The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

Oh no! Get well soon, George.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

bjmdds wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:38 pm James Bond star George Lazenby is in recovery after being hospitalised for a brain injury following a fall. The 84-year-old actor, who fell at his home last month, was rushed to hospital before being cared for at a California nursing home for the past few weeks. However, according to his management team, the veteran star is now on the mend and back in his Los Angeles home.
As someone who hit my head after fainting ..they took it VERY seriously and I had a zillion tests. When you get older the worry doubles, not just with injuries but with falls(or a combination of both.)
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
Irony-Man2
Lieutenant

Post by Irony-Man2 »

bjmdds wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:38 pm James Bond star George Lazenby is in recovery after being hospitalised for a brain injury following a fall. The 84-year-old actor, who fell at his home last month, was rushed to hospital before being cared for at a California nursing home for the past few weeks. However, according to his management team, the veteran star is now on the mend and back in his Los Angeles home.
Funnily enough, as I continue my chronological tour through Classic Bond, I just watched that most Christmassy of Bond films, On Her Majesty Secret Service. My thoughts as follows:

The Good:

1. The dialogue may be some of the best in the series;
2. The escape from Piz Gloria and ski chase may be one of the best action sequences in the series. Even though I know how it ends, I actually was afraid for Bond;
3. The Aston Martin DBS is a beautiful car, the closest Aston Martin ever came to making a traditional North American muscle car;
4. The score, as always when John Barry is involved, is spectacular. One thing I noted was that the actual "James Bond" thing really only appeared in the climax. It speaks to the strength of the score that you didn't notice the absence of one of the most iconic musical motifs in film;
5. The fights are edited in a way that shows how quick cuts and close shots can be an incredibly effective way to highlight action. It puts the "shaky cam" cam approach of modern film fights to shame

The Bad:

1. The climactic bobsled chase was anything but climatic. Obvious rear projection, incoherent close ups and a cringeworthy final quip, plus Blofeld getting away for no discernible reason;
2. The middle section does drag a little;
3. The iconic shot of Bond sliding face first with machine gun blazing, not only looks silly, but doesn't make tactical sense. As a hockey coach I use to hate it when my defence would go down on the ice trying to sweep the puck away from the forward on the rush. You have just removed yourself from the play. And lets be honest, if you fire a machine gun while sliding on ice your forward momentum will be converted to angular momentum causing you to spin in circles

The Ugly:

Let's be honest, (and I hope remakes a full recovery), there is a hole in the centre of the movies and it is Lazenby. It's not his fault, he was not an actor and it shows, he also does not have the screen charisma that all of the other classic Bonds had. And not to be mean, but he seemed to have a perpetual befuddled expression on his face.

Now that said, I 'm not sure that the Connery of that era would have been any better. The film needs a Bond who is lean, and tough, but also vulnerable, Maybe a pre-Goldfinger Connery could have done it. Dalton or Brosnan could have done it. And I I'm not sure that Moore could have done it, although his measured Bond moments in TSWLM and FYEO, may be enough to prove me wrong.

Overall though, I forgot how good, in almost everything, the film was. It's too bad that Peter Hunt never got to direct another Bond film as his style might have saved us from some of the excesses that subsequent Bonds indulge in.

Up next, James Bond will return in Diamonds are Forever.
MichaelZWilliamson
Lieutenant
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr No, From Russia With Love

Post by MichaelZWilliamson »

OHMSS had great fight scenes, but yeah, Lazenby didn't have the acting chops.

Have I really been gone for a decade? Apparently so. Checking things out again.
Recent work from Michael Z. Williamson
BATTLE LUNA (co-author), Baen Books, Jul 2020
FREEHOLD: DEFIANCE (editor), Baen Books, May 2021
THAT WAS NOW, THIS IS THEN, Baen Books, Dec 2021

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

MichaelZWilliamson wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:51 am OHMSS had great fight scenes, but yeah, Lazenby didn't have the acting chops.

Have I really been gone for a decade? Apparently so. Checking things out again.
It has been 10 1/2 years MZW. If you come back in another decade Cr-egg might still remain Bond, as Broccoli requires decades not years, to choose the next Bond actor.
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Decisiveness in not one of Babbzy’s strong suits.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

No Time To Die is on ITV again on New Year's Eve. I still haven't seen it, I'm really quite torn between "there's nothing else on TV that I want to watch" and "do I really want to do this to myself?"

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

It has not been on here yet that I can see in New York on tv. Just realize that it is the only Bond film that was made in the last 8 years, if you decide to watch it. I prefer the WWE wrestling shows to that garbage any night of the week.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

It is not even its first showing on ITV (one of the main broadcast networks here). The contract they signed was based on the original release date, before it got put back umpteen times, so it was shown less than a year after its theatrical release.
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

I’ll probably do a triple feature of movies on New Year’s Eve,time permitting.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

A Christmas Carol from 1938 with Reginald Owen is the BEST version in my opinion and will be on cable tv here this weekend. Image
Irony-Man2
Lieutenant

Post by Irony-Man2 »

bjmdds wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:42 am A Christmas Carol from 1938 with Reginald Owen is the BEST version in my opinion and will be on cable tv here this weekend. Image
I have to go with the classic "51 version with Alastair Sim.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

I watched the 1951 version many times. It is the second best one in my opinion but a bit too dreary and dark vs. the more uplifting 1938 version. The nephew in the 1938 version is the best performance of ALL of the versions ever done in my opinion. Image The 1935 rarely shown Seymour Hicks version is also OK but nowhere as good as the 1938 nor 1951 versions. Image
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

The best animated version is the 1962 Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol and the networks rarely air it any more for some unknown reason. Image The more modern versions are all junk compared to these older and better done versions.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

No love for The Muppets Christmas Carol in here?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Zack Snyder reveals his pitch for the James Bond series. Yes, it's as bad as you'd expect: https://www.cbr.com/zack-snyder-reveals ... ond-pitch/

Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:Zack Snyder reveals his pitch for the James Bond series. Yes, it's as bad as you'd expect: https://www.cbr.com/zack-snyder-reveals ... ond-pitch/

I thought we did young bond with the aging Craig as a rookie agent? It seems like most writers, directors and critics agree they need to reboot fresh after Craig, which nobody besides Babs thought they need to reboot if only because her casting couch choice couldn’t hack any of the other roles the other bond actors did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:No love for The Muppets Christmas Carol in here?
Actually a very good version if only for fozzywig. We still put it on every year for the nieces and nephews, although they’re starting to grow out of it. Wonder why we never did?

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:
Actually a very good version if only for fozzywig. We still put it on every year for the nieces and nephews, although they’re starting to grow out of it. Wonder why we never did?

I think there's a certain age where you become afraid to enjoy anything that seems childish. Most people grow out of it, though. I remember when I was a teenager trying not to laugh at Bugs Bunny cartoons in case I was deemed insufficiently grown up.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote:

I think there's a certain age where you become afraid to enjoy anything that seems childish. Most people grow out of it, though. I remember when I was a teenager trying not to laugh at Bugs Bunny cartoons in case I was deemed insufficiently grown up.

I think you’re right , by the time we started playing it for the kids we like the nostalgia of it.