OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Brosnan or Craig?

Post by James »

Might as well do this one. I left the cinema in 1995 much happier with the new Bond than I did in 2006.
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

That's funny, because when I left the cinema in '95 I felt let down and cheated. That was not the James Bond I'd grown up with. I got used to Brosnan in Tomorrow Never Dies and The World Is Not Enough, and then reminded why I disliked his Bond again with Die Another Day.
Not the best when half your films don't measure up. But I gave him a chance, unlike some people I know.
As for Daniel Craig, brilliant debut, and obviously well received by the general public. All he has to do now is make a great follow up and he'll be set to become one of the best Bonds.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Brosnan is easily the worst Bond of the entire series.
Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

The Sweeney wrote:Craig is easily the worst Bond of the entire series.
I realised your mistake Sweeney so have rectified it for you. :wink:
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

Skywalker wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:Craig is easily the best Bond of the entire series. After Connery.
What mistake?
:lol:
Moore
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: TSWLM
TWINE
FRWL
DAD

Post by Moore »

I think the matter is out of a question. Brosnan is imo one of the best bond's and Craig... Well, Craig isn't bond...
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Brosnan. I think he had one more film in him, and would have liked to see him in a more realistic Bond film in the OHMSS/FYEO/LTK mould. I know he wanted to do it, and it's a shame he's the only Bond actor who never got the chance.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

Captain Nash wrote:
Skywalker wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:Craig is easily the best Bond after David Niven and the other 5.
What mistake?
:lol:
My mistake. Bob Holness is better than Craig. Sorry for the misunderstanding folks. :lol:
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

People used to say that Brosnan was a mixture of Connery and Moore. I agree.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

Brosnan hands down. 8)
His acting in DAD was some of the best of the series. His reaction to the torture was very realistic and in keeping with James Bond.

When I left the movies in 1995 there was excitement all of my friends were talking about it. How many z3 roadsters were sold because of that movie?

Leaving the movies in 2006 it was not the same, it wasn't a fun movie experience. It was dower and depressing. :?
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them

Post by Captain Nash »

Dr. No wrote:Brosnan hands down. 8)
His reaction to the torture was very realistic and in keeping with James Bond.
Been tortured alot have you Doctor?
Of course you have you come on here. :wink:
Jedi007
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Jedi007 »

Brosnan is easily the worst Bond of the entire series
How? Why?
BOND sells, NOT CRAIG
The reboot is a risky area, did Eon need to do it? NO. Did this confuse alot of people? YES.
The Bond character will always be anchored in the values of the 60s
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

I think this topic is getting too much here.
The Sweeney
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Jedi007 wrote:
Brosnan is easily the worst Bond of the entire series
How? Why?
Tried too hard to play it cool, looked false, couldn't act sincerely, overacted when it wasn't required, one minute tried to pull off a Roger Moore one-liner, the next trying to be all deep and reflective, pondering pose with stroking chins, didn't really try and use the novels for inspiration, looked too pretty-boy, too smarmy, not tough enough, tried to give us a `greatest hits' Bond with his performance (a blend of all previous actors) but failed on every level, etc. etc.

That's Brosnan. As for his films, well. Laughable CGI effects, messy plots, silly, embarassing one-liners, unrealistic storylines, OTT sequences, and of course - DAD (need I say more).
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Tried too hard to play it cool, looked false, couldn't act sincerely, overacted when it wasn't required, one minute tried to pull off a Roger Moore one-liner, the next trying to be all deep and reflective
That's what I thought about Daniel Craig!

You could argue that Brosnan had some rather muddled material to work with. But then, CR was rather muddled. Tacked onto the excellent source material were generic action scenes and awful soap-opera scenes of Craig overacting "trying to be all deep and reflective".

I think the Brosnan films are due for a reappraisal. Brosnan was popular. Now some quarters feel it is fashionable to have a dig at him. I feel he appeared in an enjoyable selection of Bond films.
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them

Post by Captain Nash »

carl stromberg wrote: I think the Brosnan films are due for a reappraisal. Brosnan was popular. Now some quarters feel it is fashionable to have a dig at him. I feel he appeared in an enjoyable selection of Bond films.
What a poor misguided person you are carl.
Brosnan tried to be everything, but copied two popualr Bonds along the way.
He wasn't original, he wasn't as good as the two he copied (Connery and Moore) and his movies may have been popular, but they were B grade Bond films at best. How quickly did Die Another Day become the most loathed of all Bond films?
Easily as soon as I left the cinema I know that.
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger, OHMSS, FRWL, The Living Daylights

Post by 007 »

I prefer Brosnan. I think he had more panache and humour, which I like in the cinematic character. I'm not sure he was well served by the scripts though.
ID
Lieutenant

Post by ID »

I'll take the Brozzer over our gloomy new 'Bond'.
Jedi007
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Jedi007 »

Tried too hard to play it cool, looked false, couldn't act sincerely, overacted when it wasn't required, one minute tried to pull off a Roger Moore one-liner, the next trying to be all deep and reflective, pondering pose with stroking chins, didn't really try and use the novels for inspiration, looked too pretty-boy, too smarmy, not tough enough, tried to give us a `greatest hits' Bond with his performance (a blend of all previous actors) but failed on every level, etc. etc.

That's Brosnan. As for his films, well. Laughable CGI effects, messy plots, silly, embarassing one-liners, unrealistic storylines, OTT sequences, and of course - DAD (need I say more).
Whoa. I never heard anyone yet complaining about Brosnan's acting until people began questioning Craig being cast as Bond.

I said the blame still points toward EON, not Brosnan. We know Brosnan wants his Bond more humane. But EON has limited Brosnan's acting capabilities with bad direction and poor scripts. Oh, and DAD again! As if it were the only film that Brosnan made.

It was EON who made the "laughable CGI effects, messy plots, silly, embarassing one-liners, unrealistic storylines and OTT sequences."

And "greatest hits" Bond? I think Brosnan wants only to show the old versions of Bond (Connery & Moore) for new generation. And what about "Terminator-like, egoistic, reckless" Craig Bond?

As said by Double O on the "Best Bond film" thread
Brosnan-had he been given a fighting chance-i.e. story,script, and direction -could have been the best Bond ever. Unfortunately, his arrival coincided with the decent of the franchises' storylines, and the (over done) ascent of the computer effects era. He was the right guy at the wrong time. One might argue that Brosnan was wasted as Remington Steele, and by the time he arrived, he had to prop the franchise. This meant that not only did the producers have to play up Brosnan (to his detriment), but tried to go well "over the top" to make his film as fantastic as possible. "Keep It Simple Stupid is a well used remark and it applies here. The opening sequence was a great introduction for Brosnan--the film was O.K. and brought the franchise back to the fore.

EON's to blame, not Brosnan.

And if you're assuming that by defending Brosnan, I am saying that Craig isn't a good actor, as most of pro-Craig boys think, you're wrong. In fact my top Bond would be Dalton. I was just defending Brosnan who thinks he sucks just because Craig took over. I think you're just doing the same thing for Craig.
BOND sells, NOT CRAIG
The reboot is a risky area, did Eon need to do it? NO. Did this confuse alot of people? YES.
The Bond character will always be anchored in the values of the 60s
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Jedi007 wrote:

Whoa. I never heard anyone yet complaining about Brosnan's acting until people began questioning Craig being cast as Bond.

I said the blame still points toward EON, not Brosnan. We know Brosnan wants his Bond more humane. But EON has limited Brosnan's acting capabilities with bad direction and poor scripts. Oh, and DAD again! As if it were the only film that Brosnan made.

It was EON who made the "laughable CGI effects, messy plots, silly, embarassing one-liners, unrealistic storylines and OTT sequences."

And "greatest hits" Bond? I think Brosnan wants only to show the old versions of Bond (Connery & Moore) for new generation. And what about "Terminator-like, egoistic, reckless" Craig Bond?

As said by Double O on the "Best Bond film" thread
Brosnan-had he been given a fighting chance-i.e. story,script, and direction -could have been the best Bond ever. Unfortunately, his arrival coincided with the decent of the franchises' storylines, and the (over done) ascent of the computer effects era. He was the right guy at the wrong time. One might argue that Brosnan was wasted as Remington Steele, and by the time he arrived, he had to prop the franchise. This meant that not only did the producers have to play up Brosnan (to his detriment), but tried to go well "over the top" to make his film as fantastic as possible. "Keep It Simple Stupid is a well used remark and it applies here. The opening sequence was a great introduction for Brosnan--the film was O.K. and brought the franchise back to the fore.

EON's to blame, not Brosnan.

And if you're assuming that by defending Brosnan, I am saying that Craig isn't a good actor, as most of pro-Craig boys think, you're wrong. In fact my top Bond would be Dalton. I was just defending Brosnan who thinks he sucks just because Craig took over. I think you're just doing the same thing for Craig.
I more or less agree with what you saying. Brosnan was unfortunate to star in the worst films of the series, and the blame really lies with EON. To be honest, I had pretty much given up on them until I saw CR.

I think maybe had Brosnan been given a different script, different direction (which I think he wanted to) then perhaps I wouldn't dislike him as Bond so much. Unfortunately, the poor quality of his films does cloud my judgement somewhat when it comes to my opinion on Brozza.