The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

Former Bond star Brosnan has spoken out, revealing he doesn’t think the MeToo movement will have an effect on the 007 franchise. “I think Bond will continue in the same vein."

“I would suspect so, because men will continue to be men and women likewise."

“One hopes there will be more respect between the genders.” Director Danny Boyle is working on Bond 25’s script with Trainspotting scribe John Hodge and he’s hinted at a progressive handling of the Bond girls. :hair:
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

bjmdds wrote:Former Bond star Brosnan has spoken out, revealing he doesn’t think the MeToo movement will have an effect on the 007 franchise. “I think Bond will continue in the same vein."

“I would suspect so, because men will continue to be men and women likewise."

“One hopes there will be more respect between the genders.” Director Danny Boyle is working on Bond 25’s script with Trainspotting scribe John Hodge and he’s hinted at a progressive handling of the Bond girls. :hair:
Yay?

LOL.

I am currently reading Lawrence Wright's book about Scientology and the current bit is about Paul Haggis.
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Director Danny Boyle is working on Bond 25’s script with Trainspotting scribe John Hodge and he’s hinted at a progressive handling of the Bond girls.
Let me guess, they won't be your traditional Bond girl, but will be feisty independent women. Gosh, how original. Sarcasm aside, have any Bond women ever been this mythical helpless damsel in distress? The only one I can think of is Stacey Sutton, who is probably the least-liked Bond girl for precisely that reason.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Director Danny Boyle is working on Bond 25’s script with Trainspotting scribe John Hodge and he’s hinted at a progressive handling of the Bond girls.
Let me guess, they won't be your traditional Bond girl, but will be feisty independent women. Gosh, how original. Sarcasm aside, have any Bond women ever been this mythical helpless damsel in distress? The only one I can think of is Stacey Sutton, who is probably the least-liked Bond girl for precisely that reason.

I would add Kara from The Living Daylights to the list of mythical helpless damsels, as my wife is so often to point out, Kara spends half the film saying her one line "Jaaaaaaaaaames!" as she needs rescuing.

But to your point, every film the actress du jour props herself in font of a camera and proclaims to the world, her character is a "Different kind of Bond girl!" The only difference here is, it is the director making this pronouncement rather than the girl playing "party extra #173." Now that being said, I believe Sammy boy Mendez also said something similar before Spectre and we all saw how that turned out.
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

I find it very ironic how every time we have to listen how Craig era is very progressive when it comes to women and yet...name more than one memorable Bond girl from Craig movies. The only one that sort of qualifies is misused Eva Green's Vesper. And even that is a stretch.
I still think the most memorable moment was the name of Arteton's character in QOS.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Skyfall was possibly the least progressive Bond film of all. Of the three main female characters, one doesn't even get a name, being listed in the credits as simply "Bond's Girlfriend"; M ends up dead and is replaced by a man; and Moneypenny starts the movie as a field agent and ends it behind a desk. They couldn't have done more to reassert traditional gender norms if they'd tried.

dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

I whole heartedly agree Kris. I would posit SPECTRE as a close second, between the "seduction" of Monica Bellucci's character where she literally cries, to the love interest who's such a "bad assed" assassin (because her dad was, did this happen through osmosis?) she gets captured, tied up with explosives and is so useless throughout the film I nearly forget she's there.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Oh, and I almost forgot Severine in Skyfall. I must have blotted her out of my memory. Though they would probably say that they were deliberately subverting the Bond formula by showing what an awful misogynist Bond has always been, even though I don't think he has ever been quite as callous about an innocent woman's death before (note I said innocent - Vesper Lynd and Elektra King don't count).

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I've literally just found out that Jason Statham and I share not only a birthday, but a birth date - 26th July 1967. How did I go this long without knowing that?

Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:I've literally just found out that Jason Statham and I share not only a birthday, but a birth date - 26th July 1967. How did I go this long without knowing that?

now you’ve got to go see the Meg :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

dirtybenny wrote:I whole heartedly agree Kris. I would posit SPECTRE as a close second, between the "seduction" of Monica Bellucci's character where she literally cries, to the love interest who's such a "bad assed" assassin (because her dad was, did this happen through osmosis?) she gets captured, tied up with explosives and is so useless throughout the film I nearly forget she's there.
I think it's a shame Seydoux's character was such a bland unmemorable presence throughout the film. She's a talented actress(not that she could show it anyway with such a flimsy excuse for a character) otherwise and has that je ne sai quoi like a classic frenchwoman :mrgreen:

Another problem was a painful lack of chemistry with Craig. Don't they have chemistry reads where they test if the two actors have some sizzle between them? I guess they stopped with that practice once they hired Craig.
Several people told me how they don't remember when they last saw a movie couple that had LESS chemistry than these two.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

It's time to de-Broccoli Bond :!:
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Veronica wrote:
dirtybenny wrote:I whole heartedly agree Kris. I would posit SPECTRE as a close second, between the "seduction" of Monica Bellucci's character where she literally cries, to the love interest who's such a "bad assed" assassin (because her dad was, did this happen through osmosis?) she gets captured, tied up with explosives and is so useless throughout the film I nearly forget she's there.
I think it's a shame Seydoux's character was such a bland unmemorable presence throughout the film. She's a talented actress(not that she could show it anyway with such a flimsy excuse for a character) otherwise and has that je ne sai quoi like a classic frenchwoman :mrgreen:

Another problem was a painful lack of chemistry with Craig. Don't they have chemistry reads where they test if the two actors have some sizzle between them? I guess they stopped with that practice once they hired Craig.
Several people told me how they don't remember when they last saw a movie couple that had LESS chemistry than these two.
It certainly didn't help with the whole "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you... You're my soulmate!!!!" story line. Frankly I wan't too impressed with Seydoux, I felt she was half asleep throughout the picture, but then to be honest this film is my only exposure to her so I'm sure I'm judging her unfairly and when you're having a romantic scene opposite Craig I suppose half asleep is the only way to survive it.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

dirtybenny wrote: It certainly didn't help with the whole "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you... You're my soulmate!!!!" story line. Frankly I wan't too impressed with Seydoux, I felt she was half asleep throughout the picture, but then to be honest this film is my only exposure to her so I'm sure I'm judging her unfairly and when you're having a romantic scene opposite Craig I suppose half asleep is the only way to survive it.

i was going to say Craig looks half alseep, but really he looks asleep.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Kristatos wrote:I've literally just found out that Jason Statham and I share not only a birthday, but a birth date - 26th July 1967. How did I go this long without knowing that?

I looked at Jason Statham's IMDB entry and saw his upcoming movies include "Untitled Hong Kong Action Thriller".
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Following in Lazenby's footsteps?

carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

The Earl Grey drinker is coming back:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... luc-picard
Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

Actor will play Picard in series chronicling his adventures after Next Generation

Patrick Stewart is to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard in a new series of Star Trek.

The character, who featured in Star Trek: The Next Generation and a handful of films, will return in the new CBS All Access series, which will reveal the next chapter of Picard’s life.
Bring back Bond!
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Ian Mohr:Tom Cruise’s stock is high again in Hollywood — his latest “Mission: Impossible” is such a critically lauded blockbuster, some critics said Daniel Craig should be quaking in his tux since Cruise “out-Bonds James Bond."
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Cruise doesn't out "Bond", Bond he out "Bonds" Craig!
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

carl stromberg wrote:The Earl Grey drinker is coming back:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... luc-picard
Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

Actor will play Picard in series chronicling his adventures after Next Generation

Patrick Stewart is to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard in a new series of Star Trek.

The character, who featured in Star Trek: The Next Generation and a handful of films, will return in the new CBS All Access series, which will reveal the next chapter of Picard’s life.
how? Paramount blew up that timeline. It’s a good idea but have they given up on the reboot?

Strange how much credit is given to the new movies for “revitalizing” Star Trek but none of the movies made money and none of them beat what the original movies did with tiny budgets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007: