How can a...

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
BondFan007
Lieutenant

How can a...

Post by BondFan007 »

How can a balding, ex-milkman, truck driver and labourer with a thick Scottish accent and a percent for playing murders, nazis, porters and welders pull off the role of a suave secret agent? Just as well as Daniel Craig.
ID
Lieutenant

Post by ID »

Oh, I don't know. Maybe it was because he was 6'3, cool and as handsome as f**k.
BondFan007
Lieutenant

Post by BondFan007 »

ID wrote:cool and as handsome as f**k.
I've seen some female fans say this about Daniel Craig.

Fleming even called Connery too "unrefined", and said "He's not what I envisioned of James Bond looks", and said "he looks like a lorry driver".

Of cause he change his mind later.
ID
Lieutenant

Post by ID »

If you are trying to draw a comparison between Connery's intial selection and the Craig's reception then I'd have to say I don't see the parallel myself. Connery was 6'3. You stick a black toupee on him and Hey Presto! you have a darkly handsome leading man. Look at Marnie. He's nearly as suave as Cary Grant.
BondFan007
Lieutenant

Post by BondFan007 »

Craig too looks great in a tux. I was just making a friendly poke at the description of Craig on the main page.

Connery was 6'3 - 3 inches taller than Fleming's Bond
Craig is 5'11 - 1 inch shorter than Fleming's Bond

Craig has dark Blond hair in Royale, and he's, from the opinions I've seen from many female fans, handsome.
ID
Lieutenant

Post by ID »

I think Craig looks weird in a tux. Short and too bulky. A lot of females I know think he is more bricklayer than suave, sophisticated, Eton drop-out James Bond. Your turn.
BondFan007
Lieutenant

Post by BondFan007 »

ID wrote:Your turn.
I didn't realise this was a game, and I don't know what sort of females you know, so I can't comment.
ID
Lieutenant

Post by ID »

Whatever.
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

ID wrote:If you are trying to draw a comparison between Connery's intial selection and the Craig's reception then I'd have to say I don't see the parallel myself. Connery was 6'3. You stick a black toupee on him and Hey Presto! you have a darkly handsome leading man. Look at Marnie. He's nearly as suave as Cary Grant.
So then if you put a black wig on Daniel Craig you'll be happy right?
As for the height thing, get a life!
Flemings Bond is 6'1", Craig is 5'11", two inches isn't the biggest difference in the world.
I'm sure some of the arguments that get spewed out here are because some people can't admit they're wrong. :roll:
Robert Stirling
Lieutenant

Post by Robert Stirling »

It's worth remembering that Fleming has created Bond in the 50s and people then were shorter than nowadays. I wouldn't make a fetish of those 6'1''. For me Fleming's intention was to underline that Bond is taller than average.
- "Do I look like I give a d**n?"
- You don't. And that's the main problem.
ID
Lieutenant

Post by ID »

Captain Nash wrote:
ID wrote:If you are trying to draw a comparison between Connery's intial selection and the Craig's reception then I'd have to say I don't see the parallel myself. Connery was 6'3. You stick a black toupee on him and Hey Presto! you have a darkly handsome leading man. Look at Marnie. He's nearly as suave as Cary Grant.
Flemings Bond is 6'1", Craig is 5'11", two inches isn't the biggest difference in the world.
I'm sure some of the arguments that get spewed out here are because some people can't admit they're wrong. :roll:

I wouldn't put a black wig on Craig because he looks weird with dark hair, that Infamous film a case in point. It doesn't suit him. And yes, his shorter stature is one of many problems I have with Craig. The crowd scene near the end in Venice a case in point. He just looked small to me. Get a life? This is a CraignotBond forum, ergo a place for those unenthusiastic about 'our' new Bond. If I had no life I'd go and post on Cbn or MI6 non-stop, which I don't.
BondFan007
Lieutenant

Post by BondFan007 »

Robert Stirling wrote:For me Fleming's intention was to underline that Bond is taller than average.
5'11 is taller than average.
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Captain Nash wrote:
Actually, Bond was 6ft in the books, making Craig closer to him than Connery.
The Sweeney
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

ID wrote:I think Craig looks weird in a tux.
So did Esquire. That's why he was voted best dressed man at the Oscars..... :wink:
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

How can a balding, ex-milkman, truck driver and labourer with a thick Scottish accent and a percent for playing murders, nazis, porters and welders pull off the role of a suave secret agent? Just as well as Daniel Craig.
Can I suggest you purchase copies of Dr No, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger on your way to the opticians.
paco chaos
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by paco chaos »

come on. Connery is pushing 80 and women still swoon over him. Craig looks like he's pushing 90, and if he hadn't of done some bodybuilding the general public probably would have laughed him off. obviously, Craig had to work to overcome the initial perception of him as awkward, blond, and strange looking.
whereas Connery made movie history, is a big star to this day, and the main actor most people associate with James Bond. So much so that Ian Fleming changed the character to resemble Connery in the books. I'd say that Fleming's original comments regarding Connery had more to do with the fact that he was dissapointed that EON didn't get a more well known star at that time, along the lines of David Niven, or Cary Grant.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

paco chaos wrote:come on. Connery is pushing 80 and women still swoon over him. Craig looks like he's pushing 90, and if he hadn't of done some bodybuilding the general public probably would have laughed him off. obviously, Craig had to work to overcome the initial perception of him as awkward, blond, and strange looking.
whereas Connery made movie history, is a big star to this day, and the main actor most people associate with James Bond. So much so that Ian Fleming changed the character to resemble Connery in the books. I'd say that Fleming's original comments regarding Connery had more to do with the fact that he was dissapointed that EON didn't get a more well known star at that time, along the lines of David Niven, or Cary Grant.
Well let's see how long Craig's popularity lasts, shall we. I think this is just the beginning. Craig is on the brink of huge stardom (at least on a par with Connery) and by the time he has finished as Bond, he will have left a mark on the franchise in the same way Connery did - irreplacable.

So far you guys have got your predictions all wrong when it comes to Craig, and how audiences have taken to him, so I'd be careful with your predictions again.

Not that me and the likes of Cap'n Nash will be on here gloating to high heaven, if Bond 22 is even bigger than CR, or anything like that.

As if we would..... :wink:
Skywalker
Favorite Bond Movie: Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Quantum of Solace.......Hmmm
Favorite Movies: Batman Begins
The Dark Knoght
Shawshank Redemption
Platoon
Top Gun
Aliens
Location: On the side of truth and honesty. No room for sheep - just shepherds.

Post by Skywalker »

The Sweeney wrote:
paco chaos wrote:come on. Connery is pushing 80 and women still swoon over him. Craig looks like he's pushing 90, and if he hadn't of done some bodybuilding the general public probably would have laughed him off. obviously, Craig had to work to overcome the initial perception of him as awkward, blond, and strange looking.
Well let's see how long Craig's popularity lasts, shall we. I think this is just the beginning. Craig is on the brink of huge stardom (at least on a par with Connery) and by the time he has finished as Bond, he will have left a mark on the franchise in the same way Connery did - irreplacable.

So far you guys have got your predictions all wrong when it comes to Craig, and how audiences have taken to him, so I'd be careful with your predictions again.

Not that me and the likes of Cap'n Nash will be on here gloating to high heaven, if Bond 22 is even bigger than CR, or anything like that.

Craig will have a good acting career regardless of his time as Bond, because to put it simply - He's a d**n fine actor.

I hope Bond 22 is a success and Craig is more refined and less thugish.
“I'd like to thank the Royal Marines for bringing me in like that and scaring the s--- out of me,” Bond Hardman Daniel Craig.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Skywalker wrote:
The Sweeney wrote:

Craig will have a good acting career regardless of his time as Bond, because to put it simply - He's a d**n fine actor.

I hope Bond 22 is a success and Craig is more refined and less thugish.
For once we agree, young Skywalker...... 8)
paco chaos
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by paco chaos »

i've said it before, that I liked Craig in Layer Cake, but he doesn't fit the Bond role very well. Craig is a decent actor, but I don't think that he's irreplacable, and I will gloat if his successor turns out to be a better fit! :wink: