The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

shaken not stirred wrote: The typical time for a bond film is usually just under 2 hours, why make it longer then that?, it's not lord of the rings or harry potter where that amount of time is justified for that along with the avengers and tdkr.
I think TDKR could have done with being a bit shorter, to be honest.

By the way, QOS's box office gross in 2012 dollars would put it at #8 in the 2012 chart for the US and Canada. And that's before Twiglet and The Hobbit get released. Unless it significantly outgrosses QOS in real terms, I don't see SF making the year-end top 10.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:I think TDKR could have done with being a bit shorter, to be honest.
I thought Rises is perfect for the way it is. After all, it is a finale although not all finales have the longest running time. One example is Harry's last adventure.
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Kristatos wrote:I think TDKR could have done with being a bit shorter, to be honest.
I thought Rises is perfect for the way it is. After all, it is a finale although not all finales have the longest running time. One example is Harry's last adventure.
I think that's because the deathly hallows was split into two parts.
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Assuming the 145-minute running time is correct, Skyfall would be 39 minutes longer than Quantum. In the time it would take to show Skyfall four times, you could squeeze in a fifth showing of Quantum.

Now, presumably, during the first weekend bit multi-plexes (like the one I go to) will have at least three or four screens (especially because it doesn't appear there will be that much competition, at least not the Nov. 9 weekend in the U.S.). So that may make up for the longer running time to an extent. This same multi-plex had a lot of screens going for Amazing Spider-Man and The Dark Knight Rises when they first opened.
John Drake
Commander
Location: Watching the first twenty James Bond films somewhere...

Post by John Drake »

Does the box-office really matter? Skyfall will do the standard business (no Bond film will bomb with the 007 brand behind it) and then they'll take a 3 year break and come back again with a 97 year-old Daniel Craig. The only hope is for DC to leave of his own free will sooner than BB & MGW would like but I can't see that happening the way his career outside of Bond is going nowhere fast
"He is very good-looking" Vesper Lynd
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

shaken not stirred wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:
I think that's because the deathly hallows was split into two parts.
It would be nice if the unused scenes and elements from the first 6 Harry Potter novels were added to the DH (especially Part 2), something like in LOTR where scenes of TTT novel were used in the adaptations of FOTR and especially ROTK.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

John Drake wrote:Does the box-office really matter? Skyfall will do the standard business (no Bond film will bomb with the 007 brand behind it) and then they'll take a 3 year break and come back again with a 97 year-old Daniel Craig.
But LTK crashed and burn in the US. When it was released, many fans accused it as it's not Bond but a ripoff of violent TV series and movies of that era.
The only hope is for DC to leave of his own free will sooner than BB & MGW would like but I can't see that happening the way his career outside of Bond is going nowhere fast
Yes, it will be great if DC leaves, but it will be a bad image if Bond 23 becomes the highest grossing Bond worldwide and especially here in the US. If you don't agree with me, that's fine. And I'm sure BJ will agree 200%.
John Drake
Commander
Location: Watching the first twenty James Bond films somewhere...

Post by John Drake »

I'd love Skyfall to bomb too but I just think you shouldn't invest too many hopes in the box-office. Even if it didn't too as well as they hoped they wouldn't fire Craig the next day and cast Henry Cavill. It just isn't going to happen. LTK did poorly in the US but they didn't sack Dalton. He was still Bond until 1994.
"He is very good-looking" Vesper Lynd
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Nothing Eon is doing makes any sense. The trailer unveiled the most action parts of the film. How much shaving of Bond by the new probable Moneypenny or a Freudian interrogation of a depressed Bond will the public take? I would bet HALF of this film deals with dialogue related time, rather than action and intrigue. FBF, with Marty Feldman in the wings, Bond 23 either sinks or swims. Hopefully the bootleg dvds will be rampant all over NYC by November 5th, prior to it's opening on the 9th.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

John Drake wrote:LTK did poorly in the US but they didn't sack Dalton. He was still Bond until 1994.
Even if Bond 23 did not surpassed CR's worldwide $594 million and QOS' US $168 million but makes around $575 million worldwide and $160 million in the US, EON would still keep DC as Bond.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

John Drake wrote:Does the box-office really matter? Skyfall will do the standard business (no Bond film will bomb with the 007 brand behind it) and then they'll take a 3 year break and come back again with a 97 year-old Daniel Craig. The only hope is for DC to leave of his own free will sooner than BB & MGW would like but I can't see that happening the way his career outside of Bond is going nowhere fast
If it were to crash and burn then box-office then it matters, if it does standard business then no it doesn't. QOS a lousy film, one of the most expensive ever made and one of the worst, does more or less DAD box-office still it was hailed a success eventhou they lost attendance (and money).

In one way if Skyfall is the gem Craig thinks it is and there are pressures to go back to the old scheduled him might step out claiming victory with his three. He came so close to QOS being his last it has to be at the back of his mind being remembered for one of his worst.

Althou I think some of the skyfall back story stuff is atrocious, there is a small chance Bond fans will be offended by the emo additions. I wouldn't hope for it thou sheep seem so happy to be lead anywhere. :(
Napoleon Solo wrote:Assuming the 145-minute running time is correct, Skyfall would be 39 minutes longer than Quantum. In the time it would take to show Skyfall four times, you could squeeze in a fifth showing of Quantum.

Now, presumably, during the first weekend bit multi-plexes (like the one I go to) will have at least three or four screens (especially because it doesn't appear there will be that much competition, at least not the Nov. 9 weekend in the U.S.). So that may make up for the longer running time to an extent. This same multi-plex had a lot of screens going for Amazing Spider-Man and The Dark Knight Rises when they first opened.
The opening week where it matter the most a longer run time won't do much damage. Unless it is drastically longer.

I would be surprised if they can top the OQS opening especially in this market there are so many factors I have no idea what the box office will be, I assume it will be standard businesses however I don't assume it will make it any good as a movie, or for the critics to be anything but fawning. I've seen so many subpar movies receive thumbs up I don't hold out hope for honest reviews. Too much studio money rides on reviews for it to be left to chance, I mean this a cynically as I can put it. Unless a movie is directed by M. Night Shyamalan I fully expect 50 to 60% of the reviews to be glowing in some manner.

Not meaning this about Bond althou it pisses me off as well, example what Bond movie reviews by the majors hasn't been the greatest ever?

Back to the point about multiplexes the last one I was at staggered the screen times to insure if someone walks up they can find a open theatre. I expect back to back carpet bombing opening weekend, if they can't float the franchise's boat doing this it really is time for major changes at EON.
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

John Drake wrote:I'd love Skyfall to bomb too but I just think you shouldn't invest too many hopes in the box-office. Even if it didn't too as well as they hoped they wouldn't fire Craig the next day and cast Henry Cavill. It just isn't going to happen. LTK did poorly in the US but they didn't sack Dalton. He was still Bond until 1994.
Absolutely right.

The only time we knew there would be a recast before hand is when George Lazenby announced he quit before the first film was released. Pierce was so loved in 2002 they (EON) were eager to make to make his fifth, they didn't announce they fired him until late 2004 early 2005 (even then they were supposedly talking to him about coming back). We gets me is EON fired pierce after spending a year trying to make Jinx spin off while Pierce was trying to get CR made in to a movie.

At this point (today) it's up to Daniel to quit, as Kirs pointed out he has no career to fall back on. Althou so much can change in just a few months I wouldn't give up hope I just wouldn't place all my hope in one basket.

Despite what FBF says we are not in big trouble no matter what happens. Give us matching funds to make our point then we'd see the press take notice of the points we stand behind not the narrative woven for us by the very studio/production company we protest.

"I'm on 007's side even if there isn't a 007 to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Bondian as I can even if there isn't any James Bond."
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Just saw the cover of esquire :shock:

This is the young face of Bond?
[spoil]http://cdn03.cdn.justjared.com/wp-conte ... r-2012.jpg[/spoil]
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

BO looks bad this weekend.
Indiana Jones is rocking it.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Omega wrote:Just saw the cover of esquire :shock:

He looks like a preserved corpse :!:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:
Omega wrote:Just saw the cover of esquire :shock:

He looks like a preserved corpse :!:
:lol: That's what I thought.! maybe he's going for the Nosferatu look :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote: But LTK crashed and burn in the US. When it was released, many fans accused it as it's not Bond but a ripoff of violent TV series and movies of that era.
LTK was atypical in that it was a) released in the summer, unusual for Bond and b) poorly marketed by MGM. We already know a) doesn't apply to SF, and I severly doubt that b) will either.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Kristatos wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote: But LTK crashed and burn in the US. When it was released, many fans accused it as it's not Bond but a ripoff of violent TV series and movies of that era.
LTK was atypical in that it was a) released in the summer, unusual for Bond and b) poorly marketed by MGM. We already know a) doesn't apply to SF, and I severly doubt that b) will either.
Licence To Kill had to compete against various big films that summer. Most people might have just made up their minds after seeing The Living Daylights that they didn't care for the more serious direction. The hype to have Pierce Brosnan play Bond during the 1980's could have also been a factor as to why most audiences didn't accept the Dalton films, but who knows. I just find it odd how Craig gets so much praise for doing something that Dalton arguably did better years before.
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Kristatos wrote:
From 1977 to 1989, all of the Eon Bond films were released in summer (at least how the studios define summer). LTK's release date wasn't atypical. But they haven't released once since in the summer. Originally, Quantum was to have had an early May release date but it got pushed back to the fall.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Cavill's The Cold Light Of Day bombed huge in the USA at the box office finishing out of the top 10 Friday.