The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
English Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, CR, TB, LALD

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by English Agent »

I went to see 'Spectre' this afternoon.........and so did a lot of other people, it was packed out at the multiplex car park....... a lot of people must of been taking time off from work!

Well to the film itself........i won't say too much about it............except to say i thought it was a pretty good film..........but also a very strange film, the tone of this film is unlike any other in the Bond series.
I actually enjoyed the second half of the movie, more than the first, probably because all the film clips released, and the talk from the critics was really all based on the first half of the film.
As the film is now playing in the UK, obviously a lot of spoilers are coming out, so by the time its released in the US and other countries, the public will know more about the film.
Surprisingly, the time went very quickly on the film, and if anything the film could of done with being a bit longer, to of explained one or two plot holes.
I thought the characters were pretty good...............and Q has a much larger role in this film..........and the plot is actually good.
The main action sequences apart from the initial sequence in Mexico, and a fantastic brutal fight scene on a train........actually arn't that engaging, particularly the car chase in Rome.........which i found disappointing.
The film has one or two quite gruesome scenes, one involving the henchman..............and there is also a torture scene in the film.............both which you would normally more likely see in a horror film............in fact some scenes had to cut from the film to get a '12' certificate in the UK.
Don't know why so much was made of Monica Belluci in the film..........coz she is literally in the film for such a short time she called of been classified as an extra.
Regarding the main villian in the film.........well you'll have to see the film.

.................and then there is DC............well he's the same as usual!

btw:- the character 'C' in the film is a right little s**t.
Last edited by English Agent on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Spending more money EA and seeing it again, or was once enough for you, being a Cr-egg fan?
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

It opened pretty big for the uk I guess but behind Skyfall "£4.1M for Spectre, £6.2M for Skyfall" some experts though it would not reach Skyfall total £103, but some are thinking "it is going to be huge". Most are predicting a bigger drop off after this week, which apparently is a holiday. British New year Golden Week? ;)

Totals to look for first week weekend will be £20.1M (skyfall friday -sunday ) -Spectre for the week £35M ?
http://deadline.com/2015/10/spectre-uk- ... 201595185/
............ :007:
English Agent

Post by English Agent »

bjmdds wrote:Spending more money EA and seeing it again, or was once enough for you, being a Cr-egg fan?
Well.......i may do, as you usually miss many things when you see a movie for the first time.

With further time to reflect, and seeing other peoples views on the film...............well i did enjoy the film, but as others have said.........people are a bit frustrated that the plot even though quite good, is also quite a bit slack........ie Mendes, and the writers tried hard, but somehow forgot to explain a few points in the film to the audience.......which is frustrating.
Basically its a bit sloppy, and not as slick as SF.............and i was quite surprised.
In the Craig era of films.........i still think CR is the best of the 4 films.............and QOS the worst in the entire series.

After watching Spectre...........difficult to gauge how the series will go from here.......the ending of the film leaves the door open for options.... and will depend a lot on who plays Bond in the next film?.............but Bond will continue in one way or another.......ive just read that the film earnings for the opening Monday evening were very high.
Last edited by English Agent on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
English Agent

Post by English Agent »

Omega wrote:It opened pretty big for the uk I guess but behind Skyfall "£4.1M for Spectre, £6.2M for Skyfall" some experts though it would not reach Skyfall total £103, but some are thinking "it is going to be huge". Most are predicting a bigger drop off after this week, which apparently is a holiday. British New year Golden Week? ;)

Totals to look for first week weekend will be £20.1M (skyfall friday -sunday ) -Spectre for the week £35M ?
Just to clarify.........Spectre was only showing at cinemas across the UK on Monday evening only..........from 8 pm roughly onwards ..........coz they had to make sure the 'Royals' saw it first, before the rest of us common folk :wink: ........whereas today and the rest of the work days, film will be playing throughout the entire day!
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Omega »

English Agent wrote:
Omega wrote:It opened pretty big for the uk I guess but behind Skyfall "£4.1M for Spectre, £6.2M for Skyfall" some experts though it would not reach Skyfall total £103, but some are thinking "it is going to be huge". Most are predicting a bigger drop off after this week, which apparently is a holiday. British New year Golden Week? ;)

Just to clarify.........Spectre was only showing at cinemas across the UK on Monday evening only..........from 8 pm roughly onwards ..........coz they had to make sure the 'Royals' saw it first, before the rest of us common folk :wink: ........whereas today and the rest of the work days, film will be playing throughout the entire day!
so your version of the Obamas had to see it first ;)

I wasn't clear on the whole timing . What holiday is being celebrated ? The story said it was a holiday week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-34647651

Anyone getting the scent of Eau D Tomorrow Never Dies? Not exactly as was shown in the 1997 Bond, but TND was my first thought, upon hearing about that story in the news.

"Well, this settles it, we send in the fleet. M, you have 48 hours to investigate."
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

English Agent wrote:There has been a lot in the UK media about Spectre in the last week, and today is the first day of previews.............i hopefully want to go and see the film tomorrow, i'am between contracts, so i can pick a more suitable time to see the film.
Anyway.........i find it confusing that one or two members here say the film is terrible, based on allegedly seeing snippets of the script................i don't know how anyone can come to that conclusion, without actually seeing the film, and the fact that no reviewer yet has said the film is terrible.........in fact its been mostly the opposite.
I do hope the film is good............and doesn't bomb.................coz if it were to, with its huge costs............then it would mean no more Bond, probably ever.......then no one here would be happy, would they?................be careful what you wish for!
EA, try to get the hint. :lol: We can't talk about what we actually know. And it's not "allegedly", did you hide under a rock when entire portions of the script were leaked in the Sony hacking dump?? And NO that is NOT a different script from the final product, which is the lie that Sony and the fanboys tried to sell in order to spin the disaster.

I won't even get into your review. Considering you're a DC fan and you always try to spin it the good way... I think the review speaks for itself. We were right. It is a terrible movie, and we say so being well aware of what the WHOLE product is about. And yes Bellucci is only there for the mandatory sex scene, essentially. And there is NO good reason WHATSOEVER why Bond should fall in love with the insipid, cardboard cut character Seydoux plays. But the writers and the idiots at the helm decided that Bond HAS to fall in love with the girl and RE plan his life in every bloody film now, so that had to happen. It's offensive how that part is written, period. And the plot is ridiculous. It's not engaging , it's highly predictable and it's not anything that hasn't been done a thousand times before. More importantly, it has NO place in a BOND film. AND they spat on what Fleming wrote, too, by inventing non existent foster brothers.

You must have missed the reviews, cause many of those who saw it in advance and were actual critics have said the film IS terrible.
"Are we on coms?"
English Agent

Post by English Agent »

Alessandra wrote:
English Agent wrote:There has been a lot in the UK media about Spectre in the last week, and today is the first day of previews.............i hopefully want to go and see the film tomorrow, i'am between contracts, so i can pick a more suitable time to see the film.
Anyway.........i find it confusing that one or two members here say the film is terrible, based on allegedly seeing snippets of the script................i don't know how anyone can come to that conclusion, without actually seeing the film, and the fact that no reviewer yet has said the film is terrible.........in fact its been mostly the opposite.
I do hope the film is good............and doesn't bomb.................coz if it were to, with its huge costs............then it would mean no more Bond, probably ever.......then no one here would be happy, would they?................be careful what you wish for!
EA, try to get the hint. :lol: We can't talk about what we actually know. And it's not "allegedly", did you hide under a rock when entire portions of the script were leaked in the Sony hacking dump?? And NO that is NOT a different script from the final product, which is the lie that Sony and the fanboys tried to sell in order to spin the disaster.

I won't even get into your review. Considering you're a DC fan and you always try to spin it the good way... I think the review speaks for itself. We were right. It is a terrible movie, and we say so being well aware of what the WHOLE product is about. And yes Bellucci is only there for the mandatory sex scene, essentially. And there is NO good reason WHATSOEVER why Bond should fall in love with the insipid, cardboard cut character Seydoux plays. But the writers and the idiots at the helm decided that Bond HAS to fall in love with the girl and RE plan his life in every bloody film now, so that had to happen. It's offensive how that part is written, period. And the plot is ridiculous. It's not engaging , it's highly predictable and it's not anything that hasn't been done a thousand times before. More importantly, it has NO place in a BOND film. AND they spat on what Fleming wrote, too, by inventing non existent foster brothers.

You must have missed the reviews, cause many of those who saw it in advance and were actual critics have said the film IS terrible.
Just a couple points 'Ale'

Your comments about judging a film solely on reading a script applies to any film.

Put it this way.....would you of been positive on a finished product of a Bond film by reading the script of Octopussy, and reading the Tarzan scene, or the Space battle scene in Moonraker...............i don't think so, and they certainly had nothing to do with Fleming's Bond.

I'am actually a Bond fan......not a Craig fan.........the difference is i can accept watching a Bond fan starring Craig!

..............and regarding the reviews you are clearly barking up the wrong tree, on regards to the general viewpoint on the film.

ok :)
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

English Agent wrote:
Alessandra wrote:

Just a couple points 'Ale'

Your comments about judging a film solely on reading a script applies to any film.

Put it this way.....would you of been positive on a finished product of a Bond film by reading the script of Octopussy, and reading the Tarzan scene, or the Space battle scene in Moonraker...............i don't think so, and they certainly had nothing to do with Fleming's Bond.

I'am actually a Bond fan......not a Craig fan.........the difference is i can accept watching a Bond fan starring Craig!

..............and regarding the reviews you are clearly barking up the wrong tree, on regards to the general viewpoint on the film.

ok :)
I write scripts. So I'm sorry to inform you, a script not only tells me perfectly if a movie is good or bad, but it tells me MORE than the movie does. I MUCH prefer reading scripts to watching movies because the script shows you things how they are supposed to be, the film is things that may be played well or badly, but it's nothing more than the script put on screen. I much prefer reading the original product, because it allows me to see what the real depth or lack thereof of a movie is. I understand that's not an exercise that someone who isn't used to it can do, but again, unfortunately for you, a lot of people are very used to reading scripts. I do it all the time for TV shows, too, and guess what? Never have I seen a script I deemed terrible turn into something even slightly decent.

And I'm not barking up any wrong tree. You purposely ignoring the fact there are terrible reviews doesn't make them disappear. You made a false statement and I corrected it. While you're certainly free to like any and everything you wish, I am equally free to dislike it. I won't say no on likes it because I dislike it. Same way you can't claim no one said the film is terrible, because you like it, when critics did and those reviews were posted on here. Nothing more than that. :D
"Are we on coms?"
English Agent

Post by English Agent »

Hi.........just a quick reply.............yes i know there are some bad reviews................even the best of films have their critics..............all i'am saying is that the general feedback on the film is mostly positive. Yes there are flaws with the film, but i enjoyed it.

Out of curiosity what do you write scripts for?.........TV, films, Plays?

One criticism i did hear from people is that they think there were too many writers for 'Spectre'.

Will you be seeing 'Spectre' out of interest?.......................maybe you could write a script for EON! :)
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

EA, I am puzzled how anyone can enjoy watching a Bond film where Blofeld is reincarnated after dying in FYEO, becomes Jimmy's childhood foster brother who hates him to the point he goes nuts and wants to ruin the world around him, yet find such a film entertaining. The plot is 100% moronic. Can you explain that to us :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :shock:
English Agent

Post by English Agent »

bjmdds wrote:EA, I am puzzled how anyone can enjoy watching a Bond film where Blofeld is reincarnated after dying in FYEO, becomes Jimmy's childhood foster brother who hates him to the point he goes nuts and wants to ruin the world around him, yet find such a film entertaining. The plot is 100% moronic. Can you explain that to us :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :shock:
I presume its part of EON's reboot plan.........in that they are supposedly trying to make films based on Bond's early years........and this time around they decided to include the origins of Spectre in this film.
Basically, i think they are trying to give us the background to the whole origin of the Bond story.............and yes it seems the films upto the end of PB's reign are not associated with this.
You will have to ask BB & MGW and the writers, why they are doing this..........i personally think they only planned to do CR as a sort of remake, or origin movie, but have since decided to apply this to all the current Craig films, and yes i think this has caused them problems, as this was probably not the original plan.
How long they continue with this, who knows, if Craig stays on i think it will continue, as he seems to be a co-producer now on the franchise.
If a new actor comes along, will they continue with the reboot thing, or go back to create stand alone stories, who knows!
I agree, it does make it very confusing to people like us who have followed the Bond franchise over the decades...........but we don't have a say in the matter.
I'am just a moviegoer like the rest of us!
Will you see the film out of curiosity 'BJ'.?
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Not in the theatres but I will watch it once and be done with it. I won't donate one dime to Broccoli's creation.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:Not in the theatres but I will watch it once and be done with it. I won't donate one dime to Broccoli's creation.
I would rather die not watching it.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

I don't understand how Bond fans - especially those who say he is "Fleming's Bond" - tolerate the rewriting of James Bond's backstory. Bond Blofeld's step brother? Fans should be furious.
English Agent wrote
I presume its part of EON's reboot plan.........in that they are supposedly trying to make films based on Bond's early years........and this time around they decided to include the origins of Spectre in this film.
If it's a Bond origins film why is a 50 year old bloke with a grey skinhead playing Bond?
English Agent

Post by English Agent »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:I don't understand how Bond fans - especially those who say he is "Fleming's Bond" - tolerate the rewriting of James Bond's backstory. Bond Blofeld's step brother? Fans should be furious.
English Agent wrote
If it's a Bond origins film why is a 50 year old bloke with a grey skinhead playing Bond?
That's a very good point.........and i'am sure many people have wondered that.........like i said yesterday..........i don't think the producers really thought out this reboot thing thoroughly, e.g. when do they come to a point where they think they have finished explaining Bonds origins?
There were a lot of references in the film Spectre to the characters of the 3 previous Bond films, trying to link them all together.
One of the better scenes in the film is how Mr White fits into all of this.

I liked the movie...........its good, but not great, with a strange feel to it i.e. this Bond film features someone having there eyes pressed into there skull :shock: ............and i would like to see a different director for the next film.
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Alessandra wrote: I write scripts. So I'm sorry to inform you, a script not only tells me perfectly if a movie is good or bad, but it tells me MORE than the movie does. I MUCH prefer reading scripts to watching movies because the script shows you things how they are supposed to be, the film is things that may be played well or badly, but it's nothing more than the script put on screen. I much prefer reading the original product, because it allows me to see what the real depth or lack thereof of a movie is.
That's a strange notion though since movies are much more than story and dialogue.

And not all films have emphasis on plot but rather on visuals and atmosphere.

I'm not talking about Spectre now of course, or TV shows, and I'm not talking about mainstream movies with famous actors, etc.

I'm talking more about so-called genre movies where the plot, or script if you like, certainly isn't the most important thing.

Even the early Bonds were of course much more than scripts.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

Count_Lippe wrote:
Alessandra wrote: I write scripts. So I'm sorry to inform you, a script not only tells me perfectly if a movie is good or bad, but it tells me MORE than the movie does. I MUCH prefer reading scripts to watching movies because the script shows you things how they are supposed to be, the film is things that may be played well or badly, but it's nothing more than the script put on screen. I much prefer reading the original product, because it allows me to see what the real depth or lack thereof of a movie is.
That's a strange notion though since movies are much more than story and dialogue.

And not all films have emphasis on plot but rather on visuals and atmosphere.

I'm not talking about Spectre now of course, or TV shows, and I'm not talking about mainstream movies with famous actors, etc.

I'm talking more about so-called genre movies where the plot, or script if you like, certainly isn't the most important thing.

Even the early Bonds were of course much more than scripts.
Bond is not an Indie movie from a visionary director where you don't have much dialogue and all is based on visual. It's not Fellini. And I'm obviously talking about mainstream movies of no matter which kind AND TV shows.
I have read the scripts for the first few Bonds and I assure you they exactly represent what's on screen. I think way too many viewers don't understand that the script IS the movie, and not much else is added to it. You CAN do a movie without a director by having the actors organize themselves, you CANNOT do a movie without a script. The script is THE most important part of a movie. There is NO fixing a horrible script, no matter how good the director is. With a great script? The director can be mediocre and the film will still be good.

Naturally because I am a writer I interpret and see things a certain way. I don't know why you say "there is much more to a movie than a script" as if it's a secondary part of it? You mean there are other things too, not "much more"? Because the script is THE most important part of a film or TV show. (again not talking about Fellini or specifically "artsy" Indie movies). Some people are fixated on the visual aspect, because they can't imagine things while reading and I understand that. AS an avid literature reader, I am the exact opposite and I'd much rather see things my own way reading a script that is how things should be and how things are in a movie, than seeing something that has been already pre packaged.
By the way, you seem to be under the wrong impression that a script only includes dialogue? That's most definitely not the case. A script includes everything, action scenes are described in detail regarding what should happen, movements actors make when fighting are described in detail, too. So for a movie like Bond, literally EVERYTHING that is in the movie is in the script.

You should read the script for the first episode of the Hawaii FIve-0 reboot on TV. It has entire pages of description for the action scenes. I read that before the series was released and I KNEW it was going to be a success. And of course, I was right. It's still airing and it's one of the very few reboots that did last a long time and made to syndication. It's made CBS make a hell of a lot of money. It takes habit and passion to be able to visualize a movie or a TV show from a script. I can do that perfectly, in fact the final product rarely differs much from what I have imagined while reading. And you can also tell whether actors are good or bad when you read a script and then see the final product. Or if actors "feel" or don't feel a certain scene. Or if they did their best job. A script tells you EVERYTHING about a movie. It's a matter of being used to reading it and interpreting it.

I will repeat: NEVER seen a movie turn out even half decent after I deemed a script terrible. The script for Spectre is one of the WORST things I have EVER read. I mean EVER. I was shocked at how ridiculous, predictable and offensive to Fleming it was. I am deeply insulted by the fact these idiots got paid millions to write this crap. Especially because there are actually talented screenwriters out there who do NOT get work, and meantime these untalented hacks are paid millions to produce a ridiculously bad, trite, incoherent script.

EA, really the EON reboot? What do they have to piss on Fleming, seriously? There is no reboot on earth for this series that can include tolerating that they RE WRITE what FLEMING wrote., period. That's for not Bond fans, that's for fanboys who know nothing about the series and who will drink up anything EON serves, Bond be damned.
I'm curious to understand why you deem White's scenes one of the best in the movie. I found that absolutely ridiculous and preposterous. A soap opera cliché exploited to desperately try to make sense of a nonsensical movie and of a group of disjointed and nonsensical movies that Craig did altogether.
"Are we on coms?"
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Alessandra wrote: I'm curious to understand why you deem White's scenes one of the best in the movie. I found that absolutely ridiculous and preposterous. A soap opera cliché exploited to desperately try to make sense of a nonsensical movie and of a group of disjointed and nonsensical movies that Craig did altogether.
I haven't posted anything about Mr White. You're mistaking me for somebody else.

And do calm down a bit will you. :lol: