The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by The Sweeney »

Have to say, hats off to SF. As much as you all hate Craig as 007, his films have achieved something I didn't think would be possible.
Two of his movies are ranked in the 90's on RT, won global acclaim, and SF has gone one step further.

Biggest BO movie since TB, biggest BO ever in the UK, 7th biggest globally of all time, BAFTA's, and now 2 Oscars.
This is a great day to be a Bond fan. :cheers:
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

Ahem..with that tie win.. Zero Dark Thirty was definitely the better of the two films.Just sayin'. :roll:
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
The Sweeney
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

kater23 wrote:Ahem..with that tie win.. Zero Dark Thirty was definitely the better of the two films.Just sayin'. :roll:
Haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty yet so couldn't comment.

Either way, I'm pleased SF won 2 Oscars.
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

You should.Great movie.

I suspect there may be excitement elsewhere and hopes that Skyfall's win might mean there'll be a spike in DVD sales.....I wouldn't count on it.
Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: Moonraker
Goldfinger
The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Crazy For Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, League of Gentlemen (1960's British film), Big Trouble in Little China, Police Academy 2, Carry On At Your Convenience, Commando, Halloween III: Season of the Witch,

Post by Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry »

Best Song??? It wasn't awful but it was not brilliant. Was it just a token award?

It's not a great time for me to be a Bond fan as the movie series has been ruined.
CaptainLewis
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye
O.H.M.S.S.
Favorite Movies: Alien & Aliens
Inception
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

Post by CaptainLewis »

I love the fact Adele won because a few days ago at the BRIT Awards she was nominated for the 'Global Success' Award.
And she lost.

She lost to One Direction.

I'd like to think this shows how little the BRIT Awards are worth.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Capt. Sir Dominic Flandry wrote:Best Song??? It wasn't awful but it was not brilliant. Was it just a token award?

It's not a great time for me to be a Bond fan as the movie series has been ruined.
I liked the song, but I'm a bit bummed that it won an Oscar when there are so many classic Bond themes that didn't. Surely Goldfinger deserved an Oscar more, but it wasn't even nominated (Chim Chim Cheree from Mary Poppins won instead. Bloimey!)
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

An article about the mediocre Oscar tribute to James Bond: http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-osca ... 56843.html

This lead into a montage of clips from Bond movies of the past. There were plenty of clips of Sean Connery and Daniel Craig, but Roger Moore was pretty underrepresented considering he played 007 seven times.
For a man who's been in seven Bond films and still takes an interest in the series, Roger Moore doesn't get enough respect in my opinion. This is a 50th Anniversary tribute, and therefore ALL the actors should be fairly acknowledged. Enough of this one-sided cr@p already. I'm so glad I didn't bother to watch this.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

CaptainLewis wrote:I love the fact Adele won because a few days ago at the BRIT Awards she was nominated for the 'Global Success' Award.
And she lost.

She lost to One Direction.

I'd like to think this shows how little the BRIT Awards are worth.
She won, but that doesn't mean we have to love it.
Last edited by FormerBondFan on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

I have to agree on Adele's award being "Token". Because you know good and d@mn well it is.
Daltonite Toothpaste
Single O
Favorite Bond Movie: The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies & For Your Eyes Only.
Favorite Movies: American Mary, Deadlier Than The Male, Dracula, Saved, The Big Sleep, The French Connection, Under The Sand

Post by Daltonite Toothpaste »

The Saint 007 wrote:An article about the mediocre Oscar tribute to James Bond: http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-osca ... 56843.html

This lead into a montage of clips from Bond movies of the past. There were plenty of clips of Sean Connery and Daniel Craig, but Roger Moore was pretty underrepresented considering he played 007 seven times.
For a man who's been in seven Bond films and still takes an interest in the series, Roger Moore doesn't get enough respect in my opinion. This is a 50th Anniversary tribute, and therefore ALL the actors should be fairly acknowledged. Enough of this one-sided cr@p already. I'm so glad I didn't bother to watch this.
If Rog did 7 films and barely got a look in, then can I assume that Lazenby & Dalton weren't even represented?
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

The Sweeney wrote:Have to say, hats off to SF. As much as you all hate Craig as 007, his films have achieved something I didn't think would be possible.
Two of his movies are ranked in the 90's on RT, won global acclaim, and SF has gone one step further.

Biggest BO movie since TB, biggest BO ever in the UK, 7th biggest globally of all time, BAFTA's, and now 2 Oscars.
This is a great day to be a Bond fan. :cheers:
You are correct. It's the greatest achievement in the universe since the invention of toilet paper :!: What a time to be a Bond fan........or former Bond fan.......... :idea:
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

bjmdds wrote:

Dame Shirley can still get it..and she's 76 years old. I wish I could say the same of Adele. :twisted:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

What was up with that weird thing she was doing with her hands at a couple of points during the song-did she fart or something? :mrgreen:
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

Upon reading that article re. the Oscars' "James Bond" section (which I didn't watch), what bugged the most was that it was supposedly a tribute to the MUSIC of James Bond, yet aside from their token nod to "Goldfinger" they seemed to have collectively pissed on the memory of the series' real MVP: John Barry.

Because seriously, no matter how many times David Arnold's imitation scores loudly repeated the "James Bond Theme" as his attempt to "honor" the Original, the sad fact is that Monty Norman will always be credited for that fluke and continue to sit on his lazy smug ass collecting royalties despite Barry's superior talents in shaping the theme into something truly special, and then adding DOZENS more memorable themes to marvel at throughout most of the series. (Not coincidentally, Norman comes off as a self-satisfied git in all the interviews I've ever seen of him, so I stand by my opinion of his low character)

As an example of Barry's invaluable contributions, we have all of the underwater scenes of Thunderball, which are maddeningly slow and boring without music but miraculously come to life when Barry's score kicks in to give their scenes context, mystery, suspense, action, and even beauty. Then compare that to the entire submarine and diving-suit-guy sequence of For Your Eyes Only with Bill Conti's indifferent, bland John Williams-esque Jaws knock-off, and I defy anyone who'll claim that John Barry wasn't the better composer.

And now the Academy who actually honored the man himself several times for his work outside the Bond series (Born Free, The Lion in Winter, Dances with Wolves) has all but ignored him for having spent HALF of that series' lifetime building up the reputation it allegedly enjoys today. Well F!#+ you too, Oscar. F!#+ them all.
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Barry Niven wrote:Upon reading that article re. the Oscars' "James Bond" section (which I didn't watch), what bugged the most was that it was supposedly a tribute to the MUSIC of James Bond, yet aside from their token nod to "Goldfinger" they seemed to have collectively pissed on the memory of the series' real MVP: John Barry.

Because seriously, no matter how many times David Arnold's imitation scores loudly repeated the "James Bond Theme" as his attempt to "honor" the Original, the sad fact is that Monty Norman will always be credited for that fluke and continue to sit on his lazy smug ass collecting royalties despite Barry's superior talents in shaping the theme into something truly special, and then adding DOZENS more memorable themes to marvel at throughout most of the series. (Not coincidentally, Norman comes off as a self-satisfied git in all the interviews I've ever seen of him, so I stand by my opinion of his low character)

As an example of Barry's invaluable contributions, we have all of the underwater scenes of Thunderball, which are maddeningly slow and boring without music but miraculously come to life when Barry's score kicks in to give their scenes context, mystery, suspense, action, and even beauty. Then compare that to the entire submarine and diving-suit-guy sequence of For Your Eyes Only with Bill Conti's indifferent, bland John Williams-esque Jaws knock-off, and I defy anyone who'll claim that John Barry wasn't the better composer.

And now the Academy who actually honored the man himself several times for his work outside the Bond series (Born Free, The Lion in Winter, Dances with Wolves) has all but ignored him for having spent HALF of that series' lifetime building up the reputation it allegedly enjoys today. Well F!#+ you too, Oscar. F!#+ them all.
Everyone knows Barry is the definitive Bond composer. Only a fool would claim otherwise.

And Barry had his fair share of Oscars, without been nominated for anymore during his Bond reign. He won plenty outside of Bond. And even in last night's ceremony, Barry's soundtrack was used during the obituaries. I think the Oscars loved Barry.

Sometimes the blind hatred on here towards anything to do with a Craig film is staggering.
Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

The Sweeney wrote:
Sometimes the blind hatred on here towards anything to do with a Craig film is staggering.
Well you go right ahead and keep on telling yourself that, sir. But I am wide awake. And that's all I have to say to you.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Daltonite Toothpaste wrote:If Rog did 7 films and barely got a look in, then can I assume that Lazenby & Dalton weren't even represented?
Lazenby and Dalton were shown, but overall, the montage video was pretty poor. You can find better fan made 50th Anniversary James Bond tribute videos on YouTube.