The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Goldeneye »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -film.html
Time’s Up for James Bond? Movie spy’s women will now be written ‘with the modern world in mind’ rather than with ‘silly names and skimpy clothing’ according to new director Danny Boyle

Trainspotting director Danny Boyle has suggested James Bond's old sexist persona may be changed drastically in his next outing.....According to The Telegraph, Boyle will write Bond as a contemporary character with consideration to the Time's Up campaign about sexual harassment in the workplace.
For as PC as they were tying to be with Craig the female charters were even more flimsy than Brosnan's PC era. For 30 years they claim this time Bond girls are real women and it is always more of the same, maybe something more disturbing in the case of Craig's last three movies. If the last Craig outing fails (oh, please God let it be the last) they will blame the wrong thing. As critics did for Skyfall and Spectre, disappointed by the movie they blame elements of the classic Bond formula being included in the Craig action franchise.

I do not know if Danny Boyle is a good or bad choice, what I see as warning signs is Babs is still making these movies from the wrong reasons, she want some sort of prestigious recognition for being a brilliant producer. Craig makes them for the payday and to have his butt kissed by the entertainment media. They could spend the five year break between movies actually handcrafting something good, instead they'll throw together any old thing with the hope of making big money. These people lost the pride and passion of making these movies a long time ago, I truly hope all involved move on soon and let somebody who gives a d**n have a go.
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

The afternoon movie on the cruise today?The Tailor Of Panama(we're transiting the canal right now so it's timely!) :)
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

How s the cruise pizza? Is it like frozen Ellio's or real pizza?
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

It's really good-as are the hamburgers and hot dogs. #notapickyeater :D
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

What islands? You are on a boat and NYC will be hit with 10 inches of snow tomorrow :!:
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Panama Canal-Mexico,Guatemala,Nicaragua,Costa Rica,Panama(going though the Canal) just got back to the ship from exploring Cartagena Colombia. :Happy:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

How many DCINBers bother to be on Facebook?
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

kater23 wrote:Panama Canal-Mexico,Guatemala,Nicaragua,Costa Rica,Panama(going though the Canal) just got back to the ship from exploring Cartagena Colombia. :Happy:
Have you found Gilligan yet on one of those islands? :lol:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Danny Boyle is not only involved in writing the script for the next (25th) James Bond film, he’s also rumoured to be directing it, and has hinted that any Bond girl would reflect the #MeToo movement. Which sounds tricky. I’m looking forward to the seduction scene where Bond and his amour discuss the issue of consent, sign forms, stating clearly which sexual activities are permissible, and then discard their matching hipster dungarees to make wild, passionate, mutually respectful love.

I’m not mocking #MeToo; I’m mocking the idea of a woke Bond. Bond isn’t just a character any more: he’s a construct, verging on a subculture, a spy-themed homage to the vanishing world of “man’s man” wish fulfilment, where tuxedo-clad heroes womanise and shoot people, and female characters primarily exist to look sexy and impressed, albeit in a “fierce”, “challenging” kind of way.

As recently as 2012’s Skyfall, there was the infamous scene where a woman with a glass of whisky resting on her head was shot dead and Daniel Craig’s Bond quipped: “Waste of good scotch.” (Thanks, director Sam Mendes, sterling work.) While Boyle may not think like that, the (ultra-masculinist) Bond culture does. Good luck messing with that formula, Danny Boyle.

• Barbara Ellen is an Observer columnist
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

So, does Barbara Ellen think that Bond fans applauded the treatment of Severine in Skyfall? Most I know were horrified by it.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Christopher Eccleston reaffirms why he is one of my least favourite human beings. Just imagine in a few short years we will be getting very similar interviews from Daniel. Those two are cut from the same cloth.
My relationship with my three immediate superiors, the showrunner, the producer, and co-producer, broke down irreparably during the first block of filming and it never recovered. They lost trust in me and I lost faith trust and belief in them.
Eccleston left the series at the end of the first year, with his departure announced shortly after the first episode aired, but the circumstances of his departure have always been a subject of much speculation. Until now neither the actor or the production team have given their take on the issues involved.

Eccleston admitted some of the problems may have been caused by his taking on a role very different to any he hat attempted before.
Some of my anger about the situation came from my own insecurity. They employed somebody who was not a natural light comedian.
I think that if you're setting up a huge series like that the director has to be impeccable in setting the tone. Billie [Piper], who we know was and is brilliant, was very, very nervous and very, very inexperienced. So, you had that, and then you had me. Very, very experienced, possibly the most experienced on it, but out of my comfort zone.
When Eccleston left the series the BBC put out a statement saying the actor had left after fearing becoming typecast, a statement later retracted with an apology from the Corporation to the actor for not consulting him prior to issuing the statement.

Eccleston himself has never talked about his departure until now, saying he wanted to concentrate on the fact he had played the part rather than on his reasons for leaving.
When I left, I gave my word to [then-showrunner] Russell T Davies that I wouldn’t do anything to damage the show. But they did things to damage me. I didn’t criticise anybody. I didn't issue a statement.
He told the Guardian last week that the BBC had tried to damage his career.
I gave them a hit show and I left with dignity and then they put me on a blacklist. I was carrying my own insecurities as it was something I had never done before and then I was abandoned, vilified in the tabloid press and blacklisted. I was told by my agent at the time: ‘The BBC regime is against you. You’re going to have to get out of the country and wait for regime change. So I went away to America and I kept on working because that’s what my parents instilled in me. My dad always said to me: ‘I don’t care what you do – sweeping the floor or whatever you’re doing – just do the best job you can.’ I know it’s cliched and northern and all that bollocks, but it applies
To me everything Christopher Eccleston says shows his lack of professionalism, BBC are idiots just look at what they did to Top Gear I can believe they blacklisted him. However he was such a prema donna Hollywood found ways not to use him for sequels that is assuming he would ever deign to descend from mount Olympus to accept meagre offerings of mortal film producers.

I always thought he was wrong for the series and they should have used Paul McGann, I know the visceral reaction is the Television Movie was a disaster however this revisionist history by fanboys. Ratings were better than most Doctor Who specials since the show was revived. In defence of the TVM story my first witnesses will be RTD & Steven Moffat, my evidence will be dozens of completely rubbish episodes and story arcs.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

Kristatos wrote:So, does Barbara Ellen think that Bond fans applauded the treatment of Severine in Skyfall? Most I know were horrified by it.
He sounds just like Ian Fleming's 007. :roll: So perfect it hurts my brain to contemplate anyone else in the role.
Sarcasm aside we all know Ian's 007 would have tried to rescue that poor girl. Most 007s fans were rightfully horrified by this scene in Skyfall, it was a result of Barbara and Daniel's bigotry based on what they believe James Bond's attitude towards women to be. Just as Ms Ellen's bigotry leads her to a conclusion that if Bond fans do not see a woman being objectified, well we are just not having it. Part of the problem with Daniel's tenure is all of the people who never liked or understand James Bond got to have their say influencing the direction of the movies and defending the the unconscionable mistakes Barbara makes. At least Star Trek fans get some credit for loving the original series and having a point about the new movies being different from the original vision.

By the way love the Ugliest Bond as Proven by science meme Kris, I need to find the exact quote to put in my signature. :D
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Plenty of snow here. :cuss:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Plenty of snow here. :cuss:
We had a big snowstorm here a week or two back, and another smaller one a few days ago.
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Sunny and warm in the Caribbean where I am r/n :Happy:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

kater23 wrote:Sunny and warm in the Caribbean where I am r/n :Happy:
All right, don't rub it in.
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Actually Southern California is getting a bit of rain right now..which is good..lord knows we need it.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Image
Babs casting chart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

kater23 wrote:Actually Southern California is getting a bit of rain right now..which is good..lord knows we need it.
yes but the weather is fine where you are at :)

Is Snow in the UK and Europe at this time of year rare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007: