The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by FormerBondFan »

bjmdds wrote:Phelps returning as a good guy is a great idea FBF. Mail in your suggestion to Cruise.
The real Phelps died the day Peter Graves died. Hopefully, the Phelps played by Jon Voight turned out to bean impostor in either of the upcoming M:Is.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

FormerBondFan wrote:
bjmdds wrote:Phelps returning as a good guy is a great idea FBF. Mail in your suggestion to Cruise.
The real Phelps died the day Peter Graves died. Hopefully, the Phelps played by Jon Voight turned out to bean impostor in either of the upcoming M:Is.
I wouldn't hold your breath.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

THAT is a GREAT storyline by FBF and people would love it :!: :up:
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

So... I read how the role of Paris Carver was shortened in TND because aside Hatcher's pregnancy and her not liking the role- the test audience didn't like the character. Also the boat chase at the beginning of TWINE as well was added before opening titles because the test audience thought if the opening sequence was just Bond escaping the bankar's office that it would be a dissapointment..so then-how the hell did the character of Christmas Jones ended in the final cut of the film... :?: :!: if there was a test audience...
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Veronica wrote:So... I read how the role of Paris Carver was shortened in TND because aside Hatcher's pregnancy and her not liking the role- the test audience didn't like the character. Also the boat chase at the beginning of TWINE as well was added before opening titles because the test audience thought if the opening sequence was just Bond escaping the bankar's office that it would be a dissapointment..so then-how the hell did the character of Christmas Jones ended in the final cut of the film... :?: :!: if there was a test audience...
One of, if not the, worst Bond girls ever :!:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

A week ahead of its U.S. release, Avengers: Age of Ultron opened to $201.2 million overseas. According to Disney, it was up 44 percent on the first Avengers movie, and up 24 percent on Iron Man 3 (in local currency, not in dollars).

Its top market was South Korea, where its $28.2 million debut ranked second all-time. A large portion of the movie is set in South Korea, and a handful of the Avengers swung through last week as part of their worldwide promotional tour. It was also huge in the U.K., where it scored the biggest superhero debut ever ($27.3 million).

It also opened to $16.2 million in Russia, which is neck-and-neck with Furious 7 for the top opening ever. It was second all-time in Brazil ($13.1 million) and third all-time in Australia ($13.1 million). Other top markets included France ($12.4 million) and Germany ($9.3 million).

There are a handful of other major territories on the way, including Spain and Mexico next weekend. China, which is sure to be the movie's biggest market, doesn't open until May 12th. The first Avengers earned over $86 million, which was a massive result three years ago. With the way that market has changed in the years since, it's hard to imagine Age of Ultron making anything less than $200 million...............look for a $250+ million USA opening weekend box office :!:
Veronica
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love,GoldenEye,The Spy Who Loved Me,Goldfinger,Dr.No
Favorite Movies: After the Sunset,The Devil Wears Prada,The Thomas Crown Affair,To Catch a Thief,Midnight in Paris,North by Northwest, Purple Noon, La piscine.

Post by Veronica »

bjmdds wrote:
Veronica wrote:So... I read how the role of Paris Carver was shortened in TND because aside Hatcher's pregnancy and her not liking the role- the test audience didn't like the character. Also the boat chase at the beginning of TWINE as well was added before opening titles because the test audience thought if the opening sequence was just Bond escaping the bankar's office that it would be a dissapointment..so then-how the hell did the character of Christmas Jones ended in the final cut of the film... :?: :!: if there was a test audience...
The worst. She puts the movie down. well the character and the tonal mismatch that she creates and especially the Roger Mooresque ending... yeah-I know Tanya Robert was bad and all but that movie wouldn't have been better without her..and I don't find that movie to be that bad honestly. IMO the only actresses that truly know whats great and quality acting are Diana Rigg and Sophie Marceau. All the others went from good to tolerable..with exceptions like Tanya Roberts and well... Mrs.Charlie Sheen.
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Veronica wrote:
bjmdds wrote:
The worst. She puts the movie down. well the character and the tonal mismatch that she creates and especially the Roger Mooresque ending... yeah-I know Tanya Robert was bad and all but that movie wouldn't have been better without her..and I don't find that movie to be that bad honestly. IMO the only actresses that truly know whats great and quality acting are Diana Rigg and Sophie Marceau. All the others went from good to tolerable..with exceptions like Tanya Roberts and well... Mrs.Charlie Sheen.
I personally don't mind Stacey Sutton, and I don't find her much different from most of the other Bond girls. She does help Bond out on a few occasions, and she doesn't put up with Zorin's shenanigans. As for not being believable as a geologist, this is the world of James Bond where things are not super realistic. Bond himself isn't even believable as a real spy.

Although Christmas Jones is not my most favourite Bond girl, I was never really as bothered by her as most fans are. Jinx, on the other hand, is one of the few Bond girls I find kind of annoying.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

The Saint 007 wrote:
Veronica wrote:
bjmdds wrote:
I personally don't mind Stacey Sutton, and I don't find her much different from most of the other Bond girls. She does help Bond out on a few occasions, and she doesn't put up with Zorin's shenanigans. As for not being believable as a geologist, this is the world of James Bond where things are not super realistic. Bond himself isn't even believable as a real spy.

Although Christmas Jones is not my most favourite Bond girl, I was never really as bothered by her as most fans are. Jinx, on the other hand, is one of the few Bond girls I find kind of annoying.
Yeah Jinx was annoying. They went for another Wai Lin because that character was well-accepted and she often makes the cut as one of the best Bond girls. Halle Berry tried too much to be this and that and sexy and a female Bond... she was just annoying. Ursula Andress and Claudine Auger and many other Bond girls aren't the greatest actresess either but-a nuclear scientist? Bond girls don't have to be showy roles but it is insulting that so little thought went into that character and casting and bad decisions by all invoved guaranteed that for years when people think of TWINE they think of Christmas jokes and bad acting. A bonehead move. I myself don't mind Stacey in AVTAK that much. At least I can laugh and go along with it while with Jones I only want to bang my head and cringe every time she opens her mouth. You can basicaly feel how movie loses the quality the minute Xmas appears.
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

Isn't Stacey Sutton considered a bit silly because of her "James, James" yelling at the end of the film? Still Tanya Roberts is one of the most beautiful of the Bond girls I think.

Christmas Jones was probably too much of a Barbie doll to be believable, even in the world of 007.

I think Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles) was much better as a trained astronaut in Moonraker.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

Count_Lippe wrote:Isn't Stacey Sutton considered a bit silly because of her "James, James" yelling at the end of the film? Still Tanya Roberts is one of the most beautiful of the Bond girls I think.

Christmas Jones was probably too much of a Barbie doll to be believable, even in the world of 007.

I think Holly Goodhead (Lois Chiles) was much better as a trained astronaut in Moonraker.

Someone commented how "drink every time Stacey says James and you will die". :D her acting was so silly but at least I can laugh at it. Wasn't Holly Goodhead actually a CIA agent? Denise Richards isn't the only problem. in the movie there is absolutely no room for any other Bond girl aside Elektra and that's why the presence of supposedly incredibly young and brilliant nuclear scientist named Christmas is so infuriating.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

and The Saint-you are totally right about Bond not being the most realistic spy in the world. and that was one of the things why people loved James Bond. He was glamurous,with rolex watches,Savile Row suits and his fine brandies...he dealed with megalomaniacs who had grander than life plans with lairs under the water. He discussed champagne with villains. Never loosed his coolnes.Everone seemed to know his name. Even though he is a secret agent he is just that well-known.isn't that awesome or what?? :007: This "realistic"(yeah right) approach was totally uneccesary... now its like Bourne with a good portion of batman thrown around. In this economy depressed times all we needed was a depressed uncharismatic Bond who doesn't care about his martini.. You want something closer to real-world espionage(during the 70's)? Go watch "Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy".
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Post by carl stromberg »

Kristatos wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:
I don't know enough about Mission Impossible to make a comment on Phelps as a villain - but I think FBF has mentioned it before. Maybe if I watched the films and then the tv series again I would be annoyed.

I liked Tanya - the Bond films were supposed to be fun. :wink:
Bring back Bond!
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

carl stromberg wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:
I don't know enough about Mission Impossible to make a comment on Phelps as a villain - but I think FBF has mentioned it before. Maybe if I watched the films and then the tv series again I would be annoyed.

Bond movies at the very least were fun... even if they didn't have great plots,memorable Bond girls or something else they were at least fun. These last three movies are anything other than that.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

carl stromberg wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:

Actually, I think it was BJ who brought it up first, because it insulted his memory of the original show. I would think FBF was too young to remember the TV series, but you never know, what with reruns, oldies channels etc.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
The Saint 007
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me, A View To A Kill, Goldfinger, GoldenEye, For Your Eyes Only, Moonraker, Octopussy, Thunderball

Post by The Saint 007 »

Count_Lippe wrote:Isn't Stacey Sutton considered a bit silly because of her "James, James" yelling at the end of the film? Still Tanya Roberts is one of the most beautiful of the Bond girls I think.

I suppose the amount of yelling "James!" could have been toned down a bit. But fans will also say that Holly Goodhead is too wooden and monotone. I don't really have any problems with Stacey and Holly, but a lot of fans like to nitpick, especially when it comes to the Moore films.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

The Saint 007 wrote:

I suppose the amount of yelling "James!" could have been toned down a bit. But fans will also say that Holly Goodhead is too wooden and monotone. I don't really have any problems with Stacey and Holly, but a lot of fans like to nitpick, especially when it comes to the Moore films.
I don't see what's wrong with Holly as well...she was fine in my opinion.
Dr. No
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No
Favorite Movies: Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
SpiderMan 2
Empire Strikes Back
Shawshank Redemption

Post by Dr. No »

carl stromberg wrote:
Kristatos wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote:

Phelps being a bad guy was a turn off for me I watched the original series and thought Peter Graves was a legend. There was no reason he had to use that name and I didn't like the MI movies forgot the TV formula, it was not about a individual agent it was about the mission. The original show did a pretty good take on Casino Royale.
Chief of Staff, 007's gone round the bend. Says someone's been trying to feed him a poisoned banana. Fellow's lost his nerve. Been in the hospital too long. Better call him home.
Veronica
Agent

Post by Veronica »

This reminds me of Bond. :cig: