The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
carl stromberg
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: The Spy Who Loved Me
Favorite Movies: Amicus compendium horror films
It's a Gift
A Night At The Opera
The Return of the Pink Panther
Sons of the Desert

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by carl stromberg »

I'm sure that in 2012 most cinemagoers will go "oohh a Bond film is out, the first for 4 years: who is playing Bond?", which means that although Craig made one of the worst films in cinema history in 2008 Bond 23 will still do well because it is a bond film. Ideally we need it to make $10 worldwide then someone will step in and tell Barbara to ditch Craig.
Bring back Bond!
English Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, CR, TB, LALD

Post by English Agent »

carl stromberg wrote:I'm sure that in 2012 most cinemagoers will go "oohh a Bond film is out, the first for 4 years: who is playing Bond?", which means that although Craig made one of the worst films in cinema history in 2008 Bond 23 will still do well because it is a bond film. Ideally we need it to make $10 worldwide then someone will step in and tell Barbara to ditch Craig.
Oh no.....EA's posting again!

Blimey...........that means only one person will be seeing the film to make $10? :D

But, i can think of at least 3 people who will see it......Me, Sweeney and Nash............so thats $30

oh i forgot 'BJ' will buy the DVD............another $10 :D .......only joking of course.

EA
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

The DVD of such trash woud be used as a cookie cutter. :lol:
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

English Agent wrote:I was cycling around Lake Garda, at XMAS, pigging freezing it was, but at least i got back to the hotel alive, which would of not been the case if DC in his Aston Martin, and the baddies in the ALFA's driving recklessly had been around at the time!

EA :D
Lord, that was such a mess. And so sad. We did think when they came over that it was foolish of them not to use Italian stuntmen... truth is no matter how good they are, ONLY an Italian would know their way around those routes, it's simply too different and too dangerous for a foreigner to handle, no matter how good they are. You need to have been there quite a few times to fully understand how to drive around there. Not even all Italians would manage to handle, you basically need to have spent a lot of time driving there to shoot such scenes safely. It was horrible when that guy had that horrible accident. Not to mention they had costs to shoot the sequence that were ridiculously high. They were unlucky with weather first off, so had to spend WAY more time than planned here, and they had to come back twice. Then on top of it the whole accident matter. It just wasn't a fortunate set of circumstances, and they sure paid the price for it.. literally given what the costs for this were :shock:

And, EA, just quick note: "Non c'è male" CHE is a relative pronoun (that/which/who) in Italian :mrgreen: But big points for clearly knowing the expression! :mrgreen:
I'm sure that in 2012 most cinemagoers will go "oohh a Bond film is out, the first for 4 years: who is playing Bond?", which means that although Craig made one of the worst films in cinema history in 2008 Bond 23 will still do well because it is a bond film. Ideally we need it to make $10 worldwide then someone will step in and tell Barbara to ditch Craig.
I, too, think many people will go see the movie, because it's been 4 years and it is a Bond film. I think if it gathers around 250 mln it will still be considered not good but it won't tank the franchise. So since I don't want risks here, I hope whatever it makes, that it's not less than that. If there wasn't any peril for the franchise, I'd definitely root for a worldwide disaster to teach Barbara a lesson. But, since the franchise can't afford to tank, I say let it do just ok instead of doing particularly well. Basically if it repeats the performance of QoS even, I think we're safe for Bond 24, they won't book a third consecutive loss and they'll definitely change formula (and actor obviously, but I think that'll happen regardless, unless Bond 23 rakes in a phenomenal amount of money, which I can't see happening given what it will be up against).

Pizza cutter, too? multiple functions at least :lol:
Last edited by Alessandra on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Are we on coms?"
English Agent

Post by English Agent »

bjmdds wrote:The DVD of such trash woud be used as a cookie cutter. :lol:
.....i'd thought you'd come up with a good use for the DVD.

EA
English Agent

Post by English Agent »

Ale wrote:
English Agent wrote:I was cycling around Lake Garda, at XMAS, pigging freezing it was, but at least i got back to the hotel alive, which would of not been the case if DC in his Aston Martin, and the baddies in the ALFA's driving recklessly had been around at the time!

EA :D
Lord, that was such a mess. And so sad. We did think when they came over that it was foolish of them not to use Italian stuntmen... truth is no matter how good they are, ONLY an Italian would know their way around those routes, it's simply too different and too dangerous for a foreigner to handle, no matter how good they are. You need to have been there quite a few times to fully understand how to drive around there. Not even all Italians would manage to handle, you basically need to have spent a lot of time driving there to shoot such scenes safely. It was horrible when that guy had that horrible accident. Not to mention they had costs to shoot the sequence that were ridiculously high. They were unlucky with weather first off, so had to spend WAY more time than planned here, and they had to come back twice. Then on top of it the whole accident matter. It just wasn't a fortunate set of circumstances, and they sure paid the price for it.. literally given what the costs for this were :shock:

And, EA, just quick note: "Non c'è male" CHE is a relative pronoun (that/which/who) in Italian :mrgreen: But big points for clearly knowing the expression! :mrgreen:
I, too, think many people will go see the movie, because it's been 4 years and it is a Bond film. I think if it gathers around 250 mln it will still be considered not good but it won't tank the franchise. So since I don't want risks here, I hope whatever it makes, that it's not less than that. If there wasn't any peril for the franchise, I'd definitely root for a worldwide disaster to teach Barbara a lesson. But, since the franchise can't afford to tank, I say let it do just ok instead of doing particularly well. Basically if it repeats the performance of QoS even, I think we're safe for Bond 24, they won't book a third consecutive loss and they'll definitely change formula (and actor obviously, but I think that'll happen regardless, unless Bond 23 rakes in a phenomenal amount of money, which I can't see happening given what it will be up against).

Pizza cutter, too? multiple functions at least :lol:

If you think of it.........that car chase could of been so much better than it was...........well it probably was quite spectacular, but it was put together by a pair of editors who probably couldn't of put a four piece jigsaw together. I imagine that the stunt team were dissapointed that their work was not shown more clearly.
Now to see how a really good car chase is filmed and edited, then look at the film 'Ronin'

Thanks for the language tip! :)

EA
katied

Post by katied »

Speaking of Bond related places, I am going to be in Miami.(We're going on a cruise that leaves from there).Pushing for us to stay at the Fountainbleu(seen in Goldfinger!) Hell, it's only for one night(we get on our cruise ship later on the day the next day, before which we'll probably sightsee) so why not?
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, Goldfinger, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, License to Kill, The Spy Who Loved Me.
Favorite Movies: Sabrina (the original), To Catch a Thief, Charade, High Society, Indiscreet. More recent: The Blind Side, Top Gun, Jerry Maguire, Someone Like You, Wolverine, Spy Game, Miami Vice, Fantastic Four, No Reservations, The Wedding Date, 27 Dresses, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, The Devil Wears Prada

Post by Alessandra »

katied wrote:Speaking of Bond related places, I am going to be in Miami.(We're going on a cruise that leaves from there).Pushing for us to stay at the Fountainbleu(seen in Goldfinger!) Hell, it's only for one night(we get on our cruise ship later on the day the next day, before which we'll probably sightsee) so why not?
I say do it!! :mrgreen: Totally worth it for one night. Spoil yourselves! :mrgreen:

EA, I agree the editing did GREAT disservice to that scene. Like it did to QoS in general. The fact the movie didn't have a plot, a convincing villain or the shadow of a convincing Bond girl didn't help either. Of course for me the fact there's no James Bond in it is the main problem :lol: But anyhow. That scene had so much potential and the scenery is so d**n beautiful. They wasted ALL the money they spent on it with the editing, plain and simple.

There are many great car chase scenes in Alias (the TV show). One of my favorites is in a garage when Jack saves Sydney from the bad guys, in season 1. The fact she has no idea what her dad is up to is obviously a great booster for the scene, but the way they edited it and directed it was awesome. And the "let's turn the car around to shoot them properly out of the blue" part was great, too.
"Are we on coms?"
katied

Post by katied »

I looked on Expedia and a few other places and a night at the Fountainbleu isn't too horribly expensive.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Bane and Catwoman in Batman 3? Just great. :->
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

katied wrote:I looked on Expedia and a few other places and a night at the Fountainbleu isn't too horribly expensive.
I went on cruise to western carribean MP out of Miami. Where are you headed?
katied

Post by katied »

San Juan Puerto Rico, Turks and Caicos, US Virgin Islands.And the cruise line's private island.That's at the start of the cruise.
Captain Nash
SPECTRE 01
Favorite Bond Movie: Octopussy
From Russia With Love
The Living Daylights
On Her Majestys Secret Service
Doctor No
Ah heck all of them
Favorite Movies: Lawrence Of Arabia, Forrest Gump, Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, Vertigo, The Odd Couple, Zoolander, Cool Hand Luke, The Great Escape...many more.

Post by Captain Nash »

katied wrote:San Juan Puerto Rico, Turks and Caicos, US Virgin Islands.And the cruise line's private island.That's at the start of the cruise.
If you're going to Puerto Rico katie, be sure to drop by and see Alec.

And if the private island is called Crab Key or looks like this
:arrow:
Image I'd suggest leaving a.s.a.p.
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

katied wrote:San Juan Puerto Rico, Turks and Caicos, US Virgin Islands.And the cruise line's private island.That's at the start of the cruise.
OMG Caribbean cruise I am SO jealous. I love love love the Caribbean. Been there twice already and I'm definitely up for many more! You're going to love it. Turks and Caicos has some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. It's stunning in terms of scenery. Same for Virgin Islands... man, I'm SOOO jealous! :martini:
"Are we on coms?"
Alessandra
Pam Bouvier

Post by Alessandra »

bjmdds wrote:Bane and Catwoman in Batman 3? Just great. :->
I am going against the tide here but I actually think Anne Hathaway could be great as Catwoman. It all depends on how she and Bale play off each other, but I've seen quite a few things she was in and I can totally picture her as Catwoman. In other news, now they'll let it go with Tom Hardy as Bond since he's signed with the Batman franchise. I never thought he was an ideal choice, but he sure looks the part more than Craig. To think Craig had my favorite Italian furniture brand all over the room in a scene AND filmed in my backyard... ironic really. Of all Bonds, I had to get HIM. Ugh. Now if they got Cavill to film in my backyard... :mrgreen:
"Are we on coms?"
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Anne Hathaway? A little disappointing. Olivia Wilde would be my choice. She was great in Tron after seeing her in that I though she would be a natural for Catwoman.
............ :007:
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

English Agent wrote:

If you think of it.........that car chase could of been so much better than it was...........well it probably was quite spectacular, but it was put together by a pair of editors who probably couldn't of put a four piece jigsaw together. I imagine that the stunt team were dissapointed that their work was not shown more clearly.
Now to see how a really good car chase is filmed and edited, then look at the film 'Ronin'

Thanks for the language tip! :)

EA
The car chase sucked. I don't know if it was the editing they should have looked at Forza and Gran Turismo to see how to do it. I think the real problem was the chase was too polished too professional. Never for one second did I believed Craig was driving or in the car. near the car . near a running car on a set . Sadly the CR car chase was better although it sucked too. I really hated the over the top flipping crap and I would have hit the bitch. A half awake driver could have pull it off and saved the car. They are just wasting the cars now. When that sweet BMW was destroyed in TWINE at least it was spectacular. When Bond used to lose a car it wasn't his fault and he appreciated what a d**n shame losing the car was.

I've always wondered why Ronin was not emulated more by spy movies. It is a good by the numbers how to do it good to spy movies, great chases, good story, good cast, Good thing about Nolan is he doesn't like to use CGi for stuff he can film CGI has ruined things each director is trying to push the limits in Michal Bay way for explosions and distruction on screen and don't actually do the stunts on film any more.
............ :007:
Thunderpussy
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: OHMSS, Goldfinger, The spy who loved me,Tomorrow never dies.
Favorite Movies: Jaws, Die hard series,Independance day,The matrix trilogy

Post by Thunderpussy »

I loved the car chases in Ronin,and Agree CGI is killing Real stunt work. I feel GCI is used too freely by directors when they face a problem they say " Oh we'll CGI something in ".
At least with a stunt man you feel some emotion,That a human is doing something amazing !
Running across the crocs, the spiral car jump, The ski jump,
are all better by us knowing SOMEONE is doing it, and not a CGI'd Character.
Not to mention all the out of work stunt guys who'll be holding signs " will crash your Car, for Food "
FormerBondFan
Favorite Bond Movie: The Dark Knight Trilogy, Mission: Impossible, Kingsman: The Secret Service and The November Man or any upcoming actioners starring Pierce Brosnan (no, it's not James Bond which is good since it will help him expand his reputation as an actor especially in the action realm)
Favorite Movies: Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Star Trek
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Harry Potter
Middle-Earth
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
The Mummy
Jurassic Park
Godzilla

Post by FormerBondFan »

Ronin reminds me of Bond, mostly because of the location.
Blowfeld
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger
For Your Eyes only
The Living Daylights

Post by Blowfeld »

The sun has a 'news' story, that I don't have the energy to bother reporting. I think it mostly rubbish apparently taken from another fan forum based on 'a friend of a friend told me this! Isn't this kewl!' kind of post. Some of it probably merits discussion, I happen to think is all rumour mill fodder.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... -film.html
"Those were the days when we still associated Bond with suave, old school actors such as Sean Connery and Roger Moore,"
"Daniel didn't have a hint of suave about him," - Patsy Palmer