The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

General Bond discussion from Sean Connery to Pierce Brosnan
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Re: The BJMDDS General Discussion Thread......

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote: I think this is the new Hollywood, even big names get modest salaries, because of the big budget flops.

Robert Downy jr only get big paydays because he was grandfathered in with a old contract from when hollywood promised 3 movies delivered one maybe two then recast or rebooted before big paydays come in.
So how do they justify paying Henry Cavill 35 times what Gal Gadot earned?
"He's the one that doesn't smile" - Queen Elizabeth II on Daniel Craig
Omega
Favorite Bond Movie: TLD LTK GE TND TWINE DAD OHMSS
Favorite Movies: Gladiator
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days of Futures Past
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:
Omega wrote: I think this is the new Hollywood, even big names get modest salaries, because of the big budget flops.

Robert Downy jr only get big paydays because he was grandfathered in with a old contract from when hollywood promised 3 movies delivered one maybe two then recast or rebooted before big paydays come in.
So how do they justify paying Henry Cavill 35 times what Gal Gadot earned?
I don't think there is reasonable justification but WB will probably say something like Cavills contract is older pre marvel/Disney serialized movie production which they are trying to imitate.

I dunno if that's true at all, but man of steel was by itself after dark knight ended then along came dreams of justice league

Man of steel was one of those production messes that WB started production in 2010-11 to avoid a lawsuit, then releases a finished film 2013. My guess is they were in dark knight trilogy mode where they pay talent more, I doubt Cavill would be paid the same today or any new superman.
How much did Amy Adams make for MoS? I wouldn't be surprised if it were more than Wonder Woman makes.

But Gadot deserves a much bigger pay day than affleck or Cavill, HArley Quinn too ( she was also great as Jane in Tarzan)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
............ :007:
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Ok
http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/gal-gado ... o-low.html

Cavill made six figures for MoS, Amy Adams made seven figures.

Supposedly the $14 million figure is incorrect for MoS

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote:Ok
http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/gal-gado ... o-low.html

Cavill made six figures for MoS, Amy Adams made seven figures.

Supposedly the $14 million figure is incorrect for MoS

Ah, OK. I'm as guilty as anyone of rushing to judgement without fully checking my facts, I suppose. The moral of the story is: if it sounds implausible, dig a bit deeper.
bjmdds
Favorite Bond Movie: Any without CR-egg in it.

Post by bjmdds »

It states "a source tells me" so how do you know his source is correct?
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote: Ah, OK. I'm as guilty as anyone of rushing to judgement without fully checking my facts, I suppose. The moral of the story is: if it sounds implausible, dig a bit deeper.
I believed it too. I'm not sure it's wrong only one place is saying these lower numbers, but just with Affleck you can see a double standard even if Cavill didn't make $14 million his first movie.
Problem may be the meme is too good, it what people have said about Hollywood for years, and it's probably still true

I keep thinking about all the stories about Craig trying to quit unless he was paid more, he pulled a stunt after CR, then after again and again until we have stories of Sony offering him ungodly amounts of money to make a movie in a series they as of 2015 have no rights to . Supposedly spectre failed to reach the target bo which would have made Craig more money.

In one sense I think these young actors deserve a taste of the big money when a movie hits billions or makes a lot of money. It seems if the movie is crazy big like Star Wars, beauty and the beast big these young actors get millions.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:It states "a source tells me" so how do you know his source is correct?
IMO the last ten years the term sources in reporting has come to mean next to nothing.
Used to be reporters would use "sources" to protect the person telling them about secret goings on. I'm not against Anonymous names to protect people except now it's a catch all to report anything they want to fit or creat a narrative.

It started in the entertainment press (I include sports) where "sources" are used to spin the truth to help studios and sports teams look good. And entertainment press was always good at turning a blind eye to bad behavior or writing hype to coincide with marketing pushes.
Now it's infected the main stream media who were supposed to have standards. I can name dozens of false stories in the last two years, last few months even credited to sources in whatever new term sound more official and ominous. Foreign intelligence, highly placed official in government/studios, people who may not exist or may be feeding information to support their cause .

This cause is women's rights in the Hollywood and the double standard these enlightened studios heads have. They belittle female directors and underpay women actors and Wonder Woman which was not supposed to be a hit is a bigger hit than expected.
I dunno if that Facebook post Kris had was a joke or not but it's true Wonder Woman being a hit / liked by audiences is a problem for the WB DC universe/Crapverse.

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Big news to me is the Han Solo directors were fired, this almost never happens Hollywood.

They are saying Kathleen Kennedy at Lucas films was too control freakish and these poor directors couldn't make their movie.

Normally I'd agree but like bond they are not making their own brand of movies or unique characters.
After seeing rogue one I don't have faith arthouse directors should be allowed to helm major projects like Han Solo. (It's freaking Han Solo you can't f'up Solo he's a national treasure. )
I'm not that confidant about the last Jedi director either.

We've seen what people who want to make their own take on a movie did to bond. And rogue one for me was not a great movie. It was interesting but didn't get why Star Wars was fun. 98% is story telling, but they want prestigious gets to be trendy in Hollywood.
Biggest mistake in the history of bond and could be for Star Wars too

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

bjmdds wrote:It states "a source tells me" so how do you know his source is correct?
That's true. But I find it easier to believe that Cavill earned a figure closer to Gadot's than the $14 million. Those sorts of paychecks normally only go to A-list talent; a Tom Cruise or a Will Smith. And I'm not even sure about them any more - anyone know how much Cruise got for (Show Me) The Mummy?
Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

Omega wrote: I dunno if that Facebook post Kris had was a joke or not but it's true Wonder Woman being a hit / liked by audiences is a problem for the WB DC universe/Crapverse.
I don't think it was a joke, it was an opinion piece. But I agree with the opinion. Has a replacement been appointed for Zack Snyder yet, after he had to pull out of Justice League due to a family tragedy? If WB are smart, they'll offer Patty Jenkins the job, providing she's not already tied up with WW2. Her brand of old-school heroism obviously resonates with audiences better than Snyder's cold Randian nihilism.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

She has a far better idea of what to make than Snyder.
How did this reboot series become his baby? He only got superman MOS because Christopher Nolan didn't want to make it but would help set up the universe for the superman movie. It then quickly became Snyder's vision of everything with Nolan's influence receding more and more. The D.C. Movie revival was supposed to be driven by Nolan to be like Nolan skillfully made dark knight trilogy. IMO all this hit the fan because 2012 was the avengers $1.5 billion dollar take and superman went from being lets get a superman series to complement the new Batman series to justice league yeah baby!

Wonder Woman would fit in nolans bat universe, so would The suicide squad to a lesser extent. The new joker and will smith can take a hike, take batfleck with you.

Oh one of my major gripes with batfleck is every movie his in as bats is his presence is aweful and wrong for Batman. Suicide squad for one, he shows up slightly wrong for Batman, then the back room dealings with the woman who set up the suicide squad was not Batman like (I say Batman because Bruce Wayne is a mask) But my biggest gripe is the beginning of Wonder Woman the note from Batman to Diana "hope you'll tell me your story some day" not something Batman would ever do. It's nice for the Wonder Woman story start a flash back with but they didn't need it and I bet it was forced on the script to try to tie the Snyder crap verse together

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

WW is slaughtering Man Of Steel's totals for the same time of release in the USA by almost $30 million so far for 20 days. :Happy: WW is the best DC film by far it seems of their recent releases.
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

WILMINGTON, Del. — People from all over the country are calling for a University of Delaware adjunct professor to be fired after she wrote on Facebook that Otto Warmbier "got exactly what he deserved" after being taken into custody by North Korea, falling into a coma and dying.

On her personal Facebook page, Kathy Dettwyler, an anthropology professor, wrote Tuesday that Warmbier was "typical of a mindset of a lot of the young, white, rich, clueless males who come into my classes."

"These are the same kids who cry about their grades because they didn't think they'd really have to read and study the material to get a good grade. ... His parents ultimately are to blame for his growing up thinking he could get away with whatever he wanted. Maybe in the US, where young, white, rich, clueless white males routinely get away with raping women. Not so much in North Korea. And of course, it's Ottos' parents who will pay the price for the rest of their lives."--------these college so-called professors can all go to hell once and for all and these deviant thinkers are corrupting the minds of America's youth :!: People are fed up with these liberals lunatics here :!: Image
bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

Image A menace to society :!: He talks about assassinations? :shock: Just a week after she filed for divorce last year, Amber Heard asked for a domestic violence restraining order against Depp, claiming the actor had been abusive on several occasions, including one incident that left her in fear for her life.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

bjmdds wrote:WILMINGTON, Del. — People from all over the country are calling for a University of Delaware adjunct professor to be fired after she wrote on Facebook that Otto Warmbier "got exactly what he deserved" after being taken into custody by North Korea, falling into a coma and dying.

On her personal Facebook page, Kathy Dettwyler, an anthropology professor, wrote Tuesday that Warmbier was "typical of a mindset of a lot of the young, white, rich, clueless males who come into my classes."

"These are the same kids who cry about their grades because they didn't think they'd really have to read and study the material to get a good grade. ... His parents ultimately are to blame for his growing up thinking he could get away with whatever he wanted. Maybe in the US, where young, white, rich, clueless white males routinely get away with raping women. Not so much in North Korea. And of course, it's Ottos' parents who will pay the price for the rest of their lives."--------these college so-called professors can all go to hell once and for all and these deviant thinkers are corrupting the minds of America's youth :!: People are fed up with these liberals lunatics here :!: Image
She had a point, but in a public tragedy you don't abuse the memory of a young man horribly murdered by a communist dictator.

I don't think he should of gone to n Korea but he didn't deserve to captured and tortured to death because of his nationality.

I think she deserve being fired or resigning. Every teacher should be held to the same standard imo

Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Hey Kris I got Logan on 4k bluray in the four disc collection is "Noir" edition of Logan ( I think it the same for regular bluray but maybe it isn't)

Having seen the movie What do you think of a black and white noir version of it?
I'm not sure, haven't watched it yet not sure when I'll get the time

Kristatos
OO Moderator
OO Moderator

Post by Kristatos »

They did the same thing with Mad Max: Fury Road. I don't know, I'd have to see it to comment. I don't quite understand the reasoning behind it. The movie that Logan referenced most was Shane, which was a colour film, so it's not a visual reference. And the genre it most resembled was the western, not film noir, where black & white is considered a trope of the genre.
Omega
John Wick
Pacific Rim
LOTR trilogy
RED
Kingsman
X-Men First Class
MI Rogue Nation

Post by Omega »

Kristatos wrote:They did the same thing with Mad Max: Fury Road. I don't know, I'd have to see it to comment. I don't quite understand the reasoning behind it. The movie that Logan referenced most was Shane, which was a colour film, so it's not a visual reference. And the genre it most resembled was the western, not film noir, where black & white is considered a trope of the genre.
I thought maybe I was missing something that made it edgy or hip.

If they did it for fury road I guess it's just a gimmick. The only thing I read about why is there were black and white photos from the set I guess somebody thought the fans could love it. I'd rather a real noir film set in the 1940s about Logan PI.

bjmdds

Post by bjmdds »

As for WB's Wonder Woman, it continues to live up to its protagonist's name, dropping only 39% in its fourth weekend in release. The film is now just shy of $320 million domestically and is now out-pacing all three of the previous DC Extended Universe releases as it now passes Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, which had brought in $311.3 million after the same number of days in release. To that point, Wonder Woman has already outgrossed the entire domestic run for Man of Steel, is ~$7 million away from outgrossing the domestic run for Suicide Squad and will surpass Batman v Superman's $330.4 million run over the next few days, which will make it the third largest DC Comics adaptation domestically, behind only The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. Overall, Wonder Woman has now topped $635 million worldwide as it currently stands as the sixth largest DC Comics adaptation of all-time worldwide.--------well she did it :!: I had hoped WW would top MOS and it did, and will do so by a wide margin when all is said and done, with a much smaller budget as well :!: :clap: :up: