The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Alessandra »

Kristatos wrote:
FormerBondFan wrote: If it grosses lower than QOS' US opening, I'm good, but with next year being an anniversary, this I have a VERY bad feeling about.
I seriously can't imagine many people thinking "Well, I wasn't going to see the new Bond movie, but this is the 50th anniversary of Dr No. That changes everything".
LOL! Exactly. I don't see why people would take the 50th anniversary into account. Also, I don't think the advertising will cost less than it did for QoS. Impossible, not with a 50th anniversary movie PLUS inflation. And if they need £300 mln to break even (I can't even remember where that figure came from) that would mean a budget of £100 mln which is to say $160 mln.. a tad too distant from "same range as QoS" which costed $230 mln. I'd think their budget is $180 mln at the very least IF what Wilson said is to be believed. Which, as Mazer pointed out, is a BIG if, but I can't see why he'd shoot himself in the foot like that giving out a much higher figure for budget? That will make people do the math and require MUCH higher box office revenue in order to write that the film broke even or made money. In short, the film may be called a failure much more easily with such a higher budget compared to what was revealed at first, and while Wilson and Babs are idiots, I can't believe Wilson especially would be SO stupid. It's figures, people ARE GOING to know the real ones pretty soon regardless, so I seriously don't understand why he'd lie about something like that. There again I don't understand ANYTHING of what EON's rotted minds conceive, so that may be the problem :lol:

I don't think it will have a sensational opening week, and bear in mind there's still time for other movies to line up that same weekend. Regardless, won't the Disney one be released the week before? So all depends on how THAT fares in week 2 to see if Skyfail gets no.1 spot, not just on the Bond movie itself. I checked and I was right, Wreck-It Ralph is released the previous weekend, together with a BIG comedy from Paramount directed by Anne Fletcher, "My Mother's Curse" that stars Seth Rogen, Yvonne Strahovski (GOOD Bond girl material there!) and Barbara Streisand. Successful comedies can definitely have two top weekends in a row. So it depends on how that one does, too. And in any case, there's no way in hell Bond 23 gets top spot for more than a week since the following week the last Twilight movie is released and that's going to hit all the other movies, not just Bond, really hard. So I seriously wouldn't worry about it too much.
"Are we on coms?"
katied

Post by katied »

LOL-ing at Bond 23:Nothing Special. That's actually better than some of the names we've come up with-admittedly Spyfail and Spysh!t are two of my favorites. :happy spin:
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

LOL! Bond 23: Nothing Special is great. I'll adopt that one.
"Are we on coms?"
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

katied

Post by katied »

*shudder*. What does Babs the green vegetable see in him? :shock:
The Sweeney
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, GF, LTK, CR, FRWL
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

:lol:

Funny enough, I actually don't think he's aged that much since CR. He pretty much looks the same as he did then - like someone in his 40's. Maybe he looked too old for the part when he played CR (he was still in his 30's then) but he'll probably look the same as he does now when he's 50 - craggy is the best description.

I have this feeling he may stay on for another 2 movies at a stretch, but the BO takings will be a big decider in this. If Skyfall fails big time (which I can't honestly see happening) then Craig may decide to quit, but if Skyfall brings in similar numbers to CR and QoS, and EON/Sony spin it as another huge success (whether they actually make any clear profit at the end of it is another matter), then I think Craig will be comfortable staying in the role for at least another round, maybe even two.

I know many here won't want to hear this, but this is just the gut feeling I have right now. I really can't see this film failing spectacularly at the BO next year.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

First photo was tweeted by the official 007 account for the first "ACTION!" call for the movie. It's a uhm... rusty, dirty "bathroom" in the middle of nowhere. Or that's what it looks like. Promising I'd say. NOT :lol:

http://pic.twitter.com/mgzIWa5l

They started shooting TODAY. So hopefully that UNHOLY beard with which Craig showed up at the press conference is gone (let's not even comment on the utter bad taste he had both on matching shirt and tie to his suit AND on showing up for the press conf with that HORRID unshaven beard). One can hope at least that white and blondish thing he had on his chin has been actually shaven for the movie.

Sweeney, I have no problem hearing that you feel differently, actually I'm glad you posted and stated that. And since unlike others you're a civilized Craig supporter, it's good to hear what you think. I just don't happen to think, especially based on the trend for ticket sales and based on the other movies that will be released next year, that Bond 23 will even be able to be spun as a success. I think it won't do particularly well at the box office. I do NOT think it will spectacularly fail, but I also don't think it will do well, and not anywhere near CR attendance numbers. QoS wasn't a success however they spin it. "Oh I'm sorry I booked a loss but this was a successful project." UH? :lol: Not to mention the movie also received the lousy critics it deserved. Either you make a profit or you fail. It's a business, not a family gathering. Same applies to Bond 23. It either makes the studio book a profit, or it won't be a success. And given the current MGM situation, even more so. Booking a loss, regardless of how big it is, will be a bad blow for MGM. We'll see. If the production costs are those Wilson indicated, there's no way in hell they make a profit. If he lied (which like I said would be beyond stupid but with EON who knows) different matter depending on what the actual final cost figure is.
"Are we on coms?"
buffybond
Lieutenant

Post by buffybond »

I take it Alesandrayou have not seen the pictures of old man Dan on set with beard, rolled up chino's, desert boots and no socks.
More Primark[bargain basement clothing store in UK] than Tom Ford.
The Sweeney
Favorite Movies: Bullitt, The Long Good Friday, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Rocky, Superman the Movie, McVicar, Goodfellas, Get Carter, Three Days of the Condor, Butch & Sundance, The Sting, All the Presidents Men

Post by The Sweeney »

Alessandra wrote:First photo was tweeted by the official 007 account for the first "ACTION!" call for the movie. It's a uhm... rusty, dirty "bathroom" in the middle of nowhere. Or that's what it looks like. Promising I'd say. NOT :lol:

They started shooting TODAY. So hopefully that UNHOLY beard with which Craig showed up at the press conference is gone (let's not even comment on the utter bad taste he had both on matching shirt and tie to his suit AND on showing up for the press conf with that HORRID unshaven beard). One can hope at least that white and blondish thing he had on his chin has been actually shaven for the movie.

Sweeney, I have no problem hearing that you feel differently, actually I'm glad you posted and stated that. And since unlike others you're a civilized Craig supporter, it's good to hear what you think. I just don't happen to think, especially based on the trend for ticket sales and based on the other movies that will be released next year, that Bond 23 will even be able to be spun as a success. I think it won't do particularly well at the box office. I do NOT think it will spectacularly fail, but I also don't think it will do well, and not anywhere near CR attendance numbers. QoS wasn't a success however they spin it. "Oh I'm sorry I booked a loss but this was a successful project." UH? :lol: Not to mention the movie also received the lousy critics it deserved. Either you make a profit or you fail. It's a business, not a family gathering. Same applies to Bond 23. It either makes the studio book a profit, or it won't be a success. And given the current MGM situation, even more so. Booking a loss, regardless of how big it is, will be a bad blow for MGM. We'll see. If the production costs are those Wilson indicated, there's no way in hell they make a profit. If he lied (which like I said would be beyond stupid but with EON who knows) different matter depending on what the actual final cost figure is.
Hi Ale,
Had this been released last year, keeping in line with the usual Bond film every 2 years, I don't think it would have done very well at the BO. QoS was still too fresh in the minds for many people.

However, with a long gap, Bond films usually tend to do allright at the BO. Audiences flock back to see Bond when he's been absent for a few years. This is the feeling I have with this film too. It's been long enough for audiences to forget about the last one, and are maybe starting to miss Bond again.

So I think this will do fairly well at the BO for opening weekends at least, but if the film is in the same vein as the last one, then figures may well drop off....but I'm guessing Babs and co. will try to tick the same boxes that CR had. I think EON felt they struck gold with that formula, for both BO numbers and critics alike.

I'm fairly optimistic for now, but that could change once news starts leaking about the script.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

buffybond wrote:I take it Alesandrayou have not seen the pictures of old man Dan on set with beard, rolled up chino's, desert boots and no socks.
More Primark[bargain basement clothing store in UK] than Tom Ford.
Whaaaat??? Holy Mother of God. What is WRONG with those people! NO I haven't seen those, the one photo I saw was this one released from the official Bond account today since they started filming today. Were those released earlier in the day?

Sweeney, I do see your point. I just do not think the market has gotten better for movies, it's actually gotten worse. So regardless of the longer break, I think people are in any case less incline to go to the movies in general. I also don't think they forgot QoS. That was too disappointing for people to forget IMO. That said of course we'll see as things progress and hey, a miracle may also happen and they may manage to put together a far less horrid movie than QoS. The CR part I don't even take into consideration because like I said they kept saying QoS was going to be like CR and that they loved that formula (which I DID NOT LOVE at all) and that it was going to be a more classic Bond movie. And we all know how QoS turned out to be instead. So the fact they say it again now means nothing for now at least. If we get good news from set then hey, I'll be glad they learnt the lesson and understood they need to get the franchise BACK to what it was (not to CR, to classic Bond, that is), but so far it doesn't look like they learnt anything. Again you're right to say that all depends on what news we get as things progress. The photos for now aren't encouraging. I haven't seen the Craig ones but the bathroom one just :shock: and if Craig is wearing what is described above, then by all means I'm already VERY dissatisfied with the as usual incredibly un-stylish and un-Bond choices they are making. I'll be glad to be proven wrong, trust me.
"Are we on coms?"
buffybond
Lieutenant

Post by buffybond »

buffybond
Lieutenant

Post by buffybond »

Mr Smooth or what.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

buffybond wrote:Mr Smooth or what.
:shock: what the HELL is that. Short pants with no socks and Clarks shoes!?!?!??!?
"Are we on coms?"
The Sweeney

Post by The Sweeney »

Alessandra wrote:
buffybond wrote:Mr Smooth or what.
:shock: what the HELL is that. Short pants with no socks and Clarks shoes!?!?!??!?
:lol:
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

buffybond wrote:Image
Looks like he's gaining a bit weight.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

I believe Sweeney is correct and that DC will stay on for several more Bond films AS LONG AS THE GREEN VEGETABLE DESIRES HIM, not for any other reason. I don't think she cares about profits. I really think she has lost her mind. Cr-egg is looking more and more like the wrestler George 'the animal' Steele day by day :!: http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblo ... steele.jpg
katied

Post by katied »

Last night our PBS station was showing Page 8-a sort of political intrigue-y thing with Billy Nighy and Rachel Weisz. All I could think was "What does she see in Daniel Craig?" :D
shaken not stirred
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldeneye, the spy who loved Me, the world is not enough, goldfinger, live and let die.
Favorite Movies: Iron man,Iron man 2, avengers, goldeneye, dark city, back to the future, live and let die.

Post by shaken not stirred »

Alessandra wrote:First photo was tweeted by the official 007 account for the first "ACTION!" call for the movie. It's a uhm... rusty, dirty "bathroom" in the middle of nowhere. Or that's what it looks like. Promising I'd say. NOT :lol:

Rusted bathroom....the hell is this a saw movie or a silent hill movie (where it makes sense), either that or eons filming on the set of michael myers house.

Everytime babs does something stupid I'll use this pic (if anyone's seen royal family on bbcone you'll understand this pic),

Image Blooodey ell barbera. :lol:
Bond....James bond....Rest in peace (1964-2002)
Mazer Rackham
Q
Favorite Bond Movie: Thunderball
From Russia with love

Post by Mazer Rackham »

buffybond wrote:Image
Oh, Danny Boy is under cover as a day laborer. Makes sense :twisted:

The shame of it is big money is paid to dress that man.
"That f**king truck driver!" Ian Fleming
James
OO Moderator
OO Moderator
Favorite Bond Movie: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Favorite Movies: George A Romero's Dawn Of The Dead
Silent Running
Harold and Maude

Post by James »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ds-newsxml

"Absolutely does not live up to previous Bonds in the looks stakes, noddy ears and the biggest conk i've ever seen!!"
"I can't do that superhero stuff" Daniel Craig