a nine-year low. The 18.9 appears to be an "all-time low for the Oscars", :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: below the previous low ratings point, logged with the 2008 telecast (21.9), hosted by Jon Stewart, when No Country For Old Men won Best Picture.-----------It has been said here, on this magnificent forum for years, that the more Hollywood pushes their PC agendas, the more it will suffer, as it was proven out by the historically low ratings last night :!: :clap: Nobody cares what these spoiled, highly uneducated losers think about, and these anti-male, anti-white, liberal agendas are losing steam by the day as society is now tuning out the BS being spewed daily by the media against the silent majority of this country. The worm has now turned, as we go Back To The Future :!: ---------the overall reviews of the show overwhelmingly found Kimmel and the Oscars boring too. :ROFL:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Omega wrote:But is there really a point to the oscars anymore? Hand picked art house films nobody cares about and mainstream films ignored. Although they might try to make a big deal about black panther next year.

FBF, how about you hosting the show next year :!:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

We’ll see what the total viewership is, not surprised if fell but I think it’s because more people see the awards as unimportant, possibly not as entertaining too.
Political talk probably hurt ratings too. This year it seemed more in the face of the average people who actually buy the tickets supporting the movie industry.

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Also, I think it's a bit misleading to compare overnights to a ceremony from 10 years ago. Viewing habits have changed a lot over the last decade.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

People are fed up with Hollywood..........a mute falling in love with The Creature From The Black Lagoon wins best picture? :shock: Who spends money to see this? [video][/video]
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:People are fed up with Hollywood..........a mute falling in love with The Creature From The Black Lagoon wins best picture? :shock: Who spends money to see this?
Roughly 6 million people more than paid to see that Sean Hannity religious movie you tried to pretend was a massive hit. (Source: Box Office Mojo, US & Canada only, based on estimated ticket sales).
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Last night’s ceremony, which aired live from 8 PM – 11:54 PM EST, averaged 26.5 million viewers (Live+same day) . That was down "19%" from last year’s 32.9 million viewers, a nine-year low :!: The drop is big — the Oscars had never fallen below 32 million viewers and 21 metered markets household rating before, forcing pundits to scratch their heads. Here are the final viewership totals for the Academy Awards so far this century, what won Best Picture that year and who hosted:

2018 26.5 million, The Shape of Water (Jimmy Kimmel)
2017 32.9 million, Moonlight (Jimmy Kimmel)
2016 34.4 million, Spotlight (Chris Rock)
2015 37.3 million, Birdman (Neil Patrick Harris)
2014 43.7 million, 12 Years a Slave (Ellen DeGeneres)
2013 40.3 million, Argo (Seth MacFarlane)
2012 39.3 million, The Artist (Billy Crystal)
2011 37.9 million, The King’s Speech (Anne Hathaway/James Franco)
2010 41.3 million, The Hurt Locker (Steve Martin/Alec Baldwin)
2009 36.3 million, Slumdog Millionaire (Hugh Jackman)
2008 32.0 million, No Country For Old Men (Jon Stewart)
2007 40. 2 million, The Departed (Ellen DeGeneres)
2006 38.9 million, Crash (Jon Stewart)
2005 42.1 million, Million Dollar Baby (Chris Rock)
2004 43.5 million, The Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King (Billy Crystal)
2003 33.0 million, Chicago (Steve Martin)
2002 41.8 million, A Beautiful Mind (Whoopi Goldberg)
2001 42.9 million, Gladiator (Steve Martin)
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I thought Billy Crystal had hosted more times than that.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote:
bjmdds wrote:People are fed up with Hollywood..........a mute falling in love with The Creature From The Black Lagoon wins best picture? :shock: Who spends money to see this?
Roughly 6 million people more than paid to see that Sean Hannity religious movie you tried to pretend was a massive hit. (Source: Box Office Mojo, US & Canada only, based on estimated ticket sales).
Show me where I proclaimed Let There Be Light to be a massive hit. Compared to Clooney's Suburbicon that cycle, it was, as I stated then.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Here's Hollywood hypocrisy:The Kobe Bryant sexual assault case began in July 2003 when the news media reported that the sheriff's office in Eagle, Colorado had arrested professional basketball player Kobe Bryant in connection with an investigation of a sexual assault complaint filed by a 19-year-old hotel employee. Bryant had checked into The Lodge and Spa at Cordillera, a hotel in Edwards, Colorado, on June 30 in advance of having surgery near there on July 2 under Dr. Richard Steadman. The woman accused Bryant of raping her in his hotel room on July 1, the night before the surgery. Bryant admitted to an adulterous sexual encounter with his accuser, but denied the assault allegation. The case was dropped after Bryant's accuser refused to testify in the case. A separate civil suit was later filed against Bryant by the woman. This was settled out of court and included Bryant's publicly apologizing to his accuser, though admitting no guilt on his part.........now, Kobe Bryant won one Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film in 2018 :!: :shock: Where is the outrage from #metoo? Casey Affleck was thrown off this show :!: Casey Affleck, best actor winner from last year's Oscars, will not present the best actress award, breaking ceremony tradition. Usually at the Academy Awards, the previous year winner of the opposite gender category will present the Best Actor/Actress award. Affleck withdrew from being a presenter in January, "reportedly to avoid becoming a distraction due to two sexual harassment lawsuits he previously settled with the producer and cinematographer of his 2010 film I’m Still Here," Variety reports. The outlet added that he will be replaced with Jennifer Lawrence and Jodie Foster. Proof positive as to what is going on here folks :!: Atticus, your thoughts are welcome here. Image
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote:I thought Billy Crystal had hosted more times than that.
Crystal hosted the Academy Awards broadcast in 1990–1993, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004 and 2012. The above list states it's for only this century, from 2001 and on.
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

I'll just say this about the Oscars, me too, etc.

I find it ironic that Hollywood "discovers" they have a rampant problem with rape, sexual misconduct and mistreatment of women in general, but feel the need to preach to us the audience on the subject.
:Bonk:
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Also, I think it's a bit misleading to compare overnights to a ceremony from 10 years ago. Viewing habits have changed a lot over the last decade.
I agree but they can count the online viewers even more accurately than traditional TV viewership.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:Last night’s ceremony, which aired live from 8 PM – 11:54 PM EST, averaged 26.5 million viewers (Live+same day) . That was down "19%" from last year’s 32.9 million viewers, a nine-year low :!: The drop is big — the Oscars had never fallen below 32 million viewers and 21 metered markets household rating before, forcing pundits to scratch their heads. Here are the final viewership totals for the Academy Awards so far this century, what won Best Picture that year and who hosted:

2018 26.5 million, The Shape of Water (Jimmy Kimmel)
2017 32.9 million, Moonlight (Jimmy Kimmel)
2016 34.4 million, Spotlight (Chris Rock)
2015 37.3 million, Birdman (Neil Patrick Harris)
2014 43.7 million, 12 Years a Slave (Ellen DeGeneres)
2013 40.3 million, Argo (Seth MacFarlane)
2012 39.3 million, The Artist (Billy Crystal)
2011 37.9 million, The King’s Speech (Anne Hathaway/James Franco)
2010 41.3 million, The Hurt Locker (Steve Martin/Alec Baldwin)
2009 36.3 million, Slumdog Millionaire (Hugh Jackman)
2008 32.0 million, No Country For Old Men (Jon Stewart)
2007 40. 2 million, The Departed (Ellen DeGeneres)
2006 38.9 million, Crash (Jon Stewart)
2005 42.1 million, Million Dollar Baby (Chris Rock)
2004 43.5 million, The Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King (Billy Crystal)
2003 33.0 million, Chicago (Steve Martin)
2002 41.8 million, A Beautiful Mind (Whoopi Goldberg)
2001 42.9 million, Gladiator (Steve Martin)
ok yep that’s a bad drop. But it has been in steady decline since the high water mark 2014

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Chris Rock wishes for more dead white children and more crying white mothers, with NO media outrage :!: ---------Kobe Bryant wins an Oscar :!: ------------we all see the sheer hypocrisy of the lousy and disgusting left-wing liberal media in this country, and when illiterates in Hollywood try to lecture the rest of us, they are only destroying their own product, and they are totally clueless it is even happening :!: As I have said many times, there is a culture war taking place here and people will have to take sides. Politics has been interjected into every single movie and tv show, for the most part, and it has even permeated sports :!: The results: drop in NFL ratings, tv ratings, and sporting event attendances. Since when is insulting the national flag here acceptable? The NFL found out that answer the hard way. Liberalism is now destroying itself by going too far in ridiculous agendas. Liberals love to use the phrase 'a teaching moment' as one of their mantras. Guess what, the rest of us are starting to give them a crash course in the realities of what is truly important in our daily lives :!: I hope Broccoli has learned from this, but I doubt it.