The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by bjmdds »

Kristatos wrote:It's not just older people who suffer. I remember one time back in the States when my wife was suffering from insomnia and her doctor prescribed her a drug called Lunesta. It was only a course of 7 tablets, 1 per night, but by the end of that week, she was like a zombie. She was rambling incoherently, driving erratically and so on. It almost cost her her job; it could have cost her her life. I don't think it's even available in the UK, but I'm not sure about that. Either way, if you can't sleep, don't take Lunesta. This has been a public service announcement.
Years ago my sister was given ONE Levaquin antibiotic pill. She did not know who or where she was for 5 DAYS :!: The genius doctors said she had a rare brain reaction to this drug. When she straightened out after 5 days, she remembered nothing :!: Older people require MUCH lower doses of medications. Cold medicines once contained PPA, phenylpropanolamine, which can cause central nervous system reactions, as well as strokes, and it was offered OVER THE COUNTER to boot :!: :hair:
John P. Drake
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies.

Post by John P. Drake »

So... I got my Expanded Edition of the Die Another Day soundtrack by La-La-Land Records. Oh, the sound quality as well as some of the previously unreleased tracks in it made me feel like eight years old, again, when I first saw the film! It's sensational!
Goldeneye
Site Admin

Post by Goldeneye »

Kristatos wrote:It's not just older people who suffer. I remember one time back in the States when my wife was suffering from insomnia and her doctor prescribed her a drug called Lunesta. It was only a course of 7 tablets, 1 per night, but by the end of that week, she was like a zombie. She was rambling incoherently, driving erratically and so on. It almost cost her her job; it could have cost her her life. I don't think it's even available in the UK, but I'm not sure about that. Either way, if you can't sleep, don't take Lunesta. This has been a public service announcement.
Any of the special prescriptions for sleep are dangerous. What they do to the brain to cause sleep is actually pretty scary, Lunesta, Ambie, Sonata, all have bad side effects. Then there is a second class of sleep aids which are basically anti-depressants with sleep as a side effect. These as safer although anti-depressants can cause problems for people, some are another form of essentially muscle relaxants which also can cause issues for people who have muscle weakness and breathing problems.
For most people who have trouble sleeping, especially those who are sick and in constant pain antihistamines and stuff like melatonin and tryptophan do nothing for helping them sleep.

bjmdds wrote:
Years ago my sister was given ONE Levaquin antibiotic pill. She did not know who or where she was for 5 DAYS :!: The genius doctors said she had a rare brain reaction to this drug. When she straightened out after 5 days, she remembered nothing :!: Older people require MUCH lower doses of medications. Cold medicines once contained PPA, phenylpropanolamine, which can cause central nervous system reactions, as well as strokes, and it was offered OVER THE COUNTER to boot :!: :hair:
Ciprofloxacin can be dangerous too, commonly know as the treatment for anthrax and the plague, used for a great many things.
For older people the dosages is often dependent on their body mass and metabolism. A few years ago after the first hospital stay we started at zero working our way back to a good daily dosage. Tricky since some days are better than others. Right now we are not going back to full daily regiment, yet, but she is home and super excited about see the family coming in to visit over the holidays. We are probably going to move the pill organizer so we have to be the ones to hand the daily dose to her, hate it because it is taking another part of her independence away.
Count_Lippe
Agent

Post by Count_Lippe »

A few glasses of red wine usually makes you tired, better than taking sleeping drugs.

Red wine contains melatonin which is sleep inducing.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Star Wars: The Last Jedi delivered an estimated $45 million from Thursday evening previews last night, amounting to the second largest domestic preview gross of all time behind only Star Wars: The Force Awakens and 55% ahead of Rogue One's $29 million from previews last year. The film also began its international roll-out on December 13 in 14 markets where it has so far grossed an estimated $60.8 million. Overall, Disney reports the opening two days of The Last Jedi internationally are +63% ahead of Rogue One and only -25% behind The Force Awakens when looking at the same suite of markets and adjusting for today's exchange rates.
kater23
Moneypenny
Favorite Bond Movie: Goldfinger,Living Daylights
Favorite Movies: Animal House, Star Wars(original recipe)

Post by kater23 »

Huh..I get cipro sometimes(allergic to certain types of antibiotics)
I have no time for No Time To Die :lol:
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

MP, it can also cause achilles tendons and other tendons to rupture. It's a known fact. Levaquin and Cipro are the same class of antibiotics, Quinolones. Cipro is given out like candy for urinary tract infections. I hate that class of antibiotics. The best antibiotic I prescribed over the years is Keflex, for those not allergic to it, and it is 10-20% cross allergic to Penicillin.
kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

I knew that about the achilles tendon side effects. Had to take Keflex recently..was not my choice but it did work.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Industry estimates are even higher this morning for Rian Johnson’s Episode VIII now having earned $104M-$105M on Friday, easily the second best opening day after Force Awakens‘ $119M, and a three-day that’s between $216M-$220M, the second best ever behind 2015’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($247.966). I expected this to top $200 million, and it looks like it will do it easily. Some of the lower estimates last week seemed absurd.
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Um, yeah we just left last Jedi. It’s not better than empire by any stretch of the imagination. It’s better than the prequels but it’s too much like rogue one. I think Disney had no clue what made the original trilogy work. A lot happens but not enough to justify this be a epic worthy of star wars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

It has a 93% critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but only a 57% audience rating, which gives me a sneaking suspicion that it might be a little more front-loaded than Disney would like. However, they're still going to rake it in, so I doubt they'll be too worried. It got an A on Cinemascore, so clearly the initial response was positive, but audience enthusiasm might wane a bit in the coming weeks.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

The low audience rating is suspicious to me when JL was seemly artificially high.
Judging from the reactions around us most were pleased with it. Most conversations were about how good it was. I not there, it’s enjoyable and we’ll go back to see it at least once more to try to catch anything we missed the first time.
To me the problem without giving too much away is last Jedi forgot the balance set up in these battles the original trilogy and prequels establishes, this was much more rogue one territory far as the battles go.

kater23
Moneypenny

Post by kater23 »

Saw The Last Jedi this afternoon. In 3D(the best was to see it..yes it's more expensive but worth it. For what it's worth.. amazing. But I saw the original Star Wars movie in the theater as a young 'un, so there is some nostalgia there for me, to be sure.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

In-Justice League is now behind Wonder at the box office :!: :shock: It looks DONE :!:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

kater23 wrote:Saw The Last Jedi this afternoon. In 3D(the best was to see it..yes it's more expensive but worth it. For what it's worth.. amazing. But I saw the original Star Wars movie in the theater as a young 'un, so there is some nostalgia there for me, to be sure.

It’s a spectacular visuals and sound. I just don’t feel the story right for Star Wars at least the main Star Wars skywalker saga. I love the original trilogy can’t say how many time we watched the vhs tapes, these were the original movies before Lucas started making changes. Big part of me and my brothers childhood.
To me Last Jedi really feels like it slightly off.

I might change my mind, and I do think it was thoroughly enjoyable, plan to see it again with my family over the holidays. There’s still the thrill of seeing Star Wars in the big screen. That moment when the theme music starts still feel like a kid.

IMHO Disney had a good balance in Force Awakens reestablishing the original formula that made Star Wars work, it seems to me they got lost down the same rabbit hole Lucas did with the prequels of wanting to add intricate plot points and depth that they do not have time to develop. It is a good vs evils family saga it has got to be kept to a small scale far as motivations and back stories go.

I don’t think it’s a bad movie, I’m just not sure how I really feel about it in the scope of the saga.

Spoilers follow!!!!!

[spoil]Luke Skywalker who believed in Vader’s redemption to do what he does makes no sense.

His attitude about training a new student makes sense. His thing with the force does not nor does the final scene.

The mission to save the fleet was a waste of time, captain phasma was a waste. Bond alumni Del Toro was great but another waster character. He also feels like a character right out of rogue one.

The tracking deal made no sense or the solution. Kind of accepted the Force awakens super weapon because it was a updated Death Star idea, this seems to take it too far and give the first order too much of an advantage.

Under use of 3po, r2d2, Chewbacca and the falcon, they are their but pop in and out like it was a after thought to add them. Almost ever one of these minor gripes could be fixed with a longer movie or splitting the story up more like they did for the hobbit. At least with star wars the episodic format leave the possibility open where the hobbit was a short story stretched out to make WB and MGM billions[/spoil]

Napoleon Solo
Agent
Favorite Bond Movie: From Russia With Love

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Barbara Broccoli on a THR podcast. Begins around the 40:00 mark.

https://player.fm/series/awards-chatter ... -liverpool
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Topping $1 billion domestically after what has been said here might be an issue. We will see what the box office is after New Year's weekend. With Fisher dying, I would have thought this opening would have topped the last one.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

The holidays may help, i know my family will go at east two more times with nephews and parents , never thought I’d say this i am grateful JJ Abrams is back for the final

Last edited by Omega on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:Topping $1 billion domestically after what has been said here might be an issue. We will see what the box office is after New Year's weekend. With Fisher dying, I would have thought this opening would have topped the last one.
Well, we'll see what the opening weekend is, and how it compares to The Force Awakens and Rogue One, tomorrow afternoon/evening. Whilst Carrie Fisher's death gives an added poignancy to the film, I can't imagine it actually influencing that many people to go see it who wouldn't have seen it otherwise.
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Napoleon Solo wrote:Barbara Broccoli on a THR podcast. Begins around the 40:00 mark.

https://player.fm/series/awards-chatter ... -liverpool
was anything interesting said ?