The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Jason
Lieutenant

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Jason »

bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

White men who hate wokeness are the villains now in a Bond novel? You cannot have this generation calling the shots with the substance of the franchise. These left-wing authors should stay out of projects that are foreign to them and not try to change things.
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Good video, whatever your politics why would anyone want to alienate half their potential audience (or more than half in this case considering this is Bond)? This isn't a treatise on the dangers of extreme political polarization it's a fictional action adventure series. But such is the state of all things entertainment, the films will be just as blatant in their punditry soon enough.

I especially liked this passage from the book;

"Bond was struck by something. It was a long while since he’d been at any kind of function that was almost exclusively full of men. It felt strange. There was not even a pretence at diversity here. Athelstan hadn’t been the least bit concerned about ensuring that half of the people he’d hired to carry out his coup should be women, or non-white, or disabled."

I'm sorry old boy are you actually advocating for Diversity Equity and Inclusion in a right wing terror group bent on overthrowing the British government?! Time to put down the Kool-Aid and take a couple steps back from the brink my friend!
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Jason
Lieutenant

Post by Jason »

dirtybenny wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:59 pm
Good video, whatever your politics why would anyone want to alienate half their potential audience (or more than half in this case considering this is Bond)? This isn't a treatise on the dangers of extreme political polarization it's a fictional action adventure series. But such is the state of all things entertainment, the films will be just as blatant in their punditry soon enough.

I especially liked this passage from the book;

"Bond was struck by something. It was a long while since he’d been at any kind of function that was almost exclusively full of men. It felt strange. There was not even a pretence at diversity here. Athelstan hadn’t been the least bit concerned about ensuring that half of the people he’d hired to carry out his coup should be women, or non-white, or disabled."

I'm sorry old boy are you actually advocating for Diversity Equity and Inclusion in a right wing terror group bent on overthrowing the British government?! Time to put down the Kool-Aid and take a couple steps back from the brink my friend!
Spot on DB. My take away is even the "normies" recognize the franchise has turned into a colossal dumpster fire.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Yet the head of the franchise has not even begun to show her cards for what HER future Bond "FILM" (one in the next decade) will entail.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote: I'm sorry old boy are you actually advocating for Diversity Equity and Inclusion in a right wing terror group bent on overthrowing the British government?!
Not exactly, just pointing out that all-male gatherings are unusual in this day and age.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

dirtybenny wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:59 pm Athelstan hadn’t been the least bit concerned about ensuring that half of the people he’d hired to carry out his coup should be women, or non-white, or disabled."
I beg to differ Kris this line says it all, it would be as if Fleming were to have Bond comment in LALD that Mr. Big didn't have enough white gangsters in his Harlem mob!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:33 am
dirtybenny wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:59 pm Athelstan hadn’t been the least bit concerned about ensuring that half of the people he’d hired to carry out his coup should be women, or non-white, or disabled."
I beg to differ Kris this line says it all, it would be as if Fleming were to have Bond comment in LALD that Mr. Big didn't have enough white gangsters in his Harlem mob!
It's a clunky sentence to be sure, surprisingly so for a writer of Higson's ability. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but I took the tone as being slightly sardonic. Given that Higson started as a comedy writer, I would have expected something more wryly amusing, though. "Looking around the room, Bond mused that Athelstan probably hadn't been on many diversity training courses", something along those lines.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:26 pm
dirtybenny wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:33 am
It's a clunky sentence to be sure, surprisingly so for a writer of Higson's ability. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but I took the tone as being slightly sardonic. Given that Higson started as a comedy writer, I would have expected something more wryly amusing, though. "Looking around the room, Bond mused that Athelstan probably hadn't been on many diversity training courses", something along those lines.
I'll defer to your expertise Kirs, you seem to have some knowledge of this chap's work, however as you said a very clunky passage. Still, dabbling with divisive politics in your legacy adventure novel is a recipe for disaster.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:15 am I'll defer to your expertise Kirs, you seem to have some knowledge of this chap's work, however as you said a very clunky passage. Still, dabbling with divisive politics in your legacy adventure novel is a recipe for disaster.
Charlie Higson wrote the first three Young Bond novels, after having a successful career writing for British television. As for the use of current events (the plot was clearly inspired by inmate #P01135809's coup attempt in the US), I dunno. Bond books and films have drawn from topical stories in the past, but have tended to skirt around the really big events, like 9/11. Perhaps that's wise, if it leads to passages like that one.
Jedi007
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Jedi007 »

how are you doing guys
BOND sells, NOT CRAIG
The reboot is a risky area, did Eon need to do it? NO. Did this confuse alot of people? YES.
The Bond character will always be anchored in the values of the 60s
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Jedi007 wrote:how are you doing guys
Hey, Jedi, long time no see. Since 2014, according to your profile. What brings you back after such a long absence?

Jason
Lieutenant

Post by Jason »

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

We've been hearing "Christopher Nolan is going to direct Bond" rumours for about 15 years now, so forgive me if I take this latest one with a pinch of salt.

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

This will remain Charlie Higson's finest work - as Colin Hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CLWS0zi42c

Hope you are well Jedi.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

"Do you...like Tina Turner, Ted?"

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Jedi007 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:37 am how are you doing guys
9 years have past since the Jedi has returned! Where have you been all this time? The way Broccoli is running things it could be decades before another film is made!
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

Inasmuch as Nolan is at the top of fanboy wishlists(and I loved Oppenheimer) it ain’t gonna happen.
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Well, here's something I never expected to post...Pierce Brosnan with my ex-wife's cousin:

https://greekcitytimes.com/2023/09/12/p ... SIyek20lJI

kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

@ Kris:Wait.. your EX wife..wow I need to be on here more often.
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol: