The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote: Yes, it got critical acclaim, but it deserves an Oscar.
You really are a "glass half-empty" person, aren't you?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

I don't understand the complaints about Brosnan's career. He did mighty fine after Bond. NO one gets a big franchise at his age and he had both critical acclaim, and public acclaim. What's the problem? Sometimes it takes stopping to want everything and being happy that you have something good.
"Are we on coms?"
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

I sometimes think that if Pierce was made Emperor of the World, FBF would complain that he should have been given the whole universe.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:I sometimes think that if Pierce was made Emperor of the World, FBF would complain that he should have been given the whole universe.
I've given up trying to convince fbf .

I think brosnan had a good after bond career .

He could do better and find another blockbuster but I think like dalton his time as bond will be more appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
............ :007:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Kristatos wrote:I sometimes think that if Pierce was made Emperor of the World, FBF would complain that he should have been given the whole universe.
I never said that. He just needs a really good script and a really good director for once. A movie from Tarantino wouldn't hurt although though his films aren't in the top 10. He may not needs this, but he deserves a wow factor film that is enjoyable beyond his fanbase. NM could've achieve that.
Last edited by FormerBondFan on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Alessandra wrote:NO one gets a big franchise at his age and he had both critical acclaim, and public acclaim.
Then why did Michael Douglas took part in Ant-Man? It doesn't hurt just to do one movie in a franchise.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Alessandra wrote:NO one gets a big franchise at his age and he had both critical acclaim, and public acclaim.
Then why did Michael Douglas took part in Ant-Man? It doesn't hurt just to do one movie in a franchise.
but he's not the action hero he may not be back .

FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Omega wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:
but he's not the action hero he may not be back .

I never said Mike will be back.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

Alessandra wrote:I don't understand the complaints about Brosnan's career. He did mighty fine after Bond. NO one gets a big franchise at his age and he had both critical acclaim, and public acclaim. What's the problem? Sometimes it takes stopping to want everything and being happy that you have something good.
FBF is referring to his career NOW and most of his CURRENT films are going straight to VOD releases ala Steven Seagal.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

I was surprised he was alive .

But like ale said Michael Douglas is not going to be approached to star as the lead in a big series

Barry Niven
Lieutenant

Post by Barry Niven »

FormerBondFan wrote:Why hasn't QT doing anything to cast Pierce in his upcoming projects? Back in the 80s and during his time as Bond (especially in his debut with GE), he was popular in the minds of the general audience. Now he's been treated like a nobody. I think his agent and/or his PR are probably Pro-Craig minions.
Because, Sportsfan, QT wanted to make a James Bond Movie, NOT a Pierce Brosnan-trying-to-play-HIS-Version-of-but-not-actually-called-James-Bond movie-Just-to-Prove-HE'S-STILL-RELEVANT. The fact that QT lost all interest after PB got the axe from EON and never cast him in any of HIS movies for 11 years (and counting) should've been a big clue, but I suppose that's just a little too obvious to accept, innit? Then again, I don't think anybody else has thought or discussed this particular idea through (or if they did, it may have been buried YEARS ago by the onrush of disbelief and outrage for me to even dig it up), so I might as well put my case forward for what it's worth.

The way I see it, QT cozied up to PB (through their mutual pal Michael Madsen after DAD) as his way "in" to the EON Bonds as their Next Director under the assumption that PB had the clout to make it happen with word-of-mouth based on PB's enormous popularity as The People's Choice 007. And PB felt entitled to that right after having bought into the hype that he was the "Best Bond Since Connery (and better than Moore)" and always talked to the press about how his *next* Bond would be THE ONE to "peel back the layers" to reveal the true depth of the Bond Character as played by him only to be made a fool of by the finished products' exaggerated, empty excess of gunfire, explosions, UN-believably convenient gadgets, flavor-of-the-month miscastings, $#!+ scripts and bad puns every time (TND, TWINE, DAD, take your pick).

And unlike poor George Lazenby who was duped by that phony radio hipster Ronan O'Rahily into quitting after OHMSS because the latter conned him with bull$#!+ of how "Bond was uncool for being an uptight square", that "peace, love & hippies are where it's at, man", and to "stick it to the Fat-Cat Hollywood producers", PB thought that THIS TIME it would work for him because HE starred in FOUR immediate Box-Office Hits while GL only made one that only broke-even and took 30-40 years to be accepted as a Classic when it was too late to do GL any good career-wise. So now PB felt he was due the Official Artistic Respect AS James Bond through this bold collaboration with a REAL Director whose multiple awards, critical acclaim and box-office success was too much of an opportunity for even EON to pass up.

And when that Big Dream of Quentin Tarantino Directing a Real James Bond Movie was flat-out rejected by EON who didn't want their upscale production tainted by a loud, unstable, in-your-face "maverick" with their Default excuse of never hiring *outsiders* that kept Steven Spielberg from getting a shot in the 1970's under Cubby's watch (while conveniently overlooking the hypocrisy of letting the fruity Tamahori run DAD into the ground), PB reacted to this revelation that he was only EON's employee who had no creative say (when it suited HIM) by denouncing his bosses IN PUBLIC for their "creative paralysis" out of what I perceive as personal pique rather than artistic integrity. And possibly with the ulterior motive of provoking EON to reverse their rejection in PB's favor just to prove that they weren't as rigid and conservative as he insinuated they were.

And PB announced it in March 2004, one month after Dana Broccoli passed away to leave Babs in Control FOR REAL. So had Babs NOT come across the Almighty Dan Craggy from her private viewing of Layer Cake later on with the initial intent of hiring its director but being so awestruck by its nominal "star" that she just had to snatch him up as the Next Big Thing to foist upon MGM/UA/Sony/Columbia/etc., the higher-ups just might have tolerated PB's outburst and pay him off for his 5th Bond regardless of the quality (which I now - and always - believe would have been as vacant and mediocre as all the rest, GE included). Instead, PB's public discontent red-flagged him as a disobedient, meddling ingrate that EON and the studios shouldn't be bothered to placate, which justified their decision to dump him. And this was Babs turn to show everyone that SHE was THE Boss, so what better way to show what a "maverick" she was by firing the overpaid, aging, conservative incumbent and take a risk on her untried underdog Craggy to boost her own rebel street-cred?

So basically, there's plenty of blame to go around for EVERYONE. Not just Babs, as demonizing her alone is just as - if not MORE - insane as the crimes against Bond she's endlessly accused (and admittedly, largely guilty) of committing. But what I cannot stand is this INFANTILIZING of poor wittle Pierce Brosnan as a blameless victim of the Big Bad Babs and some kind of PR/Pro-Craggy "conspiracy" to keep him down long after he stopped playing Bond. Because when you look at it coldly and objectively, PB really did have a sweet deal going. He was paid handsomely for his Bonds, had his own production company to make his own projects whenever and however he liked, and rode the highest wave of popularity any actor could have in the role at that time (MORE than Timothy Dalton, who I personally preferred and was bitterly disappointed over his not getting HIS 3rd movie to right the misstep of LTK). All he had to do was take his money, not cause any trouble, do as he was told, and know his place. Up until after DAD, PB did just that, until QT's fanboy blathering over-inflated his pride and ego, and look where the Bond movies are now.

At least, that's MY theory. But it makes the most sense to me, so I'm sticking to it. It's a hell of a lot easier for me to believe in than... the alternative.
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Omega wrote:I was surprised he was alive .

But like ale said Michael Douglas is not going to be approached to star as the lead in a big series

Mike could still be a lead villain.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

FBF its like you are concerned with his career more than he is himself.
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

Alessandra wrote:I don't understand the complaints about Brosnan's career. He did mighty fine after Bond. NO one gets a big franchise at his age and he had both critical acclaim, and public acclaim. What's the problem? Sometimes it takes stopping to want everything and being happy that you have something good.
Agree.
Oh,Ale,there is this Henry Cavill topic on Croatian forum. You would LOVE it there. :lol:
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

FormerBondFan wrote:Why hasn't QT doing anything to cast Pierce in his upcoming projects? Back in the 80s and during his time as Bond (especially in his debut with GE), he was popular in the minds of the general audience. Now he's been treated like a nobody. I think his agent and/or his PR are probably Pro-Craig minions.
FBF, if it's any consolation, Brosnan's post-Bond status and eclectic CV since Die Another Day will probably be beyond anything Daniel Craig musters. One of the last things Craig did before he was cast as Bond was a low-budget drama on BBC4 watched by about 20 people. That's probably where he'll end up again.

Once Craig leaves the Bond franchise he's just some bloke who played James Bond. He's the past. He's Timothy Dalton or George Lazenby. All the magazine covers, hype, PR nonsense,gushing interviews, preposterous Bond paydays, personal appearances at motor shows or whatever - all of it transfers directly from Craig to the next Bond actor. We've seen what box-office clout DC has without the Bond brand. ZERO. He's basically a complete nobody outside of the franchise.

And the Bond forums will have a fresh slate of fickle run with the crowd fanboys declaring the new Bond actor the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread. Tradition dictates that the last Bond actor gets a retrospective kicking once he is replaced. It happened to Dalton and it happened to Brosnan. Brosnan was the "best Bond since Connery" from 1995 to 2005. Once he was replaced by Craig he went from being the best Bond since Connery to the worst Bond ever.

If Pierce Brosnan spent the rest of his life as a recluse in his mansion and never made another film then so what? I don't think it really worries him. If a part in a potential blockbuster or a call from someone like QT came his way he'd do it but I don't think it keeps him awake at night.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

Barry Niven wrote:
And PB announced it in March 2004, one month after Dana Broccoli passed away to leave Babs in Control FOR REAL. So had Babs NOT come across the Almighty Dan Craggy from her private viewing of Layer Cake later on with the initial intent of hiring its director but being so awestruck by its nominal "star" that she just had to snatch him up as the Next Big Thing to foist upon MGM/UA/Sony/Columbia/etc.,
I vaguely recall a quote from Daniel Craig early in 2005 where he said that he was being kept in the loop regarding Bond because Barbara was an "old" friend. Broccoli did say once that she was bowled over by Daniel Craig as soon as she saw him make his entrance in Elizabeth (the 1998 biographical film). Whatever the truth, you wouldn't put it past her to have been planning this for much longer than anyone suspected.
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig
FormerBondFan
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Veronica wrote:FBF its like you are concerned with his career more than he is himself.
Yeah, he's doing fine as he keeps on staying busy, but at the same, he's not doing well as his works either get not so great reviews not getting the recognition they deserve. I know he has so much potential to prosper after GE not just Bond also his career as a whole. His Bond career did do him justice like he wanted as GE is his only classic. Because he didn't get his 5th Bond to have perfect closure to his Bond career, at least he still has his career, right? He may have made interesting films after Bond, but some of those films (though we enjoy them) could have executed better like NM for example. Sure he may not need this, but he deserves a third career (first and second being Remington Steele and Bond, respectively) what the latter could not. Bottom-line is he deserves career where his works gets better and better in terms of critical acclaim, and it doesn't have to be a franchise. It can be a long list of memorable films similar to Sean's career after Bond (though Sean himself made bad choices in the end) and Michael Caine's career right now. Because of his status as the best and most popular Bond since Sean (and I still think he is), I just believe Pierce's films (not just Bond) should be enjoyed greatly by the general audience as much as his fans. But based on Some Kind of Beautiful in terms of reviews and the way it's distributed, I guess I will allow fate to decide for his career. If fate decides Pierce to nosedive into Seagal territory, I guess I'll cheer on Christian Bale from now on. Like BJ said, if No Escape fails, find someone else to cheer on. Based on Bale's work, he's doing fine after the Bat, and I'm getting the feeling his upcoming works will achieve critical acclaim although they may not have the same success as his Batfilms (which by the way ended in a high note).
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Barry Niven wrote: Because, Sportsfan, QT wanted to make a James Bond Movie, NOT a Pierce Brosnan-trying-to-play-HIS-Version-of-but-not-actually-called-James-Bond movie-Just-to-Prove-HE'S-STILL-RELEVANT. The fact that QT lost all interest after PB got the axe from EON and never cast him in any of HIS movies for 11 years (and counting) should've been a big clue, but I suppose that's just a little too obvious to accept, innit?

(snipped for length)

At least, that's MY theory. But it makes the most sense to me, so I'm sticking to it. It's a hell of a lot easier for me to believe in than... the alternative.
As I recall, QT was very emphatic about wanting Pierce as Bond in his Casino Royale, and not at all complimentary about Craig. What killed the project was his desire to do it as an R-rated period piece set in the '50s, outside the main franchise.

And 11 years is only 2½ films. Tarantino is not exactly prolific.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

FormerBondFan wrote:
Veronica wrote:FBF its like you are concerned with his career more than he is himself.
Yeah, he's doing fine as he keeps on staying busy, but at the same, he's not doing well as his works either get not so great reviews not getting the recognition they deserve. I know he has so much potential to prosper after GE not just Bond also his career as a whole. His Bond career did do him justice like he wanted as GE is his only classic. Because he didn't get his 5th Bond to have perfect closure to his Bond career, at least he still has his career, right? He may have made interesting films after Bond, but some of those films (though we enjoy them) could have executed better like NM for example. Sure he may not need this, but he deserves a third career (first and second being Remington Steele and Bond, respectively) what the latter could not. Bottom-line is he deserves career where his works gets better and better in terms of critical acclaim, and it doesn't have to be a franchise. It can be a long list of memorable films similar to Sean's career after Bond (though Sean himself made bad choices in the end) and Michael Caine's career right now. Because of his status as the best and most popular Bond since Sean (and I still think he is), I just believe Pierce's films (not just Bond) should be enjoyed greatly by the general audience as much as his fans. But based on Some Kind of Beautiful in terms of reviews and the way it's distributed, I guess I will allow fate to decide for his career. If fate decides Pierce to nosedive into Seagal territory, I guess I'll cheer on Christian Bale from now on. Like BJ said, if No Escape fails, find someone else to cheer on. Based on Bale's work, he's doing fine after the Bat, and I'm getting the feeling his upcoming works will achieve critical acclaim although they may not have the same success as his Batfilms (which by the way ended in a high note).

I read nice reviews on How to Make Love like an Englishman. And I don't why should anyone concetrate on some actor's career. I concetrate on my life not someone else's. Especially when that someone is a movie star that I never met.
And I don't think if the next movie doesn't do well it will be the end of the world or career. Light up.
Althought I am with you on him being the best and most popular since Sean. That seems to be the opinion-where I live anyway.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Digital Spy poll on whether Henry Cavill should be the next Bond: http://beta.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/jam ... their-say/

Currently 81% say yes.