The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Alessandra »

The Saint 007 wrote:I think the title song for Moonraker wasn't settled and recorded until a few weeks before its premiere, which could very well be the same case for Skyfall's title song.
Oh! I didn't remember this. Well then... not a good omen :shock: I agree with Kris, considering the people involved, the end result wasn't really very good IMO. of course, not nearly as bad as CR or QoS, goes without saying. The only other one that was as bad was Madonna's. Or not even.
"Are we on coms?"
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Didn't John Barry also have only a few weeks to compose the title song/soundtrack to The Man With The Golden Gun as well? Oh well, as I said before, I like Moonraker as well as all the other Bond soundtracks by John Barry. I always thought he did a great job with the music, even when there were circumstances that didn't give him much time to compose it.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

The Saint 007 wrote:Here's a thread from someone at IMDb who attended a screening of Skyfall: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1074638/boa ... /204061735
"The best way I can describe it is that it’s a black comedy drama film". Did MGW come out of hibernation and write this review? It sounds like one of Oh-bama's underlings spinning his trash record as President when it has been abysmal :!:
Last edited by bjmdds on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:Here's a thread from someone at IMDb who attended a screening of Skyfall: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1074638/boa ... /204061735
"The best way I can describe it is that it’s a black comedy drama film". Did MGW come out of hibernation and write this review? It sounds loke one of Oh-bama's underlings spinning his trash record as President when it has been abysmal :!:
This guy seems to enjoy it. If this is true, then we're in serious trouble.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

The obvious question: do we know that there have actually been any test screenings of Skyfall? There are so many bullshitters on IMDb that I'm skeptical of this report to say the least.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

It's very similar to the supposed trailer review, another "Liz" in February saw a trailer for movie not in production long enough to have a trailer today "lizze-sandy81" saw the whole movie? Either a hoax or a rat.

Not encouraged by the Dark comedy thing but I wasn't going to see it anyway.

One weird thing was she'd give away so many parts of plot then be vague on others less meaningful (
Spoiler
why is the horrible Naomi Harris going to be around unless she is MP? Why give away M killed Bonds parents
), and how she know where little piece of music came from, and the line she used get under the characters skin. and Classic but very different , essentially what Craig side in interviews months ago. Also so familiar with Bond forum short hand, they go back and fourth between spelling out a movies name and using initials. My gut says someone is winding people up it maybe someone with access, maybe not, I'm not going to buy it.

I already wasted more time reading this and saying what I think of it than it was worth.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Yeah, that report could be fake. Although the way Barbara and Michael are handling the series now, I actually wouldn't be surprised if some of this information ends up being true.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

The Saint 007 wrote:Although the way Barbara and Michael are handling the series now, I actually wouldn't be surprised if some of this information ends up being true.
If the information about Bond 23 being great is true, then we should prepare to give up on bringing back the traditional Bond and instead go for the freaks as Bond. Right, BJ?
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

The Saint 007 wrote:Yeah, that report could be fake. Although the way Barbara and Michael are handling the series now, I actually wouldn't be surprised if some of this information ends up being true.
If it is real it is someone close to EON leaking it so the praise is worthless, if it is a fanboy they are trying to get a rise of out people. I wouldn't be surprised for a rough cut to hit the internet like happened for Wolverine. I still don't get how this person supposedly knows all these little unknowable details, I love my Bond films but couldn't place certain pieces of music off hand.

I'm not going to say it's fake out right I just can't imagine why they would be screening a unfinished film to average people. There was a time they did that for censors but that usually ended badly with demands of additional cuts before the move was ready.

I found a cool write of all the cuts made to Bond movies and why. I need to find it again and post it.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

FormerBondFan wrote:
The Saint 007 wrote:Although the way Barbara and Michael are handling the series now, I actually wouldn't be surprised if some of this information ends up being true.
If the information about Bond 23 being great is true, then we should prepare to give up on bringing back the traditional Bond and instead go for the freaks as Bond. Right, BJ?
I wouldn't put too much faith in this FBF. Do you know who this person is? Are they someone who's opinion matters to you? Still there are going to be people who think the new Bond is the greatest film since the last no matter what. It's how fanboys go crazy for their movies series. I've never been a part of that group so I parted ways with the franchise years ago but plenty still want to feel like they are part of the magic even if there is no magic left.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Dr. No wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:
I wouldn't put too much faith in this FBF. Do you know who this person is? Are they someone who's opinion matters to you? Still there are going to be people who think the new Bond is the greatest film since the last no matter what. It's how fanboys go crazy for their movies series. I've never been a part of that group so I parted ways with the franchise years ago but plenty still want to feel like they are part of the magic even if there is no magic left.
If Bond 23 is ends up being a classic by both fans and critics, then send in the freaks as Bond.
Dr. No
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

FormerBondFan wrote:
If Bond 23 is ends up being a classic by both fans and critics, then send in the freaks as Bond.
What do fans & critics know? Critics say QOS was one of the great accomplishments of Bond, nobody believes it now. OHMSS was trashed once, LTK was trashed once, now they are elevated to higher standings. All we have is not right now, in the moment, the way it will be remembered tomorrow isn't written yet. Shoot for that.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

As the Doc says to Jennifer at the end of Back To The Future part III, "no one's future has been written yet". Freaks will be sent in FBF if DC remains and you will be vindicated. Let's put Ale on the investigation to see if there was a private viewing of Bond 23.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:Freaks will be sent in FBF if DC remains and you will be vindicated..
If Bond 23 surpasses CR even by one bit, send in the freaks anyway.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

We might be in big trouble FBF with the reception the overseas minions have given Garfield's trash. Let's hope they have the sense to stay home for Bond 23. The problem is the massive overseas markets now.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

There have been absolutely no private viewings of Bond 23 where anyone who would be so idiotic and attention-starved as to post on IMDB could have a chance to attend. So the possibilities are two 1) they're so desperate that they sent one of the PR people out to create an IMDB account and post singing the praises of Skyfall (Seems a bit much EVEN for Eon) or 2) this is just utter hogwash. I lean toward 2) simply because IMDB is the LEAST reliable place EVER for posters. UNless you know someone and know they've proven their worth and you can trust them, it really is a place where ALL the nutjobs post. I wouldn't put too much thought to it... it's really probably just a fanboy making it ALL up. There have been MANY "leaks" of the supposed plot IN DETAIL so he or she may simply be using one of those previously released detailed summaries to make up their own "critique". If not, then EON is really THAT desperate and it would be a bad sign for the franchise in general. You can't be managed by such amateurs, really. I do not think it's them though... I really believe this has to be some stupid fan in search of attention.

In other news, I re-watched The Cold Light of Day. Henry is PERFECT to be Bond, the end. He looks all scruffy and is dressed the OPPOSITE as Bond, and yet there IS that quality to him. It's called charisma. Something you either have or don't have, no matter what you do. Still think his best audition as Bond (other than the actual one :lol:) is that scene in the pilot of "The Tudors" where he is sleeping with the daughter of the enemy and is found out by said enemy. The whole attitude and the way he delivers lines in the scene REEKS of James Bond sarcasm. I get distracted by his nudity, admittedly, but hey :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Are we on coms?"
katied

Post by katied »

I call so much bullsh!t on posts-esecially ones on IMBD(we all know how that place can be) about "private" screenings of Spyfail. Just someone trying to hype it is all. :cuss:
Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

In the new Empire magazine story, Mendes supposedly says there have been test screenings. I say supposedly because I don't have access to the actual magazine article. I saw somebody on a message board summarizing highlights of the article. So take the appropriate dosage of salt.

There have been test screenings in the past where they used music from previous movies because the score isn't finished yet. On the director's commentary track of DAD, Tamahori says they used some of the You Only Live Twice score in a test screening for the shot where the helicopter is outside a small house before the final scene with Bond and Jinx. Again, that is what happened in the past. Even if there have been test screenings of Skyfall, it's hard to discern whether this is legit or not.

On the other hand, the start of paragraph 8 sounds an awful lot like Skyfall the Unofficial Novelization. :)
katied

Post by katied »

I'm going to take it with so many grains of salt I'm going to have a problem with my blood pressure! :lol:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Alessandra wrote:it's really probably just a fanboy making it ALL up.
With a name like lizzy-sandy, more likely to be a fangirl, I'd have thought.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig