The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
dirtybenny
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia with Love and all the Connery films
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:52 pm According to John Pearson's authorised biography, today is James Bond's 100th birthday. Happy birthday, James, you're looking very spry for your age.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Well, not so spry in the guise of Craig. :wink:
The Rouge Warrior, On Hermaphrodite's Secret Service Image
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote: I don't know if that is the case, but wouldn't be surprised if it was, either way I couldn't care less.
I was unconvinced, but that does sound like a non-denial denial. But as you say, who cares? Unless the ending is Nomi kills Bond, Safin escapes, and the ending implies that all the events of the "real" Bond films actually happened to Nomi. That might piss me off a bit, if I let it (which I'd try not to, because that'd mean they'd "won".)

"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote:
Kristatos wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:52 pm According to John Pearson's authorised biography, today is James Bond's 100th birthday. Happy birthday, James, you're looking very spry for your age.

Well, not so spry in the guise of Craig. :wink:
He still doesn't look 100, though. 80 at most.

Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
dirtybenny wrote: I don't know if that is the case, but wouldn't be surprised if it was, either way I couldn't care less.
I was unconvinced, but that does sound like a non-denial denial. But as you say, who cares? Unless the ending is Nomi kills Bond, Safin escapes, and the ending implies that all the events of the "real" Bond films actually happened to Nomi. That might piss me off a bit, if I let it (which I'd try not to, because that'd mean they'd "won".)

I could see that, or start the code name deal to honor the best 007 eva

Far as caring I really won’t. The Craig era is not James Bond to me. I discount every moment of it as pertaining to the series from Connery to brosnan,

My guess is a lot of this is hype to get interest in the movie. Just that they added reshoots after production was done tells me they had enough problems with it to go deeper in debt to fix them.
I could see Craig wanting a Logan ending. Either they fake his death again or they kill off James Bond to splash 007 will return at the end of the movie. I don’t think they’ll reverse it where lynch dies and Craig take up the mantle of 007 at the end of the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:31 am I don’t think they’ll reverse it where lynch dies and Craig take up the mantle of 007 at the end of the movie.
I dunno, the Craig films, for all their talk of "bringing Bond into the 21st century" etc, can be quite reactionary at times. Look at Skyfall, where Bond's treatment of Severine is as rapey as any Connery movie, while Moneypenny goes from being a field agent to a secretary.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:31 am I don’t think they’ll reverse it where lynch dies and Craig take up the mantle of 007 at the end of the movie.
I dunno, the Craig films, for all their talk of "bringing Bond into the 21st century" etc, can be quite reactionary at times. Look at Skyfall, where Bond's treatment of Severine is as rapey as any Connery movie, while Moneypenny goes from being a field agent to a secretary.

I don’t get why people ignore that. Aside from the sin of having no plan for the series eon they really got creepy in some of their enlightened era story telling. QOS was bad in its treatment of women as well. CR too.

dirtybenny
Favorite Movies: Dirty Harry, Bullitt, The Sting, LA Confidential, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep

Post by dirtybenny »

Kristatos wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:17 pm I dunno, the Craig films, for all their talk of "bringing Bond into the 21st century" etc, can be quite reactionary at times. Look at Skyfall, where Bond's treatment of Severine is as rapey as any Connery movie, while Moneypenny goes from being a field agent to a secretary.
Omega wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:20 am I don’t get why people ignore that. Aside from the sin of having no plan for the series eon they really got creepy in some of their enlightened era story telling. QOS was bad in its treatment of women as well. CR too.
Ah, ah, but gentlemen don't you understand, they outlawed the term "Bond Girl" so all that is wiped away!
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

dirtybenny wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:25 am Ah, ah, but gentlemen don't you understand, they outlawed the term "Bond Girl" so all that is wiped away!
As I recall, Cubby never liked the term "Bond girl" even 40 years ago, and would pull up anyone who used it in an interview with him, saying that they were women, not girls. That could just be because he was American, I know Americans find the British habit of referring to adult women as "girls" peculiar.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Well it was also the age of feminism so cubby had to reinvent Bond a little from where it had been when he started the series. Obviously Babs doesn’t think cubby did enough and took bond down herself and depending on how far nttd takes it she may have killed the series.

dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

Omega wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:50 am Well it was also the age of feminism so cubby had to reinvent Bond a little from where it had been when he started the series. Obviously Babs doesn’t think cubby did enough and took bond down herself and depending on how far nttd takes it she may have killed the series.
She definitely killed this film, regardless of how true these rumors and innuendos are this film will tank and Covid has nothing to do with it. Worst case it's all true possibly killing the series as Omega says. Best case, none of it is true and this was all a miserable attempt at promotion, allowing "leaks" of plot points like lady "007" and letting her actors run off at the mouth with "woke" talking points setting this film well behind the 8 ball at it's debut and not enough word of mouth in the world will save it.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Someone at Screenrant.com named Cathall Gunning wrote this lunacy: 'Dropping the focus on James Bond and broadening the remit of who can play 007 could let the spy franchise diversify the stories it can tell, and this approach could also offer a more immersive insight into the world of international espionage. Not only that, but changing the focus to 007 over James Bond would also let the Bond franchise avoid the difficulty of trying to one-up Craig’s version of the character.'---------this is the mindset of someone who does not get it. It is not about the number 007.......it is all about James Bond, who has the 007 license to kill. In Gunning's world, "Bond, James Bond", no longer is required in a "007" film. Where do they find these people on the internet to write such outlandish essays? Our "Dirty" one should teach them the correct mindset with his rants. Image
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

After a number of delays, Wonder Woman 1984 finally settled on a December 25, 2020 release date that many assumed would be final. However, amidst a wave of COVID-19 spikes across the country, sources cited in a Variety report claim the new Wonder Woman film release will go one of two ways. The first option will see WW84 continuing with its December 25 theatrical release date as planned, but also releasing on HBO Max shortly after in early January. The second, more conservative option would see the movie delayed again into summer 2021.
dirtybenny

Post by dirtybenny »

bjmdds wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:14 am Someone at Screenrant.com named Cathall Gunning wrote this lunacy: 'Dropping the focus on James Bond and broadening the remit of who can play 007 could let the spy franchise diversify the stories it can tell, and this approach could also offer a more immersive insight into the world of international espionage. Not only that, but changing the focus to 007 over James Bond would also let the Bond franchise avoid the difficulty of trying to one-up Craig’s version of the character.'---------this is the mindset of someone who does not get it. It is not about the number 007.......it is all about James Bond, who has the 007 license to kill. In Gunning's world, "Bond, James Bond", no longer is required in a "007" film. Where do they find these people on the internet to write such outlandish essays? Our "Dirty" one should teach them the correct mindset with his rants.
Precisely BJ, there are a great many films out there which "offer immersive light into the world of espionage" and if EON want to expand the tales they tell by all means give us the adventures of 008 or 006, the problem is, as The Rhythm Section showed us, nobody is interested in a non Bond EON film and that is exactly what will happen with a "Bond" film sans James Bond, an atomic bomb. People tune into Bond films to see Bond not "007" not cardboard spy 00etc. but Bond...James Bond!

As to the author's assertion on the trouble of "one upping Craig's version of the character"... shouldn't be difficult at all.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:After a number of delays, Wonder Woman 1984 finally settled on a December 25, 2020 release date that many assumed would be final. However, amidst a wave of COVID-19 spikes across the country, sources cited in a Variety report claim the new Wonder Woman film release will go one of two ways. The first option will see WW84 continuing with its December 25 theatrical release date as planned, but also releasing on HBO Max shortly after in early January. The second, more conservative option would see the movie delayed again into summer 2021.
This is the two options everyone seems to think will happen, I’m not sure hbomax is worth sacrificing the few bright spots in the DCEU. WB had thought about releasing to theaters and vod at the same time Christmas. Which I think might work out better for them.

Real reason they are considering this bo is still flatlined, only about $10 million worth of movie goers still buy tickets. Of course nothing really good has come out and people got out of the habit of going and streaming services get the money people had budgeted for movies. Question is how long will studios sit on their big movies hoping theaters make a recovery or will they try to push home video more. It really doesn’t matter to them where they get their money from, theater chains were the old market, dvds nearly replaced them until that market fell out after it was over saturated.

IMHO release movies like games are released, different levels for different buyers. I think this will actually work

kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

Well, ‘Rona has hit too close to home.My nephew and his girlfriend have it.So far,just feeling lethargic and not being able to smell/taste anything(what BJ said was happening with him.) If that’s the worst thing they have to deal with, great.
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

kater23 wrote:Well, ‘Rona has hit too close to home.My nephew and his girlfriend have it.So far,just feeling lethargic and not being able to smell/taste anything(what BJ said was happening with him.) If that’s the worst thing they have to deal with, great.
Sorry to hear it. Your folks ok?

kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

We’re fine.Have been taking all precautions. Worried, but not that much especially since it seems to be limited to a few symptoms(thank goodness!)
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

kater23 wrote:We’re fine.Have been taking all precautions. Worried, but not that much especially since it seems to be limited to a few symptoms(thank goodness!)
Hopefully they stay safe. Some people at work had it, or tested positive, but it was very mild.
My folks are worried but will not keep the grandkids away.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

kater23 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:54 pm Well, ‘Rona has hit too close to home.My nephew and his girlfriend have it.So far,just feeling lethargic and not being able to smell/taste anything(what BJ said was happening with him.) If that’s the worst thing they have to deal with, great.
I still have yet to regain my total sense of taste and smell after 8 months. My friend's daughter lives in Manhattan and she and her boyfriend have mild symptoms now and just tasted positive for Covid-19. She cannot taste things now and has a headache while her boyfriend feels crummy and has a slight fever. I can put a tablespoon of horseradish in my mouth and not get much of a reaction to it. If I was back to normal, forget it. I would require a cold glass of water on my tongue to handle that spicy taste. It is a crazy virus and now they supposedly found the antibodies in retested blood samples from Milan Italy's cancer research done in September 2019, which is much earlier than the world thought it started. Safin, aka the new Dr. No, will have a similar deadly entity in NTTD, which will make people rush to pay to see it (NOT :!: ) in fiction, after living it in real time daily life. Nobody will enjoy such a plot anywhere now. :down:
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

:happy spin: Yikes ..I usually feel like my face is going to explode even when I eat a little bit of horseradish. Extra wasabi for BJ!